Page 218 of 510 FirstFirst ... 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 ... LastLast
Results 5,426 to 5,450 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I considered doing that on mine (since mounting on the roof has various downsides). I concluded that the boxes weren't really designed to take loads in non-traditional directions and opted out of the idea. I'd originally planned on building my own box that could handle it, but laziness triumphed over that idea.

edit: or are you just talking about running it flat like normal, but mounted crossways on the vehicle? In that case, seems like the question just depends on the structure inside the back wall of the camper, and whether you can securely mount a bracket.

Pretend that bike is a rocket box^^^

The plan is using 2" tube steel and come out of the tow hitch like a bike rack and have it mounted horizontally and flat, like designed. There will be welding involved. The width is less than my rig so I assume its kosher?

With the trailer light plug you could easily add lights too.
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    Pretend that bike is a rocket box^^^

The plan is using 2" tube steel and come out of the tow hitch like a bike rack and have it mounted horizontally and flat, like designed. There will be welding involved. The width is less than my rig so I assume its kosher?

With the trailer light plug you could easily add lights too.
    Yeah, that makes sense. Seems pretty straightforward, as long as there's nothing you need easy access to at the back of the camper. You'll probably want one of those hitch stabilizer clamps to keep the setup from banging around too much due to slop at the hitch.

Ok, after running all the mental exercises, maybe, just maybe a 4x4 van makes more sense for my next rig than a 3/4 ton longbed truck. Or maybe not. But can we talk about it for a minute? Id love these three things,in order of importance, but not a sprinter:
    4x4, diesel, high roof.
    Any factory domestic 4x4/awd vans i need to know about? I did a quick look for a chevy express awd, not many out there. Occasional Fords, but are they all aftermarket 4x4? Not much else.
    Aside from a 4x4 short bus, which would suck for fuel economy, any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Ford transit AWD available for 2020 models. Other then what you listed, Toyota Sienna. Sprinter and converted older 4x4 fords and chevys are the only diesels out there I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Ok, after running all the mental exercises, maybe, just maybe a 4x4 van makes more sense for my next rig than a 3/4 ton longbed truck. Or maybe not. But can we talk about it for a minute? Id love these three things,in order of importance, but not a sprinter:
    4x4, diesel, high roof.
    Any factory domestic 4x4/awd vans i need to know about? I did a quick look for a chevy express awd, not many out there. Occasional Fords, but are they all aftermarket 4x4? Not much else.

Other idea: used 4WD ambulance?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I’ve considered an ambulance as well; unfortunately I work in EMS so I’d be inclined to nuke it from orbit with something really vigorous before before I’d be comfortable calling it a living space.

Gravity always wins...

I guess some Febreeze isn't gonna cut it, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

4x4, diesel, high roof.

Why do you want a diesel? They cost more up front, require More maintenance, stink, fuel is more $(in BC) hard time starting below -20c.
    Unless you're pulling 10,000lbs daily I would go gas myself(which I did for a work truck based on this)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Why do you want a diesel? They cost more up front, require More maintenance, stink, fuel is more $(in BC) hard time starting below -20c.
    Unless you're pulling 10,000lbs daily I would go gas myself(which I did for a work truck based on this)

Lucky to get temps to +20f in Washington.

But other than that, pretty much on the money.

If I was shopping for a van it’d be a new ford awd transit.

I’ve considered an ambulance as well; unfortunately I work in EMS so I’d be inclined to nuke it from orbit with something really vigorous before before I’d be comfortable calling it a living space.

Haha. I think this every time I see a converted ambulance. The stuff I've seen happen in the back of ambulances can never be fully cleaned.

Yeah, diesel if definitely not as important as 4x4. Probably more a want than need.

Gravity always wins...

Mitsubishi Delica

Diesel 4x4 van

A wee bit cramped

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Mitsubishi Delica

Diesel 4x4 van

A wee bit cramped
    And right hand drive, that's a deal killer for me.

Aren't ambulances (especially 4WD ones), heavy AF and get 5 mpg? They can be had pretty cheap, but the fuel cost would be vicious.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Aren't ambulances (especially 4WD ones), heavy AF and get 5 mpg? They can be had pretty cheap, but the fuel cost would be vicious.
    Likely 9ish mpg with a diesel at reasonable speeds.

If I had the budget I'd shoot for a 2020 AWD transit, otherwise a V10 ford van. 7.3s are awesome but 7.3 4wd vans are bringing stupid money right now.

just watched this a couple days ago by chance, if you have the time it’s worth the full watch. guy is super chill and intelligent

https://youtu.be/wssu8Wp9W74

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Likely 9ish mpg with a diesel at reasonable speeds.

If I had the budget I'd shoot for a 2020 AWD transit, otherwise a V10 ford van. 7.3s are awesome but 7.3 4wd vans are bringing stupid money right now.
    I have heard horror stories of the v10 spitting spark plugs out. The 351 in my 89 E250 does just fine but it is a little hard on fuel, it averages 12-13 mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    I have heard horror stories of the v10 spitting spark plugs out. The 351 in my 89 E250 does just fine but it is a little hard on fuel, it averages 12-13 mpg.

We have the V10 in our class C and agree the spark plugs are a weak point. Ford installed two piece plugs that tend to break when attempting removal plus the heads are a little short on threads. At 100,000 km I had the dealer change the plugs (nightmare job especially with the dog house) and let them worry about it. Other than that it is a great engine. Very powerful and much smoother than the big V8s I have driven.

Have experienced the V10 spit a plug. You'll certainly know it when it happens. Helicoil and all good. Exhaust manifold bolts are a bitch as well.

Spotted in the Market Basket parking lot just over the Sagamore Bridge on Cape Cod. Kitty cat was hanging out. It was tricked out inside and a few small lights were on but didn't want to piss off the owner if he was in there by taking a picture. Cool little HDTV antenna off the back. Grumman is badass. I would almost take this over an Airstream

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

probably covered before but........thoughts on highlander for sleep package?...what kind of headroom with rear seats out? as much as sienna? what about mpg?
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

'82 Sunrader for $900 in the Central Sierra Foothills. Listing says it has 77k and runs.
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9735121902680/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

built by 5' tall people for 5' tall people
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    '82 Sunrader for $900 in the Central Sierra Foothills. Listing says it has 77k and runs.
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9735121902680/
    Sunraders had a big rear axle recall. If it’s got five lugs (instead of six) on the rear, stay away.

Lots of rear axle failures on Toyota chassis RVs of that era, not specific to any brand. Some people retrofitted them with 8-lug GM axles.