Page 88 of 187 FirstFirst ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 4653
    Quote Originally Posted by nobueno View Post
    Just picked up this 4 month old beaut for half price. Haven't found any major problems yet so I'm stoked.

Nice! Could you post some interior photos when you get a chance? I'd like to see what that's like inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Marin born -> Chico State -> CH -> France -> Truckee
    Hey mags, I just took this stove out of my setup, and installed a recessed SMEV into the countertop.

The Suburban? Wedgewood stove works perfectly and is in great shape. They retail new for around $150, and I am asking for $75 on other sites. My mega low ball mag deal will be $50 +shipping or local pickup.

Cheers~

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3205.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	177608

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	177610

Specs from the manual

Name:	image (47).jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	279.9 KB 
ID:	177609
    http://skivino.com

IG @Jskierpx

"Can switching to Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance?"

"Do people really call 911 thinking they will get seen faster in the ER?"

Marin born -> Chico State -> CH -> France -> Truckee
    And for anyone interested, here is the new to me SMEV recessed dual burner stove. Super stoked to utilize the counter space again!

Name:	IMG_3203.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	951.7 KB 
ID:	177611
    http://skivino.com

IG @Jskierpx

"Can switching to Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance?"

"Do people really call 911 thinking they will get seen faster in the ER?"

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Nice! Could you post some interior photos when you get a chance? I'd like to see what that's like inside.

Tent room was a must for the horses.

BwaaHahahahahaha tent room pic is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by kungpow View Post
    Congrats! Diggin' the storm trooper look. More pics pls
    Thanks -- my buddies have already dubbed it "Storm."

Bootin' up in a van with seat swivels is pretty luxurious....

First day at the Luv

Sleeping setup at the ready. Probably a couple of weeks before I get to spend my first night in the new van.

Quote Originally Posted by nobueno View Post
    Thanks - that looks really nicely laid out.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Hey guys. I finally am posting my 84 four wheel camper fleet build on wander the west. It might be of interest to some of you. Progress is slow but I'm loving the project so far.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/t...t/#entry138380

Might be a cool blank canvas option for anybody in the PNW for a bit of steal.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/ctd/5483942516.html

That thing would be a money pit and a half. It would be easier not to convert to 4x4 in itself but to do a frame swap with a 3/4/1 ton base and extend the frame to fit the body, if a conventional long bed chassis isn't long enough...After thinking some of the commercial 2500/3500/4500 series tow trucks with the extended platform could probably be worked up for this thing. Or just buy a Dodge Serro with a 12/24 valve and call it a day.

Question: What the hell is up with these Westfalia campers and their prices? Can someone enlighten me to why anyone would buy one and not say...any other van and spend a fraction of the cost. I'm assuming at the end of the day it is just a nostalgia thing because it sure isn't room..or reliability..or off-road capability.
    Last edited by Tryingtostaywarm; 03-15-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    That thing would be a money pit and a half. It would be easier not to convert to 4x4 in itself but to do a frame swap with a 3/4/1 ton base and extend the frame to fit the body, if a conventional long bed chassis isn't long enough...After thinking some of the commercial 2500/3500/4500 series tow trucks with the extended platform could probably be worked up for this thing. Or just buy a Dodge Serro with a 12/24 valve and call it a day.

Question: What the hell is up with these Westfalia campers and their prices? Can someone enlighten me to why anyone would buy one and not say...any other van and spend a fraction of the cost. I'm assuming at the end of the day it is just a nostalgia thing because it sure isn't room..or reliability..or off-road capability.
    Nostalgia yes.

But I think you're underselling some of Westie's pros. They have the best interior layout ever designed. One that is mimicked by basically every other van outfitter. They have a huge aftermarket. Commonly available with the pop-top. Although the price seems silly high, hard to find another van with similar camper amenities without investing way more or doing a lot of DIY work. Westies are something you can buy into for <10K and have a camping van with a pop-top, kitchenette, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Nostalgia yes. But I think you're underselling some of Westie's pros..
    Interior layout does look ergonomical. I just see that the ones with the Subu drivetrain swap go for >$15k all day for a 30 year old vehicle. For $15k you could build a new(er)4x4 truck camper or a real sweet Astro AWD w/ pop up if you have the mechnicalabilities. But, like you said, I understand some people don't want to do the DIY portion. Now, I've seen some of those Westfalia that are 4x4 and they look pretty mean after doing some googles.

Interior layout does look ergonomical. I just see that the ones with the Subu drivetrain swap go for >$15k all day for a 30 year old vehicle. For $15k you could build a new(er)4x4 truck camper or a real sweet Astro AWD w/ pop up if you have the mechnicalabilities. But, like you said, I understand some people don't want to do the DIY portion. Now, I've seen some of those Westfalia that are 4x4 and they look pretty mean after doing some googles.
    Yep that's basically what it comes down to. To get interior layout/build quality of the Westie is pricey. Recreating something like it on the Astro platform will run you 3-5K for a decent van to start with, pop top from Colorado Camper Vans is $6800 for just the top/motor/bed. Plus time/expense to transport to CCV and more $$$ for the interior build. You've got a unique machine but not much of an camping-focused aftermarket for Astros compared to Westies. Westie Synchros have a serious cult following. They're one of the few stock 4x4 vans that were available in the US. Some older 4x4 Toyota vans or Mitsu Delicas can be found, or the other option is post-manufacturer 4x4 conversion by quigley, advanced, UJoint etc which will set you back a minimum of 10K for the conversion and have none of the camping amenities.

If you don't need stealth and have a place to store the camper when not in use, a 4x4 truck with a pop-top is certainly an affordable, capable, amenity rich way to go.

If your lust for nostalgia has turned in to a NEED for a Westfalia... VW Westfalia Syncro - $55000 https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/5482406720.html (No affiliation)

"VW Westfalia GL original Syncro, excellent interior/exterior condition. Conversion: Z-Tec motor by Bostig Engineering, professionally installed, less than 10K miles on motor. Garaged, not used as daily driver or in winter. German transaxle, real time 4WD when needed. Many Go Westy additions, ie, 15 in alloy wheels, second battery, stainless steel cooling system, undercoated, SA big brakes, SA grill, Swing away spare tire carrier, propex heater, etc. Will send list and more pics if interested. Please, serious inquiries only.
    Cheers."
    Last edited by mooseknuckles; 03-16-2016 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Edited to add "No affiliation"

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Could be a steal depending on the mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Could be a steal depending on the mileage.
    Could be a knuckle busting project equally. V10

Just needs a tune up and an ignition. I laughed pretty hard at that. Good ole' craiglist

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Could be a knuckle busting project equally. V10
    Just needs a tune up and an ignition. I laughed pretty hard at that. Good ole' craiglist
    "Ran when parked" - my favorite craigslist used car description.

Classic.

I only looked for the mileage and at the pictures. I retract my previous statement.

"Needs some TLC."

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    ........................................Westies are something you can buy into for <10K and have a camping van with a pop-top, kitchenette, etc.
    I think you're pretty far off on your price. Seems to me you're lucky to get a running one with a lot of rust for that. Let alone low milage or not ready for for a new engine. Cool Vans but not built to take abuse, or go uphill. Case in point; I was just at the Hot Tomato in Fruita and a lady was peddling hers. 170K, some rust, running but likely in need of a new engine among other things, $13K.

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    That things worth it for the drivetrain alone. 4X4 conversion runs around $10K. Bet you could buy this and have the drivetrain installed on your Van for 1/2 that price. V10 is pretty reliable but notorious for REALLY abysmal mileage. I have a 1 ton E350 with the 7.3 powerstroke, seriously considering this.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

Saw a Wesfalia Syncro with Subaru 3.0 engine up on Berthoud Pass. Looked nice. Too bad it was on a flatbed tow truck! Ha-ha!

http://www.outsideonline.com/2062756...n=facebookpost
    This is a really cool truck. Now, I think this would be an AWESOME pow chasing mobile if you had a beefer frame for weight purposes, a 4bt or 6bt Cummins and put a hard side camper on it.