Page 374 of 510 FirstFirst ... 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 ... LastLast
Results 9,326 to 9,350 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by dub2 View Post
    Fair points. I just struggled to keep things dry in the winter when on longer trips. After coming home I would typically find quite a bit of moisture in the canvas and under the bed, that would take a while to dry out. With the FWC, it isn't just the canvas that is poorly insulated, but the aluminum walls with no insulation too.

Is it doable in the winter? Yes, but like you said you have to be diligent about insulating the canvas at night, and drying things out when you can. My heater would run pretty constantly to keep things above freezing too.

When I'm on trips, I'm lazy and don't want to think too much about keeping things dry. Ideally just want something insulated with a diesel heater.

I've only used my FWC w the cold weather pack on 1 colder trip (20F) and it was much like the old days of an aluminum top on my pu bed. Fortunately I was able to open it up in a garage to dry it out immediately after the trip. The aluminum walls and frame are super conductors. While I'm sure it could be a bit more comfortable w some practice, I want to concentrate on my activity not staying warm and dry. Imo, it's a 3 season rig at best, and so I will either keep it knowing that or go big w a Big Foot or Northern Light. I hate the idea of a top heavy outfit and dual rear wheels that is going to be hard to get around the Forest with, but I'm not taking the FWC on a ski trip that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dub2 View Post
    Moving on from my FWC fleet as I am tired of dealing with cold canvas in the winter. Even with the heater, the thing was never warm enough for comfortable ski camping. I didn't use it enough in the summer to justify its downsides in the winter. And, I Had someone offer me enough for it and the truck that it was on that I couldn't say no.

Thinking of using the money for an older diesel Sprinter with a nice, insulated build and a heater. Really just want something warm for the winter. Anything else should I be looking at?
    I went with the molded fiberglass shell just so it would handle the weather and rough dirt roads. All I was looking for was a warm dry place for winter and Alaska summer. Similar construction as big foot, lighter and cheaper but have to finish myself.

This thread keeps on circling back to the same discussion of the main options and trade offs. I’ll just mention that for most of us, the point of having a travel rig is…..traveling. For us that means the western states and W Canada. A nearby E Sierra trip, even if it’s a wet early season blizzard, will soon be followed by a sunny dry spell that’s great for drying out a roof top tent or pop top camper. But visiting friends in Bellingham and skiing near Mt Baker…

After 20+ years of road-tripping, the #1 reason I’m a van convert now isn’t the 22 mpg, or year round weatherproofness & warmth, or exterior durability….it’s the ability to drive at night after a day in the backcountry & park somewhere, turn off the engine, crack a beer and have camp instantly established. Or drive somewhere in the morning 5 mins after waking up.

Anyone have experience with the stock furnace in a eurovan in the winter? Would winter camp with the top down, wondering if it keeps it warm. Cheaper than a fully built sprinter.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ssenger_banner

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2194.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	395235
    Finally found one! There’s lots of little things that need work, but it should be decent. Fairly complete, some fiberglass work to do. The truck with Timbrens does great with the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

FKNA should be a bombproof setup.

Very nice! Good luck and have fun.

That Bigfoot is gonna be great. I’m always dreaming about one of those on a flat bed with truck boxes in the void where the bed sides used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeKid View Post
    That Bigfoot is gonna be great. I’m always dreaming about one of those on a flat bed with truck boxes in the void where the bed sides used to be.
    Yup, and a custom long, locking box for skis in that area is my thought.

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post

Finally found one! There’s lots of little things that need work, but it should be decent. Fairly complete, some fiberglass work to do. The truck with Timbrens does great with the weight.

Nice! I used to have the same truck and hauled a 2,000lb Kodiak on it (similar clam shell camper). Truck hauled it fine. Now the camper is on a newer Dodge. That shell will be good for another 50 years.

Shityeah riff. Looks like about the same layout as my NL. You'll love it.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Name:  IMG_2200.JPG
Views: 649
Size:  182.2 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2207.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	395344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2199.JPG 
Views:	181 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	395346

First night was a success- near North Powder, Oregon. Sweet to pop the escape hatch to look at morning weather. Cozy, warm and the lady digs it. Upgrades to follow!

Last edited by riff; 12-05-2021 at 01:24 PM.
    Gravity always wins...

Name:  IMG_2200.JPG
Views: 649
Size:  182.2 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2207.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	395344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2199.JPG 
Views:	181 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	395346

First night was a success- near North Powder, Oregon. Sweet to pop the escape hatch in look at morning weather. Cozy, warm and the lady digs it. Upgrades to follow!

Damn Riff, that looks sweet!! Killer setup.

If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost you? Trying to budget for something similar and want a good idea of what the target number might be

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

We scored- the only reason we were willing to drive to Idaho for it. It needs some fiberglass repair which may need professional attention, but for this winter gorilla tape will keep the water out. Here’s a summary of condition to put the price in perspective.
    Pros-
    Most appliances work
    Glass intact.
    Original stuff mostly present.
    Two brand new marine batteries.
    $1200 in receipts from the rv shop in july.
    Two full propane tanks!

Cons-
    Broken fiberglass
    Needs seat cushions
    Squirrel occupied for a bit, chewed on trim, cushions.
    Needs cleaning.
    Needs nasty carpet taken out.
    Fridge may not work.
    Needs curtains.
    Bathroom is disgusting- probably stripping it all out.
    Needs exterior fittings resealed.
    Jacks need rebuilding.
    Busted strike plate/janky door handle

Fairly immediate Plans:
    New floor
    Strip bathroom
    Fridge?
    Curtains
    Dinette cushions
    Wash/wax exterior
    Rebuild Jacks
    Battery box
    Usb plugs
    Led lights

Later:
    New table
    Fiberglass repair in summer

We paid $2000. After watching for months, I surprised it didn’t get snapped up faster, but I think the glass work scared some folks. Even if it’s a tough fix though, worth it. Even if the fix fails in a few years, worth it.

Gravity always wins...

Without the glass damage similar specimens are around two times the price, without the other stuff maybe three or four times the price. Facebook Bigfoot group helped me get a grip on it all. Lots of gotchas of course, before 1988 they were wider and won’t fit newer trucks; this one is just new enough to be the updated mold.

Gravity always wins...

Without the glass damage similar specimens are around two times the price, without the other stuff maybe three or four times the price. Facebook Bigfoot group helped me get a grip on it all. Lots of gotchas of course, before 1988 they were wider and won’t fit newer trucks; this one is just new enough to be the updated mold.

Fiberglass work is pretty easy . Get some chopstrand evercoat and a roller. New Fridge is pretty nice upgrade and definitely take care of the bathroom for ur ladyfriends sake. Stoked for you gonna have a great winter!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

In this market, even with the cons that seems like a steal. I was (briefly) looking at shitty
    fwc's from the 80's that were 3x that much. Congrats!

We scored-...

We paid $2000. After watching for months, I surprised it didn’t get snapped up faster, but I think the glass work scared some folks. Even if it’s a tough fix though, worth it. Even if the fix fails in a few years, worth it.

Uhh fuck yeah you did!! Congratulations man!!

We're probably 2-3 years behind you, but this is exactly the type of deal I wanna find. Very well done!!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

deals to had out on lawnguyland...

https://longisland.craigslist.org/rv...413271320.html

minivan camper ponderings, queries on roofbox drag, C of G and spatial relationships

Going to spend many nights this winter living in a van down by the mountains. Trying to figure out how to arrange the cargo. I will have a full size spare (AWD Sienna has no space for a spare; it comes with run flats) at least 4 pairs of skis (2 prs alpine, 1 pr tele and a pair of xc or bc for meadow skipping), will *possibly* have some batteries, inverter and solar panel(s). Most seats already removed. With 3rd row removed there is a lot of cargo space available where the seats stow that can accommodate spare, aux batteries, tools.

MPG with roofbox is around 20. Not sure how much better the 04 awd Sienna would get without box and crossbars. If I tossed the spare up on the roof it would no doubt be worse. Could put the spare behind rear door If I get a thing to fit in the hitch. So the options are:

a) put it all inside, decrease drag, lower center of gravity and increase security,
    b) roofbox for skis. Spare and everything else inside
    c) roofbox and spare on roof,

This vehicle is about driving and sleeping. I don't need a living room, kitchen, toilet, shower, home theater, or real heater. The box/platform/bed will be secured for travel and leveled with shims for sleeping.

Curious what experienced minivan camper folk think. Thanks for your wisdom or what could feasibly be considered such

Name:	sienna roofbox.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	395468

Quote Originally Posted by charlesj View Post
    minivan camper ponderings, queries on roofbox drag, C of G and spatial relationships

Going to spend many nights this winter living in a van down by the mountains. Trying to figure out how to arrange the cargo. I will have a full size spare (AWD Sienna has no space for a spare; it comes with run flats) at least 4 pairs of skis (2 prs alpine, 1 pr tele and a pair of xc or bc for meadow skipping), will *possibly* have some batteries, inverter and solar panel(s). Most seats already removed. With 3rd row removed there is a lot of cargo space available where the seats stow that can accommodate spare, aux batteries, tools.

MPG with roofbox is around 20. Not sure how much better the 04 awd Sienna would get without box and crossbars. If I tossed the spare up on the roof it would no doubt be worse. Could put the spare behind rear door If I get a thing to fit in the hitch. So the options are:

a) put it all inside, decrease drag, lower center of gravity and increase security,

This vehicle is about driving and sleeping. I don't need a living room, kitchen, toilet, shower, home theater, or real heater. The box/platform/bed will be secured for travel and leveled with shims for sleeping.

Curious what experienced minivan camper folk think. Thanks for your wisdom or what could feasibly be considered such

I had a Previa and the roof box was so nice. Was never a big winter camper. But shoulder season a lot. Ski’s are a pain in the van. You can also put trash, fire wood, wet stuff, boots. We had 2 people so more crowded.

Do you have a full size spare or a donut? I have a donut spare and I can stuff it into the cargo area behind the 3rd row. ‘04 AWD Sienna. Roof box is a must have IMO. MPG hit would be negligible if you mounted it on the roof with the box.

Quote Originally Posted by charlesj View Post

We have a raised bed platform and put skis under it. I have a roof box too but so far haven't used it with the sienna. We fit four pairs of skis and two people + stuff without it.

Tire is a little tougher, ours is just the fwd version so spare lives underneath.

I'll try to post some pics this week now that I'm done with the heater too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    I'll try to post some pics this week now that I'm done with the heater too.
    Sweet -- looking forward to it.

My little van addition for this year is a homemade center console for the Sienna. The stock one is nice but makes moving back/forth difficult. Building basically a box that I can quickly unclip (ski boot buckle?) and move behind the passenger seat to act as a little seat for hanging out and playing cards. Or remove entirely when it's just me camping for ease of access. Really wish it was reasonably easy to put a swivel in these things.

Re:roof box. Personally I'd opt for b. Roof box is just too damn handy for skis. But it depends on your build. My build retains the 3rd row seats which are used for hanging/transporting passengers/having a little work desk. So inside doesn't work for me.

Working at hill setup.

Name:	csL0UdY.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	395523