Page 65 of 187 FirstFirst ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 4657
    can u smell the weed smoke ?

http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/4730109874.html

FYI: McD's that are open 24 hours will generally tolerate your parking in the lot. Easy access to WiFi and a pooper, but the food, not so much...

Quote Originally Posted by sal the salmon View Post
    I bet it feels like a "different world" in the back of that thing......well built though, 350 with a T700 is a good combo.... since when do hippies like to "eat up Toyotas and Hondas"

If anyone is looking for a propane heater for thier camper, van, truck bed or whatever... I've got three listed here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...36#post4342436 on gear swap. These are leftovers from my hippy shack project and would work well for any dirtbag who wants to camp in a parking lot in sub zero temps.
    Don't ask.... Don't tele

nice Sportsmobile for sale: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/rvs/4742826900.html

Wonder what it would take to make it bullet proof for winter..

In general, are these vans good value? See some of them selling for more than high end Sprinters.

Depends on what you mean by "bulletproof". In general they are not insulated very well coming out of the factory unless you specifically request that upgrade from SMB (tanks, lines ran outside the van body, no real insulation to speak of, multiple unfilled holes in van body). Bulletproof IMO would be a significant effort, but you could definitely do plenty of short winter camping

Yes they do hold their value very well, especially now that ford had discontinued the Econoline. Of course it all depends on what you are looking for. It is the only camper van that can truly wheel off-road (other than the ridiculous Earth-Roamer). The gating factors on this rig would be the 5.4L V8 and the funky 45 layout. The salvage title isn't such a big deal b/c insurance companies don't know how to accurately value these things to begin with b/c of the aftermarket conversion. If you can get beyond the layout and get the engine checked out, this looks like a pretty good deal. Agile Offroad is solid, so the suspension, 4x4, and tranny should be bomber. Bumpers and a generator box are nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Solesides View Post
    nice Sportsmobile for sale: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/rvs/4742826900.html

Wonder what it would take to make it bullet proof for winter..

In general, are these vans good value? See some of them selling for more than high end Sprinters.

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    . It is the only camper van that can truly wheel off-road (other than the ridiculous Earth-Roamer). .
    http://www.tigervehicles.com/
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Interesting. Like a modernized Chinook. But doesn't the dually and the height drastically limit where you can go?

Sportsmobiles are more for serious off-road use than just driving in snow. It's overkill and you will get a much more liveable space with a cheap 4X4 truck and truck camper if all you want to do is camp in parking lots.

I've driven a Tiger and they are nicely made and moderately capable off-road, but they aren't as well setup for winter use than a 4-season truck camper. The tanks are exposed instead of enclosed. It's technically a 4X4 class C. They are also big $.

I have a Chinook for sale in a different thread: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...0-(Bozeman-MT)

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    Sportsmobiles are more for serious off-road use than just driving in snow. It's overkill and you will get a much more liveable space with a cheap 4X4 truck and truck camper if all you want to do is camp in parking lots.

I've driven a Tiger and they are nicely made and moderately capable off-road, but they aren't as well setup for winter use than a 4-season truck camper. The tanks are exposed instead of enclosed. It's technically a 4X4 class C. They are also big $.
    Couldn't disagree more. The Vans kick ass winter camping. I do Colo/Utah/Sierra. The small foot print and bomb proof 4x4 are an added bonus. I did the truck/shell thing and tried the camper but they ( 4x4 + Camper/Lance) just suck balls when you drive long hours in heavy WINDY storms. Sportsmobiles not cheap, don't get me wrong but such a better long term solution than a truck and a camper IMO-

^^ Therein lies the debate... What if the van was not a 4x4, is that a deal breaker? Your experience is that the 4x4 is an "added bonus" but not essential?

I like this one: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/4742784478.html

That v8 might be a bit underpowered for the extended body. We have a v10 and it does pretty good on hills. Had a two wheeled van for many years, never felt very trust worthy in snow. Could be improved with better tires though. I love the 4 wheel security and high clearance.
    Last edited by chiller; 11-04-2014 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    Interesting. Like a modernized Chinook. But doesn't the dually and the height drastically limit where you can go?
    That's the Siberian model, there are others.
    They have been in business for at least 28 years (though ownership has changed once or twice).
    We have a CX (check my other posts in this thread), which is based on a GM 2500 4x4 1 ton chassis (non dually).
    They don't share much in common with the Chinook configuration IMO.
    Height on ours is manageable (though the ski box on top bumps up the clearance height).

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    True for the gray and black water holding tanks but there are ways around that.
    We use ours exclusively as a Winter/Spring rig.
    I picked ours up used for med $.
    Last edited by AlpenChronicHabitual; 11-06-2014 at 03:00 PM.
    Alpental Indigenous

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyyee View Post
    ... such a better long term solution than a truck and a camper IMO-
    As a dedicated camping rig, absolutely.

But the nice thing about having a truck and camper is... you get a pickup truck as part of the deal.

WINNERbago....

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-rv-motorhome/...one/1027260851

Holy shit, that thing is just around the corner from me...
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Walter White's meth lab made it to Alberta

I just came here to say that if you have a slide-in camper that 6.5' or shorter; I want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyyee View Post
    Couldn't disagree more. The Vans kick ass winter camping. I do Colo/Utah/Sierra. The small foot print and bomb proof 4x4 are an added bonus. I did the truck/shell thing and tried the camper but they ( 4x4 + Camper/Lance) just suck balls when you drive long hours in heavy WINDY storms. Sportsmobiles not cheap, don't get me wrong but such a better long term solution than a truck and a camper IMO-
    It depends on what your priorities are I guess.

Sportsmobile plusses include stealth, better gas mileage, a more compact footprint, and WAY better off-road. They also look great.

Truck camper plusses include more interior space, a real bathroom with shower, lots of water and propane storage, a permanent bed, less glass, better heat and sound insulation, etc., etc. Basically the truck camper is more comfortable, but you do pay a price for that comfort in weight and stealth. Lastly, the 4X4 cost is WAY less as a factory option in a truck rather than added later as in the Sportsmobile, giving it better overall value. Also, if I get sick of my truck or camper I can sell each one separately, and if you buy each used, the depreciation advantage is huge over what people are selling lightly used Sportsmobiles for.

Truck campers can be very stable in winds if set up correctly. Mine is.

Bottom line is a Sportsmobile would never work for us with 2 people and 2 dogs, but it sounds like it is working great for you.

Anyone have any good ideas for ski racks on a cabover camper? Id love to not have shit on the roof???

You could mount a rocket box vertically on the back.

Do you have a ladder? I'm planning to modify some Yakima FatCats to attach to my camper's ladder. Will post up pics whenever I get it done.

I have a hitch mounted vertical ski rack for the back of our van. Works well, so long as the vehicle is tall enough to ensure that the tips are out of the wind and so long as the clearance is enough to ensure that the tips are plenty high off the ground. We have an Innova, but I know there are other options. We don't love it, but it works okay. If I was getting a new one, I would make sure that it can hold Telemark and cross country skis easier and I wish that the skis were not mounted perpendicular to wind so it could be used on other smaller vehicles.

Nice PNW project camper - looks like solid build kinda like old school Bigfoot. According to ad it is structural shell, bet it would clean up nice. No real noticeable seams. Says only 3 made -

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/rvs/4750956918.html

Or load up and trailhead ready

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rvs/4750677870.html
    Last edited by NoPostholio; 11-07-2014 at 07:32 PM.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

http://spokane.craigslist.org/snw/4749341887.html

its got a weird prison graffiti vibe to it but that OK by me.