Page 215 of 510 FirstFirst ... 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 ... LastLast
Results 5,351 to 5,375 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Getting back into the swing of things for the winter. Skied a few days in Banff / Lake Louise. Warmest night was -10f, which made me happy I'd installed some extra insulation this fall.

Nice setup Toast.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Getting back into the swing of things for the winter. Skied a few days in Banff / Lake Louise. Warmest night was -10f, which made me happy I'd installed some extra insulation this fall.

Peyto path. Good work. All to yourself. Dollars to donuts the frontside was shredded

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Peyto path. Good work. All to yourself. Dollars to donuts the frontside was shredded

Frontside was indeed clapped out. Had to abort a bit above the lake - got a little thin down there.

Frontside was indeed clapped out. Had to abort a bit above the lake - got a little thin down there.
    Ya its a snowbelt right through there. Amazing how much thinner it gets from the lake north until the next belt. Better line where you went. Surprising how many dont peak around the corner

This would do the trick https://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trail...sel/1476030137

4x4, thermal windows, heated undercarriage, wood stove, sled garage.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    This would do the trick https://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trail...sel/1476030137

4x4, thermal windows, heated undercarriage, wood stove, sled garage.
    That thing is sick. And actually seems like a sorta good deal when viewed in the context of Sprinter vans.

But there is no fucking way you're fitting a sled in there. Unless you mean a plastic toboggan, in which case yeah, it'd fit a few.

Skis and bikes in that garage would still be super rad.

I am planning on dirtbagging it out to utah this week for a job interview. I was thinking of hitting up alta/solitude on fri/sat/sun. Anyone have any recommendations on low key places to stay the night?

anyone here had an espar heater installed? any recs around the rocky mtn region? (we're in Jackson,WY)
    I know there are not a ton that advertise the installs but the husband bought one and is considering installing it himself.
    I mean, he has many excellent skills but I am not confident in this as a DIY. he'd have to borrow the tools, we don't have a garage tall enough to fit our van inside so he would do outside. I see this as never happening or becoming a real PITA
    Was thinking of just calling our local shops to see what they think and might install but wanted to see if there were any recs in the greater area. Wouldn't break my heart to have to go to SLC, Denver etc for a couple days while it's installed if anyone has recs
    I'm excited for the toastiness
    skid luxury

In that same vein anyone have any ideas for a Propex (propane) heater that won't light? It keeps trying to kick on but never does, clears the system and tries again. The refrigerator and the stove that run off the same tank work fine. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    anyone here had an espar heater installed? any recs around the rocky mtn region? (we're in Jackson,WY)
    I know there are not a ton that advertise the installs but the husband bought one and is considering installing it himself.
    I mean, he has many excellent skills but I am not confident in this as a DIY. he'd have to borrow the tools, we don't have a garage tall enough to fit our van inside so he would do outside. I see this as never happening or becoming a real PITA
    Was thinking of just calling our local shops to see what they think and might install but wanted to see if there were any recs in the greater area. Wouldn't break my heart to have to go to SLC, Denver etc for a couple days while it's installed if anyone has recs
    The knockoff Chinese diesel heaters from Amazon or ebay are quite excellent. $200 or less, and you will be as warm as you like. We love ours. There it's a whole Facebook group devoted to them, and an absolute shitload of technical info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T707A using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    In that same vein anyone have any ideas for a Propex (propane) heater that won't light? It keeps trying to kick on but never does, clears the system and tries again. The refrigerator and the stove that run off the same tank work fine. Thanks.
    Heater or furnace? If the latter, it might need a new thermocouple and/or sail switch. Does "trying to kick on" mean that the fan runs but no heat?

Sent ya PM...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Our Truma heater is super sensitive to inlet pressure from the propane line... the fridge and stove will run fine, but the heater would try to kick on and throw an error code. I've troubleshooted it to most likely be a faulty regulator which is not providing sufficient inlet pressure. Its a 30$ part on Amazon (my model anyway). Maybe something to think about for a relatively cheap attempt at a fix. worst case you end up with a spare regulator.

1. Check to make sure the exhaust line is unobstructed. Depends on how yours is routed but mine sometimes gets blocked by snow.
    2. If you have a reset button (newest model does) try that or a power cycle
    3. As stated, they seem to be sensitive to regulator pressure. I changed my inlet setup this fall to eliminate a lot of junctions and swapped to a different regulator. Mine will still run but throws an error code and needs to be reset if left sitting for a few days. Might try a regulator swap soon myself.

I don't have an espar, but have a cheap knock-off I bought on Amazon for $120 or something with absolutely nothing in the way of useful installation instructions. Really, it was a pretty simple installation that took a couple of hours. The only complicated thing is figuring out where you tap into the diesel supply. I was able to add a T to the fuel line to the engine (between the tank and primary fuel filter) and that made it easier, but it can be more complicated or even simpler depending on what vehicle you're installing it. Either way, I have confidence papabear could do it!

Not familiar with that model, but if it's anything like my Atwood furnace (that I had a similar issue with recently), this is what worked for me: smell the exhaust when it tries to light. Smells like propane: maybe the sail switch, maybe the ignitor, maybe the circuit board. Doesn't smell like propane: maybe a regulator issue, maybe gas valve is stuck / shitty, maybe a clogged burner.

Mine was a stuck valve that sorted itself out with some encouragement from a rubber mallet.

Hey BB, try Derek at In•Spired Vans in Victor/Driggs. Great dude and does Espar installs and more.

Thanks, I'll start the troubleshooting there. BB if none of the other suggestions work out I have a friend that had his installed in Billings and I'll get the info if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkbrnblm View Post
    I don't have an espar, but have a cheap knock-off I bought on Amazon for $120 or something with absolutely nothing in the way of useful installation instructions. Really, it was a pretty simple installation that took a couple of hours. The only complicated thing is figuring out where you tap into the diesel supply. I was able to add a T to the fuel line to the engine (between the tank and primary fuel filter) and that made it easier, but it can be more complicated or even simpler depending on what vehicle you're installing it. Either way, I have confidence papabear could do it!
    This, like I said above. Heating with propane is passé. All of the cool kids are using diesel, which is cheaper & safer. Depending on the design of your heater, some propane ones introduce moisture into the living space. The diesel ones use a heat exchanger so the interior air stays dry. Plus, it appears they are even cheaper now than when I bought mine a couple of seasons ago. For $120 you will be unbelievably stoked on it.

Oh, and many of them come with a 10l plastic diesel tank. Even though my rig is diesel I used it to save the hassle of tapping into the fuel line. I just screwed it to the outside if my RV on the back, but you could mount it inside since diesel is basically oil.

ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

talking with inspired over in Victor.
    I’m sure the papabear cd figure it out, but he also has -gasp- 2 jobs this winter, so he’s pretty busy and I ‘d rather have him enjoy his days off than lie under the van in the snow
    Thanks gang!
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    This, like I said above. Heating with propane is passé. All of the cool kids are using diesel, which is cheaper & safer. Depending on the design of your heater, some propane ones introduce moisture into the living space. The diesel ones use a heat exchanger so the interior air stays dry. Plus, it appears they are even cheaper now than when I bought mine a couple of seasons ago. For $120 you will be unbelievably stoked on it.

Oh, and many of them come with a 10l plastic diesel tank. Even though my rig is diesel I used it to save the hassle of tapping into the fuel line. I just screwed it to the outside if my RV on the back, but you could mount it inside since diesel is basically oil.

I wouldn't want the smell inside my van and I deal with diesel every day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Had a Propex in my syncro years ago. I liked the unit, but did have two failures. One was just a fuse and the other I had to replace the circuit board, which wasn't terribly expensive. There should be a troubleshooting led under the access panel that should point you in the direction of failure, but as stated above, make sure nothing crawled up the intake or the exhaust. Blow them out with copressed air. Good Luck!

https://www.propexheatsource.com/wp-...April-2018.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    I wouldn't want the smell inside my van and I deal with diesel every day.
    We have one on our rig it exhausts to the outside, opposite side of entry.
    No diesel smell inside. We only smell it outside upon fire up or shut down.

Everyone has their preference.
    We like that our system operates (mostly) on a single fuel source and does not generate condensation in the cabin.

Seconding the sail switch suggestion, along a different line. Most sail switch failures are not due to a faulty switch, but a dirty squirrel cage. The sail switch is the fail safe before the call for gas flow in the ignition sequence. Not enough air flow due to low voltage or dirty fan, no gas. If you hear the igniter clicking, but nothing happens, try this. Check to see if you have dust build-up on the interior fan blades, like this random web image has. If so, compressed air will most likely solve your problem.
    Name:  Dust.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  128.5 KB
    Crippled but free, I was blind all the time, I was learning to 'ski'.

The best backcountry advice ever given on the TGR forums:

Quote Originally Posted by skibee View Post
    Tits are a good thing, if making a good decision so you can live to see tits again is all that motivates you then so be it!!!