Page 248 of 510 FirstFirst ... 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 ... LastLast
Results 6,176 to 6,200 of 12727
    You need to make a choice between a basement and light(er)weight. They don't exist together, hate to say it.

I've owned 2 Bigfoots and a Northern Lite. They're all good but somewhat heavy unless you get an early model with no bathroom meant for a 1/2 ton or import truck.

I personally wouldn't consider most mainstream camper brands, most are either extremely heavy or not well insulated.

Appreciate the feedback, thanks. Sounds like a basement won't do much for ski storage anyways so I'd rather save the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    You need to make a choice between a basement and light(er)weight. They don't exist together, hate to say it.

I've owned 2 Bigfoots and a Northern Lite. They're all good but somewhat heavy unless you get an early model with no bathroom meant for a 1/2 ton or import truck.

I personally wouldn't consider most mainstream camper brands, most are either extremely heavy or not well insulated.
    Would this apply to Northern Lite/Bigfoot/etc as mainstream campers? Is there a way to up the insulation value? I'm more thinking regarding dew-point and eliminating moisture in the walls than I am heat retention. R6+ will be plenty warmer than a tent.

Looked at facebook marketplace for the first time last night - that's a rabbit hole.

Considering these as options:

No bathroom (bonus in my world), light, and I like the layout. Primary concern will be whether I can fit in the bed comfortably. Any thoughts on N/S vs E/W beds? I presume N/S to be preferable so no one is climbing over anyone to get out.
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9734605171389/
    https://recreationalvehicles.info/20...s-brochure.pdf

Closer & more modern. Price seems decent - though who knows the condition without photos.
    https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc...172547489.html

Mid-way between the two above in terms of distance.
    https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/rv...173518696.html
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Appreciate the feedback, thanks. Sounds like a basement won't do much for ski storage anyways so I'd rather save the weight.

Would this apply to Northern Lite/Bigfoot/etc as mainstream campers? Is there a way to up the insulation value? I'm more thinking regarding dew-point and eliminating moisture in the walls than I am heat retention. R6+ will be plenty warmer than a tent.

Looked at facebook marketplace for the first time last night - that's a rabbit hole.

Considering these as options:

No bathroom (bonus in my world), light, and I like the layout. Primary concern will be whether I can fit in the bed comfortably. Any thoughts on N/S vs E/W beds? I presume N/S to be preferable so no one is climbing over anyone to get out.
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9734605171389/
    https://recreationalvehicles.info/20...s-brochure.pdf

Closer & more modern. Price seems decent - though who knows the condition without photos.
    https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc...172547489.html

Mid-way between the two above in terms of distance.
    https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/rv...173518696.html
    When I say "Mainstream" campers I mean the traditional wood/aluminum frame with metal siding type camper. Like that Adventurer you linked.

Bigfoot/Northern Lite are the best insulated and weather tight camper you can buy, short of something full custom. The 2 piece fiberglass design is a lot lighter, warmer and stronger than a traditional frame & siding camper. Both the northern lite and bigfoot you posted are probably worth looking at imho.

Those 'mainstream' RVs are sometimes called 'sticks and staples' for good reason.

Those older Adventurer campers use 1" wood framing with fiberglass batt insulation. There's no real way to add more without rebuilding it. The Bigfoot/Nothern-Lite campers are a 2 piece fiberglass shell with expanded foam insulation. The older Bigfoot 3500 series had 2" of foam and was rated to -40C. I had a Sommerset camper (2 piece fiberglass, made in Port Moody BC) that I used to -20C.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Anyone have experience with Four Wheel Pop Ups out of California? Thinking about addInd to, or replacing, our Airstream (1972 Airstream), and the new units look very appealing.

Thanks!

Not Four Wheel Camper, but I have an All Terrain Camper (made by former Four Wheel Camper employees and a bit cheaper). I'd recommend the shell model and then build it out as you like, or get All Terrain Camper to custom build it for you. All Terrain Camper is open to a custom build where as Four Wheel Camper is not.

https://www.allterraincampers.com/

May need studded tires for any winter trips

w/pantry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	home.jpeg 
Views:	225 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	337598

Quote Originally Posted by bluespark View Post

w/pantry

Someone pushes it over and you are trapped inside.

Sent from my SM-G970U using TGR Forums mobile app

amish built made to spec pickup camper shell for ~2g

https://albany.craigslist.org/rvd/d/...179893070.html

That's great.
    Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bluespark View Post

w/pantry

Why? Kills everything which is great about a bike, lightweight, lots of power and great handling.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post

seen some shady homemade campers going down the road but those look rad

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Going to look at this thing tomorrow.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trail...per/1519218730

Photos provided via email appear to show the interior in great shape (we'll see what it looks like in person). Weight is about 2250#. Have yet to head to the scales to figure it out exactly but research shows my payload should come in around 3500-3700# for my '06 GMC Sierra 3500, extended cab, long box, LBZ. Anything I should specifically be looking for? Going to try and get up on the roof to look at the seals, same thing for looking on the inside. Other than that... Anything to look for? I think the price is high, even in Canadian dollars.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Thats actually a fair deal for those. Looks like its decked out. Has the awning and ac. They last forever. Id look for any interior water staining, check the roof caulking(theres not a lot), window seals, and appliances and jacks and roll out the awning for mold check. If theres any issues its probably minimal. The bones on those(2 piece fibreglass) make them easy to maintain. If im not mustaken i think that weight indicates its insulated for winter. Dbl pane windows and exterior storage doors and basement are insulated. Great choice. I think theyre the best of the best. No windows at the front too is nice. Not many years before that they had windows that could get nailed from road debris

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Looked at this beast yesterday. Small grease fire means the price is right but I think its a little too big

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

^^^
    More along the lines of medium/long duration resort road trips with a high clearance TOAD for those off grid days. Not a bad convincer if the SO is having trouble finding her interest as an outdoorpeep?

Did it as a yoot in one of these:
    Name:  68 Winne.png
Views: 906
Size:  367.3 KB

about 40 days each winter - the whole famdamly

My concerns? Ground Clearance - even as a resort only buggy it can get rutty out there.
    What kind of tractability does a 2wd dually class C have??

kool to see this come about if you go down this road \;

There's always this: https://www.mhsrv.com/2020-dynamax-c...-c-tx-i2464059

Name:	DX3 4X4.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	339.3 KB 
ID:	337888

a scant few in the wild with the 20k upgrade - includes complete cold weather setup
    ​I am not in your hurry

brandy new cooper m/s 10 ply installed today, ready to roll.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Looked at this beast yesterday. Small grease fire means the price is right but I think its a little too big

That's a lot of rig. Don't think I'd go that big unless I was living in it full time.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    That's a lot of rig. Don't think I'd go that big unless I was Walter White.
    FIFY

Any words of wisdom about towing trailers in the winter?

I have a Ram 3500 Cummins with 27’ Airstream trailer is 5,850lbs.

I have thousands of Miles with this set up, but none on snowpack.

Truck has studs. Weight distribution hitch and sway are designed for use in all road conditions. Have Chains for the truck and the trailer (front axle)

I know not to use the exhaust brake. I also know the rules of the resorts in my region about what is on and not ok for trailers. I also.know how to not let shit freeze while camping and all. What else do I not know particularly about driving on ice and snow while towing?

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Hood View Post
    Any words of wisdom about towing trailers in the winter?

I have a Ram 3500 Cummins with 27’ Airstream trailer is 5,850lbs.

I have thousands of Miles with this set up, but none on snowpack.

Truck has studs. Weight distribution hitch and sway are designed for use in all road conditions. Have Chains for the truck and the trailer (front axle)

I know not to use the exhaust brake. I also know the rules of the resorts in my region about what is on and not ok for trailers. I also.know how to not let shit freeze while camping and all. What else do I not know particularly about driving on ice and snow while towing?
    FWIW I'd say towing a trailer on snowy roads, especially a pretty big one, is not a good idea. That aside, I can't imagine using an Airstream in winter. I have looked at Airstreams inside and out and while they are fabulous designs with meticulous attention to detail their insulation is minimal compared to a conventional modern unit with 2 inch vacubond construction. I suspect it would be a giant aluminum radiator in winter. I know for certain the plumbing will freeze, road sand will pit that beautiful finish, and salt will eat it alive.
    Good luck
    Last edited by apex dave; 08-23-2020 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    That's a lot of rig. Don't think I'd go that big unless I was living in it full time.
    I've got 3 kids .its main purpose would be long weekends in the overnight lot at alpental

Waterlines all run inside the trailer, so as long as the furnace is running they won’t freeze. We have camped in overnight lows in the single digits, just didn’t have to tow through snow to get there

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    I've got 3 kids .its main purpose would be long weekends in the overnight lot at alpental

Can you clear chains on the back axle?