Page 212 of 508 FirstFirst ... 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 ... LastLast
Results 5,276 to 5,300 of 12697
    Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    How come more trucks don't have the rear window lower all the way like the Tundra? How come the Tundra has such terrible payload? Seems like a truck with a slide-in camper would be a great option, especially if the dogs could sleep in the cab and we could crawl back and forth without having to go outside (wife and I are both compact enough to crawl through a window if needed).
    That's what vans are for...

Yes, we got a campervan this summer. It's awesome...except for ground clearance. And the RWD (Ford Transit) will probably be terrifying in snow this winter. Trucks have good ground clearance, won't rattle apart on dirt roads, have 4wd and, with a full back seat, seat belts for 5 (we recently expanded to needing at least 3 seatbelts - baby girl loves #vanlife, but wants bigger tires. Probably. I don't know what she thinks, she's only 4 months old).

Quote Originally Posted by bonewrenched View Post
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto...014199906.html

4wd, insulated box, diesel, Canadian...
    This is a cool platform. Would be alright do a conversion and throw in a newer 4bt cummins or something alike.
    Also..you could just buy a Ford box van, 4x4 conversion it and call it a day..same price and have the same thing basically just newer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    This is a cool platform. Would be alright do a conversion and throw in a newer 4bt cummins or something alike.
    Also..you could just buy a Ford box van, 4x4 conversion it and call it a day..same price and have the same thing basically just newer.
    Yeah a swap would be cool.

Also noted that while this popped up in a CA Craigslist, the truck is in Canada and I have no idea how hard it would be to register it in CA.

I think box truck conversions are neat

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    That feature is only available on the CC tundra, which has an essentially useless 5.5' bed.
    Unless of course you buy an older model. My 06 has full back window and a 6'5" bed

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

PSA for anyone out west who wants to try out RV-ing for cheap -- before committing to buying anything, or paying for an expensive rental, how does $1 per day sound?

https://www.secretflying.com/posts/a...o0GNGN73ZYCljg
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I am tempted by this... Any comments?
    https://providence.craigslist.org/ct...015455743.html

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    I am tempted by this... Any comments?
    https://providence.craigslist.org/ct...015455743.html

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    If the plan is to make it a dedicated camper, not being able to stand up straight would get old.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Attachment 301689
    Saw this bad ass EarthRoamer parked in Galena today. Thing is a monster, mounted on a F550 chassis.
    This is actually my rig...I sold my van and bought this rig used. I was working out some kinks at the local Home Depot on it's maiden voyage (for me). There are 2 more in the area - if you pay attention going up Mt. Rose highway you can see one of them

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    ^^^ Saw that one, or a very similar one, up at Winter Park last season.

Beast.
    Possible - I bought it from a guy in SW Colorado, but seeing as Winter Park is kind of far away from that and right near Earthroamer mecca (Dacono / front range) it's more likely it was someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    very stealth
    Definitely not stealth. The van with big tires, bumpers, and pop-top was not exactly stealth either but this is on a different level. You obviously trade off stealth for some comfort/convenience factors with this rig (or any rig).

Quote Originally Posted by apex dave View Post
    On a similar but more expensive note, get a decent used Class C (Big Foot, Triple E, Travelaire) with a Super Duty 450 chassis and convert it to 4x4. $10,000 Canadian for the conversion including a 5" lift. Unlike the Earthroamer you can go from front to back.
    https://www.sportsman4x4.com/clydesd...60-conversion/
    Do you mean a pass-through? All the ERs have a pass-through.

Also, I would be surprised if you could do a quality 4x4 conversion on one of those rigs for $10k. You can check the more popular conversion shops in the US: U-joint, Agile, Quigley, etc. but I think they start at about $12-15k and go up from there, depending on your options.

There are still some significant differences between taking an RV that was made for pavement and converting to 4x4 and how ER builds are done. One of the biggest will be what real world percentage of GVWR rating those rigs operate at. Something like 95% of them are near or over the GVWR when loaded with fuel, water, and gear. That means they struggle up hills and over-tax every component on the rig all the time: motor, brakes, tires, suspension, etc....now put that on a rutted out, washboard road for 50 miles?

Quote Originally Posted by Kailua_Boys View Post
    Earthroamers are for people who can drop super car money on a toy and it won't phase them.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Not necessarily, and that's definitely not me. Maybe the brand new ones but you can buy a used one from the dealer (~25-30% premium over private party) for the price of a high-end Sprinter

https://earthroamer.com/pre-owned/pre-owned-43/

Now they guy I bought mine from...yes that could be him. But there are many owners who spend a good chunk of their net worth on one and use it accordingly

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    My 2004 F-250 with a beater Northland camper all in for $12000 can do the same things as his $180000 mortgage sucker.
    Doubtful...now you may not need/want those things but like anything, you get what you pay for. I have the pair of Fritschi Freerides I started touring on 15yrs ago and they do the same thing as my Dynafit Radical 2.0's right? Kind of, but not really I think the big misconception is people see the super pimped-out finishes and think that's all it is, but the reality is most of the cost is in the stuff you can't see - camper construction, dually conversion, frame, tanks, insulation, suspension, electrical systems, hydronic systems, etc.... The guys at Expedition Portal did a write up on what they actually do during the build process, and it's pretty crazy:

https://expeditionportal.com/to-build-an-earthroamer/

Can you live without all that? Of course you can

Hey, sierraskier, I am completely jealous of you and your rig. Well done. I need inspiration like that to keep my nose pushed to the grindstone.

Where the fuck do you park something that big?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    You just take up 2 spots like he did in the picture.

Haha none of us were expecting the owner of the earthroamer to show up in this thread. FKNA nice rig sierraskier!

Sierraskier with the mic drop.

Sick rig, please keep sharing your travels, mods and thoughts.

Dude who owns earthroamer casually drops in to provide retort.

God I love TGR

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    This is actually my rig..

What's up rich guy!

If I see that thing in a parking lot, I'm pulling my sled inna back o' that bitch!!!

Nice work dude. AKbruin said you'd bought something nuts. He wasn't kidding.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    What's up rich guy!

If I see that thing in a parking lot, I'm pulling my sled inna back o' that bitch!!!

Nice work dude. AKbruin said you'd bought something nuts. He wasn't kidding.
    Ha, you still live here?? Rich guy... you mean working stiff. Definitely won't be squeezing into any winter turnouts in this thing...but hopefully some extended powder missions outside of Tahoe...with sled. Since AKbruin started doing trail runs that are 4x the distance/vertical of our average tour I'm gonna have to find someone human I can tour with...let's get out there this season!

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    My house.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Ha, you still live here?? Rich guy... you mean working stiff. Definitely won't be squeezing into any winter turnouts in this thing...but hopefully some extended powder missions outside of Tahoe...with sled. Since AKbruin started doing trail runs that are 4x the distance/vertical of our average tour I'm gonna have to find someone human I can tour with...let's get out there this season!
    I'm definitely fat and out of shape compared to him so I will happily ram my much cheaper truck into some snowbanks to help you park. And then fart in your hermetically sealed honky box.

Get in touch. I do in fact live here. Just hiding in the trees from the alterra/vail apocalypse.

Nice find man, that thing looks sweet
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

...but hopefully some extended powder missions outside of Tahoe...
    Bring that monster up to a pnw mini. King Camper amongst the dumpy band of moss flossers.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=330468

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Just hiding in the trees from the alterra/vail apocalypse.
    Pockets of resistance, rubies in the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Bring that monster up to a pnw mini. King Camper amongst the dumpy band of moss flossers.

I need to make that happen, that looks/sounds awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Pockets of resistance, rubies in the sand.
    Sounds like a challenge...

Maybe if I sell my ski soul.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Actual King camper of Lot 4... Custom made oversized tundra and NL... So large that my kid looked like a mere ant while standing on the roof.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post

Maybe if I sell my ski soul.
    I'll never live that one down.

Nah, I actually think that may have been the last time.

I did look at a Host Cascade the other day and thought of you. But I don't think I'm gonna try to pull that off with single rear wheels. No one told me my kid was going to grow 3-4 inches in a year!

I think it might be a fun project to build a DIY Tiger out of the cheapest bigfoot/NL and cheapest reasonably reliable truck I could find. Anyone know anyone who's done that and not regretted it? With the right adhesives and rubber, what could go wrong?