Page 175 of 187 FirstFirst ... 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,375 of 4653
  1. #4351
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dry Shitties
    Posts
    628
    I know everyone poo poos the tow behind option, but thats what we went with for many reasons. We ran through a couple days of gnarly driving in CO and New Mexico with our hummingbird over the holidays; hardpack, fresh, and ice. No issues other than dealing with -2 F one night. We carry many sets of chains though. (Rubies)

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  2. #4352
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland by way of Bozeman
    Posts
    2,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Attachment 264233
    2 maggot campers.

    Left, 1995 Bigfoot 2500 11.5í

    Right, 1996 Bigfoot 2500 10.6í w/basement

    both on 2002 gmt900 pickups with the 8.1l big block.

    Twins?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums


    I like. The 8.1L, too. Beastly. I'm assuming both trucks have the 8' bed?

    ETA: the googlator tells me that the 8.1L only came in the GMT800 plaform.

  3. #4353
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    invermere
    Posts
    522
    I have a 96 3500 dually with the 8.1, best motor ever made. I also had a 79 gmc crewcab many years ago with a carbed version that was built by a drag race shop. It got some serious looks from deisel owners when I would pull out and pass them with a 35ft fifthwheel hooked on. It dynoed at 550hp and 600 torque.

    Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

  4. #4354
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post


    I like. The 8.1L, too. Beastly. I'm assuming both trucks have the 8' bed?

    ETA: the googlator tells me that the 8.1L only came in the GMT800 plaform.
    You're right, they are GMT800 not 900. 8.1 is awesome, if you do the math the low cost of purchase, low maintenance, cheap oil changes, and lower fuel prices compared to a diesel, it makes up for any MPG difference. 8.1 has a ton of power (nearly 500 ft lbs of torque off the line), and so far I'm averaging 12-15mpg even with the camper. Only a few points less than my 6.4 powerstoke but I can replace the entire engine in the Chevy for the price of a turbo or injection pump on the Ford. Also because there's no turbo lag, I think it puts around a lot nicer, much smoother application of power, etc.

    Both have 8' beds, mine is an ext. cab, Steveski's is a 4 door.

    Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    I have a 96 3500 dually with the 8.1, best motor ever made. I also had a 79 gmc crewcab many years ago with a carbed version that was built by a drag race shop. It got some serious looks from deisel owners when I would pull out and pass them with a 35ft fifthwheel hooked on. It dynoed at 550hp and 600 torque.

    Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    wouldn't a 96 be the 7.4/454? In 2001 they lengthened the stoke, adding torques and another 50 cubes, thus the 8.1.

  5. #4355
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Golden
    Posts
    2,709
    Anyone been overnight at Purgatory recently? We've never tried parking overnight in any of their lots. We're doing a Powderhorn/Purg loop next week using our Loveland pass days. Powderhorn is easy and allows camping in their lower paved lot with a killer view.

    Any official/unofficial info would be appreciated.

    And if they're strictly no, then where have you squatted overnight nearby? Please PM is you don't want to broadcast. Thanks!
    Be always sure you're right ó THEN GO AHEAD!

    Itís not a date, itís a sport.TM STOP Boulderizing Golden!

  6. #4356
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,804
    Big block nerds! I love it. Does Chevy even make a big block now (I think 8.1s went to 2009)?

    Not a big block or a bow tie but I'd like to throw a bone to the Ford 6.2. It's been around long enough that it is earning workhorse status. +/- 385 hps +/- 400 ft lbs and acceptable gas mileage.

  7. #4357
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,039
    I wouldn't give up the basement, but I like the low profile of the non-basement. Got pushed around a bit in 40-50mph gusts coming home yesterday.

    I wonder how much of a difference the extra foot or so would even make though.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  8. #4358
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,689
    7.5 Ford van here. Wish I had better gearing but I'm happy with big block life.

  9. #4359
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Big block nerds! I love it. Does Chevy even make a big block now (I think 8.1s went to 2009)?

    Not a big block or a bow tie but I'd like to throw a bone to the Ford 6.2. It's been around long enough that it is earning workhorse status. +/- 385 hps +/- 400 ft lbs and acceptable gas mileage.
    Nope, sadly it went the way of the dodo bird. It's too bad, I think a 7.0l VVT direct injection big block with a low boost turbo (5-10lb) could have been a monster workhorse motor that got equal fuel economy as a diesel without all the costly maintenance. But instead everyone is all about the diesel I guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    I wouldn't give up the basement, but I like the low profile of the non-basement. Got pushed around a bit in 40-50mph gusts coming home yesterday.

    I wonder how much of a difference the extra foot or so would even make though.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    having had both, it's negligible but not having skis be a constant annoyance is very worthwhile. I would not go back fwiw.

  10. #4360
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    3,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Is anyone still camping in Mary Jane or Copper lots? I'm looking into truck camper options for the family and doing a little research I see that Copper and WP may have but an end to camping.
    I wouldn't plan on either of those being reliable. Time to time people get away with it, but a truck camper with a family usually gonna get moved out. Plus do you like your kids being woken up at 5am for plowing/move your car?

  11. #4361
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    2,146
    I tried to edit my post and I deleted it... "
    Is anyone still camping in Mary Jane or Copper lots? I'm looking into truck camper options for the family and doing a little research I see that Copper and WP may have put an end to camping."

  12. #4362
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    2,146
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I wouldn't plan on either of those being reliable. Time to time people get away with it, but a truck camper with a family usually gonna get moved out. Plus do you like your kids being woken up at 5am for plowing/move your car?
    We wake up now at 5am to get to ski team practice and races on time. At least they would be able to get back to sleep if we just had to move across the lot.

  13. #4363
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,804
    At WP and the Jane, the official policy is "no overnight parking". There are plenty of people doing it around and about and plenty of workarounds. I'll let you think about that and whether it is a sustainable plan for a family.

  14. #4364
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Golden
    Posts
    2,709
    Quote Originally Posted by simglecross View Post
    Any reason not to pull a hard shell pop up like this A-liner? Wife and I both have got lots of trailer pulling experience with boats so backing/parking is a non-issue. Seems like you could set it up and then detach to use the tow rig to explore whatever area/ town we would be visiting. Tow rig would be a 2000 Landcruiser 100 series. Thinking of a lap on the Powder Highway next winter traveling from the East coast.
    A couple brings one of these to LLand relatively regularly. Never talked with them about it. They're towing with a Tundra or something like that IIRC.
    Be always sure you're right ó THEN GO AHEAD!

    Itís not a date, itís a sport.TM STOP Boulderizing Golden!

  15. #4365
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    invermere
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    You're right, they are GMT800 not 900. 8.1 is awesome, if you do the math the low cost of purchase, low maintenance, cheap oil changes, and lower fuel prices compared to a diesel, it makes up for any MPG difference. 8.1 has a ton of power (nearly 500 ft lbs of torque off the line), and so far I'm averaging 12-15mpg even with the camper. Only a few points less than my 6.4 powerstoke but I can replace the entire engine in the Chevy for the price of a turbo or injection pump on the Ford. Also because there's no turbo lag, I think it puts around a lot nicer, much smoother application of power, etc.

    Both have 8' beds, mine is an ext. cab, Steveski's is a 4 door.


    wouldn't a 96 be the 7.4/454? In 2001 they lengthened the stoke, adding torques and another 50 cubes, thus the 8.1.
    Whoops you are correct

    Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

  16. #4366
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,039
    I will say this: ever since I decided no one ever gets a trailer to do very much skiing in (sunny, springtime stuff excluded), and ever since I got a truck camper, I see more and more trailers up at the mountain. I don't know if they're stopping to chain up or just picking their days.

    We are completely locked in to certain days for skiing/traveling, so I still wouldn't want a trailer, but the point is some people are always doing it around the same days I am, and they're not dying.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  17. #4367
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,252
    Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Whoops you are correct

    Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    Good motors either way. had I found a clean 454 truck for a reasonable price I would have done one of those.

    Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    I will say this: ever since I decided no one ever gets a trailer to do very much skiing in (sunny, springtime stuff excluded), and ever since I got a truck camper, I see more and more trailers up at the mountain. I don't know if they're stopping to chain up or just picking their days.

    We are completely locked in to certain days for skiing/traveling, so I still wouldn't want a trailer, but the point is some people are always doing it around the same days I am, and they're not dying.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Yeah but I like to imagine all my days will be 2" per hour chains required all vehicles except 4wd trailers spun off the road type days. My ski quiver reflects this as well.

    also at my local hill, truck campers are free, trailers are $20 per night

  18. #4368
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,039
    Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    We are completely locked in to certain days for skiing/traveling, so I still wouldn't want a trailer, but the point is some people are always doing it around the same days I am, and they're not dying.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Putting aside any issues with driving a trailer in the winter, I see the main benefit of bringing a trailer being that you can drop it at camp and have an unencumbered vehicle for driving around. But at least for my ski trips and winter camping excursions, I wouldn't really do that. I drive to some mountain pass and camp there for a couple days while I tour. Or drive to some resort and ski there, with maybe a quick drive to town for dinner. The vehicle doesn't move that much, so being able to drop the camper doesn't gain me a lot.

    In the summer, on the other hand, I'm much more likely to set up a camp and then drive all over the place in that area. Set up camp in moab and use the truck to drive around to various trailheads and run shuttles. For that, being able to drop the trailer is a huge benefit.

  19. #4369
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    North Worst
    Posts
    64
    Does anyone have experience with Jayco Sportsters and care to share their thoughts? I'm looking at getting a 94 for fairly cheap, $1500 is the asking price. I've owned an E250 with a penthouse top, so know it will take some insulating when popped up to keep comfortable. Anyone use one in winter? It would be going on a 4.0 Tacoma.

  20. #4370
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Putting aside any issues with driving a trailer in the winter, I see the main benefit of bringing a trailer being that you can drop it at camp and have an unencumbered vehicle for driving around. But at least for my ski trips and winter camping excursions, I wouldn't really do that. I drive to some mountain pass and camp there for a couple days while I tour. Or drive to some resort and ski there, with maybe a quick drive to town for dinner. The vehicle doesn't move that much, so being able to drop the camper doesn't gain me a lot.

    In the summer, on the other hand, I'm much more likely to set up a camp and then drive all over the place in that area. Set up camp in moab and use the truck to drive around to various trailheads and run shuttles. For that, being able to drop the trailer is a huge benefit.
    Yes indeed. But in a pinch, truck camper could be dropped as well, depending on how skilled one is with reloading. No comparison in terms of time, effort, and potential frustration though. I hate messing with my jacks out in the field.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  21. #4371
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,252
    My truck takes about 15 -20 minutes to unload or load with electric jacks. it's really nice. old hydraulic jacks took a long time.

  22. #4372
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    DownEast
    Posts
    111
    Thanks for the insight regarding trailers and the requirement to chain up in certain areas and conditions. We don't consider that on the East Coast. Would 4wd with studded tires on all wheels (including the trailer) get around the chain up requirement I wonder? We'd be coming from Maine where studded snow tires are legal and if I remember my time in Tahoe correctly, my studded snows and awd got me out of the chain up requirements. Guess I've got some research to do.

  23. #4373
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,252
    Quote Originally Posted by simglecross View Post
    Thanks for the insight regarding trailers and the requirement to chain up in certain areas and conditions. We don't consider that on the East Coast. Would 4wd with studded tires on all wheels (including the trailer) get around the chain up requirement I wonder? We'd be coming from Maine where studded snow tires are legal and if I remember my time in Tahoe correctly, my studded snows and awd got me out of the chain up requirements. Guess I've got some research to do.
    No. Western states can be quite strict about chains on vehicles with trailers, as often it's not a ski area access road but rather a major highway you're driving on to go ski and therefore if you wreck you cost the state millions of dollars in lost commerce if the highway is blocked. Not sure on Canada but I would say studs or no studs I would not want to drive Canadian mountain passes with a trailer. Rodgers Pass in a heavy snowstorm is gnarly in a AWD vehicle with studded snows, you couldn't pay me to do it with a trailer.

  24. #4374
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by simglecross View Post
    Thanks for the insight regarding trailers and the requirement to chain up in certain areas and conditions. We don't consider that on the East Coast. Would 4wd with studded tires on all wheels (including the trailer) get around the chain up requirement I wonder? We'd be coming from Maine where studded snow tires are legal and if I remember my time in Tahoe correctly, my studded snows and awd got me out of the chain up requirements. Guess I've got some research to do.
    Trailer generally means chains regardless.
    Truck over certain GVWR require chains regardless of load/tires in certain conditions (touchy subject in WA this winter).

    I'd plan on carrying chains either way.

    I'd personally much rather have a slide in then a trailer in 99% of winter conditions.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  25. #4375
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,689
    You guys would be amazed at the size of the trailers that I see snowmobilers tow on Rabbit Ears and Togwotee passes. Massive RVs towing them. Lol those rednecks are braver than us.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •