Page 462 of 508 FirstFirst ... 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 ... LastLast
Results 11,526 to 11,550 of 12695
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Re: preventing messes when opening the main dump cap ….
    Over the past 20 years I’ve had so many different RVs with black tanks and a few pretty catastrophic gross experiences…dry flush toilet sure is nice. No black tank epics, no search for RV dump sites….

Any recommendations on a telescoping ladder for cleaning snow off the top of a truck camper? No attached ladder and I need a way to clear my solar panels. I would rather not have to drill holes and permanently attach a ladder. This Thule one appears to fit the bill but I am wondering if anyone has had any luck with the cheap Amazon ones.

https://www.rei.com/product/174366/t...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

The cheap Amazon ladders feel like they might be a recipe for death in an icy parking lot however. Alternately is there some sort of snow rake that I am missing?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My sis has one of the cheaper telescoping ladders, and it's not super sketchy. The crux would probably be making sure the feet don't skate out, so maybe some spikes or something if you're intent on setting it up atop an ice rink.

Here's a Q for the collective. I've recently become kind of fixated on converting a box truck into a badass RV. The question is whether I could sell it for a small profit (to cover materials and some time) after I build it out if we try it and decide it is too big/thirsty/etc for our needs.

The idea is a COE truck (GMC/Isuzu, Hino, Mitsu) with an ~18' box. I'd put like 1500w of solar on the roof and 800ah of lithium batts inside and keep the exterior pretty untouched so it's at least a little stealth. It would be very winter capable and able to boondock for ~10 days. Mini-split AC and diesel heater would keep it comfy, and the lift gate would turn into a huge rear patio. I figure I'd be into it for like $30k in materials after buying a used truck and building it out very nicely with top-quality stuff. Could I sell something like that for $40-50k without too much hassle? Maybe if I get some photos of it on a beach in Baja with a hot 20-something in a bikini on the patio?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	111-UT102342-scaled.jpeg 
Views:	101 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	452345
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ver iz ze money LePowski? View Post
    Any recommendations on a telescoping ladder for cleaning snow off the top of a truck camper? No attached ladder and I need a way to clear my solar panels. I would rather not have to drill holes and permanently attach a ladder. This Thule one appears to fit the bill but I am wondering if anyone has had any luck with the cheap Amazon ones.

https://www.rei.com/product/174366/t...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

The cheap Amazon ladders feel like they might be a recipe for death in an icy parking lot however. Alternately is there some sort of snow rake that I am missing?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using the cheap Amazon one. I use it to clean the solar panel and get the skis outta the box. Been working fine for the past 2 seasons. I generally just get my lady to hold the bottom or I really kick it into the snow to hold it in place. Haven't really come across any issues on ice. However, you could always get a U shaped bracket and spike the bottom of it. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01MQY...b_b_asin_title

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    My sis has one of the cheaper telescoping ladders, and it's not super sketchy. The crux would probably be making sure the feet don't skate out, so maybe some spikes or something if you're intent on setting it up atop an ice rink.

Here's a Q for the collective. I've recently become kind of fixated on converting a box truck into a badass RV. The question is whether I could sell it for a small profit (to cover materials and some time) after I build it out if we try it and decide it is too big/thirsty/etc for our needs.

The idea is a COE truck (GMC/Isuzu, Hino, Mitsu) with an ~18' box. I'd put like 1500w of solar on the roof and 800ah of lithium batts inside and keep the exterior pretty untouched so it's at least a little stealth. It would be very winter capable and able to boondock for ~10 days. Mini-split AC and diesel heater would keep it comfy, and the lift gate would turn into a huge rear patio. I figure I'd be into it for like $30k in materials after buying a used truck and building it out very nicely with top-quality stuff. Could I sell something like that for $40-50k without too much hassle? Maybe if I get some photos of it on a beach in Baja with a hot 20-something in a bikini on the patio?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	111-UT102342-scaled.jpeg 
Views:	101 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	452345
    The Covid induced demand for RVs is over, causing prices to drop.

Any recommendations on a telescoping ladder for cleaning snow off the top of a truck camper?
    Telescoping snow scraper. Or install foot cleats to climb up

https://snowjoe.com/products/snow-jo...th-ice-scraper

You would never get your money back from a homemade rig. Much better to buy a used proper RV especially when neither would be 4x4,

Evan.

If your really looking to do a build out and later profit just no its not 2021 anymore

I see a few of those around it's pretty ghetto cause it rides like a delivery truck

If you think its cool and want it go for it but resale nah I've seen one around here that when you roll the door up there is a door and window its pretty cool in a way someone else is driving around and living out of a converted step van cool but resale no

Buy a clapped ot dodge transit or benzene and convert it if your looking to profit

The great thong about a sprinter is it drives like a benze almost sport like versus a ridged Isuzu

Climberevan,
    I’m not sure a quick sale would be there for that type of rig. Find the right buyer,
    sure, but your margins are going to be tight. It gets hard to recoup the cost on the higher end stuff you’d probably want to be using.

I did most of the work on my van(minus professional cabinets) with good components. early on I think I could have recouped my costs of goods but not any of my labor. Peak vanmania probably could have come ahead a little more on a sale. I’m 5 years/100k miles in and not planning on selling, so it worked out well in the end.

I bet you could build a sweet winter rig out of that box, but I’m having a hard time imagining that cab being comfortable for long road hauls. 7hr + pushes are my mo and that cab looks miserable, but I’ve never been in one.

Edit: Freddy is right about the Benz. Even my 2017 is a pleasure to drive

A uhaul or similar truck might be a better option to convert. I think they have a few sizes in the 15-20ft range. Probably more comfortable to drive and easy to cut a pass through to the cab. Ground clearance might not be as good though.

Thanks for the dose of reality. For the record, I'm not talking about doing a janky DIY kind of conversion (I build furniture for a living, after all), but I think you're right about the COE truck being a really niche platform. My goal would be to keep it long term, but knowing I could sell it would be nice. Knowing I'm likely stuck with it makes it a bigger leap.

I'm not interested in vans--I want something much bigger. We travel with 5 bikes and Ms CE needs to work inside a few days a week. I guess I'll stick with my venerable WinningBago for the time being.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Any recommendations on a telescoping ladder for cleaning snow off the top of a truck camper?
    I was pretty close to ordering an Amazon one, but decided against it for a couple of reasons. We are often on a sloped site for one, so leveling in addition to anchoring a straight ladder on ice is a huge concern. Also, I already owned a Little Giant Megalite 15 foot folding/extending ladder ... sure it takes up maybe 2 to 2.5x the room of a telescoping ladder but it isn't actually any heavier for the length. And we pack most of our gear into the trailer storage area than the truck bed, so space in the bed wasn't an issue.

What I like with this setup is that I don't have to stand the ladder up straight but just use it in A-frame mode so it's safer for me to use solo, and I can turn the A-frame in line with the slope to keep the thing stable. I use a 51" Costco extending brush/squeegee thing, but only the squeegee side just like the 18" SnowJoe squeegee that AltaSnob posted. This setup has been working well for me, but probably wouldn't work well for a TC, at least unless you were willing to store the ladder in the camper cabin during transport, or fashion a secure rack of sorts.

An unattached ladder also serves double duty ... besides maintaining the RV's roof, my camp neighbor uses one to get over the snowbank to the chairlifts (instead of just walking to the end of the RV lot and walking up the ramp, lol) ... he also hauls his camp chairs up there so that his family's hangout spot is in the sun, as the 12 foot tall snowbank really shades the "backyard" of the RV after noon or so, lol!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

for sale locally - not mine

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3639...ibextid=W9rl1R

1994 Ford 4x4 ambulance diesel

7.3l idi diesel engine
    Aftermarket turbo
    Upgraded transmission
    1 ton front straight axle
    Low Miles 162xxx

Ambulance ready for your rv or overland build! 4x4 f350 with airbag suspension. Solid aluminum insulated box with tons of storage and cabinets built in already! Convert into the ultimate 4x4 overland vehicle or just leave it as it is and throw a cot and sleeping bag in the back.

Starts, runs,drives and stops

$19000 cash only

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1679528609.928583.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	938.4 KB 
ID:	452834
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 03-22-2023 at 07:01 PM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Cool but I overpriced for a 7.3 idi

How many ppl have died in it

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    How many ppl have died in it

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Zero…they all died in the hospital

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Zero…they all died in the hospital
    Ha. Trackhead knows.

^ you make a point..

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Cool but I overpriced for a 7.3 idi
    Agreed

Interesting

^ weird posts weren't showing up. Like guy on a buffalo glitch.

Anywho, first time last night: huge snowfall and totally clear windshield. Nothing stuck to it .
    Midwinter I can feel thw insulating effect of a few inches from under the covers..

My ghetto rig doesn’t fit in here with all the Sprinters, yoga pants, and furry boots everywhere.
    Name:  700C3750-C2FF-4083-95FC-A2C5F2108FC0.jpeg
Views: 1099
Size:  97.9 KB

My ghetto rig doesn’t fit in here with all the Sprinters, yoga pants, and furry boots everywhere.

That is not a ghetto rig, and it's the others that don't/won't ever fit in no matter how hard they try or how much things change.

Dude your custom rig rocks, and if you want to elevate your game with the furry booters just come up with a name that sounds outdoorsy / Overlandy, remove some/all the vowels, and put it on as a vinyl graphic in a clean font.

Wheelr.
    Roamr.
    Seekr.
    Slayr.

Hey wait this is the G3 ski lineup

Anyone have experience with this DC-DC charger? https://www.renogy.com/dcc50s-12v-50...ger-with-mppt/

Fairly simple and would be perfect for my truck camper but worried its trying to do too much. Most of the reviews/comments are from solar dorks