Page 433 of 510 FirstFirst ... 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 ... LastLast
Results 10,801 to 10,825 of 12727
    Thanks for the details. My next camper is prob going to be a stripped down composite w a Li battery system, fresh water tank only, diesel heater and a bed.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    canada has a law that if you have a certain amount of employees and are a specific distance from a hospital you have to have an ambulance on site. So that is what Tufport specializes in. There are others also making them.

If I was doing it again I would go with the totalcomposites. I just went with what Tufport had on their site. I sent a deposit and got a product. I expected the shell to be fully insulated. It is not. only the top half is and they use a product like RecPro bubble. Also the overcab was supposed to be insulated. If it is it is sandwiched tightly between the shell and liner.

I paid extra to have added wood installed as I thought I might like to screw into that. With the liner you cannot see the wood. I asked for a shop drawing of the wood locations. I received a lacking hand drawn sketch. I also paid for the extra light in cab over. It was not installed. They refunded me the price of the light. That does not cover my labor or change the fact that I was hoping to have the wiring run inside the liner so it would not be visible.

They also have brake light wiring. They installed the shell on my truck at the factory. They did not know how to wire the lights properly. I have a towing package and received errors so I disconnected the lights. I would not bother with them and get a discount.

I got the 60 40 door. Waste of money. The standard door is all you need. The seal on the door and vibration lets dust in the camper. I am going to work on the seal.

I think the construction of the shell is fine. It is working like I wanted. Rides great on my stock f150. I am getting 17 mpg with the camper.

So far I have stayed warm in the camper with temps in the teens at night. However it involves running the heater fairly constantly. Not a big issue other than noise.

If I were to do it again I would spend more time communicating with Tufport to make sure I got what I wanted. I would also consider just buying the shell which is half the price of the totalcomposite. I would then insulate myself.

BFD, I ripped 100% interior out of my Kodiak camper and insulated with 2” XPS and FRP panels from HomeDepot. Its a fast job and something I would imagine would work on your rig. Its pretty cheap and makes a professional clean finish.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    new brand to my eyes and i want one, but holy shit, 300k to add a camper to tacoma https://www.truckhouse.co
    JFC, base price is $350k. Pushing $500k for all the bells and whistles? This is officially out of hand.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    JFC, base price is $350k. Pushing $500k for all the bells and whistles? This is officially out of hand.
    Remote working crypto dentists need to buy SOMETHING for the 'gram.

Taking the already underpowered Taco and maxing out the weight and doubling the frontal area... Brilliant.

I see it’s time for our monthly Truckhouse discussion in this thread. .

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...221940/page-18 summarizes the boxed frame / stronger axle / supercharger / etc and why it makes more sense to start with a HD truck.

Anyway, moving on…

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Taking the already underpowered Taco and maxing out the weight and doubling the frontal area... Brilliant.
    Yeah, the first thing I thought was why a Tacoma? I have a 2019 Taco and while the suspension can be totally rebuilt/changed out, it still has an under powdered V6 for the intended application and a small truck bed. Even a half ton Tundra with a rebuilt suspension makes more sense if it must be a Toyota, but a 1 ton HD dually makes the most sense as a starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I see it’s time for our monthly Truckhouse discussion in this thread. .

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...221940/page-18 summarizes the boxed frame / stronger axle / supercharger / etc and why it makes more sense to start with a HD truck.

Anyway, moving on…
    This...

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Gotta give them credit for an otherwise amazing build. I’d rather have that effort on a 1 ton truck, but I bet it does ok. They’ve certainly done their homework. Nobody got their panties in a bind over the Uber classic Sunrader….

Santa arrived early I’m gonna be busy….

.Name:  CCCCDEDB-E632-4C7A-A6E4-81F91A70932B.jpeg
Views: 740
Size:  123.6 KB

First test of linear actuators lifting roof. Worked flawlessly. Tick tick tick sound is diesel heater in garage, not actuators.

^looks like its working well.

I'm guessing the door is on the port side?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    ^looks like its working well.

I'm guessing the door is on the port side?
    Yes, port.

This one is gonna be hard to top. Skip the 1st min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqeKTq0RjLQ

Holy crap good for him!

Insanely needlessly heavy. Neat though

I don't feel the need to industrial scissor jack my shit 30 feet in the air

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Insanely needlessly heavy. Neat though

I don't feel the need to industrial scissor jack my shit 30 feet in the air
    Thankfully everyone isn't a look at me type.

Pair it with one of these and you've got yourself the perfect fleet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 9.43.22 AM.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	444.2 KB 
ID:	436321

Installed a relatively cheap ($139) Amazon ceiling fan. I have a much more expensive Fantastic Fan in my other truck camper. This cheapo is way better. Six speeds, the two lowest speeds are super quiet, much quieter than the FF. Got all the lights done, sink/faucet, heater going in today. Flatbed build soon, looking forward to that. Welding is more fun than epoxy work, that's for sure.

Name:	IMG-9176.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	575.2 KB 
ID:	436358

Name:	IMG-9179.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	436359

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Yes, port.
    Wait...port side? Curious to your reasoning there. Seems it would make it tougher to get into if you needed to when parked on the side of a street.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Wait...port side? Curious to your reasoning there. Seems it would make it tougher to get into if you needed to when parked on the side of a street.
    For what it’s worth I have never camped , or intended to camp on the side of the street where door on the driver side of the vehicle would be an issue. Goal with this build was lightweight, easy to drive, remote camping not at campgrounds or in ski area parking lots.

Looking forward to more inside in pics. Cool!

For what it’s worth I have never camped , or intended to camp on the side of the street where door on the driver side of the vehicle would be an issue. Goal with this build was lightweight, easy to drive, remote camping not at campgrounds or in ski area parking lots.
    I wasn't thinking camping...just access to get something in/out or load food in if you happen to be parked road side. Not likely to be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    I wasn't thinking camping...just access to get something in/out or load food in if you happen to be parked road side. Not likely to be an issue.
    Yeah, good points. Honestly call it lazy, door is port, so is drivers door. Really didn’t give it much thought on what side. Didn’t want back door as rear of campers gets so dirty.

Yeah, good points. Honestly call it lazy, door is port, so is drivers door. Really didn’t give it much thought on what side. Didn’t want back door as rear of campers gets so dirty.
    Hah, yeah, walking around to passenger side every time would get old. The wife and kid can deal that