Page 159 of 510 FirstFirst ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,975 of 12727
    https://overlandex.com/pop-up-camper-info

I don’t think that this can be beat for a winter use pop up. It’s the passive house of the pop up world.

Spotted around town the other day. Want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1719.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	254388  
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

very cool -- until you need parts

I don't know shit but figured since it was a Volvo that might be less of an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I don't know shit but figured since it was a Volvo that might be less of an issue.
    Facepalm. I thought that was a pinzgauer. LOL, should have seen the Swede plate. Oh well. That is cool.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post

All things considered, I think I'd rather trust my family's safety and snowy lot mobility to a 4wd pickup over a ghey little German van for hipsters. Hopefully someone saves this post if I end up with the van.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    And we're full circle. Well, almost. Sold my truck for more than expected (after mileage deduction for work, it ended up being virtually free after 1.5 years of ownership. Not bad for 12yr old design that has supposedly been dethroned for years now... Props to tundra owners. I'll miss being one).

After much debate and spreadsheet comparisons, I'm fairly well decided on the ghey hipster van. I'm down between settling on one that has 90% of the options I want, or ordering one (and waiting maybe a year).

Option 1: get better deal on 2017-2018 sprinter. Scrape by with a heater and air mattress this season while waiting for new one to be built for next season. If the recession hasn't hit by then, resale should be good

Option 2: same as above but scrape by more comfortably in an old truck camper combo off Craigslist. Resale uncertain, but purchase price low.

Option 3: usurp wife's Kia Sportage (100k miles, runs like a fucking top, has nokians, WRC in snow). My kid and I could probably handle sleeping bags in the Kia for one season.

Votes?

And of you van life hipsters have strong votes on factory options for sprinters?

My vote: Cheap truck/camper option for now, start planning and saving for long-term (10+ year hold) rig.

IME, there is great value in having a rig that is reliable and, more importantly, can be fixed by 90% of mechanics with relatively cheap parts. That militates against anything Euro and in favor of domestic or Toyota engine/drive train. I went through 2 VW camping vans (one a Westy with an engine conversion), which always had something wrong with them, were expensive and tricky to repair and wouldn't be touched by most mechanics. A wasserboxer Westy with a Subie engine conversion is trick, but expect trouble and good luck finding a mechanic. Keep it simple, especially if you plan to do long road trips.

We'll likely get a Class B or Class C when Honey retires (currently 5 years out). It'll be interesting to see what's available 5 years from now -- and to see how the the Ford 3.2L turbo diesels are holding up.

Get by this season with whatever and hold out for the likely release of an awd transit for 2020.

I've never seen the point of the hipster vans. They aren't stealth anymore. We see them in our neighborhood and know instantly that there is probably someone sleeping inside. They cost a shit ton and the market could drop out at any point. Or you could buy a truck, that you can drive without a camper at any time, to go mountain biking, put a sled in it in the future, get firewood etc etc
    Most people who own them are too scared to even take them offroad...

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    I've never seen the point of the hipster vans. They aren't stealth anymore. We see them in our neighborhood and know instantly that there is probably someone sleeping inside. They cost a shit ton and the market could drop out at any point. Or you could buy a truck, that you can drive without a camper at any time, to go mountain biking, put a sled in it in the future, get firewood etc etc
    Most people who own them are too scared to even take them offroad...
    What exactly are we calling a "Hippster Van" at this point? Sprinters?

I've been considering trading in my F150 for a Sprinter. The F150 isn't really capable at all off road, no more than a slightly lifted Sprinter w/ some BFG's. And the Sprinter could get a shitton better gas mileage. I could drive a 140" Sprinter as a daily driver, just wouldn't fit in the garage. I'd keep it pretty bare bones. Insulation and a heater, easily removable everything from bed platform to kitchen, bathroom, shower, etc. So really, it could be used just like a really big truck bed as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I could drive a 140" Sprinter as a daily driver, just wouldn't fit in the garage. I'd keep it pretty bare bones. Insulation and a heater, easily removable everything from bed platform to kitchen, bathroom, shower, etc. So really, it could be used just like a really big truck bed as needed.
    One could argue, that as described above, it would be of more utility.
    The key difference being that you might be less inclined to use if for some of the messier tasks that you wouldn't think twice about with the F-1fitty. [edited to add} I wonder about the premium you pay to own a Sprinter though, between the initial purchase cost and the relative service/maintenance cost to own compared to just about anything regardless of what they get for mileage...
    Last edited by ACH; 11-09-2018 at 12:12 PM.

I thought hipster vans were Eurovans and Promasters. We call Sprinter 4x4 vans daytrader offices.

Astros are dirtbag homes. Econolines and Express vans are stealth rigs.

Sportsmobiles and Earth Roamers are retirement bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by wwwllw View Post
    Get by this season with whatever and hold out for the likely release of an awd transit for 2020.
    I hope this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by wwwllw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I hope this happens.
    Quigley 4x4 Ford Transit

Good thoughts here. Thanks.

Steve/Woody, I'm leaning that direction for today. Looks like the wire just came through on my truck sale, so I will need something to drive fairly soon. I don't think I'd mind driving 4 miles across town every week to pick the thing up at my brother's place--as long as I got electric auto-jacks. It would be an easier call if it wasn't going to be the most expensive call. Because if I get a truck, I want a 1-ton diesel, and I will not buy a used diesel.

Norton, i don't care about stealth. people who talk about stealth camping annoy the fuck out of me. fuck stealth. Market WILL drop out of 150k-200k conversions. Market will not drop out of 50k AWD diesel vans, at least not very far.

Shred/ACH, yeah, I think there's more utility. I'd planned on doing my floor in some way that could be easily replaced/repaired. Best I can tell, if you don't idle these things too much, they can last a long fucking time. MB will extend the warranty to 7 years/175k miles for 4k I think. That's not a money maker for them if the things are in the shop all the time after hitting 100k.

I personally prefer the van bc my ski area doesn't have a good base lodge. So you boot up at the car and having a warm dry place is worth its weight in gold.
    no contorting yourself to get your boots on inside the vehicle when it's dumping outside
    stretching out int he back with the dog for a bit & making sandwiches in the back while andrew drives are a couple other reasons I dig the van vs truck/camper
    but obviously everyone has their various priorities
    skid luxury

Because if I get a truck, I want a 1-ton diesel, and I will not buy a used diesel..
    for now just get a nice 1 ton gas truck. 2011 and newer F350 with the 6.2L gas are quite affordable, have plenty of power for hauling a camper and the difference in maintenance costs and initial purchase price more than makes up for the slightly less favorable fuel economy.

MB will extend the warranty to 7 years/175k miles for 4k I think.
    Is that bumper to bumper?

It would be worth having IMO based upon all of the anecdotal reports I have heard from various people who work out of these things or manage fleets. Something to keep in mind. One thing in common with a lot of these folks is that the problems they experienced all happened under 100K.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Is that bumper to bumper?

It would be worth having IMO based upon all of the anecdotal reports I have heard from various people who work out of these things or manage fleets. Something to keep in mind. One thing in common with a lot of these folks is that the problems they experienced all happened under 100K.
    Not sure if bumper to bumper, but worth it either way, even if only for resale.

Woody, I know you're a Ford guy. I'm not a Chevy guy necessarily, but in a gas one ton, my understanding is that the 6.0 vortec is titties.

Do they really run the same engine in 2500 & 3500?

I’ve never really thought about it but I’m surprised to hear that

Seems like the 3500 might need higher power output, no?

Pretty sure. It's more about the suspension.
    I bet Google knows. I'm too tired to look. Been getting my truck ready to deliver to new buyer tomorrow. Bittersweet.

If I get a truck, gotta go diesel long box srw this time. Regretted not doing that way too much last time. Stupid pain meds after my car accident clouded my judgment.

Come to think of it, maybe I should reward GM for making the Denali/LTZ so uniform in terms of options. Nothing to think about there as opposed to a million options on sprinters.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Yup, same output per Chevy

Sorta funny that it would have to carry heavier loads on a truck body that is heavier duty (& thus literally heavier)...sounds like better performance out of the 2500 because more torque & horses can be used towards the payload

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    i bet thats a fake ad
    Fake why? Fake bs on CL all the time but this one doesn't strike me as too good to be true, obv not huge interest so probably why a low price? I'm actually surprised nobody mildly interested in it.
    Throw a few nice captain chairs up front, build out the back just like the other vanlifes, and on the road for under $15k?

http://www.hcdmag.com/81l-vortec-engine/
    8-10mpg isn't that crazy considering the landcruiser and van fans, what are the class c motorhomes getting?

Definitely not fake. Seen plenty of deals like that in 2 days off Craigslist rabbit hole.

Yeah AC, I think gas + 2500 is money. Diesel + 3500. The payloads on the latest crop of 2500 gassers is insane, and I could buy a brand new one for less than I just sold my truck for. Very tempting.