Page 279 of 510 FirstFirst ... 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 ... LastLast
Results 6,951 to 6,975 of 12727
    Solar panels yield a lot less during winter. As you said fewer hours of daylight and much lower angle of sun, so unless you have panels that tilt at a better angle then you lose even more.

I follow some blogs of full time RVers and in order to keep up electrical in winter they have a solar setup that is about four times what they actually need in summer months.

Some of these people have done tests on their setups to see how much less photovoltaic power they can generate in say December versus July and it is a lot. And they are not skiers so of course they winter camp in the desert in AZ, etc so don’t have many cloudy days.

After many years of winter ski tripping and now three summers of full time camping in a couple different rigs I’ve decided for me the best choice would be a propane marine heater, which in Canada would cost me about $1,000. But it would do everything I need without most hassles.

I usually find that if a system or setup annoys me in the first half dozen days of use, it would drive me crazy after a month, so I need to either make it better or try something else.

^good points
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

As far as I see it you could have put together a pretty good solar system for the price of the Jackery 1000.

I believe finding a system big enough to refill a 1000w battery in a storm day is going to be pretty expensive. If it were me I would put some effort into reducing the load.

If you found a 50w heater or even a heated blanket you'd have 20 hours which is usually sufficient to outlast a storm.

I'm too lazy to do the conversions but I wonder what that system is pulling off the 12v battery that is surely inside the Jackery box. A 160w panel would start returning respectable power if you stepped down your usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post

After many years of winter ski tripping and now three summers of full time camping in a couple different rigs I’ve decided for me the best choice would be a propane marine heater, which in Canada would cost me about $1,000. But it would do everything I need without most hassles.
    This
    http://dickinsonmarine.com/product_c...place-heaters/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E24ehcoBtok

That’s the one, although I’d only need to smaller 9000 model. I see Steveston Marine has it on sale.

Below is a sample of the much lower output of solar in winter. More northerly and cloudier regions have a larger variance. Having panels that tilt is key to improving the output in winter up north.

I made a panel tilt system on my old Vandura van and also did one for the minivan I’ve since camperized.

https://www.buildagreenrv.com/design...phic-location/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F12DB6D0-119B-41D9-B805-D0F889BADF84.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	351516

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    As far as I see it you could have put together a pretty good solar system for the price of the Jackery 1000.

I believe finding a system big enough to refill a 1000w battery in a storm day is going to be pretty expensive. If it were me I would put some effort into reducing the load.

If you found a 50w heater or even a heated blanket you'd have 20 hours which is usually sufficient to outlast a storm.

I'm too lazy to do the conversions but I wonder what that system is pulling off the 12v battery that is surely inside the Jackery box. A 160w panel would start returning respectable power if you stepped down your usage.
    im only running the little heater which is drawing about 90w ( i would be interested in a 50w but the 90w is only getting high 40s so not sure less would be prudent) . so, no other load on the jackery than heat.

i got the thing used from someone liquidating for $650 w the solar panel. besides getting it for that price and still having factory warranty the draw was the portability and ability to charge off the car while driving without having some giant electric panel installed.
    Again the portability to go from location to location was key for me as the solar panels are light weight fold out and tilt so you can aim them. i kind of knew in the back of my mind i could CL or ebay my way out of this thing if necessary and get close to eveI charged my phone extremely quickly today outside away from truck and power source.

Besides using the truck as a 'van' there are times when i am not in camper mode and i would not benefit from having 200w of solar panels strapped or bolted to my roof or bed. i am not advocating the jackery system..just running it thru some tests and posting in case anyone on this board is considering this brand.

More info.....
    since i posted earlier i have discovered that i can charge the jackery in car by way of inverter which can be plugged into the cig lighter. then it will charge the battery in about 7 hours which is faster than charging straight from cig port to jackery. the solar panel also has usb ports directly into the back of the panel to go straight to phone , etc. I also found the jackery will not charge if it is left in say 18 deg overnight . you have to bring it back to an acceptable temp level b4 it will allow you to charge. there is a self regulating feature that manages that function as well as a icon on the led display
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

mikey-
    Nice looking Leer- pm enroute to you.
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

Name:	Image1607309442.094453.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	241.1 KB 
ID:	351554

thing is hudge

you da man!
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

[QUOTE=Micol;6157479
    Besides using the truck as a 'van' there are times when i am not in camper mode and i would not benefit from having 200w of solar panels strapped or bolted to my roof or bed. i am not advocating the jackery system..just running it thru some tests and posting in case anyone on this board is considering this brand.
    [/QUOTE]

Aye, makes sense. I am actually very impressed the Jackery (seriously, who named that thing? Dumb name for a company, but I digress) worked so well running a heat source.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post

thing is hudge

you da man!
    Plenty of room to sit up and move around even after you get you sleeping platform in. Wheres the first stop? Doing a build out, or just a sleeping bag and pad?
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

I was just going to build a platform but it looks like I’ve got one coming from wolfy.

I’ve looked at some of those full kits with built in stove, sink, etc, but I think that’s a bit much for me right now.

Right now the focus is on quick cheap and easy so I can do some remote work on the road. Travel plans are dependent on snow and work.

I spent much of my 20’s living out of a Toyota with a canopy and carpet kit and in random houses and tent cabins. Just cooked outside.

Honestly until I got it on the truck I had no real idea how big it is inside, so who knows?
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 12-07-2020 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Micol View Post
    im only running the little heater which is drawing about 90w ( i would be interested in a 50w but the 90w is only getting high 40s so not sure less would be prudent) . so, no other load on the jackery than heat.

i got the thing used from someone liquidating for $650 w the solar panel. besides getting it for that price and still having factory warranty the draw was the portability and ability to charge off the car while driving without having some giant electric panel installed.
    Again the portability to go from location to location was key for me as the solar panels are light weight fold out and tilt so you can aim them. i kind of knew in the back of my mind i could CL or ebay my way out of this thing if necessary and get close to eveI charged my phone extremely quickly today outside away from truck and power source.

More info.....
    since i posted earlier i have discovered that i can charge the jackery in car by way of inverter which can be plugged into the cig lighter. then it will charge the battery in about 7 hours which is faster than charging straight from cig port to jackery. the solar panel also has usb ports directly into the back of the panel to go straight to phone , etc. I also found the jackery will not charge if it is left in say 18 deg overnight . you have to bring it back to an acceptable temp level b4 it will allow you to charge. there is a self regulating feature that manages that function as well as a icon on the led display
    I don't understand how an inverter in the accessory outlet would charge faster than direct to 12v....

I almost bought a jackery in black friday from Amazon...

I see it as if I get enough capacity for electric heat, besides the cost it takes a very long time to charge either from the car or outlet. Summer solar would do it but tough in winter. I wondered about putting it in a duffel and bringing into a ski lodge and charging all day, but that's an expensive item to just leave out.

If it's getting too cold to charge put it in a cooler with a hot water bottle before it's too cold. Just make sure it's vented.

Look at a heated mattress pad to reduce load. In new Zealand we had them in the house. No central heat and it gets frosty.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Name:	20190427_192805.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	859.9 KB 
ID:	351626

I do wish I had the high topper like mikey just got. I picked up a nice cab height one a couple summers ago. Only $400. Have the whole sleeping platform, etc. I can sit-up in bed which is nice, but not being able to stand kinda sucks. Really the only part that sucks is trying to put on pants while seated haha.

Now mine is not even carpet lined.....straight up fiberglass. I have reflectix for all the windows which helps, but I lose SOOO much heat through the fiberglass.

I camped one night elk hunting last year down to about 5*....maybe 0* with a small buddy heater going. I put a 40* down bag inside a 20* bag......so maybe equivalent of 10 degree rating?

I survived, but ice on everything under the topper.

Is there any reasonable way to insulate a setup like this? Not only the topper, but the entire unlined bare metal truck bed?

my problem is going to be the rocket box - the one I have in storage likely too long for the cab, so I’ll need racks on the shell

Name:  4738659A-2011-43C3-88E3-499818869A6D.jpeg
Views: 641
Size:  11.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Is there any reasonable way to insulate a setup like this? Not only the topper, but the entire unlined bare metal truck bed?
    Check out this 3M automotive thinsulate. It’s expensive but you shouldn’t need too much to do the topper/bed. I used it I’m my van build and it works really well. We finally got wall panels up so it’s now covered, but I spent 2 years with just it on the bare metal walls. We used 3m spray contact adhesive to attach it. White side down so the black felt back was on the inside. Like a big puffy jacket

This guy Hein out of hood river, OR is the national distributor of the stuff. He and his wife Kim are super easy to work with and helpful. I’ve ordered a handful of their products for our build. He sells a couple different thickness.

https://diyvan.com/collections/favor...or-van-and-car

I had a Bed Rug in my F150. Just Line-X and a rubber mat in my Tundra. The Bed Rug made a bid difference for warmth and sleeping in the cold. Might be something to look into.

I got an REI Camp Dreamer XL self-inflating bed. Kills two birds with one stone - I can use it in the truck and my son has something to sleep on at my studio apartment.

Do you guys use sandbags or other weights over your real axle? Working around those is a pia, but when I'm driving around town or in condition transitions they seem necessary in my full bed tacoma.

my last kit had an open spot I could put sandbags in right over the wheel wells - I put chains in there too - I carry chains for all 4

Quote Originally Posted by atree View Post
    Do you guys use sandbags or other weights over your real axle? Working around those is a pia, but when I'm driving around town or in condition transitions they seem necessary in my full bed tacoma.
    I built my f150's platform fairly heavy (2x4 frame w/ 3/4 ply) and don't use any bags, but a few over the axle would probably help. I keep a decent bit of weight in there full time though between tools, emergency kit, etc. plus the weight of the shell.

yeah even with gear in my Toyota I liked the extra weight of the sand

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    yeah even with gear in my Toyota I liked the extra weight of the sand
    always kept tube sand bags in my tundra, even with cap and gear. right next to each wheel well. You should easily be able to build into the platform since you have to build around the wheel wells anyway. just put in a system to get them out come summer

Quote Originally Posted by jpcmoriarty View Post
    Check out this 3M automotive thinsulate. It’s expensive but you shouldn’t need too much to do the topper/bed. I used it I’m my van build and it works really well. We finally got wall panels up so it’s now covered, but I spent 2 years with just it on the bare metal walls. We used 3m spray contact adhesive to attach it. White side down so the black felt back was on the inside. Like a big puffy jacket

This guy Hein out of hood river, OR is the national distributor of the stuff. He and his wife Kim are super easy to work with and helpful. I’ve ordered a handful of their products for our build. He sells a couple different thickness.

https://diyvan.com/collections/favor...or-van-and-car
    For walks and ceilings, the 3M Thinsulate is great. Spray mount with 3M 77 spray adhesive and get the Thinsulate with black scrim on one side. Don’t use it for the floor. Hein sells minicell, think neoprene like material, that works. A lot of van builds use polyiso foam board. Look for the sheet that has reflective material on it. Cover with plywood and use a rug on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone do DYI window coverings? I bought some Reflectix R-21 today and was thinking of wrapping/sewing it in 3M thinsulate, that coincidently was linked above. Then using magnets to attach to the windows. I don't think I'll be needing window coverings often, but anyone have an opinion on my plan? It seems like expensive custom window coverings basically are like my idea, But I'm completely guessing here.

Overkill? Will be good enough when 10-40 degrees out? Wrong type of Thinsulate? What am I not thinking of?

Thinsulate I'm thinking of buying: https://diyvan.com/collections/thins...or-van-and-car