Page 84 of 508 FirstFirst ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 12697
    Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    If you have any questions, feel free to PM. I have accumulated an embarrassing amount of knowledge about finding and purchasing AWD Express/Savana vans.
    Yeah man, on my short list for sure.
    As others have said, torn between better clearance 4wd capabilities of a full size truck with a topper/popup/hardside vs various benefits of a van.
    What are your thoughts on working on the van engine?
    I'd prefer to do my own plugs, but these days the intervals are pretty long. Usually do my own oil changes, air filters, etc.
    If unfortunately needed, radiator, water pump. alternator, etc. Popping the hood of a van looks like a confusing nightmare.
    Let me know if you're rolling through Denver I'll buy beers.

I got the van because I wanted a hardsided vehicle primarily for winter camping. The van is easy to insulate and efficient to heat. If I already owned a pickup, I would've gone for a truckbed camper purely for the upfront cost savings and ease of acquisition.

True 4x4 is not important to me. I want to tow sleds and avoid getting stuck or whiteknuckle during the winter. AWD works for that, and should do fine on forest service roads in the summer. I will lift it eventually more because of the long wheelbase than clearance and approach/departure angles.

I'm biased, as I generally get annoyed bouncing around on rocky off-road terrain that requires low range (ie. Antero approach), but I can't imagine doing so with all of the shit in my "weekend home" rattling around behind me would improve the experience. Steep dirt roads could stress the driveline I suppose (ie. Princeton approach). That type of terrain will likely be a rarity for this vehicle, but a low-range transfer case swap is doable if that changes.

Anyway, that's my reasoning on van vs. truck: depends on the main purpose. Maintenance-wise I don't have much to add. I've owned the van for ~2months and have yet to pop the hood (did mechanical inspection before I purchased). I imagine anything beyond routine maintenance will be pain, but even my Toyota has some annoying access points.

I'm in Denver everyday for work - you're welcome to check out the van anytime (uses creepy van-dweller voice).

I'm in much the same boat as you North -- although I'm the platform I'm on (AWD Astro) has less body length issues. I've currently squeezed in some 235/70/15 snow tires but tire clearance is definitely the weak spot for me vs total travel. Got a good mechanic (or are you one) in the Boulder/Denver area you'd recommend for popping in a 2" lift and some new shocks to replace the sad worn out ones? Probably going with this kit http://www.overlandvans.com/0104_liftkits.html and some Rancho 5/7000 shocks all around to replace the beat to shit ones on there now.

Blah blah blah, I know frame-spacer kits are lame by 4x4 standards, but they are the way I have to go on the Astro for a short lift without a whole new, custom front suspension. Not doing serious off-roading, just shit forest service roads and big snow drifts.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Holy shit this is a cool little rig...

Looks like it wants to do wheelies all day!

Another Denver AWD vanner checking in. Express 8 passenger with a poptop and a minor lift. I've pushed it to its limits on forest roads and the like. With the lift and 265/70/17 tires, it's pretty similar to a stock 4x4 crew cab pickup in dimensions and clearance. Lack of low range is a drawback but as mentioned that could be remedied.

It may be obvious but having access to the camper portion while on the road is priceless, hell in my van I can grab a road Soda out of the fridge without even unbuckling, can't do that in a pickup/slide in. Yes vans can be insulated but it can be a ton of work to do right- see the home builds on the forums. Can't speak to ease of maintenance but it has been reliable and easy to find mechanics for the scheduled work. (These vans are ubiquitous after all).

Drop me a pm if I can help with specific questions.

If you see the GnaRV out and about (usually in CO), say hi. Chances are I have beer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452832231.651037.jpg 
Views:	497 
Size:	308.6 KB 
ID:	174967

Quote Originally Posted by ACheateaux View Post
    If you see the GnaRV out and about (usually in CO), say hi. Chances are I have beer.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452832231.651037.jpg 
Views:	497 
Size:	308.6 KB 
ID:	174967
    Thats a nice lookin' rig.

Way classier than my POS Astro that is usually in that lot. I'll bring the whiskey.

You, sir, are confusing me w somebody else if you're thinking classy. Drunk by 10, yes. Classy, no.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Got a good mechanic (or are you one) in the Boulder/Denver area you'd recommend for popping in a 2" lift and some new shocks to replace the sad worn out ones?
    Not a mechanic, but I'm a "mechanical" engineer so that's worth something I suppose

I like wrenching and learn as I go. I don't have a shop rec since I typically do my own work, but I suspect any decent tire shop would be able to help with the lift/shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I'm in much the same boat as you North -- although I'm the platform I'm on (AWD Astro) has less body length issues. I've currently squeezed in some 235/70/15 snow tires but tire clearance is definitely the weak spot for me vs total travel. Got a good mechanic (or are you one) in the Boulder/Denver area you'd recommend for popping in a 2" lift and some new shocks to replace the sad worn out ones? Probably going with this kit http://www.overlandvans.com/0104_liftkits.html and some Rancho 5/7000 shocks all around to replace the beat to shit ones on there now.

Blah blah blah, I know frame-spacer kits are lame by 4x4 standards, but they are the way I have to go on the Astro for a short lift without a whole new, custom front suspension. Not doing serious off-roading, just shit forest service roads and big snow drifts.
    http://www.boulderoffroadvans.com/ these guys are in my hood. They seem to work almost exclusively on off-road vans. Haven't used them but they could be good place for to install and for you to get some more camper van tips.

For you Astro fans...
    This one is RWD, but they did make these in AWD as well.

somebody needs to buy this rig and do it some justice. 36K on it and only used in antarctica so no rust. $18900 total badass, oh the places it would go!!!

Paging Buster! I am best friends with the mechanic who maintained it.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Was just talking future rig plans with the boss and she gave me a 20k budget. Someone buy it so I don't wind up divorced.

According to the q&a section, it's an idi/non-turbo. If it was a PSD, that would be a very good price.

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    According to the q&a section, it's an idi/non-turbo. If it was a PSD, that would be a very good price.
    Agreed

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1453651180.425829.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	414.2 KB 
ID:	175480Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1453651203.684171.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	367.6 KB 
ID:	175481

Old rig. Diy poptop topper. Good 3 season setup not so hot for skiing. Just replaced with this

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1453651372.235743.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	379.2 KB 
ID:	175482

Full retard

Canvas is "insulated" but plan is to put in an Espar diesel furnace. There's plenty of room to camp with top down on if needed on coldest nights.
    Last edited by stardrivin; 01-24-2016 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    somebody needs to buy this rig and do it some justice. 36K on it and only used in antarctica so no rust. $18900 total badass, oh the places it would go!!!

Iceland style rig right there!

Quote Originally Posted by stardrivin View Post

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1453651180.425829.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	414.2 KB 
ID:	175480Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1453651203.684171.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	367.6 KB 
ID:	175481

Old rig. Diy poptop topper. Good 3 season setup not so hot for skiing. Just replaced with this

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1453651372.235743.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	379.2 KB 
ID:	175482

Full retard

Canvas is "insulated" but plan is to put in an Espar diesel furnace. There's plenty of room to camp with top down on if needed on coldest nights.
    Very nice! CCV do any interior work?

Saw this beaut in steamboat this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by FireStrom View Post
    Very nice! CCV do any interior work?
    Yep, CCV did pop top, nice work, just picked it up. It's huge up there. Inside I'll diy once settle on a decent layout.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeezeBall View Post
    Saw this beaut in steamboat this weekend.
    That's bitchin

I've seen that one in the C lot at Mary Jane before.

Quote Originally Posted by stardrivin View Post
    Yep, CCV did pop top, nice work, just picked it up. It's huge up there. Inside I'll diy once settle on a decent layout.
    Who is ccv? I am starting the quest for a camping rig and would like a pop top....
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Who is ccv? I am starting the quest for a camping rig and would like a pop top....
    Colorado camper van