Page 400 of 510 FirstFirst ... 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 ... LastLast
Results 9,976 to 10,000 of 12745
    It will still be a 1996, but I'm toying with converting the BAT Mobile to diesel. Swap the 460 gas motor for a 12 valve Cummins and then I have a Fummins.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Sometimes I think the classics are nostalgia alone, until you drive one and realize they are. 20+ year old technology, loud, slow, etc.

I thought that about my Cummins 5.9 24v, classic engine, but old, loud as hell, and 1/2 the performance of a modern truck.
    You aren't wrong. My 2012 F150 is better for my uses in almost every way. But I am a fan of less electronics and simple shit that I can fix in the field. With my 7.3 and a few common parts behind the back seat, I always felt confident that as long as she'd start, I'd make it home.

After pulling a 5th wheel all across the country for work for two years with a 5.9 Cummins I became intensely jealous of the modern quiet diesels of that era. Pulling 65-75mph in any conditions is not over rated.

I am very happy with the great fuel economy and overall low cost of operation of my '91 Dodge Cummins 5.9 12valve, 4 sp manual Getrag transmission, 160hp, 400 ft.-lbs. torque, 270k kms, owned since new. Biggest negative, as with most of these trucks, the body is rusting away around an indestructible engine.

That's the engine I want to put in my Land Cruiser. Good match to bomber chasis

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    I am very happy with the great fuel economy and overall low cost of operation of my '91 Dodge Cummins 5.9 12valve, 4 sp manual Getrag transmission, 160hp, 400 ft.-lbs. torque, 270k kms, owned since new. Biggest negative, as with most of these trucks, the body is rusting away around an indestructible engine.
    That's what happened to my 24v Cummins......

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Prices are pretty crazy. How much would you all think a gutted 18’ 83 Toyota sunrader would be with 77k miles. It could make for a good project but 10k seems steep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camp1.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	412808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camp2.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	412809

Any Western Montana mags looking for a camper for a 1/2 ton? I've had this beauty since 2008. Shes a little rough around the edges but still has lots of life left. There has been leaks in the ceiling so its not pretty but it gets it done. Not many campers floating around that come in at 1300lbs $800

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Certainly a classic engine, and a very clean vehicle.....but.....have you not driven a modern diesel? Light years more pleasurable, quiet, and absolutely no issue in a headwind, ever.

7.3 HP 216
    7.3 Torque 225

Modern diesel: double those numbers and quadruple the price
    Those are the 7.3 IDI specs, the Powerstroke was 210/425 on release in '94, later models bumped up to 275/525. You're right though for sure, modern diesels are a different world, plus better mileage and much better emissions. In terms of power, my '03 7.3 is *adequate* but far from overwhelming, and it's loud as fuck and it stinks, ha. I see longevity as it's best quality, the new ones will prolly get you that too though. Also, I'm not towing, I'd feel the squeeze a lot more if I was.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Question regarding boon docking, etc.

Have a off road teardrop that has a deep cycle battery (1 and could add another) and a converter but no inverter. So it has ac power when plugged in to car or electric source. DC (cig lighters) work when not powered and pull of battery.

Question - what would be the best option to have some sort of dependable power source (either run 2 batteries in parallel and add an inverter) or buy a Jackery/Goal Zero setup. In the past I have used a 900w inverter hooked to a separate deep cycle battery (550 cold cranking amps) for this source as well. I would be powering a laptop, charging phones, etc. The camper of course has ac and dc outlets so its wired that way but the task of wiring a permanent inverter seems daunting. Thoughts?

Does anyone own a Jackery? Really like the Explorer 290.

One more question - going to switch back to Verizon for mobile from tmobile as their hotspot, service and network is much better. Debating on buying a separate hot spot. Any thoughts there? May also grab a range extender.

Thanks for your help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffney10 View Post
    Ive got one, I think it’s that model but not sure. I like it, easy to use and does what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Gaffney—I agree that Verizon coverage is good, but they charge a lot for just having that hotspot in your rig even if you end up not using it that month.

Google Fi has a different approach—if you or someone you know has a Fi account, Google will cheerfully send you a separate SIM for your hotspot router, and will only charge for the data, if any, that goes thru that month.

AT&T and Verizon enjoy screwing over the customer. It’s their business model.

BTW if you use the signal for internet mostly, then you’ll want a MIMO dual signal antenna. If you mostly place phone calls, you’ll want a booster like the cylinders you see sticking up from Sprinters at the Starbucks. Most Sprinter owners don’t know or understand that effective internet speed is a function of S/N ratio, so a signal booster isn’t necessarily a benefit whereas MIMO can be.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

You need to calculate the entire electrical load for the period you're boondocking and then decide how much battery capacity you need keeping in mind the limitations of each type of battery and the loss (~20%) using an inverter.

I would also consider (2) 6v golf cart batteries before adding a 2nd 12v or perhaps even lithium batteries.

Or get a 1000w honda generator to keep your present setup charged and have every eventuality covered.

I was thinking about building a Li battery from cells but learned recently that the cost of assembled ones has dropped significantly. For a small trailer the weight difference compared with 200AH of lead acid (100#+) is probably worth it. With a 300W solar panel you'd be effectively self sufficient unless your loads are substantial.

Hardwiring an inverter is not difficult. Use a remote switch so that it's only turned on when you need it. Also be sure that you either manually unplug it or otherwise ensure it's not connected to the AC wiring if you do plug the trailer directly into shore power. I never use shore power so my system is 100% stand alone.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Have a off road teardrop that has a deep cycle battery (1 and could add another) and a converter but no inverter. So it has ac power when plugged in to car or electric source. DC (cig lighters) work when not powered and pull of battery.

Question - what would be the best option to have some sort of dependable power source (either run 2 batteries in parallel and add an inverter) or buy a Jackery/Goal Zero setup. In the past I have used a 900w inverter hooked to a separate deep cycle battery (550 cold cranking amps) for this source as well. I would be powering a laptop, charging phones, etc. The camper of course has ac and dc outlets so its wired that way but the task of wiring a permanent inverter seems daunting. Thoughts?

One more question - going to switch back to Verizon for mobile from tmobile as their hotspot, service and network is much better. Debating on buying a separate hot spot. Any thoughts there? May also grab a range extender.

Thanks for your help!!!
    Charging phones using 5V USB running off 12V via a cigarette socket or direct wired wastes far less energy in stepping down the voltage than plugging a household 120V USB power source into an inverter converting 12V DC to 120VAC and then back to 5V DC. Get one of those multi-usb strips that connect to a 12V source for that.

We used to charge our laptops using a cheap inverter that plugs into a 12V cigarette lighter socket. That might work for you depending on how much power your charger draws. It overloaded sometimes even just charging one, so I wired in a permanent inverter with 2 outlet sockets. It's super easy to do. For my trailer setup I just mounted the inverter to the floor under one of the dinette benches and cut a hole in the side of the bench so the sockets would be accessible. The electrical part of the install is 2 larger gauge wires running to the battery and that's it.
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

Thanks for your help!!!
    If the only AC device you are looking to charge is a laptop and it’s USB-C then you can skip the inverter altogether. Satechi makes a 12v adapter that will put out 60w which is enough to keep up with charging most systems even if you are doing something fairly energy intensive. Or a lower wattage output will charge a laptop fine, if a little slow, when the computer is not in use. I keep an inverter wired up and powered off for emergency use, but never travel with any AC devices and don’t see a need to wire it into the AC outlets.

why do you need a cell phone and internet in the great outdoors I mean leave that shit to the wall mart parking lot camping ya know

and can someone calculate my load for me to tell me what batteries I need seems my cheapo way about things didn't work out not sure why I listened to my electrician what the fuck does he know and I can only get 3 hrs on my oxgen concentrator before it sucks that shit dry looking at buying a nice 12v and battery and 120 combo machine but that will set me back 3k so many decisions but my mom texted me last nite and told me my dad is suppose to call me to talk about giving me more money so maybe I can end up with a baller machine and enough batteries to power a subway train

#vanlifeproblems

Mix a little meth in w the weed so it sharpens you up a bit Fred.

whose got a cb radio? fuck in the internet ya know
    about to dump 30 or 40k today I'm not happy I hate paying bills

I have one in my truck but it stopped working and I haven't chased down the gremlins yet to figure it out. I thought about one for the van but the antenna needs for such a large hunk of metal would be a nightmare. Truck with a fiberglass camper would be a little easier I think.
    I think I've talked to a total of one other person on it in 10 years, driving out of the Uinta mountains after a hunt, got on comms to pass a slow moving truck filled with lumber, that was the extend. Mostly use it to listen to truckers when I'm bored on long solo night drives.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

My CB has come in handy many times.

#lotlizzardlife
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    why do you need a cell phone and internet in the great outdoors I mean leave that shit to the wall mart parking lot camping ya know

and can someone calculate my load for me to tell me what batteries I need seems my cheapo way about things didn't work out not sure why I listened to my electrician what the fuck does he know and I can only get 3 hrs on my oxgen concentrator before it sucks that shit dry looking at buying a nice 12v and battery and 120 combo machine but that will set me back 3k so many decisions but my mom texted me last nite and told me my dad is suppose to call me to talk about giving me more money so maybe I can end up with a baller machine and enough batteries to power a subway train

#vanlifeproblems
    Some people can't take weekdays off, so if they want to get away, they still need to be somewhat connected.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220416-190147.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	625.2 KB 
ID:	413428

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post

you should be able to figure it out with a cell phone and internet
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.