Page 149 of 510 FirstFirst ... 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,725 of 12736

Quote Originally Posted by Ak_pride View Post
    Okay, so the ad is complete shit. He is really talking this vehicle up like it is some nice piece of ass, in reality, it is not. The thing is not "This gets really good gas mileage". It probably gets around 10mpg or so realistically. Also, I would like to see receipts for all the new motor work. If he says that his brother-in-law who is a shade tree mechanic did it, and there are no receipts. Walk.

With that, if you are looking for something cheap to live in, that is cheap to repair, parts are abundant etc. then yes this would be fine for about $3000 then drive it into the ground, or fix it up. I personally would not pay $4500 for this rig just based on the ad alone.

AK-pussy
    off your knees Louie

Haha, I had similar thoughts. It smells a bit fishy. No way a V8 gets great mileage. If the motor was really done by the dealership as he says and has less than 2000 miles on it could be a score.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    AK-pussy
    Your thinking about pussy? Thats cool.

Posting has been deleted by the author.

Your thinking about pussy? Thats cool.
    actually I was thinking that thing is one owner away from it's finally resting place in the Knik River. Add pulled probably finished their spring cleaning.
    off your knees Louie

Back Into It!

After a few year hiatus of not having a truck camper, I found a good deal on a 2005 Northstar TC700 and dropped in on it!

Needs a bit of TLC, but totally solid and functional. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5050162.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	234916Name:  P5050158.JPG
Views: 1857
Size:  99.0 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P5050159.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	234919

Here's a gem:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto...555706239.html

Funny how this guy thinks he can throw an air mattress in the back of a van and call it a Sportsmobile.
    Last edited by Tamburello Rouge; 05-08-2018 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamburello Rouge View Post
    Here's a jem:

Funny how this guy thinks he can throw an air mattress in the back of a van and call it a Sportsmobile.
    I have a feeling this "sportsmobile" is where the owner lived in Palo Alto.

Probably just parked it outside of their hot block-coin startup until they found enough suckers and could afford to move into the closet of some 400 sqft condo that serves as headquarters of some other hot block-coin startup with 20 other hot block-coin startup owners.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Tamburello Rouge View Post
    Here's a jem:

This one doesn't even at least try. Some get put up around Colorado where basically they spent about $50 on OSB, hacked together some shit, put in a $50 foam mattress and automatically it is #vanlife with added $5-10k value.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Just saw these. They’re built/sold about an hours drive from here. Not sure how long they’ve been around or if there’s a 2nd hand market but they seem really well designed. Couple of Jongs but sweet looking rigs. Jam packed with features. Curious if the axle can be flipped to jack it up a touch for clearance

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Just saw these. They’re built/sold about an hours drive from here. Not sure how long they’ve been around or if there’s a 2nd hand market but they seem really well designed. Couple of Jongs but sweet looking rigs. Jam packed with features. Curious if the axle can be flipped to jack it up a touch for clearance
    Depending on the brand of torsion axle and how they are mounted to the frame, spacers can be installed to raise the body a couple inches. I recently installed a 7.5cm lift on a trailer with a dexter torflex axle. Much more clearance for the exposed plumbing just back from the wheels, among other advantages.
    Those armadillos do look nice. 12000btu furnace option for that little space would keep it toasty in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Depending on the brand of torsion axle and how they are mounted to the frame, spacers can be installed to raise the body a couple inches. I recently installed a 7.5cm lift on a trailer with a dexter torflex axle. Much more clearance for the exposed plumbing just back from the wheels, among other advantages.
    Those armadillos do look nice. 12000btu furnace option for that little space would keep it toasty in the winter.
    7.5cm would be good. Friends with bolers put the axle under the leafs as opposed to on top and put a little bigger tires as well. I like that undercarriage storage idea but I think I’d want a bit of lift with it for my usage. Be nice to have the deluxe model. $33k though. Not sure how the construction compares to “escape” trailers but they’re also 2 piece fibreglass and a fair bit cheaper . Armadillo looks like they have a few tricks up their sleeve. Really want to drop in the next time I’m driving by their shop

It basically looks like a Scamp except with a more hefty price tag, and a rickety ass table to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    is there any particular reason why more people aren't looking to build out utility trucks?

this thing would be sweet IMO

https://images.craigslist.org/00909_...06_600x450.jpg

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto...558985371.html
    We just launched a video project with pro snowboarder Austin Smith who built out a box truck into a sweet little surf camper rig in Baja:
    I guess we don't have enough posts to embed, but here's the link - https://www.evo.com/discover/surf/baja-box

Quote Originally Posted by evo View Post
    We just launched a video project with pro snowboarder Austin Smith who built out a box truck into a sweet little surf camper rig in Baja:
    I guess we don't have enough posts to embed, but here's the link - https://www.evo.com/discover/surf/baja-box
    Cool. Boxes are nice from a build out perspective.

And welcome to TGR Evo. You've facilitated a lot of gearwhoring on this site.

Alternate subject:
    I got a internet spot I'll be keeping trip reports from small ski areas in next season. http://gemsinavan.com . Idea is to post up beta on weekends spent at small ski areas camping in the van. I'm going to try and find a list of important non-traditional ski vacation metrics to include each time: distance to and quality of free camping, price of a decent beer on the hill, back- and sidecountry accessibility, etc etc. Most trips will the be the better half, our dog and myself. Some solo adventures, and some adventures with other friends. A day or two of inbounds skiing, and a day or two of backcountry skiing/snowshoeing.

Goal #1 is to hit all of the Colorado Gems (https://www.coloradoski.com/store/gems-card-2017-2018). Some of these will be easy overnights that I already know well, some (like Kendall and Hespeus if they can open next year) are longer trips probably with a Silverton day thrown in. The season stretch goal is a week skiing places included on my Loveland season pass in the Montana / Idaho area (Red Lodge Mountain, Bridger, Whitefish, Schweitzer, etc)

Need to work on getting a post format designed, writing an example post from some travels this year, some background on the van and seeing if I can work out a plug-in for CalTopo to share backcountry beta.

Feedback / advice / good ski-trip metrics welcome.
    Last edited by doebedoe; 05-11-2018 at 02:18 PM.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    So, who's done a ghetto enclosed trailer conversion? I have a 16' ramp car hauler trailer with vee nose and side door. It's already wired for power. Has a panel box, some interior and exterior lighting, outlets, etc. I want to throw in a couple windows, maybe a rooftop AC unit, small exterior mounted generator perhaps, and I'll build a platform for a queen bed. Thinking of making one of those funky PVC pipe, low air pressure, solar heated shower deals to put on the roof.

Anyone else hack together one of these non-fancy weekend warrior rigs?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    So, who's done a ghetto enclosed trailer conversion? I have a 16' ramp car hauler trailer with vee nose and side door. It's already wired for power. Has a panel box, some interior and exterior lighting, outlets, etc. I want to throw in a couple windows, maybe a rooftop AC unit, small exterior mounted generator perhaps, and I'll build a platform for a queen bed. Thinking of making one of those funky PVC pipe, low air pressure, solar heated shower deals to put on the roof.

I'm pretty interested in that sort of thing as well. Seems like a box trailer could be built out for a fairly reasonable price, and in a way that'd fit my needs better than most of the existing small campers. In other words, I could build one without wasting a bunch of space on a bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'm pretty interested in that sort of thing as well. Seems like a box trailer could be built out for a fairly reasonable price, and in a way that'd fit my needs better than most of the existing small campers. In other words, I could build one without wasting a bunch of space on a bathroom.

I don't know. I find it kinda nice to have a shower after a day skiing as well as a port-potti.
    http://www.hotjugz.com/ Heat up water on a stove.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    [/B]

I don't know. I find it kinda nice to have a shower after a day skiing as well as a port-potti.
    http://www.hotjugz.com/ Heat up water on a stove.
    Showers are nice. But they also take a lot of water, which in the winter is water that I have to keep from freezing. And I'd rather have the space that's taken up by the shower available for storage / drying of boots, packs, etc. For my normal 2-4 day trip, I can deal with not showering. For longer adventures, I find it's usually not too hard to find a place to shower.

And more to the point, if I'm building out a box trailer, it'll mostly be for spring / summer / fall adventures. It'll fill the spot that's currently occupied by a pop-up camper (which doesn't have a bathroom, and has served us well for ~10 years). I might ski out of the trailer occasionally, but for the most part, that's what the slide in camper is for.

heater condensation

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    I'm a n00b at this, so pardon the question.
    Isn't this a function of proper ventilation?
    Both catalytic and non catalytic unvented heaters (Buddy heater, etc.) release significant amounts of moisture as a byproduct of combustion. Ventilation is crucial for all unvented heaters because they deplete oxygen but that ventilation may not be sufficient to overcome the condensation issue.
    The wood stove option is drier heat as moisture is expelled through the chimney although some source of fresh air is still required.
    The traditional RV furnace uses a fan to intake outside air, burn it in a sealed combustion chamber and expel the exhaust. Interior fresh air is blown over the hot chamber, heated and returned to the interior of the vehicle. This is called a sealed vent system.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post

I think a window AC unit would be cheaper than a rooftop one.

Quote Originally Posted by apex dave View Post
    Both catalytic and non catalytic unvented heaters (Buddy heater, etc.) release significant amounts of moisture as a byproduct of combustion. Ventilation is crucial for all unvented heaters because they deplete oxygen but that ventilation may not be sufficient to overcome the condensation issue.
    The wood stove option is drier heat as moisture is expelled through the chimney although some source of fresh air is still required.
    The traditional RV furnace uses a fan to intake outside air, burn it in a sealed combustion chamber and expel the exhaust. Interior fresh air is blown over the hot chamber, heated and returned to the interior of the vehicle. This is called a sealed vent system.
    cool.

I bet ACH is thrilled someone finally answered his question after 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    cool.

I bet ACH is thrilled someone finally answered his question after 8 years.
    LOL

Sick buump