Page 54 of 508 FirstFirst ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 12697
    Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post
    Who out there has extensive experience with an Olympian Wave 3 heater at altitude in cold winter conditions? We just got one to use as an alternative to our forced air heater in our Six Pac truck camper to cut down on battery drain and noise while sleeping.

I'm wondering how much venting is safe, do folks generally run them all night, are folks having to also use their forced air furnace to stay warm in sub-0 temps?
    They suck at real altitude. What more do you want to know? Get some solar and make friends with your propane heater. What rig? What altitude? I run high and don't have a single problem staying very toasty.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    They suck at real altitude. What more do you want to know? Get some solar and make friends with your propane heater. What rig? What altitude? I run high and don't have a single problem staying very toasty.
    Solar doesn't do much for you when you're traveling during storm cycles. We carry a Honda 2000 which runs our boot dryers, electric blanket, mattress pad heater, coffee maker and keeps our 2 golf cart batteries topped off. We use our camper for area and bc skiing trips at altitudes from 9,000 to 11,000 feet- Wolf Creek, Silverton, Taos, West Elks...

The interest in the wave 3 is to maintain a warm inside temp without the noise of the forced air furnace and to reduce our genny time. We have a Six Pac truck camper on a pick up. We've made reflec-tex window coverings and put reflec-tex under all the pads and bed. Last year on a 9 day trip the night temps were from -15 to -20 at night and we were cozy- but we had the Honda running all night using an oil radiant space heater. I built a foam insulated box that covers the genny to quiet it and keep the snow off it and it does help- just looking to dial our system out.

Posted my experiences earlier. I did 3 months last year in a livin lite hard sided truck camper. My wave 3 catalytic was useless above 8k feet. Just could not keep up with real cold at altitude. Forced air is the way to go and helps in dealing with condensation which was a total nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorymaz View Post
    Need help with any suggestions on a cup holder strategy for a van we camp in.

Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post
    Who out there has extensive experience with an Olympian Wave 3 heater at altitude in cold winter conditions? We just got one to use as an alternative to our forced air heater in our Six Pac truck camper to cut down on battery drain and noise while sleeping.

I'm wondering how much venting is safe, do folks generally run them all night, are folks having to also use their forced air furnace to stay warm in sub-0 temps?
    I use a Wave 3 in the SkiBumMobile. It is, by itself, too small to be the only heater in the 21' rig, but I don't have a setup that would work with a Wave 6. I light the heater when I arrive. It stays lit 24/7 until I leave for home, unless I am driving to the Inn. At night, I move it on top of the table, pointing at the bed area. (I had a 6' hose made for me, but 7' would have been better. I installed a brass quick-disconnect with a ball valve, and have a spare male adapter setup as a travel plug. The 90 degree swivel adapter at the heater is also good.)

For venting, I leave the round vent above the bath area open. That, combined with the leaky 27 year old coach, works for me. A Wave 6 would probably need more.

I have had the CO alarm wake me, when snow on the roof closed off the vent. Lesson learned. Be sure to have an alarm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03-17-12_KW RV lot.jpg 
Views:	653 
Size:	930.2 KB 
ID:	143050

I camp regularly at 7,800' and have had no altitude related problems with either heater. The main heater will still run off & on through the night. My little battery will make it through a night above 15 degrees. Below that, I run the generator. The Honda 1000 is pretty quiet. I use about one gallon of propane per day. Bella and I stay warm.
    Condensation on the vent domes was a Serious problem until I installed the MaxAir covers. They hold the snow off of the domes, so hardly any condensation there now.

Good Luck!
    and

Let it Snow!

camping in parking lots.... Go figure
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1384124352.890763.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	144323   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1384124371.158954.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	144324   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1384124382.655230.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	144325  
    Last edited by maddog; 04-26-2014 at 03:07 PM.
    Don't ask.... Don't tele

Steal!!!
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Joining the ranks!

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Joining the ranks!

Noice!!! I'm thinking that this might be a better set-up than the Land Cruiser and a Class B. How does the Tundra do with the topper?

The Tundra does... ok. Better than I thought it would without suspension modifications, but the camper is right at the payload limit of the truck. The placard by the door says 660kg (1450lb) dry, which puts the bed about an inch off the stock bumpstops.

At some point in the future I'd like to make a complete suspension upgrade with Old Man Emu springs and shocks, but I need to save some pennies first. I have some Timbrens that I plan on installing in the next few days, which I think will help a lot (and might actually negate the need for the fancy aftermarket setup).

Anyone out there have recommendations on roof sealants? I have a slow leak around the forward skylight / escape hatch.

Also, any tips on winterizing an insulated fiberglass rig like this? I'd like to have water in the system to use for dishes etc, but I'm afraid of freezing up during a long drive or a particularly cold night in a ski hill parking lot. I'm fine with flushing all fluids for the winter, but I'd rather not if I can get around it.

I need some braintrust power here. My dad recently passed away and he had an old Ford with a slide in. We are going to take a couple trips next summer for all time's sake and then my mom is probably going to let go of it. She offered to give it to me and it would be cool to have but I don't have a place to park it really, especially not indoors and I would feel bad parking it curbside given it's condition. Plus it's 2wd and has a 460 with 3 spd C6 so mileage isn't that great. Need to know how to price it and if there is a good place to sell other than CL and craigslist. I think we'll look for some type of camper van for her with the cash. Here's the deal.

1976 Ford F250 Camper Special. 2wd, 460, C6 with between 50-70k original miles. My g-pa bought it new in 76. My dad bought it from him in the early 90s with about 17k on the clock. It's been stored inside for most of it's life. All the rubber, belts and seals have been maintained over the years as has the routine maintenance. The slide in camper (can't remember manufacturer) was bought new in 76 as well. It's got dual batteries in the truck and house in the camper. Queen bed, table that makes another bed, propane fridge, stove, and water heater. All the pumps, hoses and electrical have been updated as needed over the years. Just a little chemical toilet that's hardly been used. Plenty of cupboards and storage. It's been in the family since new. Imagine this except just off the dealer lot so mint and slightly darker brown two-tone with the tan. This pic was just the closest I could find on google image.

If it made sense in any way to keep it, we would. Don't need the money but I think it would be cool for my old retired mums to buy a 2wd Ford Sportsmobile with the proceeds and tour the coast. She could kick in extra if needed and supports that idea. I know old Fords like this go for $1-2kish on CL here and old slide ins for another $500-$2k but they always seem very rough and beat up at that age. If that's all she could get out of it, I think I would keep it just because. Any thoughts?

Don't say just keep...I've got plenty of keepsakes and things that have been in the family for a lot longer plus I already built an offroad trailer with pop-up tent that works for my type of camping better.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6080169.jpg 
Views:	1898 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	144537  

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    The Tundra does... ok. Better than I thought it would without suspension modifications, but the camper is right at the payload limit of the truck. The placard by the door says 660kg (1450lb) dry, which puts the bed about an inch off the stock bumpstops.

At some point in the future I'd like to make a complete suspension upgrade with Old Man Emu springs and shocks, but I need to save some pennies first. I have some Timbrens that I plan on installing in the next few days, which I think will help a lot (and might actually negate the need for the fancy aftermarket setup).
    Interesting. I thought the Tundras were a bit more heavy duty than the run of the mill half ton truck.
    Report back when you think of on the Timbrens. I'm curious.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why wouldn't Mum just use this instead of putting $$$$ in a Sportsmobile?

Conundrum: A Sportsmobile or any Class B rig is expensive new and hold their value pretty well used. Your mum will either need to kick in a lot or buy an old one with mystery repair history.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why wouldn't Mum just use this instead of putting $$$$ in a Sportsmobile?
    Insert mom joke but she's old, arthritic, and has back issues so climbing up into the cabover bed isn't going to be an option in the next year or two. That's where a Sportsmobile with the bed in the back would be nice for her. The pop-top isn't even necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    Conundrum: A Sportsmobile or any Class B rig is expensive new and hold their value pretty well used. Your mum will either need to kick in a lot or buy an old one with mystery repair history.
    I'm pretty familiar with the pricing...probably 5 or so years old. Not thinking selling the pickup would cover, just go towards the cost of the class B. She's selling her too big of house and 30 acres to downsize to a cabin somewhere cool, a condo in town with a two car garage for the van and her car, and a camper van to spend time looking at the ocean. Oh, she can't back a trailer and doesn't want to learn so not an option.

I'm really just trying to see what would be fair for the '76 and if there's a place like TGR for old camper coots where someone might appreciate the condition of the Ford and spend a little more for that.

Someone will buy it just because it is all in such good shape and well taken care of, but a nearly 40 year old slide in camper isn't going to add much, if any value, to the deal IMO. It may even turn off people interested in just the truck.

Someone will definitely be interested in the truck, mostly because old trucks are awesome, but your not going to get rich selling it either. Craigslist and the like is going to get you the most exposure and your never going to get enough to money to cover the sentiment of it.

Ditch the camper on the closest ski bum and keep the old truck up at the new cabin located somewhere cool would be my move.

Funny, thought about how cool the pickup would look in front of an old cabin.

My new dig, got this puppy for $400; needs a little work but should be a good project till the snow gets a bit deeper. ANybody know if add airbags, if I can still add a leaf later without replacing them?

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Funny, thought about how cool the pickup would look in front of an old cabin.
    have you looked into converting it to 4x4? since it's in such good shape and you don't have any money in it maybe it'd make sense and then hang on to it for a home away from home?

sorry about your dad.

Probably won't convert it to 4x4. It's about 95% perfect in stock condition. I'd feel bad tearing into just so I could go beat it up in the woods. My dad also had a beater Nissan he drove around for projects and to and from work. Maybe we'll put that at the cabin and I'll put a bigger gate in so we can park the camper here off street. Also still considering selling it. Maybe staging the old Ford at the cabin and getting a 7.3 4x4 for the under the camper for me. There is no urgency in any of these decisions. Nothing will probably happen until next August.

Those Toyota Sunraiders are sweet but demand a pretty penny. Natty on TGR has one I believe and his is the ultimate if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Interesting. I thought the Tundras were a bit more heavy duty than the run of the mill half ton truck.
    Report back when you think of on the Timbrens. I'm curious.
    I run timbrens on my tundra with a northstar truck camper and couldn't be happier. Other than e rated tires, no other modifications and I love it. The setup has been up, down and over the Sierra more times than I can count. Here we are at Mt. Lassen:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	533.6 KB 
ID:	144743
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

[QUOTE=kona12;4107237]I run timbrens on my tundra with a northstar truck camper and couldn't be happier. Other than e rated tires, no other modifications and I love it. The setup has been up, down and over the Sierra more times than I can count.

I used to use airbags on my Tacoma and ended up busting them every other trip ($$, hassle, swearing, etc.). Now I use Timbrens and carry some obscenely heavy loads with no issues whatsoever. I highly recommend Timbrens.
    Don't ask.... Don't tele

Build this little guy a couple months ago...fully insulated, plus -20 bag...good to go no matter what

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Love the bumper!