Page 98 of 185 FirstFirst ... 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 4610
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Trackhead was doing that plan for a bit. Is that who you're thinking of?
    Yup that's who it was.
    Here's a pic of my new setup. 1979 Avion 28' we just picked up behind my 97 7.3 (have had the truck for a while)

She spent 20 years or so in a barn and is in very good condition inside. Wife is doing a light remodel, mostly painting and updating appearance stuff, and we will rework the rear twin bed setup into a queen with a ton of storage, since we are planning to full time. She dove right in to working on it so we haven't used it at all yet.
    Full timing will start some time next summer if everything works out. I would love to get it out later this fall, but I have a maintenance list to take care of on the tow rig too so we shall see.

Tow rig is nearly as spacious as the trailer! Is that '97 naturally aspirated or one of the early turbo models? Either way, it's hawt!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Tow rig is nearly as spacious as the trailer! Is that '97 naturally aspirated or one of the early turbo models? Either way, it's hawt!
    She's got a turbo, psd with turbo started in 94.5. I love this truck for what I have in it. Unfortunately, its at the shop to get a trans fluid leak addressed today.

I saw a buddy's Provan Tiger XL this weekend, and gawdamn, did I fall in love. Built on the Astro van body.

AWD. Sleeping space for 4. Hard-sided (no pop-top). RV-like amenities without the Class C size. Walk-through to living area.

Is there anything else out there that offers the above combination of features -- that doesn't cost 50K?? (Cabover campers can count - but only if you can actually get from cab to camper without exiting the vehicle.)

Looking for a winter-oriented solution for my wife and twin daughters (3 yo). Oh yeah. Me too.

It looked like this:
    Name:  Eo0euwN.jpg
Views: 2256
Size:  39.4 KB

I'd love a Tiger Bengal but I can't find one used for under 6 figures
    Last edited by simple; 08-16-2016 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    She's got a turbo, psd with turbo started in 94.5. I love this truck for what I have in it. Unfortunately, its at the shop to get a trans fluid leak addressed today.
    Yessir. I had a 94' non-psd 7.3 w/ turbo. I probably should've never sold that thing..or my 91.5' Dodge W250 12 valve. I like the camper, I am torn between buying one and ditching the apartment here soon. As a single guy with literally no belongings besides gear and clothes, I figure I can do it easily with a 20-24' after looking at them..the ones with a big slide-out seem pretty nice.
    Last edited by Tryingtostaywarm; 08-16-2016 at 10:54 PM.

I want that
    skid luxury

I'll read through the threads here over the next few days but anyone have any information on 2002 VW Westfalia's? Specific problems to look for, etc. I've got a few friends that have other vintages. There is one down the street for sale and I talked to the owner today.

It's red so I'm not worried about how fast it'll go.

Wyo mags - are these diamonds in the rough?

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/all...ew?auc=1664517
    http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/all...ew?auc=1665251

Lifted, long bodies, high-ceiling, lifts/parts to sell for $$$. Maybe they're actually in terrible shape, but maybe they're just neglected. Might be worth chasing leads regarding who owned them previously: http://www.wysil.org/meetourstaff/lander-office-staff/ ??

Wow, how about the Zebra Safarimobile?

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5739592128.html

He says it 'needs lots of work' but then proceeds to not disclose what that might be. I thought these platforms were pretty reliable....

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    this thread is awesome. thanks to everyone for their contributions.

I tried an in thread search but came up dry.

Looking for a sleeps 4, seats 4 class B, with wet bath, galley, and winterization, good gas mileage (relative of course).
    Custom options, preferably on a Sprinter 4x4 chassis:
    Thoughts on CO CamperVans? Seems a pop top conversion provides the a really functional sleeping option. I have a request for info in, fingers crossed its even close to an already absurd budget
    Sportsmobile of course... but hoping CO CamperVans may be a bit more creative, flexible. Big plus for going custom: possibility of internal mtn bike storage under rear platform bed
    other custom options I'm missing?

Stock: I think there are two. Roadtrek and Winnie Travato. We did a walk through of a Travato 59G, and were impressed by the functionality, layout. Appears to have the latest efficient touches, good storage, and a nice clean, spartan interior. You would give up 4wd with the promaster chassis but maybe could get by with studded tires on the front axle in the winter months, assuming I could do some basic winterization mods. The water tank is inside but the lines are external. Not sure WTF is up with the stated warranty (12 month?!?). Used Roadtrek Adventurous models can be found but I think the captain's seat sleeping conversions are wonky, probably fine for little tikes but not teens.

Interested to hear thoughts on the above please! thanks in advance.

Yes, all the options above are an absurd amount of $

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
    this thread is awesome. thanks to everyone for their contributions.

I tried an in thread search but came up dry.

Looking for a sleeps 4, seats 4 class B, with wet bath, galley, and winterization, good gas mileage (relative of course).
    Custom options, preferably on a Sprinter 4x4 chassis:
    Thoughts on CO CamperVans? Seems a pop top conversion provides the a really functional sleeping option. I have a request for info in, fingers crossed its even close to an already absurd budget
    Sportsmobile of course... but hoping CO CamperVans may be a bit more creative, flexible. Big plus for going custom: possibility of internal mtn bike storage under rear platform bed
    other custom options I'm missing?

Stock: I think there are two. Roadtrek and Winnie Travato. We did a walk through of a Travato 59G, and were impressed by the functionality, layout. Appears to have the latest efficient touches, good storage, and a nice clean, spartan interior. You would give up 4wd with the promaster chassis but maybe could get by with studded tires on the front axle in the winter months, assuming I could do some basic winterization mods. The water tank is inside but the lines are external. Not sure WTF is up with the stated warranty (12 month?!?). Used Roadtrek Adventurous models can be found but I think the captain's seat sleeping conversions are wonky, probably fine for little tikes but not teens.

Interested to hear thoughts on the above please! thanks in advance.

Yes, all the options above are an absurd amount of $

You can check out this blog for a heavily modified Travatohttp://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/the-...proof-travato/

CO CamperVan has a mixed reputation. There are plenty of threads on Expo and Sportsmobile forum with folks sharing how much they love their CCV top, and a less frequent but still surprising number of threads detailing shoddy craftsmanship and poor customer service. Odds are probably in your favor and if you're local there's less risk involved, but you've been warned. Their top is a unique product, and really your only option if you hope to sleep and seat 4 comfortably. That said, I'd be nervous about a CCV top on a high roof 4x4 sprinter - that's a lot of weight up high on an already tall vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    CO CamperVan has a mixed reputation. There are plenty of threads on Expo and Sportsmobile forum with folks sharing how much they love their CCV top, and a less frequent but still surprising number of threads detailing shoddy craftsmanship and poor customer service. Odds are probably in your favor and if you're local there's less risk involved, but you've been warned. Their top is a unique product, and really your only option if you hope to sleep and seat 4 comfortably. That said, I'd be nervous about a CCV top on a high roof 4x4 sprinter - that's a lot of weight up high on an already tall vehicle.
    Great summary of CCV experiences.

Personally if I needed to sleep/haul a family of 4, a crew cab truck w/ a slide-in makes way more sense and is more budget friendly than a van setup. And this is coming from a dude who loves his van setup.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

^^^good advice here.

Only a concept but at least 1 major mfr sees a potential market in this space:
    http://www.thefitrv.com/rv-reviews/w...nture-vehicle/

Not a perfect layout for 4 but I think you could make it work, even without a poptop.

I had ccv install a poptop on my van, feel free to hit me up if you want some first hand info.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    thanks North, very helpful. Agree it seems I'm looking for a unicorn for 4 adults in this form factor. The Travato comes really close, assuming neither of my current 9 yr old boys break family tradition and actually end up tall.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Great summary of CCV experiences.

Personally if I needed to sleep/haul a family of 4, a crew cab truck w/ a slide-in makes way more sense and is more budget friendly than a van setup. And this is coming from a dude who loves his van setup.
    DobeDoe- I hear you, we are just fixated on trying to get something with a little better gas mileage (you know for when some crazy person gets elected president and gas prices go to $20/gal haha) and only buy one new thing (vs a camper and a truck)

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    You can check out this blog for a heavily modified Travatohttp://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/the-...proof-travato/
    Thanks Todds, had already found that. a GREAT resource in general. I'd like to think I'd be fine with the stock Travato + some tank heating elements and just plan on running the heater a bit more for occasional outings in the ski lot.

Quote Originally Posted by FireStrom View Post
    ^^^good advice here.

Only a concept but at least 1 major mfr sees a potential market in this space:
    http://www.thefitrv.com/rv-reviews/w...nture-vehicle/

Not a perfect layout for 4 but I think you could make it work, even without a poptop.

I had ccv install a poptop on my van, feel free to hit me up if you want some first hand info.
    Thanks FireStorm! If they actually get back to me with a number close to budget I will definitely take you up on that offer! And yes that 4x4 Winny prototype looks sweet.

Someone please explain the cassette toilet thing? I saw that on Hymer's new Aktiv (first product after their acquisition of Roadtrek). Do you basically remove a cartridge, tank full of shit and piss and carry into a public restroom or dump tank and pour it in? That sounds horrible.

That's exactly the deal with cassette toilets, horrible yes, but so is dumping an rv black tank. So-called Composting toilets may be an option too, lively discussion here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ull-time-usage

Cassette toilets are so much better than holding tanks, specially for winter use. When I was a kid and we spend long family vacations on a 25 ft. sailboat, we draw strays to see who had to smuggle the porta potti into the public showers. Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by FireStrom View Post
    That's exactly the deal with cassette toilets, horrible yes, but so is dumping an rv black tank.
    I use the Sewer Solution setup. Installed a sewer inlet next to my garage. Easy tank dumping.

The Winnebago Travato looks remarkably like a Fiat Ducato chassis?

Quote Originally Posted by McDee View Post
    The Winnebago Travato looks remarkably like a Fiat Ducato chassis?
    Yes. I believe it essentially is. I think the most popular commercial vehicle chassis in Europe? As I continue to research, review options against my must have list, I keep coming back to Travato being a possible win, with some minor winterization mods.

I'm thinking I would be fine for winter driving with a set of studs up front (FWD)? can the Collective help me here with opinions. My winter driving expertise is limited to Subarus. A set of spare front wheels/studded tires for the Travato in the winter months would be a heck of a lot cheaper then going the 4x4 Sprinter custom conversion route. thanks.

I'm thinking I would be fine for winter driving with a set of studs up front (FWD)? can the Collective help me here with opinions. ....
    You'll be fine assuming you're not trying to wander up Forest Service roads in the middle of winter. The biggest downside to FWD (compared to RWD, not 4x4) is it is a less ideal design for towing.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    I'll read through the threads here over the next few days but anyone have any information on 2002 VW Westfalia's? Specific problems to look for, etc. I've got a few friends that have other vintages. There is one down the street for sale and I talked to the owner today.

It's red so I'm not worried about how fast it'll go.
    Check TheSamba.com in the Eurovan forum. Plenty to read.

In short, the auto transmission is a known issue. Some fail early (before 100,00 miles). If yours makes it past 100,000, you're probably "off the bathtub failure slope" and good to go for another 50-100,000. Install an auxiliary transmission cooler if it doesn't have one already. Check to see if the engine is throwing any codes relating to the torque converter - that's sometimes a sign of impending failure. Do a trans fluid flush and refill (properly).

It used to be hard to find proper tires for the Eurovans, since they're heavy and nobody makes load-rated (102H and up) tires in 235/60 R16. Nokian started making the entyre 2.0 a year ago, which fits the bill nicely. You can fit 235/65 R16s without fender rub, which opens up a few more options (Kumho, etc.).

The engine and trans are mounted in such a way that doing almost any engine, transmission, or driveline work is going to require a lot of man-hours to get parts out of the way. So if you're going to go in to do something, try to do other things at the same time.

The Westfalia version is the way to go. You get a pop top and a larger downstairs bed. The full EVC has only a full size downstairs bed, whereas the Westy is a queen. The kitchen/furnace stuff is handy, but it's heavy, takes up a lot of space, and can be replaced with a camp stove, bucket, and warmer sleeping bag.

Haven't had a chance to work through all 100 pages of this, but I got another vehicle (Honda pilot) and my buddy suggested I sell my 2001 jeep Cherokee and buy either a trailer or a RV. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of either?