Page 39 of 510 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
    We have an E350 that will be pressed into ski camping duty a few times this winter. Any suggestions on heaters that won't kill us and cost less than a pair of skis?

Quote Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
    We have an E350 that will be pressed into ski camping duty a few times this winter. Any suggestions on heaters that won't kill us and cost less than a pair of skis?
    Most catalytic heaters will kill you if close the windows. Most built in propane furnaces will kill your battery. Google Platinum Catalytic heaters and you will find one that needs to built in because it has its own vent to the outside but very low battery draw. Not as many BTUs as the full on furnace but should be ok in a van with a good sleeping bag.

You might need to compare the Platinum Cat to an expensive ski because they are kinda pricey.

What I've always done (if venting isn't an option) is to use a catalytic heater and have a carbon monoxide detector nearby. I just make sure to switch it off before bed and have a cozy sleeping bag. Around 6am, I would roll over and turn the heater back on.

The carbon monoxide detector went off once. I opened the doors, aired it out, and was fine.

These look pretty good, and they are not as expensive as I thought they would be at all. Thanks for the suggestion!
    http://www.ventedcatheater.com/2.html

A warm sleeping bag, reflectex, booze and a good woman.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

walmart sells those tent safe catalytic propane heaters, they work good and seem to be safe, the stock legs or props suck though.
    |-------------------|----3333-------------|------------------|--------------------|3333
    |-------------------|-------------0---0-|--------1111--------|--------------------
    |-------------------|-----------0--2---|-0--------------------020----0--------
    |----------------0-|-------------------|-----2--2222-0h2-----02------20--
    |-2----2---3------|----2222--------------|--3333--------|------------------|2222
    |-------------------|----3333-------------|---------------------------------------|3333-

Looking at parking a 5ht wheel trailer in West Yellowstone for a few months, any tips on where to pull this off up there?

I just bought a pop top camper for my truck and it came with a new Olympian Wave Catalytic heater.http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...y-heaters/1630
    Does anyone have any experience with these units?
    Danadog

Quote Originally Posted by danadog View Post
    I just bought a pop top camper for my truck and it came with a new Olympian Wave Catalytic heater.http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...y-heaters/1630
    Danadog
    Crack a window and a roof vent. Turn it off when you go to sleep and back on in the morning. Seems easy enough to me.
    All of the catalytic heaters operate the same, the only variable is the shape. How you use them is the same regardless of brand or size.
    Man, It was great...

Danadog
    I have the same one in my truck camper. Its a great option for a TC. No draw on the battery and just sips propane. BUT...they are almost useless at alttitude. I froze my ass off sleeping at any of the major passes out west and high towns like Silverton etc.
    Bought a Mr Buddy heater to supplement. More dangerous but I use it to heat the space up quick. Buy a couple of CO alarms too.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffhucker View Post
    Looking at parking a 5ht wheel trailer in West Yellowstone for a few months, any tips on where to pull this off up there?
    there are plenty of trailheads and pull outs, but i imagine DOT doesnt like people campin out when they try to plow. if you dont want to go up as far as big sky, maybe look at something near Raynold's pass/ closer to the ID border. Also, buy a Delorme gazeteer of MT

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    I have the same one in my truck camper. Its a great option for a TC. No draw on the battery and just sips propane. BUT...they are almost useless at alttitude. I froze my ass off sleeping at any of the major passes out west and high towns like Silverton etc.
    Bought a Mr Buddy heater to supplement. More dangerous but I use it to heat the space up quick. Buy a couple of CO alarms too.
    I have had the opposite experience but keep in mind my camping has been at Tahoe which is warmer than Silverton. My catalytic keeps our pop up at about 61 or 62 ( high teens out side). My catalytic is portable so i aim it at the bed. Catalytics are radiant so it is important to aim it at what you want to warm. Also, i use some home made curtain as extra insulation around the pop up canvas and use a ton of reflectex on all windows, under the beds, on any exterior walls I can easily access. Finally, I have a small d-cell battery fan I use to help move the heat around.

Be careful, it is adicting!
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

Quote Originally Posted by CleanSnipe View Post
    I've been drooling over this post. Some pretty rad trailers.
    http://radass.com/2012/08/16/lets-go-camping-47-pics/
    This is dangerous. I built myself a teardrop trailer last year, and I can't tell you how many hours I wasted looking at photos like these.

Quote Originally Posted by kona12 View Post
    I have had the opposite experience but keep in mind my camping has been at Tahoe which is warmer than Silverton. My catalytic keeps our pop up at about 61 or 62 ( high teens out side). My catalytic is portable so i aim it at the bed. Catalytics are radiant so it is important to aim it at what you want to warm. Also, i use some home made curtain as extra insulation around the pop up canvas and use a ton of reflectex on all windows, under the beds, on any exterior walls I can easily access. Finally, I have a small d-cell battery fan I use to help move the heat around.

Be careful, it is adicting!
    Thanks Guys for the input. Silverton is on my list of trips and I was planning on sleepin the rig.

Burly Van

Wish I had the cash... being sold by a mag?

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/20550
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Wish I had the cash... being sold by a mag?

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/20550
    man that is so close to what mine looks like. just gotta finish the 4x4 conversion next summer
    "make it snow you fuck"
    -Mikee, every single morning

Looking for half a pair of 188 tahoes

FLTLNDR™ 2000 Chinook Concourse

Up until now I have been space-challenged in my Chinook but a sweep of Bozeman proved fruitful: two Thule boxes, a Yakima bike mount, Thule bars and feet (from four different sources) - all on the roof for $480.
    If you have not been you've got to go: Second Wind Sports

^^^ drool ...
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Aw yeah! Get em out, snow's starting to fly!
    I eat, I sleep, I ski.

Girlfriend just picked this one up for $275 put about $400 in it so far it's ready. We went Mr Heater Buddy. Let you know soon how it works at elevation.

Misty water coloured memories.

Spent a Summer, Fall and most of a winter living in one just like that in Mackenzie BC (mine had wings- 1960's Shasta). It was was a piece of crap to pull but was cozy and warm. 8-track, shag carpet and a kick ass heater- man I loved that thing.

When I finished up my contract in February it was buried to the roof and I had to wait until spring to go back and retrieve it.

Canned Ham
    Almost as good as bacon?

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    Girlfriend just picked this one up for $275 put about $400 in it so far it's ready. We went Mr Heater Buddy. Let you know soon how it works at elevation.
    Bargain. Don't have to stay many nights in this to make it worth it. Gas... that's another issue.

sleeping in your car is fun! i did it all summer for like 4 months to save a solid amount of money... as well as freedom! got a 83 subaru fixed er up... took the seats out, put in a little wooden bed platform for more cmofrt and some more storage.think i got it dialed so if theres any other bum without proper RV status just use your car!.. few tips for the fellow car dweller. i went to walmart and got cheap window tint, silver thing for the window, velcro, and few other things.. found a futon pad to sleep on (key!) used a few old sheets, cut em up to fit over the windows and used velcro to make em tight and removable.. no one can see in! ad it helps with heat loss, def used a few candles if i got chilly but other wise found it to be fine. 2 bags of cloths storage 1 dirty 1 clean helps. keep food organized... i even had room for my guitar and camera stuff! just keep it simple..

or you could man up and get one of these!!

(which is my other whip, but currently in CO with my buddy)
    runs SVO with dual lines for diesel and SVO, 200 wt solar on roof with 2 rv batts. new lights, heating, speakers and well pretty much everything else, bunk beds, kitchen.. even have a metal fire pit we can lower to the ground from the roof!... oh and i lived in it for a month driving across the states, drove over 3,500 miles and only spent about $200 bucks on fuel! now thats real freedom!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subaru 1.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	124015   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bus 1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	124028  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0152.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	124039

I'm getting the itch again. This was last december at Wolf Creek.