Page 76 of 187 FirstFirst ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 4658
    Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Good to know. Been looking at horse trailer sliding windows because they're cheaper and always open. Haven't found any dedicated kits yet but I'll try again to track some down and compare prices.
    Try JC Whitney. And Craigslist. There are always RV and camper windows for sale at good prices.

Good to know. Been looking at horse trailer sliding windows because they're cheaper and always open. Haven't found any dedicated kits yet but I'll try again to track some down and compare prices.
    What about a junk yard? Recycle some from an old RV.

Marin born -> Chico State -> CH -> France -> Truckee
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Nice.

I'm looking at the r-pod but those things new are like $18-26k +. Used ones are still in the $13-17k range depending on year.

You pull the scamp with a 4 banger no problem? Any mountain pass driving? I imagine loaded the thing is closer to 1700lbs.

The r-pods are like 2900lbs dry, 3600-3900 loaded. Wondering how a 6 cylinder would do.
    Ya the taco 4cylinder tows it well, can cruise 65-70mph on flats no problem. do some research on these fiberglass trailers and you will see people towing them with sedans haha.. Mountain passes are another story. The taco needs to be in 4th gear without the trailer so with it I'm usually down to 4th if not third. But it's really no biggie, never adds but another 5-10 minutes per hour of driving in the mountains. 6cyl would prob do better too-

The way I see it is you should shoot low with the trailer weight so it'll have the least impact to driving your rig sans trailer...just my .02
    http://skivino.com

IG @Jskierpx

"Can switching to Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance?"

"Do people really call 911 thinking they will get seen faster in the ER?"

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Try JC Whitney. And Craigslist. There are always RV and camper windows for sale at good prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    What about a junk yard? Recycle some from an old RV.
    Thanks guys, good info and ideas!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

Thanks guys, good info and ideas!
    Lifting that and trowing 33s on it will work against you in any kind of storm or snowy travel.

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/5048324701.html

Airstream Van. no affiliation. 2WD but pretty cool

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Pick up a Sprinter and convert it yourself. You can make it exactly what you need it to be. My wife and I are currently converting ours to live in full time the next few years and ski and kayak as much as possible.
    Ours has solar, heat, full kitchen, queen size bed, and room for our two dogs.
    There are tons of ways you can set them up.
    Our sprinter is a 2008 and gets about 26mpg right now. And that's driving in the mtns and town. Expecting 22 at the least once it's fully set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyyee View Post
    Lifting that and trowing 33s on it will work against you in any kind of storm or snowy travel.
    Yeah, like I said, this is going to primarily be a three season camper. I'm after clearance more than anything else. I've decided on a full time limited slip diff for a little more traction. The van has a Dana 60 rear end so differential options are plentyful and cheap. I really just want to get off the beaten path a bit for camping. This thing is a beast! Stoked!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/5048324701.html

Airstream Van. no affiliation. 2WD but pretty cool
    I had a 74 E100 Custom with an 18" Turtle Top. That was straight>tapered sides all the way up and it was quite a challenge to pilot in the wind. It was almost bearable with all of the windows open, it seemed to equalize the pressure somewhat, but depending on the weather you can't always do that (duh.) The vans with that oversized top were worse by a factor of 3! A good crosswind would leave you parked and waiting for it to relax.

Jtlb2013 can you post pics of your conversion. Love seeing pics and making notes. Hoping to do what you're planning on some day soon myself. Good luck

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    thanks again for all of the input and suggestions. I think you've convinced me I may be better off with a towable ultra light trailer. The 16-foot Scamps look to have the right floorplan (1 queen + bunks). Wonder if they have an insulation option like that Canuck Escape....

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
    thanks again for all of the input and suggestions. I think you've convinced me I may be better off with a towable ultra light trailer. The 16-foot Scamps look to have the right floorplan (1 queen + bunks). Wonder if they have an insulation option like that Canuck Escape....
    Doubt it. Go to escape.com and look for used escape wtth extra insulation insulated tanks and double pane windows. We had ours in -23f one night last winter.

Quote Originally Posted by yardsale2 View Post
    Doubt it. Go to escape.com and look for used escape wtth extra insulation insulated tanks and double pane windows. We had ours in -23f one night last winter.
    At -23F did your water system freeze or where you carrying water in jugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
    If you spec a heater right there are lots of peep that camp in the scamps in sub freezing temps. I'm looking at installing a catalytic heater in my scamp 13 to get away from the suburban furnace noise and battery draw.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BUV1RK#Ask

And recent pic from this weeks adventure:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1436538361.578627.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	168178

IG @Jskierpx

I just picked up an $800 '91 Ford Explorer with functioning 4WD...may be living out of it in Idaho this winter if you wanna hook up and shred!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK. View Post
    I just picked up an $800 '91 Ford Explorer with functioning 4WD...may be living out of it in Idaho this winter if you wanna hook up and shred!
    My first car was a 92 Explorer. Put decent tires on it and it crushes in the snow. Fold flat seats sleep well too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Here is the furnace out of my 13' trailer on Craigslist. PM me on here and i'll do a mag discount. Great heater and works, but is overkill for me here in Cali and in a smaller trailer.

http://reno.craigslist.org/rvs/5123681899.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (37).jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	168237

IG @Jskierpx

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    At -23F did your water system freeze or where you carrying water in jugs?
    We carried water for drinking and cooking. Flushed the toilet using "pink stuff". It would have been impossible to dump in those temps as the pink stuff becomes a thick slurry at that temp and won't flow, although the pipes outside the heated space didn't burst. Next winter we are planing a modification to build an insulated fiberglass, hinged cover that will protect the dump valves when not in use. We will drill some holes in the trailer floor and install a fan to direct heat into that space to enable dumpiing in temps hopefully down to the teens.

Quote Originally Posted by yardsale2 View Post
    We carried water for drinking and cooking. Flushed the toilet using "pink stuff". It would have been impossible to dump in those temps as the pink stuff becomes a thick slurry at that temp and won't flow, although the pipes outside the heated space didn't burst. Next winter we are planing a modification to build an insulated fiberglass, hinged cover that will protect the dump valves when not in use. We will drill some holes in the trailer floor and install a fan to direct heat into that space to enable dumpiing in temps hopefully down to the teens.
    Its a lot easier not to dump in your vehicle for starters
    picador

Think I am going to take a look at this thing for a build out for truck camper. Was originally envisioning a Mitsubishi type box truck chassis but intrigued by this van flatbed.

What are thoughts on center of gravity if I mounted it in structural cradle just behind fiberglass cab extension - Just by eye I would have to shave about 30" off back to accommadate the short bed bigfoot camper. TC itself is fairly light at sub 1500 lbs wet. IDK if it would drive like shit with camper looking like it would sit back a bit further?

Plus sides for me would be -
    ability to do a bad ass portal btwn fiberglass cab extension and TC for acces w/o going outside.
    Having a nice storage/kennel/mudroom built in.
    Easier for parts etc - not sure what engine it sports yet but figuring maybe in the 12-15mpg range loaded if it is high 300hp?
    Would also build a pocket in cradle under TC to support slide in ski storage (not that high and wide).
    Most work would be hacking off 2.5 ft with close second being the support frame and cab access, but welding work is relatively free.
    This would be a fair weather rig utilized in late spring/summer, so snow wouldn't mostly come into play. But handling and center of gravity do's and don'ts aren't my thing. Would sacrifice the pocket underneath and sit camper right on existing bed if that made a big difference in how it rode.

Would appreciate any feedback

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/5111786719.html
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by jon gaper View Post
    Easier in any temps. Only peeing allowed in ours. And a shovel or vault toilet for dumping.

Truck camper without the rear hanging down wouldn't require chopping the bed. Then enclose the area under the camper overhead and mount tool boxes under the sides and have tonnes of storage. CG might still be just forward of the rear axle.

I've thought about swapping the pickup bed on my F250 for a flatbed and adding the tool boxes. Would be able to store all kinds of gear and keep skis out of the crew cab.

Quote Originally Posted by jon gaper View Post
    Not sure I can stand 8 weeks without a shit-but it's a thought.

NoPost- cool idea, I've thought of flatbed conversions and I concluded aerodynamics would be the main concern.. Whatever you build needs to be ok with hwy speeds. It can handle the weight, there's plenty of space. All about what you put on that bed. Gl- keep updated if ya grab it
    Success has many fathers, while failure remains an orphan // Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish they are after - HDT

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Truck camper without the rear hanging down wouldn't require chopping the bed. Then enclose the area under the camper overhead and mount tool boxes under the sides and have tonnes of storage. CG might still be just forward of the rear axle.

I've thought about swapping the pickup bed on my F250 for a flatbed and adding the tool boxes. Would be able to store all kinds of gear and keep skis out of the crew cab.
    I was looking at that as well, that option providing a small porch and the additional storage. Would be sweet to build in some aluminum boxes from bed level in that area created by raising. Problem I see is that fucking up CoG worse going up approx 1.5 ft, which is adding a lot of surface area to effect wind loading on hwy transverse to body. With no AC unit I think it would still be sub 12 ft clearance. Gonna look at it tomm and grab measurements to compare with truck bed for height and where it sits front to back relative to back tire.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man