Page 68 of 185 FirstFirst ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 4611
    Battery power is somewhat complicated. Do you plan on charging much that requires a 120v AC plug? That unit only has a 17 amp hours of usable power, which is a lot for small gadgets, but not so much for things that need AC power. You could buy a solar panel, a large deep cycle battery, and some various outlets for about $300 if you wanted to take to time to do it yourself. You could get approx 6 times the usable power that way. You could even hook up a cheapy inverter if you needed it, though I wouldn't use it for any sensitive electronics.

Another option, that I think is super badass is a LiPo battery pack. This has the same amount of usable power (Lead acid batteries can only use 50% of their capacity before you start doing damage to the battery, whereas LiPo batteries can use 100% of their capacity, much like your smartphone can), and this tiny little guy will jump start your car for you. Only downside is there is no AC plug.

The goalzero stuff is a nice package, but they're very pricy for the amount of usable power you get. If your budget is in that $500 range, that opens a whole range of other options.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

www.tonystreks.com

^^^^that thing is awesome - I have heavy ass BD unit with bad battery that just became a dinosaur
    More than 20 times lighter than this pig
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

When the upfront costs on Lithium type batteries drops, it will revolutionize a lot of things. I currently have a 420 pound battery pack I've put together for my bus project. It could be replaced with a single 90 pound Lithium Ion battery, and it will last 10 times as long. It's about $3,400 currently though, which is way out of my budget for now.

www.tonystreks.com

Is this a result of Tesla and the like advancing battery tech with hybrids?
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

I have recently up graded the battery in my truck camper to 2 AGM batteries. They are supposed to take a charge quicker than other batteries and they do not off gas, so no vented battery box is needed. They are pricey so when Cabelas had the $210 Batt on for $160, I bought two.

This actual battery technology isn't all that new, but I'm sure that Tesla will refine it, and they will definitely bring costs down with the size of production they're aiming for.

www.tonystreks.com

Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    This thing is pretty sweet. I have Macbook laptops, which run off an AC charger. I see this unit has adapters for other PC style laptops, but Apple likes to screw us all over...

Even without AC charging I'm still considering one of these for the USB and jumpstart capabilities... Thanks for the heads up! Not to mention, I could always get a 12v to 120v AC car adapter to charge my laptops while driving, etc...
    Last edited by kungpow; 12-24-2014 at 06:20 PM.

I do as well. I picked this guy up. This exact one is for an older 17 inch laptop, but they make one for the newer retina laptops.

http://www.amazon.com/GPK-Systems-Ch...ook+dc+charger

www.tonystreks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    First day of winter, desert style.

Nice looking rig...
    Are you still messing around with tracks these days or did you bail on that?
    Haven't seen any Sammi stoke in a while (maybe I missed it?).
    Alpental Indigenous

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Nice looking rig...
    Are you still messing around with tracks these days or did you bail on that?
    Haven't seen any Sammi stoke in a while (maybe I missed it?).
    Nope.....can't have extra stuff in my life with my current vagabond travelling lifestyle..............

Anyone ever mounted a Yakima/Thule ski box on their camper roof sideways? I figure it'd be easier to open/access from the steps on the back of my FWC that way, as opposed to having to carry a ladder around. Would it work?

Why not?

By increasing surface area transverse to the flow path you would prob quadruple force on the leading two u bolts - some of those boxes are pretty diesel, but the lighter weight ones I would think you would want to at least reinforce the bottom by adding plywood. Adding an additional crossbar wouldn't hurt either. I am going to do a vertical mount w/a thule frontier where my ladder anchors to the rig.

Or listen to this
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Principle_of_Moments

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    By increasing surface area transverse to the flow path you would prob quadruple force on the leading two u bolts
    Good point

Not like it couldn't be remedied - you have wide footprint from racks - good reinforcement at the front anchor points to the roof and front connection of box to rack. I have seen some pretty sleek low pro boxes that are built solid. Mount that pig low maybe just off roof surface

Side profile like that would be good

If you mount a roof box sideways, maybe consider putting a large fairing in front of it to deflect wind over the top. Something homemade -- wider than the ones Thule/Yakima sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by SquamptonBC View Post
    Anyone ever mounted a Yakima/Thule ski box on their camper roof sideways? I figure it'd be easier to open/access from the steps on the back of my FWC that way, as opposed to having to carry a ladder around. Would it work?
    Why not get a Packasport? Opens from the rear.http://www.packasport.com/product/packasport-system-115

Just because I already have a Yakima box on our Suby, I don't really want 2.

You could sell it. I know several people with Packasport boxes and they are way nicer than anything from Thule or Yakima.

This is similar to what I would like 2 build - nice rig but pricey

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/4814846235.html

Quote Originally Posted by SquamptonBC View Post
    Get a Pack-a-Sport box. It opens from the rear.
    It works Great. Stronger than the plastic boxes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1420767167837.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	162452  

I found something like this...
    http://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS-...0783826&sr=1-2
    For getting shit into my roof boxes on the GnaRV. Found a 8.5' that works great for $70.

Posting here to find this thread later

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    This is similar to what I would like 2 build - nice rig but pricey

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/4814846235.html
    that Fuso rig makes more sense than the Unimog rigs that are around. Wonder what the steel doors near the back are? Doesn't really show. Some trucks similar to those come with dual cabs, 7 seats.