Page 131 of 510 FirstFirst ... 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,275 of 12727
    Nice rig

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    That thing is sweet! For a winter rig I think I'd rather have a 460, saves dealing with all the cold weather headaches of the 7.3.
    Californian idiots like me don't know about that shit. Good to know though!

Quote Originally Posted by spnce View Post
    Gotta keep the fuel lines from gelling and the engine block needs to be kept warm.

Nice rig though for sure.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Rad rig, thanks for sharing. Where to next?

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Rad rig, thanks for sharing. Where to next?
    JH tomorrow thru this next storm cycle, montana for the holiday weekend. Sun valley sometime after that. Then we're hoping utah/co stop sucking.

I've got a 460 as well. Happy with it and it doesn't stink and make noise like a diesel

JH tomorrow thru this next storm cycle, montana for the holiday weekend. Sun valley sometime after that. Then we're hoping utah/co stop sucking.
    You already take a lap through Utardland? I swear I saw that rig (or similar) in bcc a while back.

Oh and agreed with the rest that is a sweet whip! Dig the stealth tramp for rooftop access (app emoticons blow!)
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Yea, diesels, especially powerstrokes for some reason, don’t like starting when it’s really cold. Once the fuel gells it can be a serious PITA to get liquified and flowing again. I know a guy who actually let is power stroke idle all night when we had a -20ish cold snap because he needed it for work and it took him half the day to get it started. I was in CB during that and they were closer to -35 at night and below zero for daytime highs. I didn’t have to drive mine (Cummins) during that but was a little worried that I wasn’t gonna get it started if things didn’t start warming back up. Finally warmed up to about 15, it started but sounded like a box of marbles and I thought the engine was gonna jump out of the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Yea, diesels, especially powerstrokes for some reason, don’t like starting when it’s really cold. Once the fuel gells it can be a serious PITA to get liquified and flowing again. I know a guy who actually let is power stroke idle all night when we had a -20ish cold snap because he needed it for work and it took him half the day to get it started. I was in CB during that and they were closer to -35 at night and below zero for daytime highs. I didn’t have to drive mine (Cummins) during that but was a little worried that I wasn’t gonna get it started if things didn’t start warming back up. Finally warmed up to about 15, it started but sounded like a box of marbles and I thought the engine was gonna jump out of the hood.
    Why not use #1 diesel fuel in cold temps like that?

My 1991 Cummins diesel is one of the easiest starting vehicles that I have ever had. I have had some gelling problems with bad fuel but their are anti-gelling products that work as a preventative as well as products that work post gelling. The older diesels like mine get great fuel mileage.

IME Cummins don't have the same cold issues that the 7.3 does, aside from fuel gelling. The 7.3 uses high pressure oil to fire the injectors which can get very thick at low temps. As the injectors wear cold starting also becomes more difficult. I run 5w40 synthetic and my truck will start fine in the teens unplugged, but I generally plug in below 30F or so. Takes forever to get the cab warm too.

With my Cummins, idling it doesn't warm it up, neither does driving down hill and driving on level roads, it takes a while. I also block out 1/2 the grill in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    Why not use #1 diesel fuel in cold temps like that?
    Often difficult to find and even if we could in Co it’s almost never that cold so chances of timing needing to fill up right before the cold snap comes are slim to none. Wouldn’t want to run straight #1 all the time. Never ran #1 or owned a Power Stroke so not sure how much it’d help them but so far in about 10 years of owning my CTD it’s always started (knock on wood) but I also don’t use it for camping on passes all winter. I’ll add some additive if I know it’s going to be really cold and always carry some Power Service 911.

Still not sure I’d choose a diesel for a winter camping rig, especially an older PS. I have thought of ways I could use an aquahot diesel fueled water heater to heat the coolant and plumb it down the fuel line to keep everything nice and warm though. You could also use it for in floor heating in your camper. Maybe one day when I stop dreaming and start building....until them i’ll keep coming here for inspiration.

Since we are speaking of diesel trucks, just read that Ford will be releasing an F-150 diesel with 30+ hwy mpg and 11,400 lb tow rating. Might be the perfect truck for a slide in road trip if you are getting 20mpg with a camper. No idea about cold weather performance though.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/01/...ze-pickup.html

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Since we are speaking of diesel trucks, just read that Ford will be releasing an F-150 diesel with 30+ hwy mpg and 11,400 lb tow rating. Might be the perfect truck for a slide in road trip if you are getting 20mpg with a camper. No idea about cold weather performance though.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/01/...ze-pickup.html
    Seriously doubt it’ll get 20 with a camper. Air resistance is a bitch. Sounds like a nice truck though. I’d love to hook my trailer up to it and see how technology and what’s hopefully a “smart” 10 speed transmission makes up for 20% less torque than my rig. Shame they don’t make these things in 4 door long beds though (I don’t think so anyway), limits the size camper you can put back there.

We may cross paths, I'll be in that zone this weekend through eventually.

Can you use your water in the winter?
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Seriously doubt it’ll get 20 with a camper. Air resistance is a bitch.
    Even if it gets 15 with a camper, thats 60% better than the 9 most gas guys are getting... Plus 30 MPG in a fullsize truck that is actually rated to tow (sorry ecodiesel) is dream territory. My tundra gets 15-16 at 75 unloaded, so 30, or even 25 would be dream land for me. hell even 22 would be incredible.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Seriously doubt it’ll get 20 with a camper. Air resistance is a bitch. Sounds like a nice truck though. I’d love to hook my trailer up to it and see how technology and what’s hopefully a “smart” 10 speed transmission makes up for 20% less torque than my rig. Shame they don’t make these things in 4 door long beds though (I don’t think so anyway), limits the size camper you can put back there.
    My FIL has the Ecoboost V6 and he's getting 15 towing a 28' camper. If it does better than my V8 at 15mpg not towing anything, I'd be happy.

4dr w/ 8.5ft bed is Hudge, not very practical in a F150. You'd be better off in a F250 or F350 just for the added capacity.

I was looking in to putting a heater in my wagon. The EV crowd has done it on bunch of cars. There's Chinese Webasto water/air heaters for about $500.

https://insideevs.com/video-utilizin...n-users-story/

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    We may cross paths, I'll be in that zone this weekend through eventually.

Can you use your water in the winter?
    We’ll be at JHMR on Thursday, probably Targhee on Friday and on the pass or in the park Sat/Sun/Mon.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    4dr w/ 8.5ft bed is Hudge, not very practical in a F150. You'd be better off in a F250 or F350 just for the added capacity.
    In principle not arguing that, but volume doesn’t always = weight and the longer wheel base comes with some handling advantages. I wouldn’t want to daily drive my truck in the city but most days I wouldn’t mind a 10’ bed, especially if I was getting it with a camper in mind. You get used to the size and if you’re getting the diesel you are probably planning on hauling more than a couple mountain bikes.

::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post

Nice!

Still not sure I’d choose a diesel for a winter camping rig, especially an older PS. I have thought of ways I could use an aquahot diesel fueled water heater to heat the coolant and plumb it down the fuel line to keep everything nice and warm though. You could also use it for in floor heating in your camper. Maybe one day when I stop dreaming and start building....until them i’ll keep coming here for inspiration.
    I used to be a huge diesel man...until I moved to Colorado and started winter camping here. I've had Chevy/Ford/Dodge/Toyota Hilux(living in Europe) diesels and my next camper for winter is going to be a 2011+ Ford F-250 with the 6.2 gas. The issues I ran into when camping at 10-12k feet, for 24 hours plus at or around 0-10 degrees isn't worth the gas savings/low end torque for me. I had my 12 valve outside camping for about 24 hours at 0*, with a brand new 1000 cca battery..it took me about 30 minutes of cycling/sputtering like crap before it got normalish. The guy I was with had a GMC 6.0 gasser started right up and was warm within 10 minutes. I was a little jealous to say the least.

If you're tryingtostaywarm, a diesel might not be the best choice for short trips.

That said, modern diesel's do fine in cold weather, the new Super Duty has an available electric aux heater for those long warm-up periods.

Also, the problem on that F150 diesel will not be mileage with a camper, it'll be payload. The running gear won't magically allow it to handle a 2k lb+ hardside.