Page 278 of 510 FirstFirst ... 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 ... LastLast
Results 6,926 to 6,950 of 12736
    Quote Originally Posted by atree View Post
    I would be surprised if this hasn't come up already somewhere in this thread, but I haven't found it. Can anyone recommend a small heater that a poor boy like me can use to heat the back (canopy) of a pickup truck for an hour or two at night and an hour in the morning? I just want something to stay warm when not sleeping without poisoning myself with CO. Seems like the heater buddy things could work, but not ideal. Nor is sleeping in the back of a truck in winter. Thanks.
    no experience but have heard some have good luck with a 12v heated blanket. could also be used along with a buddy heater before/after sleeping.

I just bought a little buddy and the low setting is not low enough IMO. it frickin' cranks hard at the low setting, it's super hot to the touch if you bump into it, and in my van there is not much of a safe space for it with 2 dogs and kids.

This: http://www.campingworld.com/camco-ol...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    But it's basically the same as a Buddy Heater. A little smaller profile.
    Option 2: is a Chinese diesel heater, but that is a whole other ball of wax.

Ive heard really good things about the Chinese diesel heaters. If you have a semi-permanent installation that would be a great solution for al night heat. They burn like a gallon of fuel in 24 hours on high or something like that.
    Can be had for around $200.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

yes, I have entered the rabbit hole on chinese diesel heaters. Tons of info on FB and youtube. They can be had for about 150 and then you either need to run it to your leisure battery or a Solar Generator type gizmo, like a Jackery or Goal Zero. But here is the catch: The start up uses glow plugs to get the heat going. This pulls excess of 10 amps. 10A is the max for Jackery etal. But I found another Chinese knockoff brand by "Audew" they have a jump start option which can handle the >10A pull for start up. I will be test firing this weekend. Happy to answer questions.

I installed a Chinese diesel heater in my boat last month and it works well. I'm thinking of buying another and building my own portable version in a toolbox like this guy. Could be strapped to the roof rack and fed through a window with an adapter panel. Food for thought...

The combo of a roof tent and a diesel heater is ridiculous.

Reminds me of a car I saw yesterday, note the 'It's flat' re-lettering on the car. I have no idea what is on top.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5067.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	488.1 KB 
ID:	350867

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    The combo of a roof tent and a diesel heater is ridiculous.
    I don’t disagree on the rooftop tent silliness, but ducting the heater into a truck topper, SUV, or van seems pretty reasonable.

I use a Kovea Cupid for exactly what you are describing. I've used it for 2 hours at a time without dying. I never could find out what the CO output is on these (if any?).

http://kovea.com/product/cupid/

It puts out just the right amount of heat for me at the lowest setting. A Butane canister lasts about 5 hours on low.
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    ...I have no idea what is on top.

Name:	IMG_5067.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	488.1 KB 
ID:	350867
    A Floor Tom from a drum set
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    A Floor Tom from a drum set
    You’d think that would fit inside a van.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    You’d think that would fit inside a van.
    He's a flat earther. Problem solving is not his forte.

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    I use a Kovea Cupid for exactly what you are describing. I've used it for 2 hours at a time without dying. I never could find out what the CO output is on these (if any?).

http://kovea.com/product/cupid/

It puts out just the right amount of heat for me at the lowest setting. A Butane canister lasts about 5 hours on low.
    Thanks for the ideas. This one looks good. Maybe just get one of those and a co monitor.

The diesel drum mod is a no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I don’t have any experience with these but this one looks pretty cool for a portable unit

https://www.walmart.com/ip/All-In-On...580622&veh=sem

This with a FWC = rad

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIZRIp8g...d=in8h1wdg23le

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by phatboy64 View Post
    I don’t have any experience with these but this one looks pretty cool for a portable unit

https://www.walmart.com/ip/All-In-On...580622&veh=sem
    Those diesel heaters don't cycle well though, so you want the lowest BTU rating ones available or you will turn your whatever into a sauna. 8Kw is the equivalent of an 8,000 watt space heater, which is about the same power a steam room generator has for a 250 cubic foot enclosed space. So that should give you an idea of what is likely to happen in the back of a van or small camper. Some of them that are sold as 8KW units are actually much less though.

I looked into them but the thermal controls are atrocious. The Espar ones are more expensive for a reason, and that is that they can cycle on and off with a reasonable range of temperature.

Of course for right around $150 you have little to lose as an experiment.
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

Buncha northern lites and bigfoot slide ins on Seattle Craigslist today FYI. Thought someone was looking for one

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    Buncha northern lites and bigfoot slide ins on Seattle Craigslist today FYI. Thought someone was looking for one
    Sweet. Would be nice to have a big older diesel truck for this application.

Couldn’t find any of em, my CL skills must be lacking

Gravity always wins...

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Couldn’t find any of em, my CL skills must be lacking

I found a couple big foots and a northern from December 3rd and 4th on there. Gotta scroll a bit.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

headed to Reno tomorrow to pick up a lightly used one of these

https://www.leer.com/truck-cap/122

Name:	Image1607229172.952384.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	351405

gonna build a stealth sleeping and storage unit

rocket box and basket going on the cab

hittin’ the fkn road this season
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

wait till there's more than a foot of new snow

Yea I don't know about Rvs thats fuckingfancy. I'll be sleeping in my highlander. So which ikon resorts let you camp in their parking lot?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Jackery update:

So, off a fully charged jackery 1000 got a full ten hours of heat from 90 watt small heater that plugs in bringing the crew cab of a diesel truck to about 50 def F inside. (ftr: i use a memory foam mattress cut to fit back of crew cab pu truck space) It was toasty with a down bag and slept in boxers. No open or cracked windows. No frost on windows when i woke up. total stealth looked like a work truck parked from outside (tinted and window blackouts from inside.
    100W (110v) heater I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DW3Z6W0I&psc=1

Next day charged from the road thru cig adapter only got to 66% charge after a day of driving. Consequently heater
    ran about 6 hours. Colder temps higher elevation. Went to sleep easy woke to chilled face still no frost. Turned truck on ran truck heater for about 20 min, and then turned off and got another approx hour of heat in cab.

I am concerned about this rig parked on storm day with snow piling up on solar panel. Pow day with sun could be a-ok. Also,will solar get me 50% , 75%, 100% charge in short winter daylight? not sure. I think maybe asking someone to let me leave jackery plugged into their wall 110v during day could remedy some of the charging issues if at a "ski area". Off grid would need diff o.p..

I will report back with results in diff conditions
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....