Page 112 of 508 FirstFirst ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 12697
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    Pretty sure it says text for interior pics.
    Actually he says very Emphatically "NO TEXTS, REPEAT, I DO NOT TEXT, CALLS ONLY", LOL!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    Looks great. Have you taken it out for a spin yet? Tell us how well it works.
    est. 500 miles with it, mostly highway. Seems to have eliminated the herky jerky buffeting that sometimes results from the wind between the cab and the cabover. Dunno whether it helps MPG because it's a new truck without a history of MPG tracking, but I can't imagine it hurts.
    Last edited by DIYSteve; 03-19-2017 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kailua_Boys View Post
    What is the framing of the bed made out of?
    It is called 80/20. https://8020.net/

Quote Originally Posted by -Devin- View Post
    It is called 80/20. https://8020.net/
    Kailua_Boys, 8020 stuff is awesome, but it helps to source as much as possible from ebay. It gets $$$$ pretty quickly. You can find used extrusions pretty cheap. The fasteners and connection plates start to add up though.

Lotta miles for $10k. But damn, that's the right setup for getting it done.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Lotta miles for $10k. But damn, that's the right setup for getting it done.
    Yeah it looks cherry too, but wow $10k seems optimistic. Not much special on the interior. Nicely finished, but really it's carpet and a semi well thought out sleeping platform. Maybe $7500

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Body lift for the fail. Nothing gained by raising the center of gravity while adding zero clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Yeah it looks cherry too, but wow $10k seems optimistic. Not much special on the interior. Nicely finished, but really it's carpet and a semi well thought out sleeping platform. Maybe $7500
    Some Front Range Fun Boy will probably buy it to say he has a camper van. Doesn't change the fact that its a $3K van plus a weekend of B- carpentry work.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Some Front Range Fun Boy will probably buy it to say he has a camper van.
    You know vans have really turned a corner when the narrative becomes "something the Front Range poseurs will buy to look cool" rather than "something Uncle Rico's been using to commit crimes." This is an excellent development.

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    Body lift for the fail. Nothing gained by raising the center of gravity while adding zero clearance.

Yeah posted for teh lulz. Doesn't change the clearance of the axles, but I guess it does get the oil pan and gas tank up higher.

And I didn't notice but I caught a custom license plate and the car too, cross post....

Right? Used to only be axe murderers, contractors and dirtbikers than drove cargo vans. Now it's every man bun skinny jean "Mountain Wanker" lumber sexual. I'm sure the beach at the Basin will look like something out of Expo Portal this spring. Everything is so "Colorado-y" these days. Good thing they need contracting done and I've got my hide outs.

You sure that's a body lift on that van? If so, they raised the bumper too -- which usually isn't done by the people who go with body lifts instead of spring lifts just for "the look."

FWIW, body lift doesn't raise center of gravity as much as suspension lift, and it does provide more clearance for larger tires. IMHO a small body lift (1") plus a small spring lift (2") can be as useful, if not more, than a medium spring lift (3") alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Looks like a SOA lift with some blocks. Cheap shit there. Good for the lulz though!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Spotted!

That's definitely a block lift under the rear leaf springs of the van. Not sure what is upfront but it looks like a sas type of van.

The whole #vanlife thing has gone full hipster. Before the only people who drove vans were surf bums who lived in them, teens driving the old family minivan, and dudes who had too many kids to haul around. The trustafarians wouldn't be caught dead in anything that resembled a van.

What's funny is most of the van buyers I come across couldn't change their oil if their life depended on it and have probably never ventured further than a forest service camp ground. Owning a van is all about the Instagram likes and cool hash tags.

Hmmmm..... Ok so suspension block lifts suck but this aint a body lift and suspension blocks do add more than "zero" clearance.

Not a body lift, suspension block lift (lift springs+over axle if not like that already plus block between spring and axle).

Body lift does add zero clearance until you account for the increase in tire diameter, then overall, owner adds 1/2 tire diameter in clearance.

Suspension lifts provide higher breakover and entry+exit without any increase in tire size, but also, you can add bigger tires. Body lift may increase but probably wont until larger tires are added.

The pumpkin clearance is higher by 1/2 of increased tire diameter. There is no way around the fact that on a solid axle vehicle, the pumpkin will always only be raised by 1/2 of the increased tire diameter until you get into axle swaps, which usually decrease clearance somewhat due to heavier running gear. Going H1 (or, M151) style is costly and very complex. The key is the entry+exit and the breakover, not so much how much clearance you can get under the diff but by going from 28" to 38" dia. tires (which I think those are) has added 5" of clearance compared to stock under the diff. Hardly zero.

Suspension block lifts [supposedly] suck (tall ones, anyway) because of the torque the block applies to the spring. Results in twisting and possible handling/safety concerns compared to custom springs with the appropriate arc. Then again, people use 4" rear block lifts without complaint. It seems to me to be common on pickups that probably never have a load in them that approaches the rating. Effect is obviously exaggerated as the block lengthens. This is especially true for front leaf springs. Conciser vehicles like the pre-87 chevy trucks. I cringe when I see the front springs on those trucks on 4" blocks.

Agree with Cruiser. Cheap shit. If it aint worth doing right....
    Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 03-23-2017 at 01:48 PM.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Blocks to lift the rear of a leaf-sprung vehicle work OK, if kept small (say, 1" block), or if on a pickup truck with stiff suspension (like 3/4 or 1 ton trucks, not Tacomas or Frontiers). Tall blocks (3") are a bad idea on something with soft leaf springs (like a springover YJ Wrangler), because they tend to increase axle wrap -- use an appropriate spring pack instead.

Whenever used, a lift block should be bolted through the center pin hole on the leaf springs. And never ever use lift blocks on front suspension. Only use steel blocks, not aluminum.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

yea, not a body lift which has been pointed out… huge lift blocks on top of that axle, look like 6-8"

not familiar with the front suspension setup on those but I'd be willing to bet it's coil spacers. nice shaft angle too, doubt any money has been put into there either.

while headed through the wormhole,

Hey MK,

Check out this set of options from the Great White North: http://overlandex.com/ (lite industries guys from AB)

Not priced in the GXV stratosphere, unless you want to, and no pop-up tent sides to mess with, and no wood.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    Spotted!
    I can run but I can't hide

Can someone please explain to me what the point of all these rooftop tents that are popping up (pun intended)? Costing > 1000$ and in my mind I don't see the advantage of being suspended over the bed of a truck vs sleeping on the ground. Hell, I'd think the ground would be more insulated than up in the air. Plus you can't stealth camp with these... or walk in and out of the tent without going up a ladder.

I suppose it's a bit faster to setup and take down but I never found that a huge issue with a regular tent.

Because being on a safari is cool