Page 180 of 510 FirstFirst ... 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 ... LastLast
Results 4,476 to 4,500 of 12727
    Starting to shop for a replacement truck...

Should I be looking at Dodge 2500/3500 also? Are Chrysler transmissions still shit?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Starting to shop for a replacement truck...

Should I be looking at Dodge 2500/3500 also? Are Chrysler transmissions still shit?
    My 91 Dodge 4x4 with Cummins 12v has a 5 sp manual trans made by Getrag (they also supply to BMW) and it is definitely NOT shit.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    My 91 Dodge 4x4 with Cummins 12v has a 5 sp manual trans made by Getrag (they also supply to BMW) and it is definitely NOT shit.
    Any of the newer Dodge / ram diesels that come with the manual tranny are detuned. They make substantially less power/ torque than the auto versions.

I think Chup is looking at gassers? Honestly, I think most of this is just what people like and Calvin taking a piss up on others. All of the big 3 and Toyota make good trucks. Pick what you like.

That said, if you are talking about the 6.4 hemi, my anecdotal feedback is that a couple of my friends have them as work trucks and they get sub 10 mpg.

I'm looking at relatively recent (last 10 years, approx) 3/4 or 1 ton gas 4WD trucks, must be 8' bed. The sturdiness of a Getrag/ Magna manual transmission from 28 years ago isn't relevant here.

Every manufacturer has turned out shit product or shit parts/design. Some are easier to deal with (GM IFS parts - just keep replacing), some much more expensive (Ford 6.0 diesel).

AFAIK, the Chrysler 5.7 and 6.4 V8s have been reliable, and I don't have any real concern about the axles or transfer cases. Just the transmissions, based on following Jeep for years as they used an endless sequence of marginal Chrysler transmissions.

I have no particular brand loyalty here. Nissan and Toyota trucks don't have the payload ability to hold my camper, other than maybe the Titan XD, but that's probably out of the price range. Also don't know if they offer an 8' bed with a crew cab.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'm looking at relatively recent (last 10 years, approx) 3/4 or 1 ton gas 4WD trucks, must be 8' bed. The sturdiness of a Getrag/ Magna manual transmission from 28 years ago isn't relevant here.

Every manufacturer has turned out shit product or shit parts/design. Some are easier to deal with (GM IFS parts - just keep replacing), some much more expensive (Ford 6.0 diesel).

AFAIK, the Chrysler 5.7 and 6.4 V8s have been reliable, and I don't have any real concern about the axles or transfer cases. Just the transmissions, based on following Jeep for years as they used an endless sequence of marginal Chrysler transmissions.

I have no particular brand loyalty here. Nissan and Toyota trucks don't have the payload ability to hold my camper, other than maybe the Titan XD, but that's probably out of the price range. Also don't know if they offer an 8' bed with a crew cab.
    Allison Transmission in my ‘15 GMC Duramax 2500. Hauled the 30 ft 5th wheel twice through Canada starting from CA.
    A few issues: A radiator leak that had to be fixed. Then some DPF exhaust issue, but was covered by federal emissions warranty standards. Will be deleting the DPF system in the future to let her breathe.
    Damn happy with it. 4x4 is a dream getting to and from the ski hill with plenty of clearance

My 2015 ram 2500 5.7 has been great except for ball joint replacement at 85,000km but it's a plow truck. Had exhaust manifold bolts replaced at 60,000km too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

What's your budget? If you can forgo some creature comforts, well maintained fleet vehicles can be a great deal. Brokers often know how to cherry pick the good ones. Around here Fords seem like they are usually the best value. You looking for a 4dr or just and extended cab?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    What's your budget? If you can forgo some creature comforts, well maintained fleet vehicles can be a great deal. Brokers often know how to cherry pick the good ones. Around here Fords seem like they are usually the best value. You looking for a 4dr or just and extended cab?
    Budget is trying to keep it low, as it's a truck for camper use (3-season) and winter beater - in other words, not a daily driver. Looking at Autotrader, it looks like I can pick up a Ford 250 4WD, 6.2L gas, extended cab or 4 door, 2011-2013, 120-140K miles, around $16-19K. That looks pretty good to me.

Lower trim line is just fine. Vinyl floors would actually be nice to have - that's in my truck now, and I clean it with a broom. Definitely do not need or want a King Ranch or some luxo trim line.

Budget is trying to keep it low, as it's a truck for camper use (3-season) and winter beater - in other words, not a daily driver. Looking at Autotrader, it looks like I can pick up a Ford 250 4WD, 6.2L gas, extended cab or 4 door, 2011-2013, 120-140K miles, around $16-19K. That looks pretty good to me.

Lower trim line is just fine. Vinyl floors would actually be nice to have - that's in my truck now, and I clean it with a broom. Definitely do not need or want a King Ranch or some luxo trim line.
    I would say the Ford 6.2 2011 and newer is your answer for sure. The Ford 6.2 IMO is a hidden gem. Everybody wants the 6.7 Powerstroke because America loves shit they don't need for the most part. I see 2012+ newer Ford 6.2's all day long for sub 20k and their diesel counter-parts are still 30k+ easily. The Hemi name draws a certain kind of crowd, and don't seem to be as abundant. Chevy/GMC I don't know much about in recent years.

I have a 2002 Dodge 2500 24v Cummins with 308k miles on it that I daily drive, been relatively trouble free minus tranny rebuild at 275k(expected), and to be honest...I am just tired of old, knocky diesel technology that need to warm up forever or be plugged in etc. I have had multiple diesels before that. The new diesels though are plagued with emission standards, blow the older diesels out of the water in every shape, towing, hauling capacity and form minus repair costs. But, as everybody is aware, you are paying premium price.

The gassers have more payload capacity anyways, which is perfect for people like us who are putting campers on them etc.

I tried searching, so apologies if this has been spoken to before, but I couldn't seem to wade through all the results to find a decent answer. I'm thinking of staying at the Donner Pass Sno-Park this weekend and riding Squaw. How is their parking lot for a dog in the van throughout the day? I haven't been there in almost a decade, but if I remember correctly you end up parking relatively far from the lifts due to the mountain village. If you get there early enough, are there spaces available close enough to easily let the pup out a couple times throughout the day?

Don’t stay at Donner. Go past Tahoe City to Blackwood Canyon. Across the road from the lake, even has a long walkway out over the water. You will love it.

Squaw is trying to make it less convenient, but dog breaks can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Don’t stay at Donner. Go past Tahoe City to Blackwood Canyon. Across the road from the lake, even has a long walkway out over the water. You will love it.

Squaw is trying to make it less convenient, but dog breaks can be done.
    ¡Thanks for the tip!

The search nears an end. I have zeroed in on a Lance 855 and an Adventurer 86SBS. Both are four season, both fit my truck and both have decent layouts with full baths. The Lance is used and significantly cheaper. No generator, though. It is wired for one and I have a Honda EU2000i that I can boondock with. It also has Yakima roof rails set to fit some crossbars where I can mount my ski box... even if that's way the F up there.

The Adventurer is dialed and has a slide-out.

If things go well, there will be a Mt Bachelor test run tomorrow and Sunday.

STOKED!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    The search nears an end. I have zeroed in on a Lance 855 and an Adventurer 86SBS. Both are four season, both fit my truck and both have decent layouts with full baths. The Lance is used and significantly cheaper. No generator, though. It is wired for one and I have a Honda EU2000i that I can boondock with. It also has Yakima roof rails set to fit some crossbars where I can mount my ski box... even if that's way the F up there.

The Adventurer is dialed and has a slide-out.

If things go well, there will be a Mt Bachelor test run tomorrow and Sunday.

STOKED!!
    Sunday at bachelor should be good testing conditions. Enjoy!
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Stoked for you! Also gonna drop a steamer on your parade route, but not one that can't be navigated around....

You have a 3/4 ton and a 4k lb wet weight camper with either of those. That's 1k more than my wet weight with a 1-ton, and my rear axle is nearly maxed.

You might even need to upgrade to 19.5-inch wheels/tires with that much weight. Need a license plate that says "porky." Slide out hard sides are for 1-ton trucks and preferably long-bed duallies, regardless of suspension upgrades. Can it be done? sure. Will you love it? probably. But I still think you'll look back on this as french-frying when you shoulda pizza'd. Then again, I'm a pussy, so ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Stoked for you! Also gonna drop a steamer on your parade route, but not one that can't be navigated around....

You have a 3/4 ton and a 4k lb wet weight camper with either of those. That's 1k more than my wet weight with a 1-ton, and my rear axle is nearly maxed.

You might even need to upgrade to 19.5-inch wheels/tires with that much weight. Need a license plate that says "porky." Slide out hard sides are for 1-ton trucks and preferably long-bed duallies, regardless of suspension upgrades. Can it be done? sure. Will you love it? probably. But I still think you'll look back on this as french-frying when you shoulda pizza'd. Then again, I'm a pussy, so ymmv.
    It's all good. You're my voice of reason. Nothing wrong with that. And I hear what you're saying. Of all the advice I've been given and solicited - it's all over the place.

The thing that I can't wrap my head around is that both those campers I listed are marketed for and towards 3/4 ton trucks with 6.5' beds, which, if looking at the numbers, does not compute. And yet; here are manufacturers telling consumers that they can.

It's all good. You're my voice of reason. Nothing wrong with that. And I hear what you're saying. Of all the advice I've been given and solicited - it's all over the place.

The thing that I can't wrap my head around is that both those campers I listed are marketed for and towards 3/4 ton trucks with 6.5' beds, which, if looking at the numbers, does not compute. And yet; here are manufacturers telling consumers that they can.
    They're doing what it takes to sell campers by telling consumers what they want to hear and building what they want to buy wether it's prudent or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    They're doing what it takes to sell campers by telling consumers what they want to hear and building what they want to buy wether it's prudent or not.
    Yep, they don't care if you're legal. All about the $$. Same goes for 90% of RV dealers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A 4k lb wet weight camper requires a 1 ton truck with air bags or overload springs in my world, especially going up or down mountain switch back roads.

Agreed with all of the above. I had my ~3300 lb wet camper in my short bed 3/4 ton. Even with airbags, the truck fucking hated that camper.

Now have the same camper in a long bed 1 ton. It's much better, but airbags are probably still in my future.

150+ nights in my AWD Express and fully stoked. That said I still obsess over the "perfect rig" and drool over rigs like this:

https://expeditionportal.com/expedit...basecamp-f550/

- Truck + slide in camper is still my pick for value and versatility
    - 4WD/AWD van is a great compromise for those w/o space to store a truck and camper
    - The truck w/custom box or van w/box seems tits but I can't decide if it's really worth sacrificing the versatility of regular P/U w/camper

Finally, snowmobiles complicate everything, and if I didn't want to own/tow one this would all be so much easier/cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Agreed with all of the above. I had my ~3300 lb wet camper in my short bed 3/4 ton. Even with airbags, the truck fucking hated that camper.

Now have the same camper in a long bed 1 ton. It's much better, but airbags are probably still in my future.
    Which year/make was that 3/4 ton?

Which year/make was that 3/4 ton?
    '01 f250 diesel. Had timbrens, then switched to airbags. Either way, truck hated the camper.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    '01 f250 diesel. Had timbrens, then switched to airbags. Either way, truck hated the camper.
    I could see that.