Page 289 of 510 FirstFirst ... 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 ... LastLast
Results 7,201 to 7,225 of 12727
    ^that thing is really interesting to me. wonder if back is toy box or architectural digest level extension of condo cab. guess you need cdl to drive it since air brakes
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by Micol View Post
    ^that thing is really interesting to me. wonder if back is toy box or architectural digest level extension of condo cab. guess you need cdl to drive it since air brakes
    Some big class A RVs have air brakes and no CDL is required to drive them. (One should definitely be, though. I had a CDL for years and and always cringe when I see 30,000+# RVs being piloted by ancients who likely have no training.)

Separately, I'm thinking about buying a cheap box van and doing a cool build. I wonder if there is a market for that, it does everyone want regular body Sprinters.

Sent from my SM-P610 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Generally , atleast on this side of the border, single axle and air brakes all you need is air certificate. Tandem axle youd probably need a licence(class3 here)and then add a trailer for a class 1 licence.
    Ive seen some sweet single axle mitsubishi cube van builds. Little diesel engines and small dualies. I think the wheels were 14's and 145hp diesel. I think id want a little more hp and bigger wheels

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Who's got 280k burning a hole in their pocket?

https://www.truckhouse.co/

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post

jesus christ.... I like how they co-opted the Sunrader 4x4 heritage as part of their origin story, as if those were equal to $300k when new 33yrs ago..

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ9EZhJB...d=s744j2sezbf3

Edit: Shirk beat me to it.

At this point why not just buy an earthroamer? Something tells me th F-xxx chassis is stronger suited than a Tacoma...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome. I might have to wait for a used one though.

Unhappy

Just saw this over on Snowbrains. So if I own the vehicle (2018 TRD OR) already that's $280k - $40K brings it down to an affordable $240K? WTF? And I thought the whole Sprinter/vanlife craze prices were getting out of control. Well, I just read yesterday that the average price for existing homes here in Reno just hit half a MILLION dollars ($500K), so apparently outfitters have to follow suite. Love the idea, to rich for this ski bum.

They seem to only have renderings so I wonder how far along in the process they really are.

Looks really cool, but I wonder how they got a truck with an 1100 lb payload to carry that kind of weight? I assume removing the composite bed will give you maybe another 300 lbs, but still that's crazy. I assume the box with wet bath weighs about 1600 lbs. Then add gear, water, etc. When it starts rocking around and going through big dips off-road that's going to be "interesting". The Sunrader was never considered an off-road vehicle like this one is.
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

Lol @ the trophy truck BS in the copy.

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    Looks really cool, but I wonder how they got a truck with an 1100 lb payload to carry that kind of weight? I assume removing the composite bed will give you maybe another 300 lbs, but still that's crazy. I assume the box with wet bath weighs about 1600 lbs. Then add gear, water, etc. When it starts rocking around and going through big dips off-road that's going to be "interesting". The Sunrader was never considered an off-road vehicle like this one is.
    How did they build a class C out of a Toyota pickup in '84:

Springs. Great big springs.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

For the dirtbag crowd with low payload Toyotas. Don't worry about the hardsided. Look for an old 4WC, flippac, wildernest, or Roamin Chariot. They're out there. And may just need a little sweat equity. I just installed a chinese heater in my Roamin Chariot. Heat will never be an issue. I have the windows open and still could strip down to the skivvies. The heater sips diesel. You will be seeing me, in my sauna, at a parking lot near you.

Not surprisingly, this is not a stock truck at all. Mfger comment I saw said that the chassis was lengthened and heavily modified to increase the GVWR.

I don't get it either. 1200lb payload, empty/curb weight of ~4200lbs, and CGVWR of 11,360lbs. I think 1600lbs for the camper is very optimistic. The batteries alone probably weigh 200lbs and 30 gallons h20 weighs 250lbs.
    With camper, water, fuel, people and gear this thing will be maxed or likely over CGVWR. You can reinforce the frame to handle all the weight but what about horsepower, radiator, suspension, braking, etc...
    Last edited by sierraskier; 01-12-2021 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    How did they build a class C out of a Toyota pickup in '84:

Springs. Great big springs.
    That's a factory 1 ton chassis that is 2wd. They were more commonly used as flatbeds.

Current generation Tacomas are much more about the image than about getting real work done.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Front camper windows, no sale!! I was going to buy 2

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

In Australia they chop / extend and modify frames regularly. After they've modified the frame they then need to have the vehicle re-tested for stuff like stopping distances and lane change roll over. This is how they end up with 6 wheel drive Landcruisers and turn the 200 series SUV into Utes.

If this was a Ford/GM/RAM they would buy an unfinished cab chassis. I don't think Toyota offers this in North America. So uh...what's Toyota going to say when it comes to warranty?

The Sunrader was never considered an off-road vehicle like this one is.
    You may be amazed at some of the places I took my Sunrader.

Apologies for a topic likely covered and not exactly RV - but your collective knowledge assures me I will get an answer with little debate.
    Helping line my FIL up with the best chains for his Promaster fwd considerations to quick/ease of install and performance over price please. He’s in his 60s and previously sustained a lifelong injury due to being in the cold installing chainsaw, leaving him with a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Lol @ the trophy truck BS in the copy.
    The snorkel is my favorite part. As if anyone will ever drive it through water deep enough to require a snokel, or that the electronics wouldn't fry if you actually did.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Apologies for a topic likely covered and not exactly RV - but your collective knowledge assures me I will get an answer with little debate.
    Helping line my FIL up with the best chains for his Promaster fwd considerations to quick/ease of install and performance over price please. He’s in his 60s and previously sustained a lifelong injury due to being in the cold installing chainsaw, leaving him with a limp.
    I have a set of these self tensioning Koenig/Thule for my van. Only have used them a couple times but really easy on/off. Just make sure the size is right. I had to go up one to fit on the snow tires.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains...SABEgI-EvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    I was told Les Schwab has chains that are easy on/off and will do the trick for the Promaster. Haven't picked ours up yet.

I went so many rounds on the Toyota +camper thing. Lance 650 seemed just a bit too heavy. Didn't want a pop-up. I was imminently ready to purchase a Capri out of texas, and for anyone who will not consider another vehicle or who can't find an older NL or bigfoot, I'd definitely give them a look.

Ultimately bit the bullet and upgraded to a one ton. "No regerts" other than letting myself get talked out of a dually.