Page 59 of 510 FirstFirst ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    No, that's a neighbor though with a 13' model. I sold my 17' in September. BTW, here is FLTLNDR™ at Teton Pass recently with a full house:Attachment 153401
    Ha, we took a Chinook out West during the winter 2011/12. It was wicked comfortable but not real handy in snow or hills. I recall a terrifying creep down Big Cottonwood pass, 5mph, brakes smoking. The Escape is no where near as comfy but more functional with the Rav4 we are using to tow.

Quote Originally Posted by yardsale2 View Post
    Ha, we took a Chinook out West during the winter 2011/12. It was wicked comfortable but not real handy in snow or hills. I recall a terrifying creep down Big Cottonwood pass, 5mph, brakes smoking. The Escape is no where near as comfy but more functional with the Rav4 we are using to tow.

Your current set up would scare the shit out of me anywhere !! RAV 4 ? gnarly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyyee View Post
    Your current set up would scare the shit out of me anywhere !! RAV 4 ? gnarly.
    We will travel from Vermont to BC with the Rav4 next winter to pick up the Escape Trailer. Is THAT the set up that scares you? Could you say why? RAV4 is a 6 cylinder incidentally.

We will travel from Vermont to BC with the Rav4 next winter to pick up the Escape Trailer. Is THAT the set up that scares you? Could you say why? RAV4 is a 6 cylinder incidentally.
    What's the torque on the Rav4 with a V6? And towing capacity? 2000lbs dry weight is going to mean a bunch more when your gear is in there.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

'91 northern-lite camper for sale. Thinking $3,000.
    9.5' long
    weighs 650 kg dry
    20 gal h2o
    heater
    second heater (wave-3)
    3-way fridge
    2 sets of jacks
    3-burner stovetop
    sink drains outside
    excellent ski rig
    located in Anchorage, AK

Can possibly include the truck as well, 2001 dodge 2500 with 106,000 miles, diesel. $11,000
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camper-1.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	268.4 KB 
ID:	153441  

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    What's the torque on the Rav4 with a V6? And towing capacity? 2000lbs dry weight is going to mean a bunch more when your gear is in there.
    The RAV4 has a 3500 tow capacity with a weight distribution hitch. Lots of folks report they easily tow this 2100lb trailer with the RAV4. Thoughts leaving the trailer heated for 3 days while we ski in the backcountry?

Thoughts leaving the trailer heated for 3 days while we ski in the backcountry?
    With enough propane and a big enough battery bank it would be possible, but I would just drain and refill when you get back. It's not that big of a PITA and you are wasting a shitton of energy. Also, you have to figure if it is snowing, you won't get anything off of your solar setup (if you have one).
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

\

My friend has a rav 4......the thought of spending long hours in that towing a trailer just seems "challenging" the ascending/descending on dry pavement would be exciting, mix in some snow and wind and I would be a little puckered. Hey, I'm no expert. Stoked your getting your travel on, just be safe and look into some braking systems for the trailer -

Cross post to my chinook for sale:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-350-V10-65K-M

I'm going to miss "the beast"

^^^nice rig -
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyyee View Post
    \

My friend has a rav 4......the thought of spending long hours in that towing a trailer just seems "challenging" the ascending/descending on dry pavement would be exciting, mix in some snow and wind and I would be a little puckered. Hey, I'm no expert. Stoked your getting your travel on, just be safe and look into some braking systems for the trailer -
    It is fairly comfortable, however, like FreshPow I will miss my Chinook in that regard. That was like driving while sitting in your Barkalounger! Towing a 17' trailer might be exciting under the right circumstances. Our approach to that is just to wait to cross a pass or drive an access road until conditions improve--we have time. We see ourselves potentially leaving the trailer heated when it would be too far out of our way to travel to a dump station before heading to a trailhead or off to a yurt somewhere. I am reluctantly giving up on the idea of using the fresh water system in the winter in favor of a 6 gal jug we have due to the PITA of draining and then blowing out the fresh water system. I am trying to get a straight answer from the Escape people if the blowing out phase is really necessary.

We pick up the trailer in Chilliwack, BC and are looking at some time at MT. Baker to start. 700 inches a year!

Basecamp

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396117123.846295.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	153483

Anybody know a way to mount a rocket box onto a class c without puncturing the roof membrane? Am I gonna need to have someone fabricate something?

I mounted thule rails on my rig, and sealed it with some 100% silicone.
    Basically the same stuff you would use to calk around a roof vent to keep it from leaking. I went the extra step of running a bead along the entire edge of the tracks as well.

If it's a rubber roof, without an existing RV roof rack, not sure what you could do. Maybe brackets way out near the edge, after the rubber membrane ends?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

New to the thread. I am amazed at the expertise and innovation of folks here. We aren't handy enough to maintain an older set up or build our own, so we are going to purchase one of these.
    http://escapetrailer.com/trailers/the-17-foot-escape/ My question to the group is do any of you folks leave your rigs heated for, say 3-4 days while boondocking? Our vision is to park at a trailhead and head into a yurt or hut for a few days without having to drain the water systems. I think our dual 6v batteries will be ok for that long.
    I don't think you should give up this idea yet. Battery capacity should be fine. Your biggest problem is going to be propane with only 1 20lb tank. Carry a 2nd tank to stay out for a full week. 1 tank should be OK for 3-days away. You could also install a Propex furnace which uses a lot less electricity and propane. It's also quieter. Talk to Escape about that as an option before you pick it up. I don't know anything about the tanks or plumbing in an Escape, but if they are exposed that will of course be a problem. Even if they are not, make sure heat gets to ALL the areas where the plumbing is.

Winterizing is not difficult if you prefer that option. You can carry a small air tank with enough air in it to blow out your lines. Takes about 15-mins. I used to do that with our trailer rather than carry a full compressor. You will need to dump all your water though, so you are essentially done camping after you do that unless you can find a new source. Your holding tanks will be frozen, but that's not a big problem unless they are full.

Towing in the winter is a PIA, but you probably know that already. We saw a Casita parked at Kirkwood this past weekend during a big storm though, so it's doable. Have you considered trading that Rav 4 in for a truck and hauling a truck camper? It's much more confidence inspiring in snow. We sold our trailer and recently switched to a truck camper on an F350 4X4 so we can do the winter camping thing and not be restricted on the days we can move the rig. We picked up a used 2013 Arctic Fox for less than you will be spending on the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Anybody know a way to mount a rocket box onto a class c without puncturing the roof membrane? Am I gonna need to have someone fabricate something?
    With all things roof, eternabond tape is your friend.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    If it's a rubber roof, without an existing RV roof rack, not sure what you could do. Maybe brackets way out near the edge, after the rubber membrane ends?
    The rubber wraps around the edges under the edge seals; there's no extra space. I could mount brackets on the upper edge of the sides, but I'd have to have them made, as nothing I've seen is wide enough. Also, this would interfere with the awning.

I'll look into Eternabond; thanks for the tip postholio!

I'll look into Eternabond; thanks for the tip postholio!
    Ton of good u tube vids...that stuff is so bomber and quickest way to seal anything on rv.

Might have been a good option to stop the veritable waterfall into my camper Saturday night. Luckily I had an empty cooler.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    Ton of good u tube vids...that stuff is so bomber and quickest way to seal anything on rv.
    Trigger pulled...
    That will live in the RV for that "just in case" situation.

Are you just storing skis in the box? If so, would it be possible to mount it off the back (on a ladder?) and then fabricate something within the box to help hold skis vertically?

I'd prefer to put it on the roof for more versatility in non-ski months.

Eternabond repair -
    Had a leak btwn the awning clip and camper body that did some damage to the interior

Using one inch strips of eternabond, I staggered two layers

You literally can't pull that off once it is stuck on a clean surface.

Just finished fixing inside bench

And one more roof repair with tape
    where ladder met roof
    Last edited by NoPostholio; 04-05-2014 at 12:36 PM.

I just sealed a seam with Eternabond; wow, this stuff is pretty cool. Thanks for the tips!