Page 81 of 510 FirstFirst ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 12749
    I have used the Big Buddy,mostly to dry out shells,in a VW camper.If you have an auxillary battery,a 12v electric blanket is safe and quiet.The front gets damn hot.I would not trust the auto shut off with my life.It is for O2,not CO,so crack the window at least 4in and get a CO alarm

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

I use a catalytic heater 24/7 in my rig when in the mountains (my puppies are Not spoiled...) I have had two occasions where my CO alarm woke me with it's scream. Foul air in the SkiBumMobile. Snow had covered the bathroom exhaust fan cover (this open vent, along with the other non-sealed areas of the rig, is usually plenty of oxygen source).
    Rapid air exchange allowed my brain fuzziness to clear. The headache took a little longer to clear.
    Keeping that vent snow-free is a regular thing now.

Get an alarm if you use any indoor heater.

And, Let it Snow!!!

Great Vanagon in the snow pic!

We've had several different propane heaters in our Westy and never liked any of them. The best was a vintage Coleman catalytic heater, but was too bulky to travel with. It ran great but like propane heating I didn't trust it in such a small area.

^^^ A VW friend told me once they are so drafty you can run a propane heater with the windows closed as long as the roof vent is cracked a just little. I never do.

I've looked several times at the RV furnaces, but that all but eliminates storage under the seat.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post
    somebody asked for pics of the porch folded up....
    I'm really digging this setup. Ingenious!

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    Great Vanagon in the snow pic!

We've had several different propane heaters in our Westy and never liked any of them. The best was a vintage Coleman catalytic heater, but was too bulky to travel with. It ran great but like propane heating I didn't trust it in such a small area.

^^^ A VW friend told me once they are so drafty you can run a propane heater with the windows closed as long as the roof vent is cracked a just little. I never do.

I've looked several times at the RV furnaces, but that all but eliminates storage under the seat.
    We bit the bullet and bought a propex. Really small footprint size wise. Lots of people hook them up to the factory westy tank, but since our van doesnt have a propane tank, we just ran the copper pipe to a quick connect under the van, and then just hook up at 20# tank when we are ski camping. The heater is pricey ($800) but we were on a 2 week roadtrip and figured the hotel costs would quickly climb over that just in the one trip.

obviously in progress pics. Fits nicely under the fridge. So nice to wake up cold, flip a switch, roll over in bed and go back to sleep and then wake up half hour later to a toasty van!

Heater under the fridge is not a great location

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Quote Originally Posted by haydukelives View Post
    Heater under the fridge is not a great location
    Its barely even warm like an inch away from it, does a pretty good job of pushing heat out the vent and not radiating up. But yeah there is only so much unused space in a van. gotta compromise somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by rfoubi View Post
    We bit the bullet and bought a propex. Really small footprint size wise. Lots of people hook them up to the factory westy tank, but since our van doesnt have a propane tank, we just ran the copper pipe to a quick connect under the van, and then just hook up at 20# tank when we are ski camping. The heater is pricey ($800) but we were on a 2 week roadtrip and figured the hotel costs would quickly climb over that just in the one trip.

obviously in progress pics. Fits nicely under the fridge. So nice to wake up cold, flip a switch, roll over in bed and go back to sleep and then wake up half hour later to a toasty van!
    Just a word of advise, Make sure to run your propex at least once a month or more, even in the summer. Having issues with mine in my Syncro, and so far that is the leading problem I've discovered. Otherwise I've enjoyed mine for 5+ years.

I put an 'Atwood 8012 furnace in the van, it's only 12x8", direct vent, and about $350. No venting scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by rfoubi View Post
    You can stay in their parking lot but i think its $20. Supposed to have a self contained shitter but they didnt ask and we didnt tell.
    Not a bad place to wake up (feb 2015)

And theres also a great free forest service? or something access rd just below the switchbacks on the access road. seems like fair game
    Well that's just fantastic. Also, great pics. I'd love to wind up parked next to you guys.

Marin born -> Chico State -> CH -> France -> Truckee
    I put one of these in my small camper. Non vented freaked me out too but after months of research confirming that if you use common sense and crack your windows they are safe. With your standard alarms in place of course. I paid $207 2-4 months ago so this is currently a ripping deal...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1447998828.445381.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	172120
    "Can switching to Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance?"

"Do people really call 911 thinking they will get seen faster in the ER?"

Great heaters but just could not provide enough heat in my rig at altitude. ^^^^

Any Eurovan camper owners have experience winter camping with the stock furnace?

Update on my Van project. Last summer I acquired a 7.3 diesel E350 extended body. Still kinda bare bones but it's coming together. So far I've upholstered/insulated with carpet padding and industrial carpeting all the way around, and installed laminate flooring, a modular bed platform, a counter and sink, and a sweet awning. Need to add ventilation and a heater, a couple windows, and maybe a high top. Took a three week road trip through the northwest this august and it was money.

There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

What brand/model is that awning? Been thinking bout one for my tundra. Sweet van btw

It's a rhino rack foxwing. Works pretty well.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    What brand/model is that awning? Been thinking bout one for my tundra. Sweet van btw
    I have an inno awning ive been thinking about selling. Not as wide a footprint as that sweet rig beaterit has but its pretty cherry. Just Google it. I used it on a tundra.

I'm working on a 1989 Skamper 720S Pop-Up for a Tacoma right now, any thoughts on adding some insulation to the canvas so it stays warmer? I was considering using the Mylar (space reflector insulation) bubble wrap found in Home Depot to line the perimeter once set up, but wasn't sure if this would even be worth the effort... I'll be using an electric blanket hooked up to a car battery, as well as a propane furnace... Thoughts for keeping a pop up warm?

Quote Originally Posted by cliffhucker View Post
    I was considering using the Mylar (space reflector insulation) bubble wrap found in Home Depot to line the perimeter once set up, but wasn't sure if this would even be worth the effort...
    Mine isn't a pop up, but we are surrounded by windows.
    We have found that putting this material in each window of our rig makes a considerable difference in terms heat retention.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Update on my Van project. Last summer I acquired a 7.3 diesel E350 extended body. Still kinda bare bones but it's coming together. So far I've upholstered/insulated with carpet padding and industrial carpeting all the way around, and installed laminate flooring, a modular bed platform, a counter and sink, and a sweet awning. Need to add ventilation and a heater, a couple windows, and maybe a high top. Took a three week road trip through the northwest this august and it was money.
    I have serious van envy. I think I might go this route vs. the pick-up+camper route I've been chasing. While not stand-up, it's may more stealth and likely cheaper. I dig it.

Fwiw i think a 2wd diesel van sucks ass in the snow without a ton of weight. Definitely not in the same league as a 4wd truck with a camper. But other than storm chasing it would be a much better camper rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I have an inno awning ive been thinking about selling. Not as wide a footprint as that sweet rig beaterit has but its pretty cherry. Just Google it. I used it on a tundra.
    how much and how long is it?

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Fwiw i think a 2wd diesel van sucks ass in the snow without a ton of weight. Definitely not in the same league as a 4wd truck with a camper. But other than storm chasing it would be a much better camper rig.
    There is no doubt about that. A 4WD van such as the Ford E series line isn't too bad with the 7.3 stroker in it. Worst experience ever during winter was in Poland for a few months with a Ford Transit and a Mercedes Sprinter. Seriously, worst drivers during winter conditions ever. Though, it is nice to have a van that you can start/do-whatever-the-hell you want inside without having to go outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    There is no doubt about that. A 4WD van such as the Ford E series line isn't too bad with the 7.3 stroker in it. Worst experience ever during winter was in Poland for a few months with a Ford Transit and a Mercedes Sprinter. Seriously, worst drivers during winter conditions ever. Though, it is nice to have a van that you can start/do-whatever-the-hell you want inside without having to go outside.
    Sounds fun. I agree, a 4wd 7.3 van would be tits. But wayy out of my price range. By the way, saw your rig on the last page, I like your style.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1448930989.311010.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	726.8 KB 
ID:	172668

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I've seen the inno awnings before and they're nice but not quite what I want. Of course I really want to get a nice cargo basket so I can mount awning on it as well as recovery gear. Although with the combined cost of that and the rhino awning it puts me close to what I'm going to pay for new front suspension(prob icons and camburg ucas). Of course would love a 4wheel camper too but I doubt that will ever happen $$$