Page 124 of 187 FirstFirst ... 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,100 of 4653
  1. #3076
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Meiss Meadows
    Posts
    1,078
    In your little rig, for the built in heater get the small fan motor, save your batteries life.
    I made the mistake of getting too much heater. It heated the rig so quickly that it used most power on the purge and cool down cycles. My rig dumps heat fast enough that it cycled on/off in battery killing style.
    The dual speed circuits failed so I got a great deal on its small motor replacement.

    For the catalytic heater, I started too small. It provided base line heat, but the new heater would still run too much. (My puppies may be a bit spoiled, but they don't get cold.)
    When it's pad died after 7 years ($150 plus), I jumped to a wave 6. I run it on low most of the time. I can now leave the door open for a while. The Atwood hardly runs.

    Enjoy.

  2. #3077
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Sölden
    Posts
    374
    https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...349309525.html
    This would be a good start to being a dirtbag. I went and checked it out..drivetrain is solid + 4x4 is good to go but everything else is pretty rough and would need to be replaced if one was to take it on a big adventure.
    The camper is in good original condition but the canvas has a big hole in it in the corner + roof vent area is torn off.

  3. #3078
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,043
    A question: thinking about adding a 2nd battery to the slide in camper. There's a good spot for it inside in a cabinet. Wiring, venting, etc. won't be an issue. But it means one battery will be inside (warmer), while the other battery will be in the exterior battery box (colder). Will that temperature difference between the batteries be a significant problem? I figure they'll kinda equalize since they'll be wired in parallel, but will it hasten the demise of one (or both) of the batteries? Am I just overthinking this?

  4. #3079
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    612
    Lot to learn in a short time....Recently bought a '97 ford EB350 quiggley sportsmobile....Taking a skibatical this Winter from work....The (lack of) plan so far is wife and I starting at Christmas in Crested Butte and going from there...eventually heading to BC/powder highway.....
    Rob "Stayalert" M
    Vermont

  5. #3080
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Sölden
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    A question: thinking about adding a 2nd battery to the slide in camper. There's a good spot for it inside in a cabinet. Wiring, venting, etc. won't be an issue. But it means one battery will be inside (warmer), while the other battery will be in the exterior battery box (colder). Will that temperature difference between the batteries be a significant problem? I figure they'll kinda equalize since they'll be wired in parallel, but will it hasten the demise of one (or both) of the batteries? Am I just overthinking this?
    Is it going to be a problem that you will notice? Probably not if you keep a constant cycle/use on the reg. Will the colder battery draw more than the warmer one, you betcha. If it was me, I'd try to find a spot inside the camper and put them both inside just for peace of mind. Then again, I wouldn't sweat it.

  6. #3081
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sandy
    Posts
    876
    Quote Originally Posted by stayalert View Post
    Lot to learn in a short time....Recently bought a '97 ford EB350 quiggley sportsmobile....Taking a skibatical this Winter from work....The (lack of) plan so far is wife and I starting at Christmas in Crested Butte and going from there...eventually heading to BC/powder highway.....
    You know how it works...pics or it didn't happen. Is it a 7.3? I want a 7.3 van in a bad way.

  7. #3082
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    In your little rig, for the built in heater get the small fan motor, save your batteries life.
    I made the mistake of getting too much heater. It heated the rig so quickly that it used most power on the purge and cool down cycles. My rig dumps heat fast enough that it cycled on/off in battery killing style.
    The dual speed circuits failed so I got a great deal on its small motor replacement.

    For the catalytic heater, I started too small. It provided base line heat, but the new heater would still run too much. (My puppies may be a bit spoiled, but they don't get cold.)
    When it's pad died after 7 years ($150 plus), I jumped to a wave 6. I run it on low most of the time. I can now leave the door open for a while. The Atwood hardly runs.

    Enjoy.
    Thanks for the input on heaters! The shot of your rig covered is 100% RAD. The definition of living the dream!

  8. #3083
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    1,837
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    A question: thinking about adding a 2nd battery to the slide in camper. There's a good spot for it inside in a cabinet. Wiring, venting, etc. won't be an issue. But it means one battery will be inside (warmer), while the other battery will be in the exterior battery box (colder). Will that temperature difference between the batteries be a significant problem? I figure they'll kinda equalize since they'll be wired in parallel, but will it hasten the demise of one (or both) of the batteries? Am I just overthinking this?
    in theory, yes, the cold one will drag down the warm one, but you'll still increase your AH.

    I might consider putting the new one in the cold and the old one inside, maybe it'll even out their relative capacity. /overthinking

  9. #3084
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    Is it going to be a problem that you will notice? Probably not if you keep a constant cycle/use on the reg. Will the colder battery draw more than the warmer one, you betcha. If it was me, I'd try to find a spot inside the camper and put them both inside just for peace of mind. Then again, I wouldn't sweat it.
    Right on. I'll have to see if I have enough room to fit two inside.

    Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    I might consider putting the new one in the cold and the old one inside, maybe it'll even out their relative capacity. /overthinking
    Hmm, that's a good thought.

  10. #3085
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    612
    here's a pic....Its a v-10 gasser & uses every bit of its 55 gallon capacity....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0019.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	481.3 KB 
ID:	214182  
    Rob "Stayalert" M
    Vermont

  11. #3086
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Sölden
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by stayalert View Post
    here's a pic....Its a v-10 gasser & uses every bit of its 55 gallon capacity....
    I was just looking at a 7.4l Chevy with a camper. All I could think of was that I will never miss a gas station, with camper loaded down, in the mountains, pulling a sled trailer..I was looking at legitimately 5-8 mpg.

  12. #3087
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sandy
    Posts
    876
    ^nice. Plus side to the V10 is you don't have to deal with a 7.3 in the cold. A V10 will always start with one good battery no matter how cold it is.

  13. #3088
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sparwood BC
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    ^nice. Plus side to the V10 is you don't have to deal with a 7.3 in the cold. A V10 will always start with one good battery no matter how cold it is.
    Another vote for the V10. Lots of power and very smooth. Only downside is the aluminum heads and replacing the stupid two piece Ford spark plugs at 100,000 km especially with the E body (van) access issues. I just paid the Ford dealer to do it so if they screw up it's on them.

  14. #3089
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    590
    Toasty is the goal.

  15. #3090
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    1,837
    Quote Originally Posted by stayalert View Post
    here's a pic....Its a v-10 gasser & uses every bit of its 55 gallon capacity....
    rad

  16. #3091
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sparwood BC
    Posts
    255
    There seems to be confusion regarding RV heaters. Here is the correct info to understand the different options.
    1) A 'real' RV (not homemade) will usually come with a real RV furnace that draws air from the outside, combines it with propane to burn in a combustion chamber and expels the exhaust to the outside. A fan blows over the hot combustion chamber, heating the fresh interior air and directs it to vents inside the RV. This system requires electricity for the fan and propane. No combustion byproducts enter the RV and no condensation is produced inside the RV.
    2) Catalytic heaters burn propane and interior RV air over a catalytic grid/screen. These heaters consume interior oxygen and generate moisture as a byproduct of combustion but the catalyst prevents the production of deadly carbon monoxide. No electrical power is required.
    3) Non catalytic propane heaters consume interior oxygen and produce moisture but more importantly their carbon monoxide will kill you.

  17. #3092
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Eburg
    Posts
    13,381
    In RV nomenclature, 1) is a furnace, 2) and 3) are heaters
    Last edited by DIYSteve; 10-22-2017 at 12:14 AM.

  18. #3093
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sun Peaks Resort
    Posts
    413
    Here is a catalytic heater that is vented to the outside but unlike a RV furnace the heat is not fan forced, so heat distribution and output is limited.
    http://www.ventedcatheater.com/6.html

    Among the RV furnaces available for small RVs there are some that have a less powerful fan than draws less DC current and thus put out less BTUs.

  19. #3094
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    4,837
    Replacing the floor in my Northern Lite. Shit's been stewing for a while.







    PE, Mechanical Engineering
    University of Bridger Bowl Alumnus
    Alpental Creeper

  20. #3095
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Exiled from Maine
    Posts
    197

  21. #3096
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    612
    Sweet! Does Yakima or Thule make a fit kit for a 1990 Toyota Crown Hearse Sedan????
    Rob "Stayalert" M
    Vermont

  22. #3097
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    125
    Another trip in the TC I thought some of you might appreciate. Check it!

  23. #3098
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    14
    So many fun things to do in that canyon! Great off shoots to explore.

  24. #3099
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Summit North
    Posts
    5,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparwood Dave View Post
    1) A 'real' RV (not homemade) will usually come with a real RV furnace that draws air from the outside, combines it with propane to burn in a combustion chamber and expels the exhaust to the outside. A fan blows over the hot combustion chamber, heating the fresh interior air and directs it to vents inside the RV. This system requires electricity for the fan and propane. No combustion byproducts enter the RV and no condensation is produced inside the RV.
    I have seen several baller (home) builds that have utilized both furnaces (forced air) and boilers (hydronic).
    These are not always propane however, some run on diesel.

    Webasto and Espar brand units have a great reputation and are also used in commercial trucks, and ocean class marine applications.
    Alpental Indigenous

  25. #3100
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by stayalert View Post
    Lot to learn in a short time....Recently bought a '97 ford EB350 quiggley sportsmobile....Taking a skibatical this Winter from work....The (lack of) plan so far is wife and I starting at Christmas in Crested Butte and going from there...eventually heading to BC/powder highway.....
    We'll be doing similar in our Chinook RV driving west from VA then skiing every day on MaxPass. Our penciled in plan is, starting CB or Monarch Jan 4, will be at Abasin tailgating Jan6 , I fly east Jan 10 from DEN. My son continues thru UT, WY and meets me in Kalispell Jan31. We plan Whitefish, Fernie, Kicking Horse, Whitewater, Schweitzer, Big Sky, and Bridger. Drive back Feb 9-10. Of course, conditions rule and we will storm chase. If you are around or anyone, lets hookup at ABasin or north...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •