Page 81 of 187 FirstFirst ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 4657
  1. #2001
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland by way of Bozeman
    Posts
    2,817
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Chronic, I am getting an "internal server error".
    Worked for me. Check your browser or cookies.

    I know Big Sky allows for overnight parking in their Pony lot. No hook-ups, though.

  2. #2002
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Funny how most of those don't have any real estate interests. Doesn't Mary Jane allow it?

  3. #2003
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    BZN
    Posts
    569
    Targhee is on the list, but their website comes across as a little more summer-oriented for camping in the lot.

    Does anyone have experience with staying up there in the winter? Besides the obvious, of course, that it'll be COLD.

  4. #2004
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    crown of the continent
    Posts
    13,811
    Likely good in the middle lot, below the main lots and above the lowest/employee lot. They may ask you to pay the $20/night fee, or if you move wisely and stay out of the plow's way you may skate on by.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

    Patterson Hood of the DBT's

  5. #2005
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,256
    I've seen overnighter RV's there in my winter visits.

    Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Targhee is on the list, but their website comes across as a little more summer-oriented for camping in the lot.

    Does anyone have experience with staying up there in the winter? Besides the obvious, of course, that it'll be COLD.

  6. #2006
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    41,886
    Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Chronic, I am getting an "internal server error".
    Pretty funny that you mentioned this cuz ACH has a bit of an 'internal server error' too:/) tech support is cutting into the issue as I type.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  7. #2007
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Sölden
    Posts
    375
    The new whip. Will be slumming it around CO resorts/RMNP come soon.

  8. #2008
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,818
    I can't read all 81 pages to see if Lost Trail has been mentioned, but in the past we have talked to owners and got permission to camp in the parking lot. Usually fucking cold though, it was hard to sleep in the back of a pickup.

    Just don't trench out the groomers in the middle of the night with your snowmobile, because when you eventually sober up in the morning you are going to feel like a complete asshole when the owners confront you politely and still let you stay another night.

  9. #2009
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    27
    I hope to see this one out and about this winter!!


    http://rockies.craigslist.org/cto/5316165220.html

  10. #2010
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Meiss Meadows
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtimms View Post
    I hope to see this one out and about this winter!!


    http://rockies.craigslist.org/cto/5316165220.html
    Zero points for stealth.

  11. #2011
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Co
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Zero points for stealth.
    However, 100 points for "WTF?"

  12. #2012
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Kelowna, BC
    Posts
    51
    Do any of you guys use propane heaters? Been sleeping in the back of my trailblazer every now and again for the past couple of seasons, whisky can only get you through so many -20 nights.

    Thinking of picking up a Mr. Heater with a CO shutoff and just running it with the windows cracked.

  13. #2013
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Targhee is on the list, but their website comes across as a little more summer-oriented for camping in the lot.

    Does anyone have experience with staying up there in the winter? Besides the obvious, of course, that it'll be COLD.
    You can stay in their parking lot but i think its $20. Supposed to have a self contained shitter but they didnt ask and we didnt tell.
    Not a bad place to wake up (feb 2015)

    And theres also a great free forest service? or something access rd just below the switchbacks on the access road. seems like fair game

  14. #2014
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Sölden
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by BAWinters View Post
    Do any of you guys use propane heaters? Been sleeping in the back of my trailblazer every now and again for the past couple of seasons, whisky can only get you through so many -20 nights.

    Thinking of picking up a Mr. Heater with a CO shutoff and just running it with the windows cracked.
    The Mr. Heater's are pretty awesome. Those things will get a vehicle/camper shell/camper toasty real quick. Obviously, ventilation is key obviously. Using them for getting to bed then shutting off and first thing in the morning is a huge plus. Go for it.

  15. #2015
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    tashigang
    Posts
    1,579
    I have used the Big Buddy,mostly to dry out shells,in a VW camper.If you have an auxillary battery,a 12v electric blanket is safe and quiet.The front gets damn hot.I would not trust the auto shut off with my life.It is for O2,not CO,so crack the window at least 4in and get a CO alarm

    Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

  16. #2016
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Meiss Meadows
    Posts
    1,083
    I use a catalytic heater 24/7 in my rig when in the mountains (my puppies are Not spoiled...) I have had two occasions where my CO alarm woke me with it's scream. Foul air in the SkiBumMobile. Snow had covered the bathroom exhaust fan cover (this open vent, along with the other non-sealed areas of the rig, is usually plenty of oxygen source).
    Rapid air exchange allowed my brain fuzziness to clear. The headache took a little longer to clear.
    Keeping that vent snow-free is a regular thing now.

    Get an alarm if you use any indoor heater.


    And, Let it Snow!!!

  17. #2017
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Jackson Hole
    Posts
    2,529
    Great Vanagon in the snow pic!

    We've had several different propane heaters in our Westy and never liked any of them. The best was a vintage Coleman catalytic heater, but was too bulky to travel with. It ran great but like propane heating I didn't trust it in such a small area.

    ^^^ A VW friend told me once they are so drafty you can run a propane heater with the windows closed as long as the roof vent is cracked a just little. I never do.

    I've looked several times at the RV furnaces, but that all but eliminates storage under the seat.
    Custom Boots - Hand Tunes - Daily Wax
    Basement of the Hostel, Teton Village




    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

    Mark Twain

  18. #2018
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post
    somebody asked for pics of the porch folded up....
    I'm really digging this setup. Ingenious!

  19. #2019
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    Great Vanagon in the snow pic!

    We've had several different propane heaters in our Westy and never liked any of them. The best was a vintage Coleman catalytic heater, but was too bulky to travel with. It ran great but like propane heating I didn't trust it in such a small area.

    ^^^ A VW friend told me once they are so drafty you can run a propane heater with the windows closed as long as the roof vent is cracked a just little. I never do.

    I've looked several times at the RV furnaces, but that all but eliminates storage under the seat.
    We bit the bullet and bought a propex. Really small footprint size wise. Lots of people hook them up to the factory westy tank, but since our van doesnt have a propane tank, we just ran the copper pipe to a quick connect under the van, and then just hook up at 20# tank when we are ski camping. The heater is pricey ($800) but we were on a 2 week roadtrip and figured the hotel costs would quickly climb over that just in the one trip.





    obviously in progress pics. Fits nicely under the fridge. So nice to wake up cold, flip a switch, roll over in bed and go back to sleep and then wake up half hour later to a toasty van!

  20. #2020
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    tashigang
    Posts
    1,579
    Heater under the fridge is not a great location

    Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

  21. #2021
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by haydukelives View Post
    Heater under the fridge is not a great location
    Its barely even warm like an inch away from it, does a pretty good job of pushing heat out the vent and not radiating up. But yeah there is only so much unused space in a van. gotta compromise somewhere

  22. #2022
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    41,886
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post
    somebody asked for pics of the porch folded up....
    that is a great looking set-up.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  23. #2023
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by rfoubi View Post
    We bit the bullet and bought a propex. Really small footprint size wise. Lots of people hook them up to the factory westy tank, but since our van doesnt have a propane tank, we just ran the copper pipe to a quick connect under the van, and then just hook up at 20# tank when we are ski camping. The heater is pricey ($800) but we were on a 2 week roadtrip and figured the hotel costs would quickly climb over that just in the one trip.

    obviously in progress pics. Fits nicely under the fridge. So nice to wake up cold, flip a switch, roll over in bed and go back to sleep and then wake up half hour later to a toasty van!
    Just a word of advise, Make sure to run your propex at least once a month or more, even in the summer. Having issues with mine in my Syncro, and so far that is the leading problem I've discovered. Otherwise I've enjoyed mine for 5+ years.

  24. #2024
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    905
    I put an 'Atwood 8012 furnace in the van, it's only 12x8", direct vent, and about $350. No venting scares me.

  25. #2025
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    BZN
    Posts
    569
    Quote Originally Posted by rfoubi View Post
    You can stay in their parking lot but i think its $20. Supposed to have a self contained shitter but they didnt ask and we didnt tell.
    Not a bad place to wake up (feb 2015)

    And theres also a great free forest service? or something access rd just below the switchbacks on the access road. seems like fair game
    Well that's just fantastic. Also, great pics. I'd love to wind up parked next to you guys.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •