Page 53 of 510 FirstFirst ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 12727
    I'd do a pickup with a canopy, or an older blazer/suburban before I'd buy a truck camper. The difference in creature comforts is pretty small, specially if'n you aren't gonna be a professional RV-er. A good down bag with the wife as a heater is plenty warm, and you could get a little buddy or whatever kind electric heater and run it off 12v just to warm up the space a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmander View Post
    I'd do a pickup with a canopy, or an older blazer/suburban before I'd buy a truck camper. The difference in creature comforts is pretty small, specially if'n you aren't gonna be a professional RV-er. A good down bag with the wife as a heater is plenty warm, and you could get a little buddy or whatever kind electric heater and run it off 12v just to warm up the space a little.
    Totally disagree, i love having a pop up camper. I cant explain how awesome it is to be able to cook standing up, or sit at a table playing cards drinking whiskey while it is pounding rain outside.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

You know, I thought about that as I could do just what you described with my Land Cruiser. But as stated below, having a bit more room for the pup, the lady and I with proper kitchen would be much more bueno and make her much more agreeable to the idea
    Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Totally disagree, i love having a pop up camper. I cant explain how awesome it is to be able to cook standing up, or sit at a table playing cards drinking whiskey while it is pounding rain outside.
    That's more what I'm thinking. When you say pop-up, you mean a trailer or one of those truck campers that folds down low and then you can pop up for more space?
    Oh bud ... that's a sweet rig, but I'm looking more for a ready-to-go package. While I'm all for a hobby, I'll need something that with only a bit of work, I'm ready for a 10 day swing chasing storms in the PNW.

The difference in creature comforts is pretty small, .
    i let my dogs out in the pre dawn so they can take shits etc, not sure i could do that if it's 15 degrees and dark

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    You know, I thought about that as I could do just what you described with my Land Cruiser. But as stated below, having a bit more room for the pup, the lady and I with proper kitchen would be much more bueno and make her much more agreeable to the idea

That's more what I'm thinking. When you say pop-up, you mean a trailer or one of those truck campers that folds down low and then you can pop up for more space?

Oh bud ... that's a sweet rig, but I'm looking more for a ready-to-go package. While I'm all for a hobby, I'll need something that with only a bit of work, I'm ready for a 10 day swing chasing storms in the PNW.
    I have one of those truck campers that pop up for more room. It's lightweight (850 pounds loaded with water) and has plenty of room to stand up in and is easily handled by my Dodge Dakota.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Gonna see if I can't turn this piece of work into my slope-side home in the winter

We are getting our 18' Airstream worked on right now in Zootown. Getting new insulation, new wiring, new windows, new torsion axle, and a better heater for the winter. They are so light I've seem folks towing them with subaru's, the F150 tows it with ease. What's nice is that you can leave it at the campsite and still use your vehicle to drive around without having to secure everything for every trip. Friends of ours have truck bed campers and they are quite envious, its not real easy to dump them for a quick excursion. Although can't take it over teton pass in the winter and is not stealth, but nice and comfy inside...Another thing to think about is a lot of the campgrounds around GYE are going hard shell only due to bear issues...tents and pop tops do not qualify...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130830_091137_644.jpg 
Views:	634 
Size:	1,012.9 KB 
ID:	142721

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubadub View Post
    We are getting our 18' Airstream worked on right now in Zootown. Getting new insulation, new wiring, new windows, new torsion axle, and a better heater for the winter. They are so light I've seem folks towing them with subaru's, the F150 tows it with ease. What's nice is that you can leave it at the campsite and still use your vehicle to drive around without having to secure everything for every trip. Friends of ours have truck bed campers and they are quite envious, its not real easy to dump them for a quick excursion. Although can't take it over teton pass in the winter and is not stealth, but nice and comfy inside...Another thing to think about is a lot of the campgrounds around GYE are going hard shell only due to bear issues...tents and pop tops do not qualify...

Name:	IMG_20130830_091137_644.jpg 
Views:	634 
Size:	1,012.9 KB 
ID:	142721
    Nice. The Cruiser should tow that thing no problem.

The hardside thing is sage advice. Not that I do a lot of excursions in bear country, but it would no doubt keep me warmer, which is the key here; winter camping.

Got a kick out of this...

Stealth Dolphin.

Quote Originally Posted by Homerocks View Post
    Got a kick out of this...

Want.

Hugh Conway Guest
    people are lining up for a Toyota with Ferrari badges?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Is that 4x4? That's been a significant obstacle: we'd really like a 4x4.
    Buster, I know chinook made some (one?) in 4X4. A buddy of mine had a chinook, it was on a lifted F350 or 450 4X4 van platform. Had an ARB bumper and dualies in rear. The thing was awesome. He sold it in the t-town area about 5 years ago. So, I know there is at least one out there, and I assume they made more. Maybe they are as rare as a unicorn though.

Quote Originally Posted by 1080Rider View Post
    Buster, I know chinook made some (one?) in 4X4. A buddy of mine had a chinook, it was on a lifted F350 or 450 4X4 van platform. Had an ARB bumper and dualies in rear. The thing was awesome. He sold it in the t-town area about 5 years ago. So, I know there is at least one out there, and I assume they made more. Maybe they are as rare as a unicorn though.
    There are companies that can do conversions to 4x4. So maybe get a vehicle and get it converted.
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by 1080Rider View Post
    At least 35 made by Chinook as factory 4x4, the Baja model.

Before we purchased the Tiger, we shopped Chinook 2wd units with the intent to have converted to 4x4. Most of them were V10's though, and with manual transmissions.
    Nice rigs though.

Saw a Baja on the road between Cle Elum and the pass Friday afternoon.

Still looking...
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Marin born -> Chico State -> CH -> France -> Truckee
    So. I. Think. This. May. Be. A. Mag.

http://reno.craigslist.org/rvs/4135734767.html

The GnaRV on a recent strike mission to SoCal...

Need help with any suggestions on a cup holder strategy for a van we camp in. It is a 1970 Ford Club Wagon Chateau. It is fucking awesome and has a 302 cubic inch engine that plows over passes, furnace, stove, fridge, sink, all work. But with the old engine compartment "Dog House Style", does anybody have any suggestions on something for cups, as morning coffee makes everything warmer. I don't really want a massive console unit there but I remember seeing old truckers with a snap bottom cup that basically snaps into a holder glue there. Suggestions from someone more creative than me?

Name:	IMG-20131013-00024.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	142852Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20131013-00029.jpg 
Views:	613 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	142853

A roll of duct tape works well.

That's a sick van! I've owned a half dozen vans and cup holders is always an issue. I have two solutions. One is the Rubbermaid cooler with four cupholder holes on the top that fits perfectly between the front seats. Left hand on the steering wheel and right is free to dig in cooler and pull out a beverage. This is my current setup and favorite to date. Older vans I've taken a small piece of 4" PVC, glued a cap on the bottom, then screwed it directly into the doghouse. Two of these make for some stylish his and hers cupholders. I rattle can some paint that matches the interior so it looks all factory.

Who out there has extensive experience with an Olympian Wave 3 heater at altitude in cold winter conditions? We just got one to use as an alternative to our forced air heater in our Six Pac truck camper to cut down on battery drain and noise while sleeping.

I'm wondering how much venting is safe, do folks generally run them all night, are folks having to also use their forced air furnace to stay warm in sub-0 temps?

They have ones that slide into your windowsill on the door