Page 405 of 510 FirstFirst ... 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 ... LastLast
Results 10,101 to 10,125 of 12727
    https://www.renogy.com/phoenix-200-power-station/

get something like this a bunch of options and brands can set up a panel and keep it charged during the day

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post

get something like this a bunch of options and brands can set up a panel and keep it charged during the day
    I don't want an integrated power module.

But how is renogy as a brand? One of their batteries is top of my list

the viva brand paper towels have static cling and don't unroll while driving

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    the viva brand paper towels have static cling and don't unroll while driving
    If you just crush the cardboard cylinder in the middle of the roll a little, it tends to not unroll while driving. Works on toilet paper too.
    (Assuming the roll is on a spindle holder.)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post

you could also go with 2 golf cart batteries (6v) in series to make 12 volt. I don't think you even need agm for your needs and time frame.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    If you just crush the cardboard cylinder in the middle of the roll a little, it tends to not unroll while driving. Works on toilet paper too.
    (Assuming the roll is on a spindle holder.)
    Perhaps the highest value post I've read on TGR, who knew it would revolve around successfully wiping ones ass. Thx for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Perhaps the highest value post I've read on TGR, who knew it would revolve around successfully wiping ones ass. Thx for the tip.
    Just the tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Just the tip.
    Of course, I promise.

Alright mag hive mind, I'm fixing to make the plunge into buying a camper trailer primarily for winter parking lot camping around the PNW. I've got a small car port that would like to keep the trailer in when not actively being used, and it would primarily be used for my wife and myself.

Ideally, I would not was a built in toilet/shower, as dealing with grey/black water seems terrible, but a kitchenette inside would be nice.

As such, I've been eyeballing various teardrop styles, as well as smaller sized T@B style trailers. However, I've also seen some interesting options in the A-Frame & popup styles out there.

So my questions are as followed:
    - Is there shit / features / use cases that I have completely overlooked that I should be thinking about?

- What's it like winter car/RV camping with a pop-up or A frame style camper? Any major drawbacks for temps around ~ 5 F?

Thanks!
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

The composting toilets + pee diversion jug are a nice middle ground for the bathroom (Airhead or Nature's Head), especially appreciated by the ladies when its cold and you're in a public area.

The obvious downside to anything that pops up is the canvas side. For weekend trips, I think that's totally fine, for longer stays a hard side will be warmer, obviously.

IDK about pop ups, but IMO not having a place to pee in the middle of the night and take a shit in the morning would negate nearly all of the benefit of having a camper. Building a $200k van without a toilet is a very clear sign that the designer has never actually lived on the road.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    IDK about pop ups, but IMO not having a place to pee in the middle of the night and take a shit in the morning would negate nearly all of the benefit of having a camper. Building a $200k van without a toilet is a very clear sign that the designer has never actually lived on the road.
    Gonna have to agree. Especially when the weather sucks. I also agree with the recommendations for a urine-diverting composting toilet. One of my favorite mods to our trailer, and its super nice to have a bathroom that functions when the water system is still winterized in the shoulder seasons.

Plan for me, would be for a higher-end composting toilet.

Any thoughts on A-frames? Do they get super cold in the winter?

www.experiencedgear.net

Cassette toilets are disgusting to empty but cost $100 versus $1,000 for a Nature's Head compost toilet. I like the ability to remove cassette when you don't think you'll need it. I have thought about making my own composting toilet in a box using plastic bucket (similar to diesel heater in a box) so you can remove when not needed. $1,000 seems expensive for what is basically a bucket with a metal rod that stirs the shit up. The compost toilet is supposed to be vented to outside using small fan (like computer fan) for odor and also to aid in the composting. Still could be accomplished with compost toilet in a box (have designated place you for toilet, plug for 12v fan, and hook up vent to outside).

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Alright mag hive mind, I'm fixing to make the plunge into buying a camper trailer primarily for winter parking lot camping around the PNW. I've got a small car port that would like to keep the trailer in when not actively being used, and it would primarily be used for my wife and myself.

Ideally, I would not was a built in toilet/shower, as dealing with grey/black water seems terrible, but a kitchenette inside would be nice.

As such, I've been eyeballing various teardrop styles, as well as smaller sized T@B style trailers. However, I've also seen some interesting options in the A-Frame & popup styles out there.

So my questions are as followed:
    - Is there shit / features / use cases that I have completely overlooked that I should be thinking about?

- What's it like winter car/RV camping with a pop-up or A frame style camper? Any major drawbacks for temps around ~ 5 F?

Thanks!
    Major drawback @ 5F is the energy to keep warm. Having enough propane is one thing, but the juice to keep the fan running is a huge issue. Diesel heat is the way to go both for comfort and conserving electricity.

Take a look at Trackhead's truck camper remodel/rebuild upthread and do everything he did and you might stand a chance of being being able to pull it off.

I think you're going to find yourself on a lot of solo ski trips but good luck.
    Last edited by Hopeless Sinner; 05-06-2022 at 03:41 PM.

Designed a camper w/o toilet, "lived" in it for extended stretches, and would do it again w/o. Necessity depends on your specific situation IMO. Turns out there are a lot of bathroom facilities near/en route to recreation spots. I never had an issue. Caveats: wasn't $200k, not married, and I don't drink coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Having enough propane is one thing, but the juice to keep the fan running is a huge issue. Diesel heat is the way to go both for comfort and conserving electricity.
    Diesel heaters have a fan too, no? There are advantages/disadvantages to both, but unless I'm missing something, both draw ~1.5A-2A while running.

Edit: BTUs duh. Still think Propane makes sense over diesel for certain applications (high altitude, already using propane appliances etc.). Either way a direct vent heater is pretty crucial (moreso than a toilet IME!) for winter car camping stuff.

Found on FB.Name:  279844329_3129015587385767_4444760338466372086_n.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  43.4 KB
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

high class

www.experiencedgear.net

Hey rf, here's a thought on popups out here in the wet.

Consider the soaking they will receive when deployed in lot 3 or wherever. They can function ok in the field (cue Big Steve, etc) but drying out a popup is the key, otherwise mold. It's not the same as owning one in Montana.

So does your parking space allow the popup/a-frame to deploy and fully dry out? At minimum, a space heater inside will maintain a heat gradient most of the winter.

imho

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Hey rf, here's a thought on popups out here in the wet.

Consider the soaking they will receive when deployed in lot 3 or wherever. They can function ok in the field (cue Big Steve, etc) but drying out a popup is the key, otherwise mold. It's not the same as owning one in Montana.

So does your parking space allow the popup/a-frame to deploy and fully dry out? At minimum, a space heater inside will maintain a heat gradient most of the winter.

imho
    This advice is spot on. Unless you have a spot where you’ll be able to pop it up and dry out, you’re better off with a hard side imo.

Had an FWC for a couple years and it was fantastic in the PNW summers or when traveling east of the cascades. Got rid of it in favor of a hard side because we live in western WA and drying it out in the winter was such a chore.

You can make a pop-up work for sure. We just used ours a lot and the convenience factor of a hard side for winter use ultimately won out for us.

"Land Sailor".....I'm sure she blows in the wind with a mean list to port.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post

Diesel heaters have a fan too, no? There are advantages/disadvantages to both, but unless I'm missing something, both draw ~1.5A-2A while running.

Edit: BTUs duh. Still think Propane makes sense over diesel for certain applications (high altitude, already using propane appliances etc.). Either way a direct vent heater is pretty crucial (moreso than a toilet IME!) for winter car camping stuff.
    I have diesel heater in my truck camper, it is 2a while running on lower setting, more at higher settings, can be up to 4a. I have propane water heater and stove, but would not want propane heater. Poor efficiency, lower BTU for same amp draw. Diesel heater goes FOREVER on very little fuel. Fill tank, forget it.

Propex heater max BTU: 6483
    5KW diesel heater BTU range: 6800-17000

Using a 2" XPS foam walled clam shell camper in winter, a lot, I think 6400 BTU is not enough. You need a higher BTU to heat the camper up, then throttle back to lowest setting.

Here is a series of You Tubes about winter camping with an A frame.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...mper+in+winter
    Personally I'd save the money and stay in a motel

Winter camping at Lake Louise and Marmot basin (Jasper)
    Parks Canada operates winter camping 10 minutes for both the Lake Louise and Marmot Basin ski hills. 30 or 50 amp power, heated washrooms and hot showers. Lake Louise even has a winter sanidump and outside tap for water fills. You have to buy a Parks Canada pass but that's no a big deal and the drive from Jasper to Lake Louise over the Columbia Icefields Parkway is unbelievable. See it before it melts.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    "Land Sailor".....I'm sure she blows in the wind with a mean list to port.
    No worries. That Dodge Nitro is a two ton heavy thing for an anchor. Given what consumer reports says about the Nitro, maybe the cabover was added to improve steering.
    Pronounced body lean and vague steering detract from agility. The cabin is noisy, the ride is stiff and snappy, and the front end can become buoyant on the highway. The footwells are extremely narrow and 4WD models have a part-time system that lacks a low range. One nice feature is an optional sliding cargo floor that extends 18 inches rearward and is rated to hold 400 pounds. But overall the Nitro has little going for it, the driving position is awkward, plus fit and finish are subpar.
    also, the Nitro was already one of the worst vehicles on the market in terms of rollover ( https://www.iihs.org/media(8426253e-...-3dd597fc476e) ). But at least this would keep it from rolling all the way over I guess
    Last edited by powdork; 05-07-2022 at 12:45 PM.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.