Page 373 of 508 FirstFirst ... 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 ... LastLast
Results 9,301 to 9,325 of 12697
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Bed is gone, salvage title, visible impact on passenger rear of cab where the bed got pushed into it.

Hard pass in pre COVID buying times. Today... do you feel lucky?
    It's also been for sale for at least a few weeks which tells me there may be something wrong with it not mentioned in the ad.

At the risk of starting a war, it's also one of the shittier full size platforms IMO. I wouldn't touch a dodge with 150k unless it was a Cummins.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    did a long road trip and picked up my Tufport.
    Attachment 394578
    Attachment 394580
    It seems to be what I wanted. Can comfortably sleep in the cab over.
    I never followed this thread till recently when decided to buy the camper. I imagine gas mileage was discussed. This shell is 800lbs and I think matched well to the truck which can carry #2000lbs in the bed. My gas mileage went from 22 to 16 MPG and as low as 13 when going 80MPH. I have to wonder what kind of mileage a smaller less efficient truck will get. Cost and range could become an issue.
    Oh man that thing is mint.

Saw a 2014 GMC Savana w 61,000 miles for 40 grand in a parking lot near me. It's got the big tinted windows so I couldn't see if or how it may have been built out. That's an unreal price imo, although I'm not really posted.

WTF^?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

People who have done the Chinese diesel heater in a box thing: what are you powering it off of overnight? Mine is nearing completion but I don't have a house battery (and finding room for a permanent one in our sienna camper might be tricky), so was thinking about a jackery or similar. Any relevant experiences?

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    People who have done the Chinese diesel heater in a box thing: what are you powering it off of overnight? Mine is nearing completion but I don't have a house battery (and finding room for a permanent one in our sienna camper might be tricky), so was thinking about a jackery or similar. Any relevant experiences?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    snip....

FWIW I am absolutely loving my 5kw chinese heater. Camped out with it again on a "warm" night this past friday looking for elk. Maybe 25 degrees. Kept the top of the GFC at 60* all night with it on the lowest setting. Drained the 330w battery pack from 100% down to only 72%. Used about 2.5L of diesel.

TTT

Thanks!
    As long as you’re starting your rig daily, you can easily run it off your starting battery. The heater controller has a low voltage shutoff so it won’t suck it all the way dry. Carry a portable jump pack just in case.

I’d pull a 12awg fused positive from the starter battery to the door closest to where the heater-in-a-box will go. Get a Blue Sea 12v cigarette socket and install it near the door.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Thanks!

Google "Paxcess 330w power station"

I got mine on Amazon for like $270. I really should have a 500w or bigger and solar panels. To get multiple cold nights out of this one I will have a hard time unless I can plug into a wall everyday to charge it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks!

More importantly -- post photos of your rig and how the diesel heater box is gonna work with it. I'm curious about doing the same in our Sienna. We've got a small power-pack (288wh) wondering if we can use it in there.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

What do you guys think about the build quality of the Chinese diesel heaters? I think they would leak some carbon monoxide or fumes without taking it apart and patching up any shoddy craftsmanship. It wouldn’t be enough gas to hurt anyone outright, but being around that kind of air for a long time can’t be great.

https://youtu.be/WGdWy_jJrcs

This guy has a series on the heater that’s interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by stupendous_man View Post
    What do you guys think about the build quality of the Chinese diesel heaters? I think they would leak some carbon monoxide or fumes without taking it apart and patching up any shoddy craftsmanship. It wouldn’t be enough gas to hurt anyone outright, but being around that kind of air for a long time can’t be great.

https://youtu.be/WGdWy_jJrcs

This guy has a series on the heater that’s interesting.
    Well that guy in his videos (which are great) straightforward says that the vast majority of issues he sees are due to shoddy installation not shoddy heaters. Given his depth of knowledge I'm inclined to agree.

The perfect ski RV- a AWD Tiger XL. Looks like one of the very few mirror image builds where the door is behind the drivers seat. I think that means it was built for the Japanese market and either was diverted before it shipped or else re-imported at some point. Not sure about $30k for a ‘95 though, even with low miles.

Name:  EEB23FAA-E3F4-4448-A810-BF3E894662DF.jpeg
Views: 698
Size:  73.2 KB

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...412969269.html

That thing is awesome but not 30k awesome. I’ll say that the awd Astro I owned was awesome in snow so that thing would be a sweet travel ski rig. Those vans absolutely suck to work on. Lots of stuff packed into a tight spot.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by stupendous_man View Post
    What do you guys think about the build quality of the Chinese diesel heaters? I think they would leak some carbon monoxide or fumes without taking it apart and patching up any shoddy craftsmanship.
    I’d say the build quality is fine. I’m not concerned at all about CO or fumes, but I actually installed mine to spec. Id also guess most bad experiences are from poor installation. If you look around the boat/RV forums, there’s some seat-of-the-pants installations and still nobody dies.

Make sure the interior air intake is on a different plane than the combustion exhaust and the combustion exhaust is outside the footprint of the vehicle. Use exhaust paste and good clamps and I’m sure there won’t be any issues.

Moving on from my FWC fleet as I am tired of dealing with cold canvas in the winter. Even with the heater, the thing was never warm enough for comfortable ski camping. I didn't use it enough in the summer to justify its downsides in the winter. And, I Had someone offer me enough for it and the truck that it was on that I couldn't say no.

Thinking of using the money for an older diesel Sprinter with a nice, insulated build and a heater. Really just want something warm for the winter. Anything else should I be looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by dub2 View Post
    Moving on from my FWC fleet as I am tired of dealing with cold canvas in the winter. Even with the heater, the thing was never warm enough for comfortable ski camping. I didn't use it enough in the summer to justify its downsides in the winter. And, I Had someone offer me enough for it and the truck that it was on that I couldn't say no.

Thinking of using the money for an older diesel Sprinter with a nice, insulated build and a heater. Really just want something warm for the winter. Anything else should I be looking at?
    The guys I know who use(older) sprinters for work have rental vans as much as their sprinters because it's in the shop so much. Big repair bills and oftentimes the dealer for weeks because they can't figure out what's wrong with . They just throw parts at it until they figure it out

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Picking up a Bigfoot tomorrow! Pics to follow, stoked to not pop the top every time I want to get in there….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Picking up a Bigfoot tomorrow! Pics to follow, stoked to not pop the top every time I want to get in there….

Score

Did you have the thermal pack?
    My Montana has an East Infection

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainman View Post
    Did you have the thermal pack?
    No, but had a friend with it who was constantly complaining about moisture between the canvas and the canvas of the thermal pack after a night of running the heater. Seems like a recipe for mold imo

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    The guys I know who use(older) sprinters for work have rental vans as much as their sprinters because it's in the shop so much. Big repair bills and oftentimes the dealer for weeks because they can't figure out what's wrong with . They just throw parts at it until they figure it out

It does take someone who is familiar with them and they are expensive to fix but hutchski’s is now well over 300k miles and running strong. The rust is gonna get it I fear

powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

No, but had a friend with it who was constantly complaining about moisture between the canvas and the canvas of the thermal pack after a night of running the heater. Seems like a recipe for mold imo
    This all depends on where you live. It's funny people mention moisture.
    FWIW
    I've had 1990 Skamper 6.5' FWC
    Now I have 1990 Shadowcruier 7' hardside

I did many a night in Crested Butte, Wolf Creek area, Berthoud pass etc. in my FWC. I had reflectix cut for the entire canvas, in sections, that were helpful, and a big buddy heater plumped to 20lb propane tank. I was NEVER cold, we left heater on low at night cause it would be too hot on high, left roof vent cracked = never cold even at 10kft+ My girl was a complete pussy when it came to the cold also, so it had to be at least comfortable. Yes, it was a freeze/thaw cycle on the canvas but didn't run into any mold issues but I would pop that thing up next sunny day for the entire day to dry.
    Shadowcruiser is colder overall, Wave 3 heater,and not as well insulated due to basically, yes it is hardside, but I can't insulate the inside walls like I could the canvas with reflectix(I get it I can remodel the camper and add insulation, but I don't want to basically)

Moisture.
    If you live in say the PNW or wherever the sun doesn't shine for years on end..yes. In Colorado, you are hard pressed to find any pop-up with lots of canvas mold due to it being so dry. I could use it for 3-5 days straight in the winter, sunny day, pop that top and it'll dry right out.
    Furthermore, I get the moisture build up on canvas or inside of really any camper when using a catalytic heater i.e. propane
    Well, what about when you are heating up your tea at night, or cooking in the morning using your 2 or 3 stove burner top. It's the same.
    Literally saw a guy doing this last season with his 4x4 Sprinter with a propane stove top. He was telling me forced air heater cuts down on moisture etc...........as he is cooking with no vents. I suppose you are cutting down the moisture, but that tea kettle that is boiling is like a volcanoe of moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    This all depends on where you live. It's funny people mention moisture.
    FWIW
    I've had 1990 Skamper 6.5' FWC
    Now I have 1990 Shadowcruier 7' hardside

I did many a night in Crested Butte, Wolf Creek area, Berthoud pass etc. in my FWC. I had reflectix cut for the entire canvas, in sections, that were helpful, and a big buddy heater plumped to 20lb propane tank. I was NEVER cold, we left heater on low at night cause it would be too hot on high, left roof vent cracked = never cold even at 10kft+ My girl was a complete pussy when it came to the cold also, so it had to be at least comfortable. Yes, it was a freeze/thaw cycle on the canvas but didn't run into any mold issues but I would pop that thing up next sunny day for the entire day to dry.
    Shadowcruiser is colder overall, Wave 3 heater,and not as well insulated due to basically, yes it is hardside, but I can't insulate the inside walls like I could the canvas with reflectix(I get it I can remodel the camper and add insulation, but I don't want to basically)

Moisture.
    If you live in say the PNW or wherever the sun doesn't shine for years on end..yes. In Colorado, you are hard pressed to find any pop-up with lots of canvas mold due to it being so dry. I could use it for 3-5 days straight in the winter, sunny day, pop that top and it'll dry right out.
    Furthermore, I get the moisture build up on canvas or inside of really any camper when using a catalytic heater i.e. propane
    Well, what about when you are heating up your tea at night, or cooking in the morning using your 2 or 3 stove burner top. It's the same.
    Literally saw a guy doing this last season with his 4x4 Sprinter with a propane stove top. He was telling me forced air heater cuts down on moisture etc...........as he is cooking with no vents. I suppose you are cutting down the moisture, but that tea kettle that is boiling is like a volcanoe of moisture.
    Fair points. I just struggled to keep things dry in the winter when on longer trips. After coming home I would typically find quite a bit of moisture in the canvas and under the bed, that would take a while to dry out. With the FWC, it isn't just the canvas that is poorly insulated, but the aluminum walls with no insulation too.

Is it doable in the winter? Yes, but like you said you have to be diligent about insulating the canvas at night, and drying things out when you can. My heater would run pretty constantly to keep things above freezing too.

When I'm on trips, I'm lazy and don't want to think too much about keeping things dry. Ideally just want something insulated with a diesel heater.

Fair points. I just struggled to keep things dry in the winter when on longer trips. After coming home I would typically find quite a bit of moisture in the canvas and under the bed, that would take a while to dry out. With the FWC, it isn't just the canvas that is poorly insulated, but the aluminum walls with no insulation too.

Is it doable in the winter? Yes, but like you said you have to be diligent about insulating the canvas at night, and drying things out when you can. My heater would run pretty constantly to keep things above freezing too.

When I'm on trips, I'm lazy and don't want to think too much about keeping things dry. Ideally just want something insulated with a diesel heater.
    Totally! Come on over to the hardside life(whether truck camper or van or whatever you get) You'll love it. The fact of not setting something up/tearing it down is awesome. As you said also, not dealing with the canvas now is a big win no matter what you do.

Every time i think about buying a diesel heater I remind myself that I still need a generator to charge camper batteries. So, when running my Honda 2200watt gen, I turn off the propane furnace and run a battery charger and electric heater.