Page 72 of 510 FirstFirst ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Cochise Stronghold/Dragoon Mountains. Bugs aren't a huge issue in AZ. When we go to AK next month I might cover the bikes, but alas, bugs don't really bother me.
    I would recommend covering the bikes on a road trip to AK.
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

[Qdamn,UOTE=tBatt;4469926]

4x4, Diesel, Dual Tanks, Allison Transmission, 77k miles, $4000. Someone needs this.

http://eastidaho.craigslist.org/cto/4940280979.html[/QUOTE]

wish I'd see this a couple of days ago when I was in Driggs!

Just the 7.3 motor with 77k miles is worth more than $4K

Quote Originally Posted by AKPogue View Post
    I would recommend covering the bikes on a road trip to AK.
    A little snow over a pass where the DOT sprays the poison mag chloride would fuck up bearings and anything plastic, rubber, aluminum or chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by coldwater View Post
    Who needs an RV?

you will if you ever camp @ 10000 feet or above and it is cold and snowing. That bag will end up inside a bright yellow one on the news.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1429330003.291800.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	166280

It's a stretch but I spend most weekends back here. A camper build out went south due to some rotted framing but left me with a trailer. Now all I need is a couple extra thousand dollars and a few months.

So, I'm moving to CO here soon from EU. I'm a huge car camper over here for all activities and plan to continue that once in CO. With my budget(limited), I've narrowed it down to the following. Early-Mid 90's 4runner and/or Tacoma with camper shell(full size bed) 4wd, Honda Element AWD, Subaru Outback. I plan on taking back seats out of almost all of those and building sleeping platform +storage. Now, is there any pro's and cons that anybody might want to send my way considering I have zero experience with these cars. My budget is essentially MAX $6500usd I do have tons of time on the Toyota Hilux but not quite the same as the US spec'd stuff. No Diesel ;-(

Bring over a Vito
    picador

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    So, I'm moving to CO here soon from EU. I'm a huge car camper over here for all activities and plan to continue that once in CO. With my budget(limited), I've narrowed it down to the following. Early-Mid 90's 4runner and/or Tacoma with camper shell(full size bed) 4wd, Honda Element AWD, Subaru Outback. I plan on taking back seats out of almost all of those and building sleeping platform +storage. Now, is there any pro's and cons that anybody might want to send my way considering I have zero experience with these cars. My budget is essentially MAX $6500usd I do have tons of time on the Toyota Hilux but not quite the same as the US spec'd stuff. No Diesel ;-(
    1997 was the first year for the 4Runner (and presumably the Tacoma) to get the 3.4L 24 valve V6 engine. This is a huge upgrade over the former 3L 12 valve engine that it replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    Yeah, should be able to get a 97 or 98 that will still run like a champ for around your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    1997 was the first year for the 4Runner (and presumably the Tacoma) to get the 3.4L 24 valve V6 engine. This is a huge upgrade over the former 3L 12 valve engine that it replaced.
    2nd this. The '96-'02 4runner is a about as reliable and capable as you can get. $6500 would easily put you into one. Look for one with good maintenece records and no rust, ignore the mileage, the 3.4 and trans will run forever if maintained.

I car camp in mine. I'm 6' and it's comfy. Coldest night I've spent was -22F in VT. Set it up right with a platform and you can stay warm and organized. The Element may have more height and width in the back, not sure, but the 4runner will excel at getting you off the highways and will have better ground clearance for snow.

I use a folding cot for ease of packing. I slide plastic milk crates and all my snowboard gear under the cot (over the legs) leaving an "aisle" next to the cot. It's cheap, easy to unload.

Since you are already familar with the Hilux, stay w Toyota. You may recognize a lot of the vehicle parts / features.

I have no experience w Outback or Element.

I think the Element with its low floor and high roof would be great. But I'm not sure it would be long enough..

Thanks for the responses. Yeah..I've been leaning towards the 4runner due to reputation and can't go wrong with Toyota from my experience. I saw a Honda Element over here today and it was actually smaller than I initially thought :-/

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1431618898.539579.jpg 
Views:	694 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	167158
    Question for the collective: I've got one of these roof top tents. It came with a quilted, fuzzy-backed lining that covered the entire interior of the tent's fiberglass top and bottom. Said lining got mold on it this winter because the missus and I got drunk on NYE, slept in it in a freezing ski area parking lot, got all kinds of condensation in it, and then forgot to air it out. Classic.

The manufacturer said the OG liner was cotton. There has to be something better, right? The idea is that the liner will help manage the condensation that forms on the interior of the fiberglass.

Suggestions for a replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1431618898.539579.jpg 
Views:	694 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	167158
    Question for the collective: I've got one of these roof top tents. It came with a quilted, fuzzy-backed lining that covered the entire interior of the tent's fiberglass top and bottom. Said lining got mold on it this winter because the missus and I got drunk on NYE, slept in it in a freezing ski area parking lot, got all kinds of condensation in it, and then forgot to air it out. Classic.

The manufacturer said the OG liner was cotton. There has to be something better, right? The idea is that the liner will help manage the condensation that forms on the interior of the fiberglass.

Suggestions for a replacement?
    Try spraying/wiping with a 10% bleach, 90% water solution. Rinse or hose off and let dry. It may take several applications.

The lining has ripped out and trashed. Going for new.

Indoor/outdoor carpet. Glue it on with construction adhesive.

In the process of trying to aquire this:

2002 E350 Super-Duty 1 ton, 7.3 Diesel, Quigley 4X4 conversion.
    I'll call him Vando Kalrissian.
    Wish me luck!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    In the process of trying to aquire this:

2002 E350 Super-Duty 1 ton, 7.3 Diesel, Quigley 4X4 conversion.
    I'll call him Vando Kalrissian.
    Wish me luck!
    s3exy!!
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Any folks have experience driving RWD sundrader/Dolphin type vehicles around in the snow? Bad idea on mtn passes or reasonable with snow tires and/or chains?
    Drive slow, homie.

Has anyone attempted to use the small Eva-Dry 500 dehumidifiers to combat propane heater moisture? Or do you need to use an electric one? Specifically in small environments like a truck topper or van (yes, I will be cracking windows).
    Last edited by Lindahl; 05-19-2015 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Indoor/outdoor carpet. Glue it on with construction adhesive.
    Stupid question: will that just trap the moisture between the carpet and cap? Yes, the carpet should be perfectly flush against the shell, but the shape of this shell will make that damn near impossible.

Sweet FJ :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Any folks have experience driving RWD sundrader/Dolphin type vehicles around in the snow? Bad idea on mtn passes or reasonable with snow tires and/or chains?
    My cousin just came through SLC with her 85 Dolphin. It's a 1 ton axle dual rear. They went north on I-80 rather than go through I-70 in central CO. Primarily due to the grade itself, not weather. ymmv, they do live in theirs so it's a heavy bastard.

I have a friend at this thing:
    http://www.overlandexpo.com
    Seems perfect for the folks in this thread. Any of you guys go? Seems stupid to me, but whatever.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I have a friend at this thing:
    http://www.overlandexpo.com
    Seems perfect for the folks in this thread. Any of you guys go? Seems stupid to me, but whatever.
    I believe beemerchef has taught a one-pot-meal cooking class at the expo.

For the most part, I think it's a gathering for rich folks with cool toys who fancy themselves on a modern safari, but there are quite a few legitimate explorers who attend. Bunch of moto folks too, who I felt bad for this year due to all the snow.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague