Page 164 of 185 FirstFirst ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 ... LastLast
Results 4,076 to 4,100 of 4607
  1. #4076
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    OOTAH
    Posts
    2,228
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7246.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	255740

    I use this rig year around. Good tires and trailer brakes, with well distributed weight and I have never had an issue even in the worst of conditions.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

  2. #4077
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,668
    With ten tons of road grime coating it.

    My snowmobile trailer gets nasty filthy all winter.

  3. #4078
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    OOTAH
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    With ten tons of road grime coating it.

    My snowmobile trailer gets nasty filthy all winter.
    Yep! It takes a lot washing in the winter time
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

  4. #4079
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnarg View Post
    I have a GX470 (5500 lb capacity) ... I'm pretty good at pulling a trailer, but I've never done it in snow, and I've definitely never done it going downhill leaving places like Baker and Crystal...15-20 ft trailer is looking appealing.
    Really? Because it shouldn't. Dude, you've seen 542. If it doesn't look like a great idea, maybe it isn't? Please, for all of our sakes, leave your Lexus unencumbered. Maybe pick up a modest class-C. Or maybe a beater truck with a camper as you mentioned. Both would take up just as much space whilst immobile, make it to both hills just fine, and neither would subject the rest of us to your towing misadventures. Or how about this: Sell your large SUV and buy something that gets better mileage? Spoiler alert: Your kind of RV life (The non-dirtbag variety, I suspect) is NOT cheap.

    So, to expound on this I went down a rabbit hole, because clearly we've all at least toyed with the idea of mobile ski accommodations in some form.


    Let's assume the following:
    -Since considering Crystal/Baker trips, our friend is a Seattleite
    -120mi to baker, 80 to crystal. Split the difference and say 200mi RT per trip
    -Split time between the two resorts equally.
    -12mpg in any sort of rig short of a diesel sprinter. We'll ignore the gas suck of towing uphill.
    -The Lexus gets 18mpg highway.
    -Periodic missions from PNW to the end of the powder highway in Banff occur 3 times per year and last for a week.
    -Your alternative accommodation during these trips runs $90/night (conservative AF, particularly in places like Banff)
    -You took the plunge and went full dirtbag. Your dirtbag chalet sur roues cost $5k because someone died in it, but unfortunately only free to park at Baker. $40/night at Crystal (bastards), $55/night on the road (using the Revy area as an example) ---
    -In weekend warrior mode, you overnight one night/week in the lot. So, 21 nights on the road, 25 nights at the resorts.
    -Loan at 5%, depreciation 5% for simplicity.
    -RV insurance is 50 bones per month (No idea TBH, I had to guess on this one)


    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gf...9F5al_ZK_hzIZO

    Long story short, you will not save money. But can you put a price on 1st chair because you crashed the lot? Or beer breaks in sumptuous accommodations away from the Rif-raff? If you could, we wouldn't be here, would we...

  5. #4080
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Really? Because it shouldn't. Dude, you've seen 542. If it doesn't look like a great idea, maybe it isn't? Please, for all of our sakes, leave your Lexus unencumbered. Maybe pick up a modest class-C. Or maybe a beater truck with a camper as you mentioned. Both would take up just as much space whilst immobile, make it to both hills just fine, and neither would subject the rest of us to your towing misadventures. Or how about this: Sell your large SUV and buy something that gets better mileage? Spoiler alert: Your kind of RV life (The non-dirtbag variety, I suspect) is NOT cheap.

    So, to expound on this I went down a rabbit hole, because clearly we've all at least toyed with the idea of mobile ski accommodations in some form.


    Let's assume the following:
    -Since considering Crystal/Baker trips, our friend is a Seattleite
    -120mi to baker, 80 to crystal. Split the difference and say 200mi RT per trip
    -Split time between the two resorts equally.
    -12mpg in any sort of rig short of a diesel sprinter. We'll ignore the gas suck of towing uphill.
    -The Lexus gets 18mpg highway.
    -Periodic missions from PNW to the end of the powder highway in Banff occur 3 times per year and last for a week.
    -Your alternative accommodation during these trips runs $90/night (conservative AF, particularly in places like Banff)
    -You took the plunge and went full dirtbag. Your dirtbag chalet sur roues cost $5k because someone died in it, but unfortunately only free to park at Baker. $40/night at Crystal (bastards), $55/night on the road (using the Revy area as an example) ---
    -In weekend warrior mode, you overnight one night/week in the lot. So, 21 nights on the road, 25 nights at the resorts.
    -Loan at 5%, depreciation 5% for simplicity.
    -RV insurance is 50 bones per month (No idea TBH, I had to guess on this one)


    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gf...9F5al_ZK_hzIZO

    Long story short, you will not save money. But can you put a price on 1st chair because you crashed the lot? Or beer breaks in sumptuous accommodations away from the Rif-raff? If you could, we wouldn't be here, would we...
    Damn, thanks for the math! Only place where you're off are that I live in Anacortes (so Baker is my home hill, I'd rarely overnight it), and my girl doesn't do $90 motels! We're in our 40s and like nice shit, what can I say? But yeah my commute to Bham on the daily is 90 miles RT and the Lexus is getting me closer to 16 on the hwy so I think I'm gonna spring for a no frills little car to rack up the miles on. I'm feeling the smart thing is to buy an older 3/4 ton to pull boat and carry truck camper. Difficult choices in life sometimes, I know....

  6. #4081
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnarg View Post
    . I'm feeling the smart thing is to buy an older 3/4 ton to pull boat and carry truck camper. Difficult choices in life sometimes, I know....
    Get a 1 ton. They don't cost much more, and especially on an older model, you'll appreciate the extra payload when you're shopping for a camper.

  7. #4082
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Get a 1 ton. They don't cost much more, and especially on an older model, you'll appreciate the extra payload when you're shopping for a camper.
    True. Not like I'd be DD'ing it either.

  8. #4083
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Word. A small-ish Escape trailer with their winter package plus decent clearance and AT tires would be pretty cool.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38714766144_1c95f85c8e_k.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	594.3 KB 
ID:	255795

    Last year in the Steven's RV lot. Lots of trailers there, and also at Crystal and White Pass. Most are much bigger than our Escape. We drove through a nonstop blizzard from near Ellensburg to Stevens. In my experience the biggest problem is getting through deep snow because there is more drag. I tow with a diesel Chevy Colorado ZR2 with A/T tires now.

  9. #4084
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Couloirfornia
    Posts
    8,717
    A Pilot with cables. I love it!

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

  10. #4085
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Shuswap Highlands
    Posts
    2,153
    Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38714766144_1c95f85c8e_k.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	594.3 KB 
ID:	255795

    Last year in the Steven's RV lot. Lots of trailers there, and also at Crystal and White Pass. Most are much bigger than our Escape. We drove through a nonstop blizzard from near Ellensburg to Stevens. In my experience the biggest problem is getting through deep snow because there is more drag. I tow with a diesel Chevy Colorado ZR2 with A/T tires now.
    I love the locking rear diff when conditions are deep like that. Not like you are breaking any landspeed records anyways. And again, we put the cargo weight above the truck drive axles vs putting the weight in the trailer, to the limits of the axle payload of course (including the tongue weight).

  11. #4086
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,021
    Man... If everyone is pulling trailers up to the mountain, I'm gonna splurge on a slide out, swap in a couch instead of stupid dinette and have epic bootin' up room.

    Used Arctic fox 990... Who's holding?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  12. #4087
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38714766144_1c95f85c8e_k.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	594.3 KB 
ID:	255795

    Last year in the Steven's RV lot. Lots of trailers there, and also at Crystal and White Pass. Most are much bigger than our Escape. We drove through a nonstop blizzard from near Ellensburg to Stevens. In my experience the biggest problem is getting through deep snow because there is more drag. I tow with a diesel Chevy Colorado ZR2 with A/T tires now.
    Nice! Now I'm feeling like a wuss for being hesitant to pull a trailer with my Lexus after seeing the Honda!

  13. #4088
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    ....we put the cargo weight above the truck drive axles...
    Itís not a truck

  14. #4089
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Shuswap Highlands
    Posts
    2,153
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
    Itís not a truck
    Heh.
    Yes, got me there.

  15. #4090
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,469
    Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    trailers, black ice, bald tire tourons, 4x2, cell phone yappers, rolling coffee shop talk fests, Q5 speed freaks, no chain semis, etc etc all lead to boat on side of road....beware, you cant control anyone but yerself....
    All true words, yet the boat was traveling uphill, so likely a one vehicle problem. And they took me out of first chair contention on a nice powderday, troglodytes.

  16. #4091
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,161
    went through the gauntlet a couple weeks ago(cheyenne to rock springs i 80)

    watched full on 18 wheelers jackknifing and a dude flipping a travel trailer across an icy bridge at about 70 mph. fun times.

    cannot overvalue patience and brandy new siped tires.

  17. #4092
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,668
    Such a sketchy route...

  18. #4093
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    back40
    Posts
    588
    Attempted to go the TT route. We knew what we wanted and were upfront with the dealer with our plans to make it a mobile ski lodge. The owner of the dealership would not let us make the purchase. I don’t know how many family’s he allowed to die before ours came in but he did not want our money. When the bomb brakes free you are just along for the ride. Don’t loose traction!

  19. #4094
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bellingham
    Posts
    131
    JimmyCarter:

    I was a MA high school "racer"... Dudes show up for a 200 yard "race" in full gear, getting leg rubdowns in the starting house while half my team was off in the woods getting lit.

    :Priceless

  20. #4095
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb View Post
    Damn that's sweet, but $$$$$

  21. #4096
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bellingham
    Posts
    131
    I've seen lots of discussion of heating options in this thread, but not kerosene. What's the scoop - would something like this work for a van?
    JimmyCarter:

    I was a MA high school "racer"... Dudes show up for a 200 yard "race" in full gear, getting leg rubdowns in the starting house while half my team was off in the woods getting lit.

    :Priceless

  22. #4097
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Udapimp
    Posts
    620
    better off with a little buddy imho
    embrace the gape
    and believe

  23. #4098
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,021
    Narrowed down to the following and will be pulling the trigger this weekend. I'm steering clear of slide-outs for a few reasons--primarily weight/safety. Even with a 1-ton diesel, it's very easy to be overloaded, technically. Any experience with any of these is appreciated.

    Northern Lite 9-6 (Norseman was right)
    Bigfoot 1500 series (similar to above)
    Arctic Fox 865
    Wolf Creek 850 (same as above, but in budget trim)
    Cirrus 920 (a bit fruity, and not sure what the durability would look like long-term)
    Hallmark Cuchara (wish I could find one within 1 day's drive)

  24. #4099
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,242
    I'd pick one of the ones that has a strong roof and minimal top seems...

  25. #4100
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by b0ardski View Post
    better off with a little buddy imho
    Yep. Mine does wonders in my little Astro van. It's a smaller space though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •