Page 32 of 510 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    IDK, most class B motor homes and larger conversion vans that we looked at felt pretty spacious relative to our 10' cabover Alaskan.
    One of the key benefits to a "van" style RV is that you can immediately access the coach without having to "set up".
    This little guy is a full 2 feet shorter than our Dodge 2500 (club cab) with the Alaskan, and there is more space to move around inside. The main thing where we lost space was the back seat in the truck.

The Tiger is completely different from a truck bed camper -- replace the pickup box and you get a lot more interior space. It's more like a class B+, or a mini-class C. If the RV keeps the stock van walls (like a Sportsmobile or the GMC one Hutch is considering), I think the drop-in pickup campers have more usable space. Biggest advantage of the van over the truck is the ability to walk through from the RV space to the front; some vans use a swivel front passenger seat so you can use that seat "backwards" in RV arrangement.

Every RV style has its pros and cons; there is no one perfect arrangement.

Those Tiger RVs are pretty sweet, esp. with an extended cab (more passenger seating). Not cheap though.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    The Tiger is completely different from a truck bed camper -- replace the pickup box and you get a lot more interior space. It's more like a class B+, or a mini-class C. If the RV keeps the stock van walls (like a Sportsmobile or the GMC one Hutch is considering), I think the drop-in pickup campers have more usable space. Biggest advantage of the van over the truck is the ability to walk through from the RV space to the front; some vans use a swivel front passenger seat so you can use that seat "backwards" in RV arrangement.

Every RV style has its pros and cons; there is no one perfect arrangement.

Those Tiger RVs are pretty sweet, esp. with an extended cab (more passenger seating). Not cheap though.
    Yeah, that's why we ended up with it.
    That, and the fact that it's diesel, and 4x4.

Tigers on the used market are a pretty good deal most of the time.
    Since we purchased this one, I've seen at least three more come and go.
    Solid little rigs that feel larger than they are.

It might just have been the Alaskan we had, it just felt tight inside.
    Very little space to move around relative to the van rigs we looked at, and it didn't feel like there was any more room for storage.
    I have been in very few other truck campers, so take my impressions with a big chunk-o-salt.
    Always seemed like we were bumping into each other in ours.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Yeah, that's why we ended up with it.
    That, and the fact that it's diesel, and 4x4.

Tigers on the used market are a pretty good deal most of the time.
    Since we purchased this one, I've seen at least three more come and go.
    Solid little rigs that feel larger than they are.

It might just have been the Alaskan we had, it just felt tight inside.
    Very little space to move around relative to the van rigs we looked at, and it didn't feel like there was any more room for storage.
    I have been in very few other truck campers, so take my impressions with a big chunk-o-salt.
    Always seemed like we were bumping into each other in ours.
    Care to share how much that Tiger cost? Those are really nice -- I didn't hunt for them specifically, but if I had come across one while looking, I'd have been very interested.

Truck campers w/o slideouts don't have much aisle room at all; I looked at all sorts when I was shopping. I decided I wanted smaller + lighter (ability to take on dirt roads, light 4WD roads), so went with a pop-up with outside shower, no bathroom, no grey or black tank. It's good for 2 people without too much stumbling over each other; we can seat 4 inside around the table, but it only really sleeps 2. The kids sleep in a tent with the dogs.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Those are really nice -- I didn't hunt for them specifically, but if I had come across one while looking, I'd have been very interested.
    I know what you mean...
    Boltonoutlaw pointed it out to me in an ongoing dialog that we were having offline regarding Chinook's, which is what we were looking at + a 4x4 conversion. This ended up being a way more cost effective route, not to mention the fact that we also ended up in a diesel.

Sent you a PM.

Pulling the trigger on the van pictured in my post above for $15k. Chup, I considered a cabover truck but we have 2 little kids so the van, (which does have a fridge, microwave, TV/DVD, sink, hot water heater, outdoor shower and toilet), is way more practical for us. Maiden voyage will be this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Pulling the trigger on the van pictured in my post above for $15k. Chup, I considered a cabover truck but we have 2 little kids so the van, (which does have a fridge, microwave, TV/DVD, sink, hot water heater, outdoor shower and toilet), is way more practical for us. Maiden voyage will be this weekend!
    Sweet! Sounds like a good deal in a nice, tidy little package.

One thing I've learned since setting up our truck/camper is that many HOAs/neighborhoods have CC&Rs regulating parking of RVs, including campers. Our current house doesn't have any such restrictions (no HOA), but this has added RV parking or an RV garage to our list of must-haves for the next house -- we've been shopping for about 5 months now, and finally seem to have located a suitable place with a massive garage. (3 car, extra-deep, plus separate RV garage bay.) Now in short sale negotiation/waiting period...

Saw this parked in the Safeway Parking Lot in Truckee the other day. Had to stop to check it out. The owner came by and I learned a little about it. He gets ~20mpg if he doesn't push too hard on the freeway. The 4Matic badge is just that, a badge. It is actually Faux Wheel Drive, but he's gotten through chain check w/out incident so far. It had Blizzaks on all four wheels and he said it's good in snow although you can get the back end loose if you aren't careful. It was certainly a sweet looking rig inside and out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faux Wheel Drive.jpg 
Views:	2381 
Size:	265.6 KB 
ID:	114610
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Did an overnight with the kiddos at Split Mountain CG in Dinosaur NM this weekend. It's a whole new lifestyle for us.

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	282 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	114614

Name:	041.JPG 
Views:	283 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	114611

Name:	030.JPG 
Views:	293 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	114612

I'm thinking about getting a rig to live in while I finish school, and to travel with for some weekend road trips... I'll be towing with a Tacom v6 so can't be too big. Any ideas on where to park this during winter months to live in?

This thread. The thread you posted in. Is entirely about the questions you just asked.

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

More specifically concerning the whereabouts of doing this in Logan UT, while going to school, this would be my primary residence, but parking around campus can be iffy sometimes and I thought I would see if anyone had a unique idea to this problem of mine.

Aplogies if this is a rerun...

Replace the pop-up with an ac/heater unit and a ski box and this would make one pump ass storm chased. Supposedly can be fitted to 4WD's as well...

http://www.doubleback.co.uk/

"Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Here is a couple of pics of my rig. Its not finished internally yet but it does well enough, spent about 10 nights in it so far.

^^^^ This Cant be for real??? Lowered with those tires and rims with THAT tall of a capper?

Quote Originally Posted by OFF!lax View Post
    ^^^^ This Cant be for real??? Lowered with those tires and rims with THAT tall of a capper?
    Its for real man. I put load assist air bags in the rear to help with weight distribution. Max height of the sleeper cab is 5 feet. The thing handles perfectly.

So what do you do when some wiseass decides to put your tailgate up while you're inside? Seriously, seen lots of campers set up like that and always wondered.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
    Saw this parked in the Safeway Parking Lot in Truckee the other day. Had to stop to check it out. The owner came by and I learned a little about it. He gets ~20mpg if he doesn't push too hard on the freeway. The 4Matic badge is just that, a badge. It is actually Faux Wheel Drive, but he's gotten through chain check w/out incident so far. It had Blizzaks on all four wheels and he said it's good in snow although you can get the back end loose if you aren't careful. It was certainly a sweet looking rig inside and out.

Name:	Faux Wheel Drive.jpg 
Views:	2381 
Size:	265.6 KB 
ID:	114610
    They make 4 wheel drive versions for the Europe market. If they did I would seriously consider buying one and doing my own conversion.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

A cool thread here with some cool examples of 4x4 campers: http://bit.ly/PvGpUH

Anther cool link to a lot of images: http://bit.ly/PvGPua

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    So what do you do when some wiseass decides to put your tailgate up while you're inside? Seriously, seen lots of campers set up like that and always wondered.
    That is a serious concern. With mine I have a removable bar that slides into a reciever and is quick pinned from the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    They make 4 wheel drive versions for the Europe market. If they did I would seriously consider buying one and doing my own conversion.
    The Euro version 4x4 Sprinter cannot be imported to the US.
    Several companies were doing conversions here for around $15,000. there were issues with Mercedes. check with Sportsmobile for the latest information on that.

The phony 4wd sticker might get you thru chain control,but if you get caught by the cops,or worse yet,have an accident, putting on chains will look like a very good idea.

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

the girlfriend and I just picked this up a few months ago. 1977 Econoline 250 Quadravan, 4wd and lifted. Will be parked often in the upper lot of Alpental come this winter. Can't wait for it to start snowing again!!

Any suggestions for a name?

Name:	DSC_0059.JPG 
Views:	516 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	118150

Name:	IMG_20120602_140912.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	118148