Page 173 of 510 FirstFirst ... 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,325 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    unicorn because of the power plant? Seen a few bigfoot 4wd rigs over the past few years during my search. I know at least one was a conversion.
    Of course it is a conversion. Ford never made a factory 4x4 E series van. Yes, any 7.3 4x4 RV is called a unicorn. Very expensive when new.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Of course it is a conversion. Ford never made a factory 4x4 E series van. Yes, any 7.3 4x4 RV is called a unicorn. Very expensive when new.
    Sorry, I meant conversion in the sense that it wasn't drop shipped to a warrantied upfitter like Quigley.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    looks like the farm has some equipment to purchase for 2019?
    I wish.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Ok this just popped up. Someone buy this please!

https://rockies.craigslist.org/rvs/d...790428508.html

That is a fucking unicorn in the lower 48.
    JFC... I need a towel. I just messed myself.

Also, this thread brings the lulz!

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    "There's no way this dental lawyer is going to be driving around in a truck without leather!"

Cloth seast can easily be recovered in leather, sometimes better than stock leather seats.
    Yes, you are correct. But I also want heated seats. And yes, I know; you can also get heated seats retrofitted. For me, I'd rather have it done from the factory with the proper switchgear that matches. I guess I'm odd like that.

Besides, the trims that spec with heated leather also have other bougie niceties I like.

6.5 vs 8 ft....

What I wish someone had told me is that the 6.5ft camper models often have room for a built in generator whereas some of the 8ft models do not.

It's not the end of the world to pull out the Honda and run the shore power cord from the other side of the camper, but it probably the biggest inconvenience so far, apart from the location of the blow job port.

If you spring for the heavier 10.5 ft+ campers, they have the overhang to accommodate a built in genny compartment, but I couldn't fit that in my driveway.

And yeah, there are definitely half-ton friendly campers like the Lance 650, and that could be a decent option for a guy without kids or a particular wife, but you're more likely to have moments where you wish you had more truck as opposed to less. F-350 vs Tundra, my only gripe is turning circle, and yeah I guess the price of admission.

150, 250, 350 debates... IMO, the popularity of 250s is a relic of a bygone era. The new 350 (or chevy 3500 for that matter) makes 3/4 tons obsolete. Can't speak to the Ram as I didn't drive those.

Of course the 250 is still a thing if you're talking about a used truck.

Hood River Shell station has shell diesel for 2.79 btw. You already know you want the diesel. Assimilate

I lean 250 after our phone call last night. Thanks again for that, BTW.

As to the generator; I hadn't even considered that. I already have a Honda EU2000i. I mean, how else am I going to run my tire warmers for my Italian motorcycle at track days?

THe price of admission is eye-watering. Sweet Fancy Moses are trucks expensive. And the diesel tax is real; we're talking as much as $10k between similarly spec'd trucks.

As for length, I'm like you; I want to remain small - only getting what I need and not go huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I went 3/4 rather than 1 ton on my latest truck purchase because my state has decided that 1 ton trucks are like semis and even if you’re not loaded over 10,000lbs you still have to chain up under the slightest provocation of snow on the roadway. (Because theoretically you could be loaded to 26k with trailer.)

Whereas the 3/4 ton by nature of manufacturing simplicity is the same truck with a sticker that says GVRW 9900lbs and grants me safe passage on a normal day without chains.

So I don’t think a 3/4 ton is obsolete.

Also you want an 8’ bed.

And on board generators suck compared to a Honda eu 2000 inverter. The Onan gen sets are noisy and inefficient by comparison. Plus when it’s built in to the camper all that noise and vibration gets transferred to the camper shell, whereas a stand alone can be located a bit away from your camper.

Finally, diesel vs. gas. Be wary of the used diesel, if you are only mostly doing local trips a gas truck will be far more reliable and less expensive to own. Diesels only pay off if you’re going to drive long distances.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    A valid concern. What state?

One of my aims with this whole endeavor is be able to freely travel the west in chasing storms. If I were to have a 1 ton and end up in a state like that... no bueno.

Gas vs. diesel is real, as mentioned. Oil burners have a damn high price of admission. And owning a german one now, I get the liquid smooth power. It's intoxicating. But $10k is a lot and I can do a lot of other fun things with it.

Though if I do go diesel, it'll be grandpa's truck; no lift, no chip, no bro-dozer tires - none of that garbage. I want the recently retired guy who had enough time and sense (and money) to pay for proper oil changes, not the dodge contractor or the bro with the small ween who raged on his coal roller.

And yeah, I wouldn't buy a used diesel, but wouldn't hesitate to buy a used late model gas HD from Ford or Chevy.

Totally valid. There are some decent used gasser out there. And I'm fine with the increased fuel consumption. With Chevys especially, that engine is pretty well dialed.

But you're right. It's hard not to assimilate to a diesel. Hell, I'd blow up my whole car garage if I bought a gasser; it'd be the only non-turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I haven't looked at the details recently, but it used to be that those high payload 1/2-ton truck ratings were available only on versions spec'd out in ways that were not useful for me: 2WD, single cab, low options - basically the lightest you could build the truck in order to maximize payload.
    Starting about 2010 or so, Fords could easily be equipped to haul 2k pounds. I was looking a 2012 SuperCab FX4 with the 7700 GVWR package and it's stated payload was a few ticks over 2k. The new F150s are damn near 2500 pounds, well equipped. It's nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Interesting. I still would have concerns about loading up a 1/2-ton that heavy. There are differences between 1/2-ton trucks vs 3/4 and 1-ton: frame, brakes, suspension parts (not just how stiff the springs are), cooling. Unloaded, the F150 would likely drive nicer and get better mileage - so if I were moving a camper on and off frequently, using the truck as a daily driver, that would have some appeal. I still think I'd select a very light camper like a FWC.

There's not much difference between 3/4- and 1-ton trucks. Sometimes it's just a stiffer rear spring pack. If you want a dually, those are 1-ton only. Sometimes you can get a heavy duty wheel option on 1-ton (19.5s). If you want an 8-foot bed, I don't know if you can get those in 1/2 ton trucks anymore, other than single cab.
    And that's the debate; driving this thing around unladen with the camper. About two dozen times a year, it'd haul the camper. The rest, driving to go ride the dirty bikes, hauling the race bike and trailer or other doing truck things. Hence a 250.

I did consider the FWC, but as Mattig rightly pointed out, the bathroom situation is a very much shared experience. And there's the lack of storage. None are deal breakers though, just something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    My take has always been that you get a 3/4 ton if you're towing, a 1 ton if you're hauling weight in the bed, and a 1/2 ton if you want all the downsides of a full size pickup without actually being able to tow or haul much with it, but you'll look cool at your kid's soccer game.
    Well the upside is that I don't have any kids.

You'll look cool while you're buying your white oakley's and getting your spikey hair frosted?
    I lulzed, loudly. Well played.

I got a ride in the fox suspension raptor with all the ridiculous fox suspension upgrades. That thing was unreal - 50mph through sand whoops felt like a casual cruise.

But unless I had a very deep wallet, I wouldn't be rallying a $70k truck all that hard for fear of breaking it. And if I had that kind of fuck-you money, I'd probably build a rig from scratch (off the shelf trophy trucks are for posers). And since I don't have that kind of money, if I'm gonna get a vehicle to blast around on shitty roads, I'd rather have a $10k beater taco with another $10k in suspension upgrades.
    They are unreal. I test drove a first gen a few years ago. It was like a magic carpet, if a bit floaty around town. Mega rad, but you lose quite a bit of truck practicality. A factory bro truck, if you will.

Still, it appeals to my lizard brain.

whatta ya think (price removed because going to be posting to some rv sites and cl soon), 2004 dynamax 60k, tires new in jan 18 including spare,new vizio tv, includes new in 2018 $450 cover, has generator, and trailer hitch bike rack, cold a/c, shorecpower and cord, add the 4x4 if u want i didnt need it past winter skied nv, slc, tahoe,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1322.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	959.9 KB 
ID:	263627
    Last edited by MiCol; 01-12-2019 at 09:29 PM.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

I shouldn’t even consider it. Pics of the interior?

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol;5554793 2004 dynamax 60k, tires new in jan 18 including spare,new vizio tv, includes new in 2018 $450 cover, has generator, and trailer hitch bike rack, cold a/c, shorecpower and cord, add the 4x4 if u want i didnt need it past winter skied nv, slc, tahoe,
    [ATTACH=CONFIG
    263627[/ATTACH]
    PM sent
    Last edited by bluespark; 01-13-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    I shouldn’t even consider it. Pics of the interior?
    i will dig them out tomorrow morning
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by bluespark View Post
    PM sent
    i will read pm, just woke up from falling asleep while sitting
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Pics of the interior?

Name:	rv3.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	328.6 KB 
ID:	263658

Name:	rv4.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	377.7 KB 
ID:	263659

Name:	rv6.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	263660
    Name:  rv5.png
Views: 1127
Size:  188.6 KB
    Name:  rv8.png
Views: 1111
Size:  345.1 KB

Name:	rvCover.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	891.1 KB 
ID:	263663
    www.freeridesystems.com

That thing is rad!

Edit:
    What is this?!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/c...754088305.html

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pyromaniacman129; 01-10-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    That thing is rad!

Edit:
    What is this?!

It is the used diesel that you don't want to own.

cummins swap it

At least it's ready for a cummins swap.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    At least it's ready for a cummins swap.
    I just meant the weird sleep pod bubble. No way I'd buy it.

I just meant the weird sleep pod bubble. No way I'd buy it.

flat deck it and then you can haul your cruiser with it on desert expeditions.

That thing is rad!

Edit:
    What is this?!

watermelon sales man?

Scanning my local RV lot for used and came upon this. Seems perfect for a maggot. VW chassis for the base. Winnebago Rialto

http://www.mckeerv.com/product/used-...21rd-994048-13

1996 with 107k miles, old but looks like the inside was well taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Scanning my local RV lot for used and came upon this. Seems perfect for a maggot. VW chassis for the base. Winnebago Rialto

http://www.mckeerv.com/product/used-...21rd-994048-13

1996 with 107k miles, old but looks like the inside was well taken care of.
    There has been a VW Rialta on an RV lot in Kamloops B.C. for several months. These things go for $35-40CDN which is around $25-30US....or maybe they don't go at that high a price. Either that or the one quopted above is a very good deal at $18kUS.

I have 3 friends with Rialtas who love them but they are not skiers and do not use the RV in winter.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Name:	IMG_0023.JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	254.6 KB 
ID:	264233
    2 maggot campers.

Left, 1995 Bigfoot 2500 11.5’

Right, 1996 Bigfoot 2500 10.6’ w/basement

both on 2002 gmt900 pickups with the 8.1l big block.

Twins?

Any reason not to pull a hard shell pop up like this A-liner? Wife and I both have got lots of trailer pulling experience with boats so backing/parking is a non-issue. Seems like you could set it up and then detach to use the tow rig to explore whatever area/ town we would be visiting. Tow rig would be a 2000 Landcruiser 100 series. Thinking of a lap on the Powder Highway next winter traveling from the East coast.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Any reason not to pull a hard shell pop up like this A-liner? Wife and I both have got lots of trailer pulling experience with boats so backing/parking is a non-issue. Seems like you could set it up and then detach to use the tow rig to explore whatever area/ town we would be visiting. Tow rig would be a 2000 Landcruiser 100 series. Thinking of a lap on the Powder Highway next winter traveling from the East coast.
    Have you used it in the winter?

I've never owned one, but thought about getting something along those lines. The internet told me they're cold, drafty, and really bad about moisture condensation. But I dunno.

Towing a trailer in the snow can really blow and some areas are going to require chains when you’re towing a trailer. Could make for a really annoying drive. See my post above yours, neither of those setups were more than $10k for both truck and camper combined.... which I think is what one of those pop up deals cost at minimum. I’d happily drive up to revelstoke or banff with my truck without a worry.

I know everyone poo poos the tow behind option, but thats what we went with for many reasons. We ran through a couple days of gnarly driving in CO and New Mexico with our hummingbird over the holidays; hardpack, fresh, and ice. No issues other than dealing with -2 F one night. We carry many sets of chains though. (Rubies)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk