Page 175 of 508 FirstFirst ... 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,375 of 12697
    Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    You guys would be amazed at the size of the trailers that I see snowmobilers tow on Rabbit Ears and Togwotee passes. Massive RVs towing them. Lol those rednecks are braver than us.
    Same on the Yellowhead (both #5 & #16) here. And no slouches on maintaining top speed either.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Have you used it in the winter?

I've never owned one, but thought about getting something along those lines. The internet told me they're cold, drafty, and really bad about moisture condensation. But I dunno.
    The internet is right. I owned an Aliner Expedition for several years.

The up sides were the ease of towing, high clearance/independent suspension (on our model) for accessing more remote areas, and ease of setup/takedown.

The downsides were water leakage around the bubble type windows due to the window material flexing at different rates than the camper material, very poor quality workmanship that resulted in constant rebuilding and reinforcing things, and the high price. You definitely pay for the convenience of towing and quick setup. The water leakage issue was only when stored, so if you have covered storage probably not a huge deal. I ended up using some roofing type sealer that finally took care of our issue though.

While we found it great for summer camping and for the convenience of a quick lunch/dinner pull over while travelling, it was not a good winter camper at all on the two times that I used it for hunting and another time on a ski trip. Condensation tends to build up along the edges of the panels that open up and the foam insulating strips then end up freezing to the metal making take down a PITA. I ended up tearing foam strips and having to replace them.

We sold it and happily went back to tent camping but bought a screenhouse for cooking/bugs/shade. For winter forays, I have been eyeing some of the Bigfoot RV trailers. Build quality sounds much better and they are truly meant for cold weather camping. However, they aren't cheap. I would still take the Aliner over a regular soft side pop up for warmer weather camping hands down. It really is amazing how quicking the a-frame type trailers go up and down. It took a minute or two at most outside of screw jack placement (which I highly would recommend). But there are definitely better winter options.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    My truck takes about 15 -20 minutes to unload or load with electric jacks. it's really nice. old hydraulic jacks took a long time.
    Same here, although my electric jacks suck a lot of juice. I wouldn't want to dump the camper while on the road unless I could plug in or if I had enough driving ahead of me that the batteries would recharge off the alternator (which quite a bit of driving to get a full charge). I suppose I could also just bring a generator, but usually I don't and don't need to.

Same here, although my electric jacks suck a lot of juice. I wouldn't want to dump the camper while on the road unless I could plug in or if I had enough driving ahead of me that the batteries would recharge off the alternator (which quite a bit of driving to get a full charge). I suppose I could also just bring a generator, but usually I don't and don't need to.
    scoff! How do you play ps4 without the genny?

I'm ashamed at how many lunches I've microwaved this year. There's no excuse for that, but one thing that's been really critical about the genny is that I can completely dry out the camper and everyone's gear on a wet day with buck of gas (boot driers, 900w space heater plus furnace and fantastic fan for a few hours).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    scoff! How do you play ps4 without the genny?

I'm ashamed at how many lunches I've microwaved this year. There's no excuse for that, but one thing that's been really critical about the genny is that I can completely dry out the camper and everyone's gear on a wet day with buck of gas (boot driers, 900w space heater plus furnace and fantastic fan for a few hours).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    My 9 year old 2000watt Honda generator just died and while the engine runs fine, repairs to the inverter/generator will run close to $1000CDN and a new replacement 2000watt gen is $1150. However it turns out that there now is a new 2200watt Honda gen out and since I start a 7-8 week truck camper Ikon Pass road trip next week, I will be picking up 2200watt Honda on my way thru Montana for $1000US.

I use an infrared electric space heater set on Eco mode, battery charger, boot dryer, computer etc. and was still able to run the Honda gen on the lower revving, quieter, more fuel efficient Eco setting. If I am parked at a spot where i can run the Honda gen, then I do, savingthe batteries and propane for keeping the camper warm during the day for the dog.

Sleep in your new to you RV in a ski area parking lot.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...4x4-conversion

Putting aside any issues with driving a trailer in the winter, I see the main benefit of bringing a trailer being that you can drop it at camp and have an unencumbered vehicle for driving around. But at least for my ski trips and winter camping excursions, I wouldn't really do that. I drive to some mountain pass and camp there for a couple days while I tour. Or drive to some resort and ski there, with maybe a quick drive to town for dinner. The vehicle doesn't move that much, so being able to drop the camper doesn't gain me a lot.

In the summer, on the other hand, I'm much more likely to set up a camp and then drive all over the place in that area. Set up camp in moab and use the truck to drive around to various trailheads and run shuttles. For that, being able to drop the trailer is a huge benefit.
    That line of thinking is what drove our process.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Pulling a trailer in winter is no big deal with a proper truck with good tires.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post

I guess I'd add:

"with good trailer brakes and a good brake controller and knowledge of how to use them and properly adjusted"

and

"with a substantial amount of non-winter trailer experience"

and

"with whatever gene on learned aptitude is required to have some basic level of competence regarding trailers"

and

"with a vehicle that isn't being maxed by the trailer, specially if an automatic"

Some people got in, some people don't. Big heavy, long trailers with brakes go down the road in the winter so much better than light, short trailers with out brakes.

Trailer skills are another one of those blue collar redneck things than Kahki Kenny gives no respect. Is it hard? No. But you ain't gonna learn it is a day from watching a YouTube.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I guess I'd add:

"with good trailer brakes and a good brake controller and knowledge of how to use them and properly adjusted"

and

and

"with whatever gene on learned aptitude is required to have some basic level of competence regarding trailers"

and

"with a vehicle that isn't being maxed by the trailer, specially if an automatic"

Some people got in, some people don't. Big heavy, long trailers with brakes go down the road in the winter so much better than light, short trailers with out brakes.

Trailer skills are another one of those blue collar redneck things than Kahki Kenny gives no respect. Is it hard? No. But you ain't gonna learn it is a day from watching a YouTube.
    All true, although having grown up pulling horse/stock trailers over Beartooth pass in Montana and the old man yelling at me while im backing up and turning around on a logging road it all seems second nature to me and I have a hard time fathoming how people fear them so much.
    Then I get in a truck with some asshat who has never pulled one and I totally get everyone's reluctance.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8234.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	264834
    Last edited by teleee; 01-16-2019 at 02:48 PM.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    All true, although having grown up pulling horse/stock trailers over Beartooth pass in Montana and the old man yelling at me while im backing up and turning around on a logging road it all seems second nature to me and I have a hard time fathoming how people fear them so much.
    Then I get in a truck with some asshat who has never pulled one and I totally get everyone's reluctance.
    Common sense isn't so common.
    When I lived in Bozeman and was working on high end homes we'd pull a big heavy dump trailer pretty often. It's not hard by any means but there are a lot of people who don't have the natural instinct to understand how backing up a trailer works or can't process the mechanics of what happens when they rotate the truck one way, etc. Those same people are the ones who don't understand why going 85mph down I90 with a fully loaded trailer Is a bad idea.
    Seemed like the accidents with trailers were usually the khaki dad's with rental sleds not the blue collar types (not that there aren't dumb rednecks or good khaki wearin trailer drivers).
    I think it all comes down to experience and common sense. Don't buy a giant trailer and pull it through a snowy pass before you take it out in the summer and get used to how it reacts.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Famous Last Words

I have had some white knuckle moments in an 8800lb 4x4 truck camper with good tires that I managed to keep rubber side down but if I had been pulling a trailer at the time...IDK. There is a reason that vehicles pulling trailers over Teton Pass are NOT allowed to do so during winter months, regardless of road conditions or tire condition.

Quote Originally Posted by irratator View Post
    Famous Last Words
    Ha! i hear ya but I pull a skid steer and trailer up to the resort lots and sled trailers up logging roads and don't have any issues. Again common sense and oh say 30 years with trailer experience helps.

The difficulty happens with poorly weighted trailers(not enough tongue weight), to much speed and or to small of tow vehicle(mini van, small suv).

If you've never pulled a trailer in the summer i suggest not learning in winter.

I am anxious to start working on the e250, have to get it ready for a spring road trip. Planning a month of vanlife through south west bc and northwest murica.

The bed is to short being an east west layout for both the wife and myself so I Need to tear out the closet and toilet and add a sliding section for north south sleeping arrangement.

Then brakes, shocks, exhaust, tires and a tune up for mechanical inspection.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

I can only speak to the A-Liner (never towed in the snow), but we dig ours. Sets up in minutes, wife likes the perceived security of the real, locking door.

Heats and cools quick and easy. Electric heat is dry, but as mentioned good bit of condensation with propane. They’re only slightly better built than other campers we looked at. It’s the only pop up I personally would own, despite the additional expense. Biggest issue is that we’ve outgrown it.

No way I’d buy new. We got ours cheap cause it had some issues. The cracks in the dome windows are easy to fill and hold up, and I took care of the separation issue with copious quantities of Eternabond. I don’t give a shit about appearance, I just want it sealed. Older ones that are well take care of can be found for pretty cheap, and they can hold up decently well (if well cared for). I’ve yet to come across one that didn’t have some signs of leaking, though.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Where do folks park around Alta or Snowbird? Came down to SLC to sleep at a Walmart and they have signs saying no overnight. Same at Alta itself.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_games View Post
    Where do folks park around Alta or Snowbird? Came down to SLC to sleep at a Walmart and they have signs saying no overnight. Same at Alta itself.
    pm'd u

p.s. also get this one time pay app for walmarts...."ALLSTAYS" its like $1 or $5 or something...good stuff tho, funny comments from users too
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Got it thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_games View Post
    Got it thanks
    that's what we're here for....
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Excuse me while I go change my shorts.

I guess I'd add:

and

and

and

AND
    "You can't be in a hurry"

It also helps if you aren't trying to pull Gigantor trailer 6000 with an un-loaded regular cab pickup.

Yesterday marked the start of 4-6 weeks on the road looking for powder. 100% touring, and the primary objective is Rogers Pass, but we will detour as conditions dictate. Name:  15487231974121.jpeg
Views: 1023
Size:  91.5 KB

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

please adopt me
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Yesterday marked the start of 4-6 weeks on the road looking for powder. 100% touring, and the primary objective is Rogers Pass, but we will detour as conditions dictate. Name:  15487231974121.jpeg
Views: 1023
Size:  91.5 KB
    "Yeah, that's right. Tucker McElroy, lead singer, driver of the Winnebago."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdCc-IEKaD0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.