Page 290 of 510 FirstFirst ... 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 ... LastLast
Results 7,226 to 7,250 of 12727
    With the Tahoe region in CA open again Alpine and Squaw are pretty much my only two options for a little adventure van getaway (Ikon Pass.) It's been years since I went to Squaw, and I'm wondering how easy it is these days to park in a spot that's accessible for dog check-ins throughout the day. From the looks of the maps it would seem the closest you can park to a run/lift is in the southeast corner of the lot near the Red Wolf Lodge. Am I on the right track?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 3.38.44 PM.png 
Views:	234 
Size:	999.8 KB 
ID:	357747

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The snorkel is my favorite part. As if anyone will ever drive it through water deep enough to require a snokel, or that the electronics wouldn't fry if you actually did.
    The broverlanders tell me that it's to reduce dust in the intake as well as fording. not that hard to carry a spare air filter or change it after the trip.

There's just NO WAY that RV can deal with a dusty, rutted track and whoops like a trophy truck, sorry just no.

An acquaintance of mine is building these desert rigs that maybe kinda sorta could be loosely compared to driving a trophy truck, certainly closer than anything carrying a 2000lb fiberglass box with a cabover. Sorry, no snorkel. https://www.instagram.com/bionicoffroad/?hl=en
    Last edited by jackattack; 01-13-2021 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpcmoriarty View Post
    I have a set of these self tensioning Koenig/Thule for my van. Only have used them a couple times but really easy on/off. Just make sure the size is right. I had to go up one to fit on the snow tires.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains...SABEgI-EvD_BwE
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    With the Tahoe region in CA open again Alpine and Squaw are pretty much my only two options for a little adventure van getaway (Ikon Pass.) It's been years since I went to Squaw, and I'm wondering how easy it is these days to park in a spot that's accessible for dog check-ins throughout the day. From the looks of the maps it would seem the closest you can park to a run/lift is in the southeast corner of the lot near the Red Wolf Lodge. Am I on the right track?

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 3.38.44 PM.png 
Views:	234 
Size:	999.8 KB 
ID:	357747
    You won't be the only van hanging out in that spot

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by myles long View Post
    You won't be the only van hanging out in that spot
    Fantastico. Thanks.

Super easy to get a spot there even with a van, weekdays you can probably show up at 9 and still be up close. weekends 8 is probably the latest for very primo depending on snow conditions

Does Squaw allow overnight parking now? I know they used to be adamantly against it, then somewhat indifferent to it, especially since they allowed employees to do it when one of th employee housing options or changed to be the uniform building. Do they have an official policy about it now?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

NYE, 8*, Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Ultimately bit the bullet and upgraded to a one ton. "No regerts" other than letting myself get talked out of a dually.
    You are lucky you got talked out of it. I got talked into it and regretted that choice so much I sold it after a couple of years. Yes, they carry a lot of weight, but a dually with a big truck camper is basically a Class C RV without the advantage of a pass-through and the PIA of climbing up about 5' to get into it every time, but with better winter capability.

When you have that much weight capacity you will go for a huge camper, which is what we did. The Arctic Fox camper we had was 4800 lbs dry. It handled like a pig and with the gas engine I would get passed by big rigs on long grades. Oh yeah, and 10mpg loaded, 14.5 empty. When you need new tires you will be buying 6 of them.

If I still wanted that kind of setup and had it to do over I would get a 1-ton SRW diesel and throw a Northern-lite fiberglass truck camper on it.

We went in a different direction and have a fiberglass trailer for RV-ing and a Colorado ZR2 with OVRLND popup camper for off-road.
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    You are lucky you got talked out of it. I got talked into it and regretted that choice so much I sold it after a couple of years. Yes, they carry a lot of weight, but a dually with a big truck camper is basically a Class C RV without the advantage of a pass-through and the PIA of climbing up about 5' to get into it every time, but with better winter capability.

When you have that much weight capacity you will go for a huge camper, which is what we did. The Arctic Fox camper we had was 4800 lbs dry. It handled like a pig and with the gas engine I would get passed by big rigs on long grades. Oh yeah, and 10mpg loaded, 14.5 empty. When you need new tires you will be buying 6 of them.

If I still wanted that kind of setup and had it to do over I would get a 1-ton SRW diesel and throw a Northern-lite fiberglass truck camper on it.

We went in a different direction and have a fiberglass trailer for RV-ing and a Colorado ZR2 with OVRLND popup camper for off-road.
    Different strokes, I guess.

One ton diesel trucks will pass about whatever they want going up the mountain apart from sporty AWDs with turbos, and get a minimum of 12mpg on the up.

Round trips keeping pace with fast lane = 13-14mpg. Slowing down to 62-65mph = 14-15mpg. Without camper = 20mpg+

Have had fantastic trade wear with Nokian LTs. Only have 13k on them but little sign of wear.

End of day, I'll put up with 1mpg less to have more room. SRW + NL should handle about the same as DRW + Host. If anything, guessing the dually will handle slightly better.

I totally agree on the lack of a pass thru. That's the biggest downside IMO. I'm sure I'd like the lower step in height of a van as well, but they wouldn't sell me one all the way back in 2018 (talked to multiple dealers and got run around, so fuck em. Love my truck, even if it's 2 tires short, and loved dropping in the camper and being ready to roll without spending months building it out).

Note: I don't have a place to park a class C, otherwise I would have done that first, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post

When I switched from trailer to camper I did a lot of research (I'm a numbers guy) and ended up with a Diesel dually longbox. It's the only way to go with a modern camper and most of my friends with campers went the same way. Even with a 1T dually I'm at my GVW fully loaded and pulling a trailer. My payload is only 3,500# because of the heavy Diesel engine and heavier drivetrain. I can't imagine driving around with a camper and single rear wheel setup.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Euro's do a good job of making well though out small campers.

A very detailed documentation of build on Casa Trotter (in French, use google translate). Owner had a very dialed Sprinter for two years and sold it to move to a truck camper.

https://www.casa-trotter.com/phpBB3/...193189#p193189

Expensive but pretty dope Astro Tiger Van

https://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/d/...264510120.html

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Euro's do a good job of making well though out small campers.

A very detailed documentation of build on Casa Trotter (in French, use google translate). Owner had a very dialed Sprinter for two years and sold it to move to a truck camper.

https://www.casa-trotter.com/phpBB3/...193189#p193189
    Very well thought out. But where is the ski storage?

Here are the money shots: https://www.casa-trotter.com/phpBB3/...193680#p193680

Name:	IMG_20210119_180822548.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	358757

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post

Name:	IMG_20210119_180822548.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	358757
    Too many windows. Get yourself a full on predator van insulate it & retain more heat... And stealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Shred Baron View Post
    Does Squaw allow overnight parking now? I know they used to be adamantly against it, then somewhat indifferent to it, especially since they allowed employees to do it when one of th employee housing options or changed to be the uniform building. Do they have an official policy about it now?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    complete cocksukers about it in early 2018 , one of my worst on the road experiences in 9 months of that year

try by the trukee train tracks unless that option changed
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Too many windows. Get yourself a full on predator van insulate it & retain more heat... And stealth.
    Yep. This is my situation. It’s workable but not ideal. If starting from scratch, I’d start elsewhere. But a nice down comforter and reflectix gets us through.

Name:	961A5E88-D0B2-4443-BF80-FE7E2F408B6F.jpeg 
Views:	173 
Size:	380.6 KB 
ID:	358901

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Yep. This is my situation. It’s workable but not ideal. If starting from scratch, I’d start elsewhere. But a nice down comforter and reflectix gets us through.

Name:	961A5E88-D0B2-4443-BF80-FE7E2F408B6F.jpeg 
Views:	173 
Size:	380.6 KB 
ID:	358901
    What is your sleeping platform/situation inside?
    I picked me up a 2005' E350 w/ a high top(not as high as yours though)...skimming my brain for the build out after I get done remodeling my house. Spring project stuffs.

Gaucho benches that fold flat in the back. Pretty lame. Going to redo in spring to a platform with more room underneath. We never use the benches as seats.

FWIW, snorkels are also good for getting cleaner air to the engine when you're in dusty/sandy areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The snorkel is my favorite part. As if anyone will ever drive it through water deep enough to require a snokel, or that the electronics wouldn't fry if you actually did.
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

What the hell is a gaucho bench?

"A gaucho or gaúcho is a skilled horseman, reputed to be brave and unruly. The gaucho is a symbol in Argentina, Uruguay and Rio Grande do Sul state, southern Brazil. Gauchos became greatly admired and renowned in legends, folklore and literature and became an important part of their regional cultural tradition. Wikipedia"

We also use a nice down comforter and reflectix, and I click on the heater a few times a night too. But I don't have quite as many windows, drivers side has just one in the back. I don't believe less windows are more stealth. Too many vans out there these days, if you park in the wrong spot you are probably the 100th van to do it and not having windows isn't going to trick anyone. Just an opinion though.

Name:	IMG_5343.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	358957

Rideski can't you replace some of those windows with metal? Easy or not?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Expensive but pretty dope Astro Tiger Van

https://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/d/...264510120.html

Yeah I mean maybe a bit pricey, but everything is done......pretty much turn key. its nice...the 4wd conversion is sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
    FWIW, snorkels are also good for getting cleaner air to the engine when you're in dusty/sandy areas.
    Someone said the same thing a few posts above...it has become a cliche in Broverland circles. The typical ram air snorkels don’t significantly help with the dust situation (that extra 2.5 ft is no big deal) but some come with a pre filter that obviously helps. The cone intake snorkels are based on actual dust science but aren’t popular in the US (from what I’ve seen anyway) other than on mining rigs etc

I feel like the whole concept of a "stealth" van went out the window a couple years ago. Even my 60+ year old suburban mom knows about vanlifers and pretty much assumes any van without lettering for "Bob's Plumbing" is someone squatting.
    Live Free or Die