Page 404 of 508 FirstFirst ... 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 ... LastLast
Results 10,076 to 10,100 of 12695
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I like a rubber horse mat for the base layer, makes a great bed liner when the camper is off the truck.
    Yep, those are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Get the height right w sheets of foam insulation.
    I tried this, using high compression strength pink board. It wasn't satisfactory - when the camper rocks a bit in the bed, it compresses into the foam. I ended up building a wood platform to raise the camper enough to clear the cab height.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    It is pretty cool, but why is Iggy Pop doing pull-ups on his bike rack?
    He must be selling the rig to pay for his chemo. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I tried this, using high compression strength pink board. It wasn't satisfactory - when the camper rocks a bit in the bed, it compresses into the foam. I ended up building a wood platform to raise the camper enough to clear the cab height.
    You have a big camper, right? Worked ok for my little NL. Yeah it imprinted a little but not enough to be a concern.

I like having a little crush layer under the camper in case of a pothole hit or whatever. And the foam is light.

I live in the PNW and my first wood platform soaked up a lot of water and got heavy and gross quickly.

You have a big camper, right? Worked ok for my little NL. Yeah it imprinted a little but not enough to be a concern.

I like having a little crush layer under the camper in case of a pothole hit or whatever. And the foam is light.

I live in the PNW and my first wood platform soaked up a lot of water and got heavy and gross quickly.
    Ours is a pop-up Northstar. I built the foam riser using a sheet of 5/8" plywood screwed through the foam and into the camper base. When I pulled on the edge of the cabover (to see if it would rock/compress), it moved a disturbing amount, and I wasn't confident about whether it would hit the cab roof when driving on rough roads. There was about 2 1/2" cab clearance with that setup.

Pulled it all apart and reused that plywood on a 2x4 frame - basically built a 4x8 pallet. No more compression rocking, and cab clearance is about 3 1/2" with that riser.

The camper fit a lot easier on the old GMC than on the new Ford.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Maybe the foam stood atop the raised ridges in the truck bed and didn't imprint enough to stabilize? Whatever, I'm not too hung up on defending the foam sheets. They've been an adequate cheap solution for me but there's lotsa ways to make the spacing work.

My old man as a cool bed spacing system that I've thought about replicating. He uses a rubber mat at the truck bed, then a few sheets of marine ply that have slots cut into them so they can interlock and stand on edge in an X shape, with braces on the short ends. When the camper comes off the truck, the ply platform is sturdy enough to hold the weight of the camper so the jacks aren't loaded. He uses this for hunting base camp, etc.

Marine ply. Been good for 4 years anyway. Horse mat on top for the bumps and a bit of extra clearance.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Sorry man, but that just looks way out or proportion.....
    Thats my old camper... you dont know shit... out or proportion!? Ever look at the campers being sold these days that folks put in 1 ton duallys? 2x the size of the truck. Shit is styling with the air bags. Its not sitting on a pallet its on 2x6 pressure treated screwed into the frame which is how you raise a camper not this laying carpet, foam and other bull shit everyone is talking about. Obviously he doesnt need it to be raised so no big deal to remove a few 2x6.

Gotta get some grace ice and water on top of that bad ride.

Who's the resident Chevy Express van expert? Hoping to check this one out tomorrow:

https://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/d...464331537.html

I really like the simplicity of this camper build and size of these vans, but coming from the world of Toyotas the prospect of a 20-year old domestic makes me nervous. Specific maintenance concerns or items to check? Price seems really high for mileage and age, but these days who knows what's reasonable anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
    Who's the resident Chevy Express van expert? Hoping to check this one out tomorrow:

https://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/d...464331537.html

I really like the simplicity of this camper build and size of these vans, but coming from the world of Toyotas the prospect of a 20-year old domestic makes me nervous. Specific maintenance concerns or items to check? Price seems really high for mileage and age, but these days who knows what's reasonable anymore.
    If it helps, I have an '04 w/ 240K miles on it as a work vehicle and it is still (Knock on wood) running like a champ. $45K is insane though. I didn't know they made the 2500 with AWD, I thought it was just the 1500. I guess it is cheaper than anything else of that genre.

Thanks, good to hear. It looks like 2003 was the only year the 2500 was available with AWD. The more research I do the more I agree that $45K is insane...possibly one reason it's been listed for a month without selling.

The empty cargo versions with 200k are selling for $20k around Seattle. Swivel seats and the pop top is cool. I also thought only the 1500 is AWD. Expedition portal will have better answers. Parts are easy to get.

Quote Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
    Specific maintenance concerns or items to check? Price seems really high for mileage and age, but these days who knows what's reasonable anymore.
    I put ~90K on my '08 Express and `~120K on my '99 4runner. The Express needed lots of door handles, but was otherwise solid. Between the two the 4runner required much more maintenance. Transmissions are the weak point on those vans.

Buddy of mine sold this one (~170K miles) for $35K last May. Took about 2wks at that price.

An '08 cargo (210K miles) with a better build than the gold one sold a wk ago for in Longmont for $25K. $45K is dumb for a pop top, a lift, and a weekend's worth of build out. If you buy it for anywhere above $35K, lmk so I can use it as an absurd comp for my ongoing insurance claim. But seriously, if you buy a built Express in CO hit me up - could help a lot in getting fair value for my toasted van.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Yup, Express is fairly reliable (my previous was a Toyota) and parts are dirt cheap. The AWD plus a heavy rig is magic in the snow.

Transmissions are terrible on the 1/2 ton (4L60E), just plan on it shitting the bed somewhere above 100k miles. Might be tomorrow, might be another 100k miles from now, but it’ll happen someday. Rebuilt transmissions from a reputable shop replace many stock parts with much better aftermarket pieces (like GM should have done from the start).

But look around, in town I’m within eyesight another Express van at all times, they’re ubiquitous for work trucks. There wouldn’t be so many on the road if they weren’t at lease mostly reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Yup, Express is fairly reliable (my previous was a Toyota) and parts are dirt cheap. The AWD plus a heavy rig is magic in the snow.

Transmissions are terrible on the 1/2 ton (4L60E), just plan on it shitting the bed somewhere above 100k miles. Might be tomorrow, might be another 100k miles from now, but it’ll happen someday. Rebuilt transmissions from a reputable shop replace many stock parts with much better aftermarket pieces (like GM should have done from the start).

But look around, in town I’m within eyesight another Express van at all times, they’re ubiquitous for work trucks. There wouldn’t be so many on the road if they weren’t at lease mostly reliable.
    I've replaced the 4l60e twice in my yukon xl (first was a thousand miles after buying it and second was result of a bad install on the first IMO). Good news if they do go out they are the same tranny as the yukon/silverado/tahoe/suburban/yukon xl/sierra (and I'm sure others) so they're easy to get from a junkyard or refurbisher. Same thing for transfer case I believe
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I've replaced the 4l60e twice in my yukon xl (first was a thousand miles after buying it and second was result of a bad install on the first IMO). Good news if they do go out they are the same tranny as the yukon/silverado/tahoe/suburban/yukon xl/sierra (and I'm sure others) so they're easy to get from a junkyard or refurbisher. Same thing for transfer case I believe
    Ouch. But yeah, they’re a dime a dozen and any shop reasonably competent can rebuild a 4L60E (something that cannot be said of modern 7+speed/CVTs) I thought about doing it myself, but I found a shop to do a Heavy Duty build and install it for under $2000 (with a warranty)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1651249523.431113.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	414757

It is going to be a beautiful closing weekend at Kirkwood. I do like using the SnoPark.

Quite the tail on that thing.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1651249523.431113.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	414757

It is going to be a beautiful closing weekend at Kirkwood. I do like using the SnoPark.
    Nice rig. I will be putting a deposit down on a Winnebago EKKO next week.

I thought Kirkwood chased all the RVs out or is SnoPark outside of Kirkwood, if so, how far?

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post

I thought Kirkwood chased all the RVs out or is SnoPark outside of Kirkwood, if so, how far?
    That is Carson Pass North (side of the road)

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post

Congratulations.
    Meiss Meadows is about 6 miles away.

I refuse to give up hope that they will again offer the RV pass.

Need a battery recommendation.

Truck cap setup, a couple LED, phone charging and maybe a fan, all 12v. Need to go 2-3 days of light use, maybe 8hrs max and probably WAY less.

Do not want a hackery set-up.

I think what you are looking for is any 12v battery

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I think what you are looking for is any 12v battery
    Kind of what I'm thinking, with such a small load just about any AGM ought to work...

Anything to stay away from on Amazon? Any slam dunks?

2 local stores this morning did not have any deep cycle in stock.