Page 350 of 510 FirstFirst ... 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 ... LastLast
Results 8,726 to 8,750 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by kelvin1 View Post
    I've got a battery question for you. Can I simply use a 3-way isolator to switch all the van's power over to a deep cycle battery when I'm camped?
    Yes you can use an isolator, look at Blue Sea marine products. I did this for a dual battery set up in my 4runner. Not exactly simple, you need to add fuses at each end for safety and as mentioned earlier in the thread make sure you’re getting the correct charging voltage from the alternator.

https://www.bluesea.com/resources/17...l_Applications

I’ve got a Stinger 200a battery isolator if anyone can use it. I’ll make you a deal. I decided to go with a CTEK Dc-Dc instead.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    That was my understanding. But my AGM is not vented and I am assuming the risk that enough H2 can accumulate to create a fire hazard from a spark. My shell pop up camper (all terrain camper) came with a non-vented AGM so lots of manufacturers are not venting them, even though it is not 100% risk free (don't think they are vented from FWC). I wonder if that violates some kind of RV code? The manufacturer was otherwise code compliant (it came with a hard wired LP/CO monitor).
    My take is that if you are using a smart charger to charge the AGM house battery then it shouldn't overcharge or fast charge, so the battery shouldn't need ventilation.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Pinned, a BMS should have a temperature gauge so the battery starts charging the moment it is warm enough , and stops charging the moment it gets too cold. They also have BMS with built in battery monitors, so possible to kill two birds with one stone. Can you wrap the battery in foam/neoprene to help keep it warm? Put it in a battery box with closed cell foam installation? They also make combined dc to dc charger/solar charge controller. In the future, all this crap will be in a single component.
    If I go the LiFePo route I'd install the batteries into a Pelican case or something similar so it's portable - foam lined, could definitely add more insulation to it. Basically like a DIY Goal Zero with the inverter, charge controller, and batteries all in the same case. Saw some cool setups that people have done that way.

The BMS I'm looking at has temp probes and monitoring for 4 cells and bluetooth connectivity - super cool. I don't think I'll exceed the operating temp ranges - charge temp minimum is 23*F and the withdraw temp min is -22*F. Since my main use is powering the little heater I think I'd be well above charge temp pretty quick.

Need to do a bit more research on the battery cells themselves and on the DC to DC charger. Pretty sure this is going to be the ticket for me though - small-ish, modular, can take it inside when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    If I go the LiFePo route I'd install the batteries into a Pelican case or something similar so it's portable - foam lined, could definitely add more insulation to it. Basically like a DIY Goal Zero with the inverter, charge controller, and batteries all in the same case. Saw some cool setups that people have done that way.

The BMS I'm looking at has temp probes and monitoring for 4 cells and bluetooth connectivity - super cool. I don't think I'll exceed the operating temp ranges - charge temp minimum is 23*F and the withdraw temp min is -22*F. Since my main use is powering the little heater I think I'd be well above charge temp pretty quick.

Need to do a bit more research on the battery cells themselves and on the DC to DC charger. Pretty sure this is going to be the ticket for me though - small-ish, modular, can take it inside when not in use.
    FWIW, this keeps poping up in my IG feed. Sorta 1/2 way between DIY and prebuilt: https://vanomize.com/

Didn't make sense for my needs (just water pump, charging laptop/phones, running some LEDs -- so I went with a knock off GoalZero for <$250).

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    FWIW, this keeps poping up in my IG feed. Sorta 1/2 way between DIY and prebuilt: https://vanomize.com/

Didn't make sense for my needs (just water pump, charging laptop/phones, running some LEDs -- so I went with a knock off GoalZero for <$250).
    Very cool - thanks for sharing it.

Thinking I want to basically build my own version of this - but that's a really nice package.

This one looks cool, spotted in the Mad River Valley

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 1.43.17 PM.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	983.0 KB 
ID:	384363
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post

Damn, and I thought rolling around with 5 bicycles on/in the WinningBago was a bit much...
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Magnum PI style, ok ok

Makes the grocery run from camp for another six pack that much quicker

https://rockford.craigslist.org/rvs/...375409417.html

Midwest mags PSA. Not mine. looks to be in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Also, ICECO is having a Labor Day only sale on their 12v fridges. I’ve got their JP series, has a danfoss compressor, it’s quiet. Doesn’t use a lot of power and is comparable to a dometic for hundreds less. Not familiar with the dometic but I’m betting it’s better insulated

Be interesting to see how much the $529 model gets reduced. I’m not in the market but friends are. Thx fir the heads up

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Also, ICECO is having a Labor Day only sale on their 12v fridges. I’ve got their JP series, has a danfoss compressor, it’s quiet. Doesn’t use a lot of power and is comparable to a dometic for hundreds less. Not familiar with the dometic but I’m betting it’s better insulated

I checked their site today. No Labor Day sale.

Wonder if the heli is the same guy I met in Pemberton when I lived there. He had a small heli that he was cruising around with, he'd land up in some high remote basins and ski tour from there. It was a small heli just like this one so it was somewhat limited by elevation with a passenger and some gear.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Wonder if the heli is the same guy I met in Pemberton when I lived there. He had a small heli that he was cruising around with, he'd land up in some high remote basins and ski tour from there. It was a small heli just like this one so it was somewhat limited by elevation with a passenger and some gear.
    Robinson R22? Ceiling 14k, usable load ~400lbs. Gotta hope your buddy isn't fat.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    https://rockford.craigslist.org/rvs/...375409417.html

Midwest mags PSA. Not mine. looks to be in good shape.

That's close to where I live , but I am not in the market for a rig like that.
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Robinson R22? Ceiling 14k, usable load ~400lbs. Gotta hope your buddy isn't fat.
    Yeah, no idea. Just met him once like 20 years ago and he was dirtbagging it with his heli on a trailer, a lot like the photo.

I probably should have lobbied for myself a little harder, even with all my ski gear I'd be under 170, so I would be a great partner.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I checked their site today. No Labor Day sale.
    Maaaaan, wtf? My bad. Just checked their confusing-ass email they sent me. Subject line says Labor Day Only Sale. Further inspection says offer valid september 3rd. SMH

GOTOS thread is down there VV

Here's a question to anyone with fiama awnings: How did you install the thing? 60 lbs of awkward AF

Not solo that is for sure. Two people on ladders

Not sure if it's brought up, but what's up with the e-350 with 7.3 diesel engines? How horrendous are they on fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Not sure if it's brought up, but what's up with the e-350 with 7.3 diesel engines? How horrendous are they on fuel?
    mid-teens. It also depends where you get your diesel, some states are better about regulating it than others.

The bigger issue is getting the thing to start in the winter without plugging it in

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    If you thought the 7.3 diesel was horrendous what word would you use to describe the 7.5 gasser? Lol