Page 16 of 510 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    The tour rolls on...

To you guys that tow... how is towing in the snow and ice? Just chain up the trailer and drive slow? Is there anything more to it? Do you get hassled by chain control?
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Our new setup:

[IMG][/IMG]

2000 GMC Sierra 2500 3/4-ton longbed extended cab 4x4 truck, 6.0L gas V8, with 2007 Northstar TC800 pop-up camper. Camper has a queen bed over the cab, furnace, water heater, outside shower, 30 gal. fresh water tank, 3-way fridge w/ freezer, sink, 3-burner propane stove w/ oven, 110/12V converter, etc. No toilet, no black or gray tanks = exactly what we wanted. The only thing I want to change on it is to replace the single 12V deep cycle battery (smallish) with two 6V golf cart batteries, for lots of electrical capacity.

Bike rack on the back also doubles as a laundry drying rack, hence all the swimsuits on it in the photo.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

SAw this one for sale on Craigslist. $23000

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bn...519867119.html
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Ah man that Canadian is sweet for an RV from 1989. Too bad it can't be brought south of the border.

Aw bummer on the RHD. :-(

OTOH, isn't one of boltonoutlaw's Chinooks (which one? both?) available for a similar amount?

I'm starting to think Chinooks are a better choice than a truck camper (except I guess truck campers can be removed from the truck temporarily which is nice for an extended stay/storage).

Rocking an 84' Ford Econoline E-150 conversion van, pics soon to come. In the middle of major reno's on it, prepping for fulltiming starting this winter. Gonna be rigging up a solar system, propane and a custom interior.

Places I've camped out:

Banff, AB - Greyhound Bus Depot parking lot - careful though, Banff is pretty heat score lately.

Canmore, AB - Walmart, Safeway, tucked away in the residential areas.

Lake Louise, AB - Tucked away in the staff village B-)

I'll keep it updated as the season starts up.

Quote Originally Posted by udp88 View Post
    OTOH, isn't one of boltonoutlaw's Chinooks (which one? both?) available for a similar amount?
    It's in VT: http://burlington.craigslist.org/rvs/2536213876.html
    Photo album of vehicle FS: http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...K%20CONCOURSE/
    Ongoing records: http://fltlndr.blogspot.com/

Search Jaxed/Mash RV: Concourse

Any thoughts on starting a diesel in very cold parking lots? I sure would like a Sprinter van for the size and mpg
    picador

Quote Originally Posted by jon gaper View Post
    Any thoughts on starting a diesel in very cold parking lots? I sure would like a Sprinter van for the size and mpg
    Fit it with a block and coolant heater and hook it up to a genny in the morning.

Thx, boltonoutlaw. Why the concourse over the other types of Chinook? You know if there are any built on top of a 4wd platform out there?

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    The tour rolls on...

Recent photo? How was bachelor? Still some long runs to be had it looks like, maybe continuous snow from summit to the top of sunrise.
    Sweet van too.

Thx, boltonoutlaw. Why the concourse over the other types of Chinook? You know if there are any built on top of a 4wd platform out there?
    There are some factory-installed (Quigley [PA]) 4x4 Chinook Baja models out there, and some aftermarket (Quadvan [OR]) 4x4 conversions. A 2002 Baja with 45k miles listed at 50000 in Valencia, CA in June. Not sure if it sold. A 2001 Baja Quigley conversion with 54k miles sold for 36500 in Woodburn, OR back in June. My 32K bid on eBay fell short. Quadvan loosely quoted me $16000 to convert my rig, elsewhere 5-10K might cover it, depending on specs. At that price though, an older slide-in camper on a newer 4x4 truck looks attractive. Arctic Fox if you can get one cheap, but they are the best for winter, so they are spendy.

Modern Chinooks came in four flavors: Premier, Concourse, Destiny, Glacier. The latter two are 24' luxury units with slide-outs. Never less than 50000 on the used market. The Premier & Concourse are 21' units, the former a stripped-version of the latter. The 2000 Chinook Concourse XL is considered the apex model of the Trail Wagons production line history.

Great info, thanks bolton!

Don't have a proper RV...but I logged 60 days in the back of my trailblazer..mostly as the loaf. 4" memory foam (shitty) mattress topper + a decent mummy bag = plenty of warmth and comfort. Got a spa pass for SL so got amenities far beyond any motel in my price range.. opened up a new world of logging more days

This is quite a decent price for a diesel Sprinter Sportsmobile:
    http://reno.craigslist.org/rvs/2539230633.html
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    This is quite a decent price for a diesel Sprinter Sportsmobile:
    http://reno.craigslist.org/rvs/2539230633.html
    maybe.
    but after doing a lot of research on sprinters,that kind of mileage without impeccable records and a lot of luck is asking for expensive trouble.
    there have been conversions with 30-40 miles around for high 20's(very few) and up .I found a 2005 with 40,000 for mid 30's and better workmanship than sports.
    picador

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    For those looking for a 4x4 Sunrader:
    I am bidding, so please don't blow this up further ElC. TIA
    Last edited by boltonoutlaw; 08-23-2011 at 01:53 PM.

I'll delete it now, sorry about that.

Thanks El C!

I have spent many nights in BC ski parking lots. We were using this rig

and it worked out great. But there are three of us plus a dog. Kinda cramped, sometimes we stay up to a week.

So we just bought this:

Hopefully it isn't too sketchy to tow. I am going to look at studded winter LT tires for the trailer. I have studded tires all the way around on the truck. Bunks in the rear, couch, full kitchen, and dinette and separate bedroom for the wife and I with queen bed upfront. This thing will get 12 months of the year use.

2001 Chinook Baja 4x4 Camper - $49900

You know if there are any built on top of a 4wd platform out there?
    I hesitate to post this but I can't get to it in time. It is CL, and not an auction. I know nothing about this except I want it: http://cnj.craigslist.org/rvs/2562752052.html

RARE - 2001 Chinook Baja 4x4 XL Camper - 34,000 Original Miles. Ford F-350 Chassis, V10, Auto OD, PS, PB, PW, PL, Tilt, Cruise, P/Mirrors, Dual AM/FM/CD Stereos, Roof A/C and Heat, Sink, Shower & Toilet, Stove, Microwave, Coffee Maker, Fridge. Sleeps 4, TV, VCR, Couch, Dinette, Wood Cabinets, Hanging Closet, 12,000lb Winch, Winch Bumper, KC Lights, Tow Hitch, Running Lights, Full One Piece Fiberglass Body, GenSet, Outdoor Shower - The ULTIMATE toy for the adventurer.
    Two owners, first was Doctor who never camped in it, just used it for transport on vacation and as a toy, second owner never camped or went off road with it either. Appliances never used, still has factory red tape in Fridge. Bathroom and shower never used. Excellent condition. Original price was $147,000

You will not see another one on the road, these are hard to come by and have a diehard following! Priced to sell fast at $49,900!

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    The tour rolls on...

You know what that thing needs? A U-joint Offroad 4x4 conversion kit - http://www.ujointoffroad.com/

Here is an RV that was recently converted using his kit -

and another one -

It is what I have under my ambulance, under construction, and to be seen at Silverton mountain this winter:

Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

Hobie - does it come with nurses?

Quote Originally Posted by Slaag Master View Post
    Hobie - does it come with nurses?
    Judging from the slackline thread, you need a maid more than a nurse.

It actually comes with a doctor, just not one for humans.
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid