Page 156 of 510 FirstFirst ... 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 ... LastLast
Results 3,876 to 3,900 of 12727
    20k in 2018, naaah.

Who's camping in an older 7.3 Diesel? Curious how they are cold starting without plugging in the block heater. A 20 below night seems like it could be trouble with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Who's camping in an older 7.3 Diesel? Curious how they are cold starting without plugging in the block heater. A 20 below night seems like it could be trouble with one.
    I was up until last year. As long as it had good batteries, it'd start without plugging it in. I wouldn't say it fired right up, but it never took more than a minute or three to get it started. If it was below zero, it definitely needed to idle for 5-10 minutes before it wanted to go anywhere.

I guarantee your neighbors will love the giant cloud of soot you inject into the lot as you try to get that thing warmed up. Why not plug the block heater into the generator for an hour or so before you leave?

Because getting a generator started at minus 20 degrees isn't all that great either. Why aren't generators fuel injected?

I read 20* not -20*. But even at 20* a cold 7.3 is not pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Skyfall View Post
    If anyone has a tiny home or an RV they are looking to park near Bozeman, we have some cool spots with epic views, nightly or monthly. We shut down the nightly in the winter but would make exceptions for skiers. $475/month. 45 minutes to both Big Sky and Bridger. You can check out more about it searching 'hip camp golden skyfall'.
    $27 a night to dry camp remotely in the third most sparsely populated state. Sounds great.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    $27 a night to dry camp remotely in the third most sparsely populated state. Sounds great.
    Word. Two posts; both spam.

Nobody gives a shit about your lameass sharing-economy Hipcamp farm. Monthly rates for dry camping in the middle of nowhere sounds awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

You guys are many steps ahead of me if you have a generator. Toast, did you do anything to your truck other than ensuring good batteries and glow plugs?

Get a Honda generator; add the propane conversion kit; profit. Quiet, easy start, no cloud of exhaust. Spendy, but not insane; $1k and you’ll have it for life.

[/drift]

my Honda eu1000i generator is 15 y.o., runs great, very quiet, 100% reliable so far. I run ethanol-free gas whenever possible (i.e., 95%+ of the time), use fuel stabilizer and change w/ full synthetic oil every 6 months

Make sure your batteries, battery connections/cables, glow plugs and relay, injectors, and starter are in good shape. Worn out injectors don't like to work well on cold weather starts.

Also run 5w40 T6 Rotella. Makes a huge difference in cold weather starting.

What year 7.3. I kind of regret selling my 97 but that truck was plain old worn out with 292k on it.

You guys are many steps ahead of me if you have a generator. Toast, did you do anything to your truck other than ensuring good batteries and glow plugs?
    Nope. Pretty much everything stock, at least as far as the engine goes.

I don't own a 7.3 but was thinking of buying one. Could use the extra torque of a diesel for my summer job but can't afford most newer diesels. I tow 6,000-9,000lbs almost 100 days a year. Currently driving an 08 2500hd with 6.0 gas. I like how easy it is to own a gas truck in the cold weather. Plugging in a diesel would not be an option most of the time for me. My concern is getting stranded at a trailhead or somewhere remote with a diesel I can't start on a cold morning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2192.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	251789Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0045.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	251790Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	251791Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	251792Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1903.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	251793A few pics of a "camper" in the back of my truck

^^^ That's sweet! It looks like a self contained unit. Can you remove the entire plywood box if you wanna use it like a regular truck bed sometimes?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I don't own a 7.3 but was thinking of buying one. Could use the extra torque of a diesel for my summer job but can't afford most newer diesels. I tow 6,000-9,000lbs almost 100 days a year. Currently driving an 08 2500hd with 6.0 gas. I like how easy it is to own a gas truck in the cold weather. Plugging in a diesel would not be an option most of the time for me. My concern is getting stranded at a trailhead or somewhere remote with a diesel I can't start on a cold morning.
    My 1991 Dodge Cummins diesel is one of the easiest starting vehicles I have ever owned but if it ever didn't want to start due to cold temps or weak battery then that is what a Honda generator is for. And if it is too cold for the Honda, then it goes inside the camper to warm up for 20 minutes.

We use a winter blend fuel for our fleet that helps a bit, but I like to also add some anti-gel to the 7.3's tank when it's going to sit at a trail head in negatives - https://powerservice.com/psp_product...-cetane-boost/

I've also got one of these heavy duty portable jumper packs to help the battery - https://www.cloreautomotive.com/sku.php?id=245

Lastly, I cycle the glow plugs for 1-2min and make sure they're warming up.

My 7.3 starts ok down to -20c, then it gets tough but cycling glow plugs it'll go. At -40c it needs block heater to be plugged in and hair drier in the intake.
    I use rotella 0/40 oil too which helps.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Yeah, it takes two people but you can lift the whole thing out in one piece. The first pic of the mess was a different layout, which was bolded into the bed sides.

-40c is colder than I plan on being in, but if I was in those temps I could run it every couple hours I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    ^^^ That's sweet! It looks like a self contained unit. Can you remove the entire plywood box if you wanna use it like a regular truck bed sometimes?

Picked up this bad boy recently
    65koriginal kms. Needs some maintenance issues resolved but in really good shape

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Picked up this bad boy recently
    65koriginal kms. Needs some maintenance issues resolved but in really good shape

Nice! What year? Carb or FI? That can really make a difference.

damn, skip is for real. nice.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...Nlg629mprT_PYy

No parking lots, but RV parks are great.