Page 290 of 291 FirstFirst ... 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 LastLast
Results 7,226 to 7,250 of 7263
  1. #7226
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,940
    Apologies for a topic likely covered and not exactly RV - but your collective knowledge assures me I will get an answer with little debate.
    Helping line my FIL up with the best chains for his Promaster fwd considerations to quick/ease of install and performance over price please. Hes in his 60s and previously sustained a lifelong injury due to being in the cold installing chainsaw, leaving him with a limp.

  2. #7227
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    13,269
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Lol @ the trophy truck BS in the copy.
    The snorkel is my favorite part. As if anyone will ever drive it through water deep enough to require a snokel, or that the electronics wouldn't fry if you actually did.

  3. #7228
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Apologies for a topic likely covered and not exactly RV - but your collective knowledge assures me I will get an answer with little debate.
    Helping line my FIL up with the best chains for his Promaster fwd considerations to quick/ease of install and performance over price please. Hes in his 60s and previously sustained a lifelong injury due to being in the cold installing chainsaw, leaving him with a limp.
    I have a set of these self tensioning Koenig/Thule for my van. Only have used them a couple times but really easy on/off. Just make sure the size is right. I had to go up one to fit on the snow tires.

    https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains...SABEgI-EvD_BwE

  4. #7229
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    7B Selkirks USA
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Apologies for a topic likely covered and not exactly RV - but your collective knowledge assures me I will get an answer with little debate.
    Helping line my FIL up with the best chains for his Promaster fwd considerations to quick/ease of install and performance over price please. He’s in his 60s and previously sustained a lifelong injury due to being in the cold installing chainsaw, leaving him with a limp.
    I was told Les Schwab has chains that are easy on/off and will do the trick for the Promaster. Haven't picked ours up yet.

  5. #7230
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,633
    I went so many rounds on the Toyota +camper thing. Lance 650 seemed just a bit too heavy. Didn't want a pop-up. I was imminently ready to purchase a Capri out of texas, and for anyone who will not consider another vehicle or who can't find an older NL or bigfoot, I'd definitely give them a look.

    Ultimately bit the bullet and upgraded to a one ton. "No regerts" other than letting myself get talked out of a dually.

  6. #7231
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    423
    With the Tahoe region in CA open again Alpine and Squaw are pretty much my only two options for a little adventure van getaway (Ikon Pass.) It's been years since I went to Squaw, and I'm wondering how easy it is these days to park in a spot that's accessible for dog check-ins throughout the day. From the looks of the maps it would seem the closest you can park to a run/lift is in the southeast corner of the lot near the Red Wolf Lodge. Am I on the right track?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 3.38.44 PM.png 
Views:	194 
Size:	999.8 KB 
ID:	357747

  7. #7232
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    2,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The snorkel is my favorite part. As if anyone will ever drive it through water deep enough to require a snokel, or that the electronics wouldn't fry if you actually did.
    The broverlanders tell me that it's to reduce dust in the intake as well as fording. not that hard to carry a spare air filter or change it after the trip.

    There's just NO WAY that RV can deal with a dusty, rutted track and whoops like a trophy truck, sorry just no.

    An acquaintance of mine is building these desert rigs that maybe kinda sorta could be loosely compared to driving a trophy truck, certainly closer than anything carrying a 2000lb fiberglass box with a cabover. Sorry, no snorkel. https://www.instagram.com/bionicoffroad/?hl=en
    Last edited by jackattack; 01-13-2021 at 06:41 PM.

  8. #7233
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,940
    Quote Originally Posted by jpcmoriarty View Post
    I have a set of these self tensioning Koenig/Thule for my van. Only have used them a couple times but really easy on/off. Just make sure the size is right. I had to go up one to fit on the snow tires.

    https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains...SABEgI-EvD_BwE
    Thanks

  9. #7234
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    With the Tahoe region in CA open again Alpine and Squaw are pretty much my only two options for a little adventure van getaway (Ikon Pass.) It's been years since I went to Squaw, and I'm wondering how easy it is these days to park in a spot that's accessible for dog check-ins throughout the day. From the looks of the maps it would seem the closest you can park to a run/lift is in the southeast corner of the lot near the Red Wolf Lodge. Am I on the right track?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 3.38.44 PM.png 
Views:	194 
Size:	999.8 KB 
ID:	357747
    You won't be the only van hanging out in that spot

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  10. #7235
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by myles long View Post
    You won't be the only van hanging out in that spot
    Fantastico. Thanks.

  11. #7236
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Santa Cruz
    Posts
    52
    Super easy to get a spot there even with a van, weekdays you can probably show up at 9 and still be up close. weekends 8 is probably the latest for very primo depending on snow conditions

  12. #7237
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    154
    Does Squaw allow overnight parking now? I know they used to be adamantly against it, then somewhat indifferent to it, especially since they allowed employees to do it when one of th employee housing options or changed to be the uniform building. Do they have an official policy about it now?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  13. #7238
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    dankorage
    Posts
    2,644


    NYE, 8*, Good times!

  14. #7239
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Ultimately bit the bullet and upgraded to a one ton. "No regerts" other than letting myself get talked out of a dually.
    You are lucky you got talked out of it. I got talked into it and regretted that choice so much I sold it after a couple of years. Yes, they carry a lot of weight, but a dually with a big truck camper is basically a Class C RV without the advantage of a pass-through and the PIA of climbing up about 5' to get into it every time, but with better winter capability.

    When you have that much weight capacity you will go for a huge camper, which is what we did. The Arctic Fox camper we had was 4800 lbs dry. It handled like a pig and with the gas engine I would get passed by big rigs on long grades. Oh yeah, and 10mpg loaded, 14.5 empty. When you need new tires you will be buying 6 of them.

    If I still wanted that kind of setup and had it to do over I would get a 1-ton SRW diesel and throw a Northern-lite fiberglass truck camper on it.

    We went in a different direction and have a fiberglass trailer for RV-ing and a Colorado ZR2 with OVRLND popup camper for off-road.
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

  15. #7240
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,633
    Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    You are lucky you got talked out of it. I got talked into it and regretted that choice so much I sold it after a couple of years. Yes, they carry a lot of weight, but a dually with a big truck camper is basically a Class C RV without the advantage of a pass-through and the PIA of climbing up about 5' to get into it every time, but with better winter capability.

    When you have that much weight capacity you will go for a huge camper, which is what we did. The Arctic Fox camper we had was 4800 lbs dry. It handled like a pig and with the gas engine I would get passed by big rigs on long grades. Oh yeah, and 10mpg loaded, 14.5 empty. When you need new tires you will be buying 6 of them.

    If I still wanted that kind of setup and had it to do over I would get a 1-ton SRW diesel and throw a Northern-lite fiberglass truck camper on it.

    We went in a different direction and have a fiberglass trailer for RV-ing and a Colorado ZR2 with OVRLND popup camper for off-road.
    Different strokes, I guess.

    One ton diesel trucks will pass about whatever they want going up the mountain apart from sporty AWDs with turbos, and get a minimum of 12mpg on the up.

    Round trips keeping pace with fast lane = 13-14mpg. Slowing down to 62-65mph = 14-15mpg. Without camper = 20mpg+

    Have had fantastic trade wear with Nokian LTs. Only have 13k on them but little sign of wear.

    End of day, I'll put up with 1mpg less to have more room. SRW + NL should handle about the same as DRW + Host. If anything, guessing the dually will handle slightly better.

    I totally agree on the lack of a pass thru. That's the biggest downside IMO. I'm sure I'd like the lower step in height of a van as well, but they wouldn't sell me one all the way back in 2018 (talked to multiple dealers and got run around, so fuck em. Love my truck, even if it's 2 tires short, and loved dropping in the camper and being ready to roll without spending months building it out).

    Note: I don't have a place to park a class C, otherwise I would have done that first, probably.

  16. #7241
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Beautiful BC
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    You are lucky you got talked out of it. I got talked into it and regretted that choice so much I sold it after a couple of years. Yes, they carry a lot of weight, but a dually with a big truck camper is basically a Class C RV without the advantage of a pass-through and the PIA of climbing up about 5' to get into it every time, but with better winter capability.

    When you have that much weight capacity you will go for a huge camper, which is what we did. The Arctic Fox camper we had was 4800 lbs dry. It handled like a pig and with the gas engine I would get passed by big rigs on long grades. Oh yeah, and 10mpg loaded, 14.5 empty. When you need new tires you will be buying 6 of them.

    If I still wanted that kind of setup and had it to do over I would get a 1-ton SRW diesel and throw a Northern-lite fiberglass truck camper on it.

    We went in a different direction and have a fiberglass trailer for RV-ing and a Colorado ZR2 with OVRLND popup camper for off-road.
    When I switched from trailer to camper I did a lot of research (I'm a numbers guy) and ended up with a Diesel dually longbox. It's the only way to go with a modern camper and most of my friends with campers went the same way. Even with a 1T dually I'm at my GVW fully loaded and pulling a trailer. My payload is only 3,500# because of the heavy Diesel engine and heavier drivetrain. I can't imagine driving around with a camper and single rear wheel setup.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

  17. #7242
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Posts
    6,301
    Euro's do a good job of making well though out small campers.





    A very detailed documentation of build on Casa Trotter (in French, use google translate). Owner had a very dialed Sprinter for two years and sold it to move to a truck camper.

    https://www.casa-trotter.com/phpBB3/...193189#p193189

  18. #7243
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,157
    Expensive but pretty dope Astro Tiger Van

    https://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/d/...264510120.html


  19. #7244
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    2,971
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Euro's do a good job of making well though out small campers.





    A very detailed documentation of build on Casa Trotter (in French, use google translate). Owner had a very dialed Sprinter for two years and sold it to move to a truck camper.

    https://www.casa-trotter.com/phpBB3/...193189#p193189
    Very well thought out. But where is the ski storage?

    Here are the money shots: https://www.casa-trotter.com/phpBB3/...193680#p193680

  20. #7245
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,509
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210119_180822548.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	358757

  21. #7246
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210119_180822548.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	358757
    Too many windows. Get yourself a full on predator van insulate it & retain more heat... And stealth.

  22. #7247
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    8,290'
    Posts
    4,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Shred Baron View Post
    Does Squaw allow overnight parking now? I know they used to be adamantly against it, then somewhat indifferent to it, especially since they allowed employees to do it when one of th employee housing options or changed to be the uniform building. Do they have an official policy about it now?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    complete cocksukers about it in early 2018 , one of my worst on the road experiences in 9 months of that year

    try by the trukee train tracks unless that option changed
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20

  23. #7248
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    9,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Too many windows. Get yourself a full on predator van insulate it & retain more heat... And stealth.
    Yep. This is my situation. Its workable but not ideal. If starting from scratch, Id start elsewhere. But a nice down comforter and reflectix gets us through.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	961A5E88-D0B2-4443-BF80-FE7E2F408B6F.jpeg 
Views:	107 
Size:	380.6 KB 
ID:	358901

  24. #7249
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Slden
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Yep. This is my situation. Its workable but not ideal. If starting from scratch, Id start elsewhere. But a nice down comforter and reflectix gets us through.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	961A5E88-D0B2-4443-BF80-FE7E2F408B6F.jpeg 
Views:	107 
Size:	380.6 KB 
ID:	358901
    What is your sleeping platform/situation inside?
    I picked me up a 2005' E350 w/ a high top(not as high as yours though)...skimming my brain for the build out after I get done remodeling my house. Spring project stuffs.

  25. #7250
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    9,088
    Gaucho benches that fold flat in the back. Pretty lame. Going to redo in spring to a platform with more room underneath. We never use the benches as seats.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •