Page 164 of 510 FirstFirst ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 ... LastLast
Results 4,076 to 4,100 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I'd pick one of the ones that has a strong roof and minimal top seems...
    Agreed. Roof shape too. I don't want a flat roof. AF's roof shape is nice, plus it would say AF on the camper. Heavy though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

^^^ If possible, I'd also try to find one with the least stuff bolted onto the roof -- minimize potential leaks, and make it easier to clear snow off.

Might be difficult though. Seems like most truck campers have an A/C unit, a skylight dome or two, maybe a roof rack and/or ladder, maybe solar panels + wiring...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Narrowed down to the following and will be pulling the trigger this weekend. I'm steering clear of slide-outs for a few reasons--primarily weight/safety. Even with a 1-ton diesel, it's very easy to be overloaded, technically. Any experience with any of these is appreciated.

Northern Lite 9-6 (Norseman was right)
    Bigfoot 1500 series (similar to above)
    Arctic Fox 865
    Wolf Creek 850 (same as above, but in budget trim)
    Cirrus 920 (a bit fruity, and not sure what the durability would look like long-term)
    Hallmark Cuchara (wish I could find one within 1 day's drive)
    Northern Lite could be light on insulation as could others. Most only have R5 insulation at best and some just have 3/4" plywood walls and no insulation on the lower section of the camper.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    ^^^ If possible, I'd also try to find one with the least stuff bolted onto the roof -- minimize potential leaks, and make it easier to clear snow off.

Might be difficult though. Seems like most truck campers have an A/C unit, a skylight dome or two, maybe a roof rack and/or ladder, maybe solar panels + wiring...
    Agreed! Good point. I don't really want to afford a new one, but that may be the only way to minimize penetrations (in the roof!).

My working assumption is that I'll have no need for AC, even if used in the summer because nights get cool enough and would be outdoors during day. Don't need TV antenna. Don't need solar right away as we won't start drawing on battery until after dark anyway. Maybe some day if I hit the road for more than a few days.

@Danno, not sure. My understanding is that NL is great in the cold.

Everybody's talking about heating an rv. Sleep in a small tent and you'll be cozy even in low temps.

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Try using a little buddy heater in that tent. Then your standard on what is cozy will change.

Agreed! Good point. I don't really want to afford a new one, but that may be the only way to minimize penetrations (in the roof!).

My working assumption is that I'll have no need for AC, even if used in the summer because nights get cool enough and would be outdoors during day. Don't need TV antenna. Don't need solar right away as we won't start drawing on battery until after dark anyway. Maybe some day if I hit the road for more than a few days.

@Danno, not sure. My understanding is that NL is great in the cold.

The RVs with the crappy insulation will feel warm and comfortable upper body with the furnace blasting away but it will never quite get warm enough lower down.

@mattlg - what do you know about the Cirrus campers? I actually like the interiors on those.
    JimmyCarter:

I was a MA high school "racer"... Dudes show up for a 200 yard "race" in full gear, getting leg rubdowns in the starting house while half my team was off in the woods getting lit.

:Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by mtb View Post
    @mattlg - what do you know about the Cirrus campers? I actually like the interiors on those.
    I poked around in the 920. When I was looking at building a sprinter, I came across several of the cool design elements that are more prevalent in Europe and found myself wondering why these haven't shown up in truck campers. Looks like NuCamp (which makes the Cirrus) had the same thought.

One of the dealers I've been talking to says they're great quality and that they've been selling well. It was pretty high on my list (and there's still some small chance I might end up with one), but they're so new to truck campers that I would want a little more track record (especially in cold/wet conditions) before getting one.

I will be taking one more look this weekend, but have all but decided on the fiberglass clam shell design. The S5 dometic windows that northern lite uses are a big selling point for exclusive cold weather use. The 6 year structural warranty too (Arctic Fox is only 1 yr by comparison. Not sure on Cirrus).

I will say the hydronic heating system in the Cirrus is very intriguing on paper. Maybe we got a few van life mags running hydronic set-ups that can comment. As long as it's functioning properly, it seems like it beats propane furnaces and catalytic heaters across the board. No expert there though... Just my impression from reading about them online.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    The RVs with the crappy insulation will feel warm and comfortable upper body with the furnace blasting away but it will never quite get warm enough lower down.
    Our slide in is poorly insulated on the bottom half (and elsewhere). We stuck 2" hard foam insulation around the outside of the camper for everything that sits within the truck bed. Covered it with some thin, cheap plywood to help it hold up. We're a couple years in with that setup and it works pretty well. Stays comfortable inside, and the furnace doesn't run a ridiculous amount.

Norseman or anyone else that has one can comment, but from what I've read about the NL is that the thinner insulation is of secondary importance to the excellent air sealing. Some guys with conventionally constructed campers say they got lots of thick insulation but that it's drafty in parts.

meant to post this up for all non zillionaire parking lot rats...pulled a sled nicely too i might add, got free parking for all lady themed sporting events, r.i.p. lil wagon, i kno youre rustin away at a junkyard in the sky....

refresher:
    twin memory foam mattress custom cut, polartec 200 complete surround curtains in rear of coach, AWD, deep rubber,25k gold flake paint job, roof box for an unruly passengers

*note the type of sleds pulled, not the western flyer types...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suby.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	256740

sled pulled, freeride systems remote area corp offices

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-04-06 13.19.03.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	256741
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Arctic Fox 865
    My older brother has one of these on his 1-ton Dodge. Extremely well built, thus the weight. He had some sort of warranty issue in his first year or two of ownership that he says Arctic Fox was very good about fixing.

He says he picked the 865 because of no slide.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    My older brother has one of these on his 1-ton Dodge. Extremely well built, thus the weight. He had some sort of warranty issue in his first year or two of ownership that he says Arctic Fox was very good about fixing.

He says he picked the 865 because of no slide.
    Good info, thanks! (I missed the forum notification, apparently, busy weekend).

That 865 and their Wolf Creek version were high on the list.

someone school me on pickup topper prices, i’ve seen wildly varying prices on new caps. what factors go into the pricing? i’m guessing shipping distance from the manufacturer to vendor accounts for a portion. then does the vendor actually install all of the options, so the rest is varying labor rates?

I just bought a cap for my new Tundra. Double cab 8' bed. $2500 out the door with tax and install with a carpet roof lining, front slider window, roof rack and pet screens. This is in Idaho Falls ID. I went with Century (exactly the same as Leer, owned by the same company) as the dealer carried it, but it was 500 bucks cheaper than the equivalent ARE. Snugtop didn't offer shit for the 8' bed but supposedly would be the most expensive but the best quality.

Despite only being 33% larger the 8' caps cost twice as much as most places don't stock them (made to order) and I had to wait three weeks plus another 2 to get the parts guys off their ass to install. If I had the 6.5 bed it would have cost about 1350 with the same options.

If you are sleeping in it the carpet liner is a must IMO. Otherwise build to suit.
    Last edited by AdironRider; 11-26-2018 at 01:10 PM.
    Live Free or Die

Raider. Craigslist. $300.

That's A LOT of depreciation.

Yeah that as well. Buy a cap because you want and see a need for it, you aren't going to see a penny of this "investment" back.

But mine looks bitchin' color matched in Cement paint, so that's nice.
    Live Free or Die

Toppers: I shopped around a fair bit and eventually got a 6' ARE V-Series for $1550+tax, with a color match, sliders with screens, carpeted headliner, reinforced roof, and tracks for a roof rack.

If you have a truck that has been on the market for a while a used topper + respray can be a good deal, but I was shopping for a body style that was only a couple years old, so not much on the used market.

As you said, lots of variation. The more glass you're getting, the more expensive the topper will be. Same with options. But for the most part, the sense I get is that there isn't a huge difference between brands (and some, as noted above, are coming out of the same factory with different brand names).

my n=1
    I have an 8' color matched ARE w/ flip-up + slide side windows & carpet liner & interior light -- it was $2k ordered from the factory in 2013

Norseman or anyone else that has one can comment, but from what I've read about the NL is that the thinner insulation is of secondary importance to the excellent air sealing. Some guys with conventionally constructed campers say they got lots of thick insulation but that it's drafty in parts.

My understanding is that gaps negate the value of good insulation.
    There are a few good articles out there on the subject...

I will be re insulating our Tiger with R-max (hopefully next Summer) and will be using lap joints on all seams to make sure there are no gaps and drafts.

By putting this here, I'm hoping it means I don't have to buy it myself. Drool.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/r...760201787.html

Yeah, that guy posts a lot of those JDM RVs. Tried to talk the wife into one, but she wouldn't bite. They're slick. Anyone have experience with one long term?

ach, tiger conversion truck thingy? Those things are badass.

I pulled the trigger on the northern lite. Tires don't get here until Monday, so shakedown will have to wait until next weekend.

Yeah, that guy posts a lot of those JDM RVs. Tried to talk the wife into one, but she wouldn't bite.
    Very cool, but right hand drive though...

ach, tiger conversion truck thingy? Those things are badass.
    Thank you, we do love it...
    Categorically not a conversion though, its a class C motorhome.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Very cool, but right hand drive though...

Thank you, we do love it...
    Categorically not a conversion though, its a class C motorhome.
    Right right, my mistake! I looked really hard at one of those. Possibly the most ideal base camp imo.