Page 202 of 508 FirstFirst ... 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 ... LastLast
Results 5,026 to 5,050 of 12695
    Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    ok this is like 1 block from my office (and bet rideit drives by it everyday and also within a third mile of Djongo's place)
    A sound rationalization for a road trip.

Has anyone "winterfied" a tow behind camper? Not sure it will be a ski rig yet, but I bought a 27 foot travel trailer to live in this summer while working out of state, and am now realizing I could park it on a friends land in the mountains. Would be really nice to have running water.

Heat tape wrapped around supply hose with tape wrapped up into grey and black tanks? I can probably hookup sewer to a line so I don't need to use the tanks. Adding running water to the equation is a massive complexity, but it would be SO nice to have a hot shower at the end of the day...
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Also just because I'm a glutton for being called an idiot on the internet:

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Much easier to winterfy the truck camper and use the trailer for everything but water. Is that feasible in your situation?

If you go trailer route, a lot depends on how cold it gets but simply insulating exposed pipes may not be enough. Safest way is to have them in an enclosed space with a heat source. At minimum, in addition to insulating pipes, I'd go with one of them apron skirty thingies.

The first morning after a super cold night, look under cushions, behind cabinets, and especially anywhere you can access water lines from the interior. Look for frost or use an infrared thermometer if you have one.

If you're going to heat with electricity, there's an outlet called thermocube which turns on at roughly 35 degrees. I'd run a space heater underneath the trailer inside a well sealed apron/skirty thingie. Won't be real great for electricity bill.

Nice thing about making something like that work is you'll get a lot of ski soul points from Norseman.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Shit deserved for indirectly calling you a dweeb. Sorry, matti.

Who the fuck am I to judge?

I get pissed at the millennial bros and broettes with more rig than they can afford. But if you have the means, then get whatever fits.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Shit deserved for indirectly calling you a dweeb. Sorry, matti.

Who the fuck am I to judge?

I get pissed at the millennial bros and broettes with more rig than they can afford. But if you have the means, then get whatever fits.
    I actually feel the same way. I've driven paid-off cars for 20 years--several very cheap POSs--and saved the difference. Pay cash for everything but the house. The camper set up is one of the very few things in my life that isn't homemade or a product of sweat equity.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    I actually feel the same way. I've driven paid-off cars for 20 years--several very cheap POSs--and saved the difference. Pay cash for everything but the house. The camper set up is one of the very few things in my life that isn't homemade or a product of sweat equity.

A good way to operate.

Financing toys is an ill advised move (not to be confused with IAS).

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Has anyone "winterfied" a tow behind camper? Not sure it will be a ski rig yet, but I bought a 27 foot travel trailer to live in this summer while working out of state, and am now realizing I could park it on a friends land in the mountains. Would be really nice to have running water.

Heat tape wrapped around supply hose with tape wrapped up into grey and black tanks? I can probably hookup sewer to a line so I don't need to use the tanks. Adding running water to the equation is a massive complexity, but it would be SO nice to have a hot shower at the end of the day...
    In addition to heat tape on pipes you can buy heating pads for the fresh and waste tanks.
    https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Fresh-Wa...77-000164.html
    However finding a place to dump tanks in the winter is another matter. I have done sponge baths in a Rubbermaid Tote in the dead of winter with good results. At least nobody refused to get on the lift with me.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    A good way to operate.

Financing toys is an ill advised move (not to be confused with IAS).
    This is the exception, when it should be (almost) a rule.

Sure helps cut down financial stress which just gets in the way of the important things in life.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

My ski chalet for the past 28 years has been a winter capable 26' Oakland 5th wheel trailer, marketed as a "Four Season RV" by the company that makes Bigfoot campers. It has an R20 floor and R12 walls and roof. Holding tanks in an insulated and heated belly pan with dump valves located a foot in from an outside wall. Still I have beefed up the insulation wherever possible and I have heat tape on all the plumbing.

Unless your RV approaches some or most of the above, don't expect to successfully run a water system especially when it gets to 0*F/-18*C or colder.

I also have a winter capable truck camper for ski road trips (thankyou Epic, Ikon, MC etc.) but I do not run the water system in winter, instead I use a Hot Jugz portable shower with low flow shower head. http://www.hotjugz.com/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ski Truck.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	292727
    Last edited by DanoT; 08-31-2019 at 10:40 AM.

mmm, hot jugz

sup dudes,

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Pay cash for everything but the house.

QFT

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post

I also have a winter capable truck camper for ski road trips (thankyou Epic, Ikon, MC etc.) but I do not run the water system in winter, instead I use a Hot Jugz portable shower with low flow shower head. http://www.hotjugz.com/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ski Truck.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	292727
    that looks like a pop top truck camper? I like the smaller more compact package, but doesn't the pop top pretty much eliminate stealth camping?

Quote Originally Posted by Thurgood Jenkins View Post
    that looks like a pop top truck camper? I like the smaller more compact package, but doesn't the pop top pretty much eliminate stealth camping?
    The pop top up does eliminate stealth camping, unless one is sleeping on the bench with the top down. But really any kind of set up with fridge or furnace vents is obviously an RV to a cop or other official or other RVer. So imo, stealth camping is over rated. Parking at a repair shop, or other retailer with their own parking lot and arriving after they close and leaving before they open is a better way to go. Besides in winter I need to run the generator every couple of days to charge batteries and there is nothing stealth about that.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    The pop top up does eliminate stealth camping, unless one is sleeping on the bench with the top down. But really any kind of set up with fridge or furnace vents is obviously an RV to a cop or other official or other RVer. So imo, stealth camping is over rated. Parking at a repair shop, or other retailer with their own parking lot and arriving after they close and leaving before they open is a better way to go. Besides in winter I need to run the generator every couple of days to charge batteries and there is nothing stealth about that.
    With some slide in pop-ups can't you drop the top and sleep on the lower level couch fold out if needed? I mean, obviously not preferable but could keep things more insulated and looks more stealth from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    With some slide in pop-ups can't you drop the top and sleep on the lower level couch fold out if needed? I mean, obviously not preferable but could keep things more insulated and looks more stealth from the outside.
    Yes, it is called "turtle backing" and has been the go to move of not so stealthy dirtbags since about the beginning of time.

The truck camper is my typical winter rig, I just use gallon jugs for water. They somehow don't freeze during the day, and at night the heat is on. The travel trailer will just be a much nicer place to "live" than the camper as this will be a long term gig so mobility wont be an issue.
    Sounds like I knew the answer to the question I just needed someone to tell me, water is impractical. It sure is nice to wake up in the morning and take a dump without having to go out in the cold... And yes I could flush with antifreeze, but still.

Can anyone help with solar power 12v battery setups?
    Im planning a possible mexico road trip and after spending a fair bit of time there previously, id love to get a 12v fridge.
    There's so much info out there but its hard to figure out what i would actually need. what im thinking so far:
    12v AGM 100a battery
    200w solar power panel and associated kit.

Then what do i need to plug everything in? these are things i have a hard time with.

Start here. Then check out Bogart Engineering.
    https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Can anyone help with solar power 12v battery setups?
    Im planning a possible mexico road trip and after spending a fair bit of time there previously, id love to get a 12v fridge.
    There's so much info out there but its hard to figure out what i would actually need. what im thinking so far:
    12v AGM 100a battery
    200w solar power panel and associated kit.

Then what do i need to plug everything in? these are things i have a hard time with.
    There a bunch of good threads on the subject in the Expedition Portal, check them out. Also, search discussions for marine applications for ideas as well...

My rig:

I have a pair of Trojan 6 volt AGM Golf cart batteries, they are wired in series and then connected to a Xantrex 3000 inverter with 00 cables. The Xantrex has 3 stage charging, power sharing, a remote control panel, battery temperature compensation, surge protection/compensation, and a host of other options. It is big enough and cabled well enough to start and run the A/C (before I removed it) and the microwave. The battery banks wouldn't last more than a few hours with the A/C on but the surge compensation lets the A/C be easily powered of a 1000 watt Honda generator. The switching and distribution is done by two Blue Sea panels, one for 12v and one for 120V. My rig has two solar panels with a German made Voltronic charge controller. the charge controller has dual outputs, a primary for the house bank and an isolated secondary for the starting batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    There a bunch of good threads on the subject in the Expedition Portal, check them out. Also, search discussions for marine applications for ideas as well...

My rig:

I have a pair of Trojan 6 volt AGM Golf cart batteries, they are wired in series and then connected to a Xantrex 3000 inverter with 00 cables. The Xantrex has 3 stage charging, power sharing, a remote control panel, battery temperature compensation, surge protection/compensation, and a host of other options. It is big enough and cabled well enough to start and run the A/C (before I removed it) and the microwave. The battery banks wouldn't last more than a few hours with the A/C on but the surge compensation lets the A/C be easily powered of a 1000 watt Honda generator. The switching and distribution is done by two Blue Sea panels, one for 12v and one for 120V. My rig has two solar panels with a German made Voltronic charge controller. the charge controller has dual outputs, a primary for the house bank and an isolated secondary for the starting batteries.
    Ha... Sounds like I'm not going to be able to just plug in the nice little Victron inverter I've been waiting to install.

A friend of mine would like to sell their beautifully built out diesel sprinter van. Any mags need the van life and a little bit of norseman’s ire?

Buddy and I were just talking the other day that those 4x4 diesel sprinter vans would be the ticket.

I kind of thing the right RV setup and studded snows would be way cheaper.
    watch out for snakes

If anyone needs a power converter / charger (120v AC -> 12v Dc), I have a spare for sale. Progressive Dynamics PD9245CV (45 Amp). Brand new in box, never used. $125 + ship.