Page 385 of 510 FirstFirst ... 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 ... LastLast
Results 9,601 to 9,625 of 12727
    FWIW Bridger Bowl finally updated their website to show camping allowed with permission via email.....

Re: burned up camper van. As a former insurance claim adjuster, I used to say: "The thicker the file, the higher the payout". So lots of builder estimates, parts list, lots of documentation to make it easier for the adjuster to adjust upward.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Nice rig. Selling on behalf of parents = probably perfect condition.
    well that listing is already gone. not too surprising, I guess

FWIW Bridger Bowl finally updated their website to show camping allowed with permission via email.....
    and that is awesome!
    skid luxury

I'm planning to ski Arapahoe Basin Saturday, Sunday, and (likely) Monday, car-camping one night at a time in a stealth Suburban. My scouting for overnight parking has shown:
    - A-Basin does not allow overnight parking in any lots
    - It's frowned upon to park in the pull-offs on Hwy 6 between Keystone and A-Basin
    - Walmart in Frisco may be a decent last resort

A couple pull-offs on Montezuma Road just past Keystone might be of interest. One labeled "Power Line Parking Lot" on Google Maps, the other a little further down the road.

Does anybody have insight on these or others? Or, planning to ski A-Basin this weekend and want to link up?

Just sleep at fastfred or name redacted houses. They love guests. Neither of them live in Montezuma like a true Summit County bums ought to. They are real adults with actual insulation and working windows.

Nice looking All-wheel drive supercharged lifted Toyota previa in the Bay area under 5,500 bucks go get it Mags!!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...422135820.html

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Nice looking All-wheel drive supercharged lifted Toyota previa in the Bay area under 5,500 bucks go get it Mags!!

Sweet find. I saw a similarly situated (non-turbo) first generation Mazda MPV locally a couple months back. I had no need for it, but slightly kick myself for not picking it up. Those 4WD vans are tits.

damn, love this guy, that write up is as good as you could ever hope for. nowhere nearby, otherwise i'd snag it.

So I have done my best the peruse this thread for pertinent information but at this point it is quite lengthy. I’m sure my jong questions have been answered somewhere in here so my apologies in advance.

I am interested in a truck camper set up for my family of 3. I recently inherited a very low mileage late 90s Dodge Ram 1500 and I realize that marries me to a pop top or incredibly light hard top. I am aware that the prevailing advice in the thread is to just buy a 3/4 or 1 ton. Unfortunately, Grandpa made the wrong choice 25 years ago and the price is right for me now.

By my calculations my payload is approximately 1600 lbs. Even with a FWC or the like I am still going to be over my payload by some amount. I guess my question is how big of a deal is this really? Let’s say I keep it under 2000 lbs all in. It seems like very few people running 1/2 ton trucks are realistically keeping it under the payload capacity. I know it’s not ideal but people are obviously doing it. Is everybody running airbags? Am I instantly going to die!?

Apologies for the novel and the jong question that I am sure has been answered ad nauseam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ver iz ze money LePowski? View Post
    So I have done my best the peruse this thread for pertinent information but at this point it is quite lengthy. I’m sure my jong questions have been answered somewhere in here so my apologies in advance.

I am interested in a truck camper set up for my family of 3. I recently inherited a very low mileage late 90s Dodge Ram 1500 and I realize that marries me to a pop top or incredibly light hard top. I am aware that the prevailing advice in the thread is to just buy a 3/4 or 1 ton. Unfortunately, Grandpa made the wrong choice 25 years ago and the price is right for me now.

By my calculations my payload is approximately 1600 lbs. Even with a FWC or the like I am still going to be over my payload by some amount. I guess my question is how big of a deal is this really? Let’s say I keep it under 2000 lbs all in. It seems like very few people running 1/2 ton trucks are realistically keeping it under the payload capacity. I know it’s not ideal but people are obviously doing it. Is everybody running airbags? Am I instantly going to die!?

Apologies for the novel and the jong question that I am sure has been answered ad nauseam.

Air bags and/or leaf springs re-sprung and an extra leaf added, front and rear if possible. LT load range E tires. Allow extra distance between yourself and the car in front as stopping won't be the greatest.

. Your payload estimate is net of people, gas oil etc? Remember the quoted load capacity they give for a vehicle is empty, no fluids. You also need to be aware of the front/rear axle limitations. And while airbags or added springs will help keep the truck from riding on the bump stops, it won’t strengthen the actual axles, frame or help with slowing down a heavily overweight vehicle, especially since a 90 American pickup truck probably has rear drum brakes. Not to mention the added load on the wheel bearings. So if you overload it by 10% no problem, by 50% you are looking for trouble.

I appreciate the input.

Going off of what I have read elsewhere…

1100 lbs. Camper Dry Weight (hypothetically)
    +500 lbs water, batteries, food, gear, etc. (obviously an estimate and maybe I am way the fuck off)
    +350 lbs passengers, full tank of gas

For a grand total of 1950 lbs. Truck is old enough that it of course doesn’t have a listed payload inside of door. Im going off of what I can find online which is a 1600 lb payload.

I realize that there are some 1/2 tons with a higher payload but 1600 lbs. seems pretty standard and I see FWCs and the like on 1/2 ton trucks, tacomas, etc. all over the place. I guess my question boils down to how everybody is doing it when in most cases they have to be over their payload? Is this just the blind leading the blind and other jongs are making me think I can do it as well?

I appreciate the input.

Going off of what I have read elsewhere…

1100 lbs. Camper Dry Weight (hypothetically)
    +500 lbs water, batteries, food, gear, etc. (obviously an estimate and maybe I am way the fuck off)
    +350 lbs passengers, full tank of gas

For a grand total of 1950 lbs. Truck is old enough that it of course doesn’t have a listed payload inside of door. Im going off of what I can find online which is a 1600 lb payload.

I realize that there are some 1/2 tons with a higher payload but 1600 lbs. seems pretty standard and I see FWCs and the like on 1/2 ton trucks, tacomas, etc. all over the place. I guess my question boils down to how everybody is doing it when in most cases they have to be over their payload? Is this just the blind leading the blind and other jongs are making me think I can do it as well?

Tacoma =/= 1/2 ton. Max taco payload, meatbags included is usually in the neighborhood of 950# (dbl cab) to 1200#. To increase payload in a ~reasonably~ safe manner, one would look into springs/airbags, then look long and hard at a rear disc conversion. And even then, I wouldn't lush more than an extra couple hundred. I remember being sort of floored at how limited payload was, and just how quickly handling went to shit as the limit was approached. 900# Portland cement in the bed, I've never heard a truck make sounds like that before 😬.

Omg the 4x4 RV snow beast that holds 3 Motos INSIDE?!? And a bathtub?!?
    Is this a Mag?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/rvs...422805901.html

Posting the text from the link for all to drool when it gets deleted...

"1998 Bigfoot Oakland Super C Diesel 4x4 RV

Ultimate Skiing RV. I’ve used this rig from BC to Mammoth and it has never left me down. It has been well cared for and I would not hesitate to drive it to Canada today. These older Bigfoot RVs are prized for their construction and cold weather comfort. All glass in the RV is double pane (even the skylights!). Its very well insulated, the bottom compartments are also insulated and the tanks and water lines are heated. This is truly a 4 season RV.

This is the BEST model Bigfoot (30MH29G), with a huge under storage area. You could fit 3 motrocycles in there. I regularly had two bikes and 6 pairs of skis and there is still plenty of room.

It has seatbelts for at least 8 people. 4 have shoulder belts.

It can easily sleep two couples or 5 adults. Queen bed in the bedroom (mattress not included). Single bed above driver and passenger, fold out couch and convertible dinette.
    We would often remove the sleeper couch for more floor space (4 bolts). Makes it feel huge inside.

There is a water heater and bath tub, a bathtub!!!

This RV was originally from Canada (made in BC). I imported it legally into California and it has a clean CA title. This RV never needs SMOG, one less thing to worry about.

Drive like a dream, goes 65mph over donner summit no problem. Can easily cruise at 70mph or faster if you like.
    Completely ready to go. I was planning to spend all winter in it, but plans have changed."

Is this a Mag?
    Not sure, but this one is (not me) and it's in the same price range, though a different category.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...s-an-Airstream
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

You'll be far more comfortable and safer w a travel trailer.

As far as a TC add springs and tires and go from there. My Tundra w added springs handles a FWC Hawk model w ease, but it's tight w 2 people, can't imagine having a 3rd person/gear w us.

Is this a Mag?

Ultimate Skiing RV. I’ve used this rig from BC to Mammoth and it has never left me down. It has been well cared for and I would not hesitate to drive it to Canada today. These older Bigfoot RVs are prized for their construction and cold weather comfort. All glass in the RV is double pane (even the skylights!). Its very well insulated, the bottom compartments are also insulated and the tanks and water lines are heated. This is truly a 4 season RV.

This is the BEST model Bigfoot (30MH29G), with a huge under storage area. You could fit 3 motrocycles in there. I regularly had two bikes and 6 pairs of skis and there is still plenty of room.

It can easily sleep two couples or 5 adults. Queen bed in the bedroom (mattress not included). Single bed above driver and passenger, fold out couch and convertible dinette.
    We would often remove the sleeper couch for more floor space (4 bolts). Makes it feel huge inside.

This RV was originally from Canada (made in BC). I imported it legally into California and it has a clean CA title. This RV never needs SMOG, one less thing to worry about.

Drive like a dream, goes 65mph over donner summit no problem. Can easily cruise at 70mph or faster if you like.
    Completely ready to go. I was planning to spend all winter in it, but plans have changed."
    Uhhh yeah that is the top of the mountain

Get a pop up, or something that your truck can realistically handle. Shit gets heavy when you add water, grey/black tank, food, etc. I have Dodge 2500/airbags with 2,000lb camper for me, wife, kid. I wouldn't run this camper on a 1/2 ton. As far as space, we lived in this for three months this summer when we moved down from Alaska, waiting for house to be built. We've also done a bunch of 4 week trips. Family of three in truck camper is totally doable.

Name:  IMG_1624_Fotor.jpeg
Views: 952
Size:  71.7 KB

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Get a pop up, or something that your truck can realistically handle. Shit gets heavy when you add water, grey/black tank, food, etc. I have Dodge 2500/airbags with 2,000lb camper for me, wife, kid. I wouldn't run this camper on a 1/2 ton. As far as space, we lived in this for three months this summer when we moved down from Alaska, waiting for house to be built. We've also done a bunch of 4 week trips. Family of three in truck camper is totally doable.

Name:  IMG_1624_Fotor.jpeg
Views: 952
Size:  71.7 KB
    I’m definitely cognizant of the fact that I need to keep the dry weight low. At the risk of getting snaked, what says the collective about something like this? The price seems a little steep but it has some nice features.

Last edited by Ver iz ze money LePowski?; 01-28-2022 at 11:44 PM.

I’m definitely cognizant of the fact that I need to keep the dry weight low. At the risk of getting snaked, what says the collective about something like this? The price seems a little steep but it has some nice features.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/r...431680972.html

It would be very interesting to get a scale weight ready to camp. It is narrow below the top of the bed and, also wondering about interior height.

Why do all that work, pay for all those expensive parts and now sell it?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/r...431680972.html

First thing I would ask him about in regards to price is why he is claiming the planar diesel heater is $2,000+ upgrade. Buying from them their most expensive is $1,800 Canadian and that is for large boats up to 50'. It's not just overkill but much less suitable for the task (the one for smaller RV's adjusts to 8,200' vs 5,200' for the larger more expensive ones). The Planar heater best suited for this size would be in the $900-$950 CAD range. I don't see anything else he is obviously inflating but I would check. Also consider he is stating this is an upgrade to a propane heater which means you should subtract the cost of a propane heater (don't get me wrong i still think they are superior to propane and that's the most important reason to get one plus there are many cheaper ones available.)
    Last edited by powdork; 01-14-2022 at 04:39 PM.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Is this a Mag?

Wow. That is pimp.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    First thing I would ask him about in regards to price is why he is claiming the planar diesel heater is $2,000+ upgrade. Buying from them their most expensive is $1,800 Canadian and that is for large boats up to 50'. It's not just overkill but much less suitable for the task (the one for smaller RV's adjusts to 8,200' vs 5,200' for the larger more expensive ones). The Planar heater best suited for this size would be in the $900-$950 CAD range. I don't see anything else he is obviously inflating but I would check. Also consider he is stating this is an upgrade to a propane heater which means you should subtract the cost of a propane heater (don't get me wrong i still think they are superior to propane and that's the most important reason to get one plus there are many cheaper ones available.)
    Planar heater might be 2k upgrade if you include labor cost to install/configure, removing propane unit.

Planar heater might be 2k upgrade if you include labor cost to install/configure, removing propane unit.
    They have been very upfront with known issues and super helpful so my impression is that they aren’t intentionally bullshitting. My issue was that they found a leak in the cabover area when they originally purchased it. They had the cabover professionally ripped out and repaired down to the aluminum with provided verification. As a jong this was a deal breaker. Should I not be concerned since this was professionally addressed? It seems like if there was one problem there will inevitably be another and at that price point I’m having a hard time stomaching that.

Is this a Mag?

seems odd that it had 65,000 kms on it when it sold in 2019 yet now it has 65,000 miles on it....

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...oot-rv.211134/