Page 187 of 507 FirstFirst ... 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,675 of 12666
    Been driving around and sleeping in a van in the winter some over the last couple years. It's been fun not planning out where to be on what day and not worrying about hotel reservations or lining up pacos at friends' places. Also cool to get too drunk to drive at the hill and then not driving.

I don't use it as much in the summer so think about selling the van every fall. We're usually tent camping when the weather warms up and we don't have to worry about snowplows. Then I am always stoked on it after the ski season.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    For solo camping, I think that would be the ticket. Sleeping platform under a shell seems perfect. For two people plus a dog I think a ground tent or a full on camper shell is probably our best options. Was hoping to save a couple of grand with the tent bed option. But the fiddle factor is a big downside when we can pitch a normal tent in five minutes.
    We did a Tacoma, shell and platform, two people and a dog for a few years. We were younger then. We did a quick overnighter mountain bike campout in the shell of a full-size last summer to re-live glory days and I'm over it with two people and a dog in there. For hunting by myself, no problem. But my better half is also getting used to a camper of some sort (we had a slide in and now a van for the last five years or so) and she's made it clear we're never going back to the back of a truck. Weird but she's totally cool with a tent or camper. Just not the back of a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Been driving around and sleeping in a van in the winter some over the last couple years. It's been fun not planning out where to be on what day and not worrying about hotel reservations or lining up pacos at friends' places. Also cool to get too drunk to drive at the hill and then not driving.

I don't use it as much in the summer so think about selling the van every fall. We're usually tent camping when the weather warms up and we don't have to worry about snowplows. Then I am always stoked on it after the ski season.
    That van looks badass. Can we see the inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    That van looks badass. Can we see the inside?
    Is there free candy?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    For solo camping, I think that would be the ticket. Sleeping platform under a shell seems perfect. For two people plus a dog I think a ground tent or a full on camper shell is probably our best options. Was hoping to save a couple of grand with the tent bed option. But the fiddle factor is a big downside when we can pitch a normal tent in five minutes.
    We do two people plus a 40# dog in a full size 6.5 bed pretty frequently. Its not perfect but works pretty well. We have an old memory foam mattress on the platform which made a huge difference in comfort. When I camp solo it is downright spacious, even with both dogs in the back.

Van looks good. What are the specs on it? More pics prease.

What do you have for heat in it?

Home cut window insulation, a heavy down comforter, and propane heater w/ a 5 gal tank. On the last trip of seven nights in the van and overnight temps from 0-15*, we burned about 3.5 gals. We keep it around 50* hanging out and wear a hoody and pants, turn the heater off at bed time, and kick the thermostat on high about ten minutes before getting out of bed. I tried keeping the thermostat n 70* in the negatives one night on another trip just to see what happens and burned 2-3 gals of propane and the blower put the hurt on the batteries. I’d love to go Webasto or similar but the cost isn’t worth it currently.

Here’s a pic of the front half. The back is a queen with storage and house stuff like AC, inverter, water tank and pump under the bed. The high top is standing room over the kitchen and a bunch of storage fore and aft.

The van is older but I’ve put some time and money into the drive train and chassis. Now slowly dialing the interior but mainly just enjoying it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FE30C56D-FCBC-4552-951C-851E206D672F.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	283.7 KB 
ID:	278018  

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    Van looks good. What are the specs on it? More pics prease.
    Specs are questionable but off the top of my head... I had springs custom made for the van and am guessing 5-6” lift w/ Bilsteins. ARBs front and rear and 4.11s in Dynatrac front and Dana 60 rear. Atlas twin stick transfer. 6.0L that was just yanked and rebuilt. 5* tunes. Shore hookup w/ house Ac. Two 4D AGM house batteries...wired but I need to get solar on the roof. A couple of fantastic fans in the back for when the bubblegum machine goes off. 20 gal fresh water, 8 gal grey. Small domestic fridge. Two burner propane stove. Only farted in occasionally.

Holy shit... This is an actual thing that's actually happening:

https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/rvs/6863407336.html

Before I bought mine in November, cheapest comparable example was listed at 20k.

I talked to the lady after I emailed her and told her as much. She said that would make sense considering all the offers she's had since posting. Anyway if first buyer falls through, I'm in line and will and it for maggot-kind.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kicked her husband out and selling his rig to pay gambling debts?

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Exactly
    So who is buying 150k sprinters?
    My guess is millennials that consider it a “tiny house” rather than a depreciating asset

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Revel.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	799.0 KB 
ID:	278134

You mean like this? I guess I am but I'm no millennial or dentist. Oh, and mine only cost $110K.

Only $110k

Nice discount but it is still a 6 figure van that is made for 2 people. It is one of the very best layouts for the SWB high roof model. Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by OldMil View Post

Name:	Revel.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	799.0 KB 
ID:	278134

You mean like this? I guess I am but I'm no millennial or dentist. Oh, and mine only cost $110K.
    My neighbor has one pretty similar. Sick ride.

The neighbors on either side of me have picked up 4x4 Sprinter conversions in the last year.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

The neighbors on either side of me have picked up 4x4 Sprinter conversions in the last year.
    So you're saying you park between two sprinters in your van, DOWN BY THE RIVER?

Not sure if this has been posted already but cheap Chinese diesel (you don't need a diesel vehicle) heaters are on the market.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=chin...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Quote Originally Posted by apex dave View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted already but cheap Chinese diesel (you don't need a diesel vehicle) heaters are on the market.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=chin...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    These are game changers. We love ours and can't imagine winter RVing without it. There is an extremely active FB group for them that will give you all the info you need. Bottom line: spend the $150-200 and be happy.

In other news, Webasto and Eberspacher were recently sued/fined/accused (?) of market manipulation in Europe. Charging $1000 for what the Chinese can ship to you for $150, it turns out, is not so cool.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Has anyone figured out how to mod the fuel ratio on those for high altitude? (I don't have FB). Almost pulled the trigger on one but all of my cold weather camping is >7k and I wasn't sure I wanted to go down that rabbit hole. I seem to remember there was a way to modify the fuel pump but I can't be sure.

EDIT: climberevan I forgot you spent a bunch of time in tahoe this year - did you change anything in yours?

Test drove this bad boy last week - Transit 350 LWB, high roof cargo w/ 3.5 Eco Boost and the Quigley 4x4 packaged. Likely purchasing for work as a gear rig for outdoor ed trips with kids.

Name:	IMG_1107.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	278449

Quote Originally Posted by bonewrenched View Post
    Has anyone figured out how to mod the fuel ratio on those for high altitude? (I don't have FB). Almost pulled the trigger on one but all of my cold weather camping is >7k and I wasn't sure I wanted to go down that rabbit hole. I seem to remember there was a way to modify the fuel pump but I can't be sure.

EDIT: climberevan I forgot you spent a bunch of time in tahoe this year - did you change anything in yours?
    I actually live in Carson, so my home base is just under 5k ft. We camped a lot in Hope Valley and various other spots between 6-8k.

There is a lot of talk about the A-F ratios at altitude, but most people seem to do ok with the stock settings. The one I bought came with the black LCD control, which can be reprogrammed to change the ratio, but I could never find a reliable answer for what to change it TO. Some guys use a CO sniffer to tune theirs.

Mine worked fine with the stock control, but I bought a Blue LCD control anyway. Supposedly the blue one adjusts for altitude. It has a barometric altimeter built into it (so-so accuracy, but within a couple of hundred meters) but I could never determine if it actually did change the ratio. It also works perfectly with that controller.

My rig is 22' long, class A RV. The 5kw heater is more than enough. The coldest night we had was about 5 def F, and it only kicked on to high a couple of times. If you have a lower-volume van or something, I recommend trying to obtain a legit 2kw version. Many sellers will advertise that and then send you a 5kw anyway. The reason you want a smaller one is that they can only drop down to low when the thermostat is set; they can't actually turn off and then start up again automatically. Thus, a big one on low will just make it too hot. If it's around freezing outside mine will gradually heat the interior to uncomfortable temps, but overall I think I'd still choose the 5kw, but not for a rig any smaller.

I haven't taken mine apart to look for soot, but it seems fine and we are super happy with it. I didn't bother to plumb it into my diesel system; I just mounted the included tank on the back of the RV, outside. 10L will run it for at least 48h straight. Def want to mount the pump outside and wrapped in foam to quiet it. It's pretty annoying at night but still worth it.

Also, the thing when running pulls about .3A, but significantly more when it starts up or shuts down, but only for a few minutes. I have 220AH of capacity, but with minimal solar on the winter and the big stereo, lights, water pump, etc, we need to top the batteries up every 2 days or so to stay in the 30-50% max discharge range for longevity.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Test drove this bad boy last week - Transit 350 LWB, high roof cargo w/ 3.5 Eco Boost and the Quigley 4x4 packaged. Likely purchasing for work as a gear rig for outdoor ed trips with kids.

Name:	IMG_1107.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	278449
    I want this. A few well placed windows will be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I want this. A few well placed windows will be nice.
    Those tires look pretty burly, haha

Quote Originally Posted by irratator View Post
    Those tires look pretty burly, haha
    Yeah, it's pretty odd looking with the lift and small stock tires for the overall size of the box. I don't think our organization would spend the money to upsize tires, but we'll get snows for winter.

Crazy amount of sprinter camper vans in Tahoe this year
    So many
    . . .