Page 177 of 510 FirstFirst ... 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,425 of 12747
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Northern Lite or Bigfoot? I've looked around and have never seen one that doesn't overhang the bumper. But I'd be pretty interested in that...
    It's a Bigfoot. Very basic, no bathroom or gray water, etc. Used to have an Alaskan Pop Up and the Bigfoot is 1000lbs lighter. They are rare, but IMO worth the search.

It hangs out a bit on my 6'9" bed, but doesn't cover the tail lights or obscure the license plate. I normally run with the tailgate off.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I've been thinking of changing gears and getting a hard-side to replace the Alaskan since the space chocolate incident of 2017 and well, it finally happened. A fellow mag pointed me to this pristine Bigfoot 1500c8.0 in Canada that had everything we need and nothing we don't and we couldn't resist.

Coming soon to a ski area parking lot or trailhead near you....

Attachment 229319

If anyone is looking for a sweet 2009 Alaskan 8.5CO, pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    It's a Bigfoot. Very basic, no bathroom or gray water, etc. Used to have an Alaskan Pop Up and the Bigfoot is 1000lbs lighter. They are rare, but IMO worth the search.

It hangs out a bit on my 6'9" bed, but doesn't cover the tail lights or obscure the license plate. I normally run with the tailgate off.
    Ah, right on. I do recall seeing one of those in my searches. I think one of those might be a little bit small for us, but they look rad.

Which also brings me back to one of my longstanding gripes: I wish more companies made campers like that one that don't have a bathroom, or at least had a bathroom delete option.

Which also brings me back to one of my longstanding gripes: I wish more companies made campers like that one that don't have a bathroom, or at least had a bathroom delete option.

now, there's a unicorn.....

Ah, right on. I do recall seeing one of those in my searches. I think one of those might be a little bit small for us, but they look rad.

I actually really like the dry bath in my newest monstrosity. It's really nice to have a shower to hang wet gear and the bathroom is the optimal place to take off wet boots.

For weight and not having to fuss with blackwater; I get it. After I floated the camper, storm chasing and boondocking idea to the wife-unit, the bathroom was mandatory. I could probably do without the shower though she seems to be for it. And for me, in the summer for multi-day motorbike adventures, the ability to rinse off after a dusty rasty or sweaty track day seems nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I actually really like the dry bath in my newest monstrosity. It's really nice to have a shower to hang wet gear and the bathroom is the optimal place to take off wet boots.
    I was about to ask the collective how they managed the wet, sweaty ski gear. Now I know. Thanks! #theresalwaysanupside

Dude the bathroom is key for winter comfort. Wet boots gotta be quarantined.

And who wants to get dressed to go out into the nuking winter night just to piss?

A hit with kids n wives, too, of course.

Poopwater dump chore is cake, don't shy away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    For weight and not having to fuss with blackwater; I get it. After I floated the camper, storm chasing and boondocking idea to the wife-unit, the bathroom was mandatory. I could probably do without the shower though she seems to be for it. And for me, in the summer for multi-day motorbike adventures, the ability to rinse off after a dusty rasty or sweaty track day seems nice.
    A lot of campers have outside showers which is nice for dust rinse duties.

I was about to ask the collective how they managed the wet, sweaty ski gear. Now I know. Thanks! #theresalwaysanupside
    I actually much prefer the dry bath to the previous smaller "wet bath" campers we had. It is a giant beast though.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

And who wants to get dressed to go out into the nuking winter night just to piss?

How do you keep things from freezing? I don't use any of the plumbing in our camper in the winter. The whole system gets winterized in the fall. Keeping all of the tanks and pipes from freezing when it's in the negatives outside sounds like a huge pain in the ass. Not to mention dealing with emptying everything every time we get home is just another hassle, and it's one that I would inevitably slack on, which would inevitably lead to a bunch of burst pipes. We generally stay more or less below freezing from November until April, so if anything freezes in my camper, it's staying frozen for the remainder of the season.

Storing wet stuff in the bathroom is nice, except our bathroom stays significantly colder than the rest of the camper, so things in there don't really dry. Dirty laundry goes in there, but things that I want to ski in the next day stay in close proximity to the furnace.

My spring project is actually going to be to rip out the toilet, bathroom sink, and maybe the water heater. We never use them and they're just extra weight as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention I'd rather use that space for storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    A lot of campers have outside showers which is nice for dust rinse duties.
    Agreed. I like the outside shower. Never used the inside one.

What, you can't swing $ for a bucket?

Only use the pisser for pee. RV antifreeze keeps it from going solid. Simple and effective.

Our 1992 Northland 8-6 is still keeping us near the hill, warm, dry, fed and only cost $2k 8 years ago. It ain't pretty but it was cheap and is still effective.

Doesn't overhang the 8ft bed, a pair of skis go in the drawer under and the rest in the crew cab rear seat area.

Don't most companies offer a shell option?

Maybe not for the big rigs, I don't know.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

To reinforce my annoyed post,

PLEASE don’t park right next to the only other camper in the area then fire up your generator and leave it running ALL NIGHT.

Either this guy is clueless and incompetent on how to use his rig, or he is just plain clueless.

Either way, a total ass.

Camping at Rabbit Ears or Towogtee Pass is like a symphony of generators in the winter. The bigger the rig the more they run it.

How do you keep things from freezing? I don't use any of the plumbing in our camper in the winter. The whole system gets winterized in the fall. Keeping all of the tanks and pipes from freezing when it's in the negatives outside sounds like a huge pain in the ass. Not to mention dealing with emptying everything every time we get home is just another hassle, and it's one that I would inevitably slack on, which would inevitably lead to a bunch of burst pipes. We generally stay more or less below freezing from November until April, so if anything freezes in my camper, it's staying frozen for the remainder of the season.

Storing wet stuff in the bathroom is nice, except our bathroom stays significantly colder than the rest of the camper, so things in there don't really dry. Dirty laundry goes in there, but things that I want to ski in the next day stay in close proximity to the furnace.

My spring project is actually going to be to rip out the toilet, bathroom sink, and maybe the water heater. We never use them and they're just extra weight as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention I'd rather use that space for storage.
    I removed the water heater and main tank, only leaving sparse plumbing to the two sinks which remain dry all winter. Flex hose on the water pump for rare summer use with temporary jugs.

The only wet plumbing is the black tank, which gets a shot of antifreeze... and flush with a splash from the water bottle. Keeping the flush volume down also helps reduce the frequency of the dump chore.

Gloves and goggs sit by the furnace to truly dry, while the bathroom gets the drip-dry gear like boots and shells. Ours has no door, so things do get dry in there given enough time.

Who pees in their RV pisser? It either goes straight out the back door, or into a bottle to be disposed of discretely out the back door once its dark.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    To reinforce my annoyed post,

PLEASE don’t park right next to the only other camper in the area then fire up your generator and leave it running ALL NIGHT.

Either this guy is clueless and incompetent on how to use his rig, or he is just plain clueless.

Either way, a total ass.
    Wrong Forum jong?

Mountain etiquette thread
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    Wrong Forum jong?

Mountain etiquette thread
    No. Directly speaking to this crowd. Although I really hope maggots are not that clueless.

I removed the water heater and main tank, only leaving sparse plumbing to the two sinks which remain dry all winter. Flex hose on the water pump for rare summer use with temporary jugs.

The only wet plumbing is the black tank, which gets a shot of antifreeze... and flush with a splash from the water bottle. Keeping the flush volume down also helps reduce the frequency of the dump chore.

Gloves and goggs sit by the furnace to truly dry, while the bathroom gets the drip-dry gear like boots and shells. Ours has no door, so things do get dry in there given enough time.
    That makes sense, and doesn't seem like too much of a hassle. Although we generally have enough gear piled on and around the toilet that using it is generally not possible.

I actually just pulled the door off our bathroom a few days ago. TBD how much that helps the drying situation in there.

Sorry, for the catch-up post...

1. Bobcat: NL and BF are not "heavy." At least not compared to comparably-sized hard sides (especially Arctic Fox. If you got a 2500, AF is out unless significant suspension upgrades, with the cheapest of those being "sell 2500 and buy 3500")

2. Toast/LVS/Bikes/Hitches/8.5ft/etc.... Can't this be circumvented with an extendo-hitch? Or is that just something people use for towing (as opposed to bike racks)?

3. LVS/Dry Bath.... This is pure wisdom. Wet gear storage AND being able to take a piss in the middle of the night without cutting my ankle on LVS's old ice skis.

4. Toilets and running water rock. Internet tried to talk me out of them. Glad I didn't listen. YMMV if you have no good access to a dump station. Free, 7-minute detour for me.

5. Keeping things from freezing... If true 4 seasons, I keep furnace on 45 (lowest it will go). All tanks are warm. Uses very little fuel, and contrary to popular belief, does not increase humidity (people, gear, and cooking do that).

6. Wet/cold bathroom... I open the door and crack the vent. Let air in from cracked window elsewhere. Subjectively, this works, but my plan is to install 5 or 6 super small 12v computer fans directing air to all the condensation cold spots. No idea why they aren't built like this in the first place. But I guess most people camp in the summer so...

6. generators at night. I turn mine off at 10, but I wish no one had to. Much prefer Honda EU2000 eco mode drone to Pisten Bully backup beeps and other various overnight operational sounds in a resort lot.

Forgot to post this. Looks like it would get someone into the game on the cheap.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...813094766.html

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    5. Keeping things from freezing... If true 4 seasons, I keep furnace on 45 (lowest it will go). All tanks are warm. Uses very little fuel, and contrary to popular belief, does not increase humidity (people, gear, and cooking do that).
    How do you keep things from freezing while driving? Keeping the plumbing unfrozen while I'm actually camping and the furnace is running doesn't seem like that big of a deal. But longer drives in cold temps seem problematic - a 10 hour drive in 20 degree weather seems like it'd be enough to freeze some pipes. And are you just filling the tanks immediately before you drive away, and then emptying them as soon as you get back? Or is the camper sitting in your driveway with the heater on?

How do you keep things from freezing while driving? Keeping the plumbing unfrozen while I'm actually camping and the furnace is running doesn't seem like that big of a deal. But longer drives in cold temps seem problematic - a 10 hour drive in 20 degree weather seems like it'd be enough to freeze some pipes. And are you just filling the tanks immediately before you drive away, and then emptying them as soon as you get back? Or is the camper sitting in your driveway with the heater on?
    Maybe this is a cardinal sin, but I just leave it on while driving. I'm not sure if it's ever fired up on the road though. I usually depart with interior temp at 60+ and am only on the road for 2 hours.

I drain grey/black every Sunday, and I just top-up fresh the night before leaving. Caveat: this is only my first winter of camper ownership, so maybe something is about to catastrophically fail, but so far so good. I couldn't find any surface of any holding tank or pipe that was colder than 40° with the thermostat set at 45 (ambient temps in mid 20's overnight).

Maybe this is a cardinal sin, but I just leave it on while driving. I'm not sure if it's ever fired up on the road though. I usually depart with interior temp at 60+ and am only on the road for 2 hours.

I drain grey/black every Sunday, and I just top-up fresh the night before leaving. Caveat: this is only my first winter of camper ownership, so maybe something is about to catastrophically fail, but so far so good. I couldn't find any surface of any holding tank or pipe that was colder than 40° with the thermostat set at 45 (ambient temps in mid 20's overnight).
    That is absolutely a cardinal sin IMO because if you crash, you have an open propane source that could possibly burn up all your shit and/or explode your tanks...

Or if a fitting comes loose, your rig could fill with propane without you being able to smell it.

Tank valves closed on the road is a strong suggestion

That is absolutely a cardinal sin IMO because if you crash, you have an open propane source that could possibly burn up all your shit and/or explode your tanks...

Or if a fitting comes loose, your rig could fill with propane without you being able to smell it.

Tank valves closed on the road is a strong suggestion
    aw shucks. bested by logic again.

Toast, I no longer have a game-plan for longer trips in cold weather, though I'd wager that motion lowers the freezing temp enough for anywhere I'd care to drive in a day. Maybe have to take a pit stop for 15 minutes to fire up the furnace if it was cold enough outside?

aw shucks. bested by logic again.

Toast, I no longer have a game-plan for longer trips in cold weather, though I'd wager that motion lowers the freezing temp enough for anywhere I'd care to drive in a day. Maybe have to take a pit stop for 15 minutes to fire up the furnace if it was cold enough outside?
    Doesn't motion make the liquid freeze more easily since there's disturbed air bubbles for crystals to nucleate around?

Nerding out on that stuff aside, it seems like maybe you just live in a warmer place than I do? You're talking about draining the black / grey tanks on the weekend - but those things would be frozen solid within 12 of not having regular heat on them. And even just filling and draining the fresh water tank would be a hassle - I'd have to blow out the lines after every use.

Consider me envious of you having that stuff dialed (driving with propane on notwithstanding).