Page 223 of 510 FirstFirst ... 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,575 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    Nice 100! I'm picking up a set of drawers next week for my 80 to do a similar setup for nights in the snopark to avoid Crystal traffic.
    I'm guessing the wood stove helps avoid condensation inside? I've never liked sleeping inside rigs previously cause of that. Nothing like ice on the inside of the windshield.
    I'm toying with the idea of a mr buddy heater and cracking a window or two but wonder if I'll make the news for "dumbass suffocates in car"
    Propane heat is easy, but wet. Wood is a nice, dry heat with a 50 cal ammo can woodstove in a metal toolbox as a heat shield, mounted to the seat bracket and lined with firebricks. Double walled 3" stainless pellet stove chimney parts. Combination of wood and BBQ briquettes for fuel depending on desired length of burn and desired output. Small space doesn't take much to heat up... I usually crack a window because it gets too warm. Passenger seat moves forward and tilts upright to provide clearance and room for drying small gear. The whole system is easily removed/portable and goes in my boat in the non-snow months. It was a fun little novelty project that turns out to work quite well.

Tupperware totes instead of drawers for variety of gear storage under the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Propane heat is easy, but wet. Wood is a nice, dry heat with a 50 cal ammo can woodstove in a metal toolbox as a heat shield, mounted to the seat bracket and lined with firebricks. Double walled 3" stainless pellet stove chimney parts. Combination of wood and BBQ briquettes for fuel depending on desired length of burn and desired output. Small space doesn't take much to heat up... I usually crack a window because it gets too warm. Passenger seat moves forward and tilts upright to provide clearance and room for drying small gear. The whole system is easily removed/portable and goes in my boat in the non-snow months. It was a fun little novelty project that turns out to work quite well.

Tupperware totes instead of drawers for variety of gear storage under the platform.
    I like it. I'm gonna have to look into building something like this further down the road with my cruiser build.

The firebrick and tote are enough insulation from the stove to keep carpet/surrounding stuff from melting?
    What did you use for the vent in the window opening? Hard to tell from the photo/short description

That time of year again...

Propane heat is easy, but wet. Wood is a nice, dry heat
    This assumption is a fallacy. Water vapor is a byproduct of combustion.

I usually crack a window because it gets too warm.
    And there's your explanation for why wood is assumed to be "dry". By overheating your space and allowing hot damp air to be exhausted out the window or chimney, cool dry air is drawn into the living area. You can achieve the same result by cranking your propane heater and cracking a window.

Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    I like it. I'm gonna have to look into building something like this further down the road with my cruiser build.

The firebrick and tote are enough insulation from the stove to keep carpet/surrounding stuff from melting?
    What did you use for the vent in the window opening? Hard to tell from the photo/short description
    Yes, the outside of the metal toolbox with the firebrick inside never gets too hot to touch. Double walled chimney helps keep surface temps of the piping down as well. Stove thermometer is good to keep track of output and not overcook things.

Window vent pass through for the chimney is 1/4" plywood which is just flexible enough to bend with edges bevelled to fit in the window frame tracks and a silicone metal roof gasket for the pipe to pass through.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post

And there's your explanation for why wood is assumed to be "dry". By overheating your space and allowing hot damp air to be exhausted out the window or chimney, cool dry air is drawn into the living area. You can achieve the same result by cranking your propane heater and cracking a window.
    I agree. If you can channel propane heat exhaust outside effectively (direct vent), no problem. A Mr. Buddy heater doesn't do that. My hot, damp wood exhaust is well contained and sent outside up the chimney.

My next step would be to construct a dedicated external/"cold" air intake for my woodstove so it would be a closed combustion system.
    Last edited by singlecross; 01-17-2020 at 12:57 PM.

no woodstove, dining room or shower...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200113_134852.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	311191

I think I'll stick with the <$200 Chinese diesel Eberspacher clone, which doesn't use interior air for combustion and does a great job at drying things out. Why anyone would create a mini wood stove for a car, and then have to carry fuel and risk burning themselves to a crisp & running out of O2, plus not being able to run it at night, is beyond my comprehension.

Sent from my LG-US998 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I think I'll stick with the <$200 Chinese diesel Eberspacher clone, which doesn't use interior air for combustion and does a great job at drying things out. Why anyone would create a mini wood stove for a car, and then have to carry fuel and risk burning themselves to a crisp & running out of O2, plus not being able to run it at night, is beyond my comprehension.

I guess I value a non-permanent install that doesn't have any moving parts, electrical requirements, or liquid fuel that can spill or leak. FWIW, I only run it at night... banked down it easily burns 4-6 hours. But I've got love for all kinds and am glad you like your diesel heater.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post

Thank you for keeping the Chinese economy rolling...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post

110 muthafuckin percent bro. Preach!

Vapor drive, bitches.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Platforms in SUV/wagons are great for quick weekend strike missions in the Winter but you're not living back there for an extended time IMHO. Securing the platform so it won't shift or move, especially during an accident is key. Turnbuckles work well. Skis in the roof pod along with the food bag, it's a good refrigerator in the winter! Woodstove makes it cozy, but not needed until the low 20's F. Vents out the window with a board/gasket that fits in the window tracks.

Simple, but so far so good.
    i like this alot....pic of the window filling/vent piece available?

wonder how this setup would fair in a highlander....im after the 28mpg...

ive got a good rig built out of a f250 crew cab but no room for heat like that and dismal mpg...altho if carrying sled...mpg doesnt matter to me
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

fwiw pyro - we did the buddy heater for a bit before the espar and it was not that helpful.
    had to keep enough ventilation going for health that I felt the heat was pretty much negated. and in the car camping no need to limit yourself to a low temp sleeping bag- you are car camping- go big with a heavy down etc and skip the little buddy brain cell killer imo
    I'd rather go that woodstove route for nighttime
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    i like this alot....pic of the window filling/vent piece available?
    Yes, here you go. Very basic construction (90 minutes/3 beers rating)but vehicle probably needs to have full frames around the windows. I have not made one for a frameless auto window.

Make a template with cardboard and box cutters. Cut out on thin plywood. Bevel the edges of the plywood (I did this with a corded drill and a Roloc sanding disc). Hole saw for pipe. Attach silicone flashing gasket with some #4 small stainless screws. Paint black on outside to blend in. I kept the inside raw to monitor if there was any issue of heat/charring on the plywood.

Link to high temp silicone roof gasket (can be sourced locally)
    https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Flex...851084214&th=1

Mine currently has a basic rubber gasket which I had on hand. I will replace with high temp silicone gasket when needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4206.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	311419   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4211.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	311420   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4208.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	311421   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4213.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	994.5 KB 
ID:	311422   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4212.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	311423  

^that is so wicked. does it just sit in window with pressure of glass from bottom , and or did you tongue and grove it so notch inserts at top and grove at bottom for glass to occupy
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by charlesj View Post
    no woodstove, dining room or shower...

Name:	IMG_20200113_134852.jpg 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	311191
    this set up reminds me of one of my very early rigs where i was between back seat and trunk thru rear seat fold down pass thru...i hated my setup because i did not have the benefit as you with the smooth bed surface...there was a threshold in subies between rear seat and trunk and it really messed with the sleeping..also the trunk half always felt a lot colder....real or perceived...never was sure...

all of these car and suv rigs suffer from lack of crank windows ...i always wanted to be able to manually control windows for moisture, etc...but trying to stick the key in ignition from back made u have to emerge from warm sleeping bag caccon
    www.freeridesystems.com

^that is so wicked. does it just sit in window with pressure of glass from bottom , and or did you tongue and grove it so notch inserts at top and grove at bottom for glass to occupy
    I thought I might have to tongue and groove (or some other flashing system) the bottom, but the pressure of the glass holds it in/up very securely. No water or snowmelt leakage either which is nice.

Yes! to the pain in the ass electric window dance. I'm thinking of making another plywood insert for the other rear window with a manual sliding vent system like a rally/race car window.

Singlecross, that thing is fucking cool. Makes me want to build one for my truck topper setup.

I thought I might have to tongue and groove (or some other flashing system) the bottom, but the pressure of the glass holds it in/up very securely. No water or snowmelt leakage either which is nice.

Yes! to the pain in the ass electric window dance. I'm thinking of making another plywood insert for the other rear window with a manual sliding vent system like a rally/race car window.
    yeah , just seeing your window vent made me think about trying to cobble together some kind of small slider window
    www.freeridesystems.com

Name:	IMG_1181.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	412.2 KB 
ID:	311677

Someone is camped out with my dream rig. 7.3, crew cab, utility bed, bigfoot. Probably a damn Ikon pass holder too.

Yep, I've had that dream, too.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    I am very pleased with this boot dryer.
    DryGuy

Attachment 311059
    I'm on my second set. First set lasted around seven seasons. I still have the first set in the garage and may splice the wires and get it working again. Meanwhile, I figured a second set would be nice with multiple sets of boots to dry.

Tips:
    The sheath will fray just below the thicker part. So if you roll them up when not in use, try to not roll as tightly right at the ends.

I concur with adrenalated that they don't put out enough heat to soften shells at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post

Name:	IMG_1181.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	412.2 KB 
ID:	311677

Someone is camped out with my dream rig. 7.3, crew cab, utility bed, bigfoot. Probably a damn Ikon pass holder too.
    that could be a 6.0 which you do not want....evah
    www.freeridesystems.com

that could be a 6.0 which you do not want....evah
    It had the black fender badges which mean 7.3. I was creepin' hard lol.

Just say no to the 6.0.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    It had the black fender badges which mean 7.3. I was creepin' hard lol.

Just say no to the 6.0.
    haha

exactly 6.0=bad
    www.freeridesystems.com

Seen today at Alpental.

RHD, solid front axle Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200121_113605.jpeg 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	311842