Page 250 of 508 FirstFirst ... 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 ... LastLast
Results 6,226 to 6,250 of 12695
    Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    After much consideration regarding RV setups I've decided to go the minivan route with a modular build that will double as my daily driver. I just don't want to daily drive a truck and store a camper, I hate towing trailers, and having a dedicated 3rd vehicle in the form of a cargo van build out raises another storage and insurance insurance that i don't care for.

WWMD: High mileage (189k miles) '06 AWD Sienna that just had the timing belt replaced and is WELL taken care of or a CPO FWD something or other (Odyssey, Grand Caravan, Pacifica, T&C, Sedona) with 40k miles or less and 7yr/100k warranty?

Budget is 5-10k cash for an older AWD Sienna and not looking to finance more than 18k for a CPO.
    Daily driver = lower mileage w/warranty for me.

Astro.
    Mine has been great, until this recent trip home, now I'm getting a new rear differential. Then it'll be great again, until it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by sklar View Post
    Astro.
    Mine has been great, until this recent trip home, now I'm getting a new rear differential. Then it'll be great again, until it isn't.
    Haha. Just went through this. Not cheap. Have you done your lower intake manifold? That always goes bad between 120-180k.

Working on getting it ready for sale shortly. AWD, mild lift, ready to camp (rear table and middle "box"), swivel chair, cross bars. Brand new rear diff, lower intake manifold done, comes with some fresh Moog idler arms that I may or may not getting around to installing.

FWIW, I've owned 2 Astros and now a low-mileage (53k) Sienna.

Astro makes a better RV. Sienna makes a better long haul and DD. Even the '06 Sienna is gonna be more comfy for long hauls than an Astro, but less space/easy to build out.

AWD is pretty handy, but it is more expensive up front, maintanence, and slight mpg hit. Unless you live in CA or really nasty spots you regularly access, some good snows and FWD will probably be sufficient. They aren't lightweight vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Haha. Just went through this. Not cheap. Have you done your lower intake manifold? That always goes bad between 120-180k.

Working on getting it ready for sale shortly. AWD, mild lift, ready to camp (rear table and middle "box"), swivel chair, cross bars. Brand new rear diff, lower intake manifold done, comes with some fresh Moog idler arms that I may or may not getting around to installing.
    There was a home mechanic somewhere in its lineage, so it's kind of hard to tell what was and wasn't done. 193k right now.
    One more big maintenance item and I'll be questioning if it's worth it to keep or not. My shop at home didn't have any major concerns, but then again, they didn't catch the differential before my trip...
    Figure the resale value is about the same no matter what, given it's a pretty desireable setup, AWD cargo, and it looks cool.

Quote Originally Posted by sklar View Post
    There was a home mechanic somewhere in its lineage, so it's kind of hard to tell what was and wasn't done. 193k right now.
    One more big maintenance item and I'll be questioning if it's worth it to keep or not. My shop at home didn't have any major concerns, but then again, they didn't catch the differential before my trip...
    Figure the resale value is about the same no matter what, given it's a pretty desireable setup, AWD cargo, and it looks cool.
    Problem is replacement in similar cost range doesn't exactly exist. Just keep an eye on your coolant level -- if it's not leaking you're probably good.

Daily drove/camped an Astro from when I was 20-26 y.o. before it was "cool". Great vehicles and I'd love to have another but not as a daily driver. Another trouble with those for sale around here at least is they are the definition of rode hard and put away wet.

Yep -- as someone who has done exactly that, it's why I'm now rocking the Sienna.

Daily drove/camped an Astro from when I was 20-26 y.o. before it was "cool". Great vehicles and I'd love to have another but not as a daily driver. Another trouble with those for sale around here at least is they are the definition of rode hard and put away wet.
    Sienna awd has no spare so you do run flats. Consider a spare stored somewhere like the roof or a hitch mount. Also the ground clearance was very low especially with weight so watch that or lift it
    I couldn't make the math work on a sienna awd after those two issues

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

What are you rocking instead of the Sienna?
    Subaru outback with a super comfy exped megamat on a platform and a roofbox. As a daily driver it's a normal car and the transition is quick. Spent the summer in it.

Enough room for me
    Good clearance
    You don't have to drive a minivan
    Also great for a trip to stay at a friend's just chuck the skis in and go.
    Lower roof so roofbox is much easier.

I think it's better mpg but not sure?

You can't stand up in either

Used awd sienna have very high resale
    A new set of runflat snows is $$

With the saved money I can stay in a motel more often.

If I had found a great deal on a used minivan awd I probably would have done that, though and done a lift and bought 5 tires. Just didn't find one that worked given the added expenses.

I do agree on having only 1 vehicle. It's important to see how much more a second vehicle costs per month and how many nights in a motel that gets you. A motel is warm, has a hot shower and a bed. And you can dry your wet clothes out.

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Many with AWD swap out the run flats, carry a patch kit / compressor when doing regular highway, and only put a full size spare in when heading somewhere remote.

The Gen2 Sienna has more ground clearance and is -- in general -- easier to build out for modular camper than the Gen3. Gen3 gives you benefits of .... a more recent generation. Gen3 uses a timing chain, has more safety features, slight HP boost.

You can get ~2" of lift via small spacers (yeah, I know, not cool, but it's a minivan folks) and some slightly upsized tires. Puts it into outback clearance (but not angles) range. Alternatively you can go with 3.5" journey off-roads lift (also spacer based, but drops rear axle to deal with increased height) which is about $750 + either 12hrs of your time or $800-1000 at most shops.

Many with AWD swap out the run flats, carry a patch kit / compressor when doing regular highway, and only put a full size spare in when heading somewhere remote.

The Gen2 Sienna has more ground clearance and is -- in general -- easier to build out for modular camper than the Gen3. Gen3 gives you benefits of .... a more recent generation. Gen3 uses a timing chain, has more safety features, slight HP boost.

You can get ~2" of lift via small spacers (yeah, I know, not cool, but it's a minivan folks) and some slightly upsized tires. Puts it into outback clerance (but not angles) range. Alternatively you can go with 3.5" journey off-roads lift which is about $750 + either 12hrs of your time or $800-1000 at most shops.
    Yes exactly. I see a lifted sienna with a spare in a roofbasket around town and it looks sweet but like I said the added expenses were too much. I think doing that on a new van that you want to keep makes sense.

I'd like an old diesel 4*4 suburban. That's not rotted out.

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Sienna awd has no spare so you do run flats. Consider a spare stored somewhere like the roof or a hitch mount. Also the ground clearance was very low especially with weight so watch that or lift it
    I couldn't make the math work on a sienna awd after those two issues

Obviously not the affordable option, but 2021 Sienna will be AWD with a spare. The new ones are hybrid, with the rear drive motors being electric. No drive shaft = room for a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Obviously not the affordable option, but 2021 Sienna will be AWD with a spare. The new ones are hybrid, with the rear drive motors being electric. No drive shaft = room for a spare.
    That's really good news. I looked it up and not that expensive

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Yeah, but they aren't making the middle or rear seats easily removeable. Dumb.

Yeah, but they aren't making the middle or rear seats easily removeable. Dumb.
    Damn. I hadn't realized that. That kinda sucks.

Mostly I'm hoping the new hybrids mean that it's easier to get a 3-4 year old one for cheaper. Right now used siennas are pretty much unobtanium around me.

Ok, everyone, your prayers have been answered. Front wheel drive means better snow performance. Big spoiler means no rear end lift at speed.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200907_103800.jpeg 
Views:	165 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	339207Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200907_103816_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	169 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	339208Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200907_103825_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	164 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	339209
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Ok, everyone, your prayers have been answered. Front wheel drive means better snow performance. Big spoiler means no rear end lift at speed.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200907_103800.jpeg 
Views:	165 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	339207Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200907_103816_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	169 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	339208Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200907_103825_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	164 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	339209
    We saw that. Hard to stop for a pic, with all the roadwork going on.
    Looks so cool, but vaguely remember reading that they are way underpowered?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote:*The problem is weight distribution...
    Motorhomes, including the GMC, only have about 1/3 of their weight on the front axle...
    Going uphill, which is precisely when you need the most traction, the weight distribution gets even worse as the incline moves the center of gravity rearward...
    ...better plan on staying on pavement.  Wet grass, soft earth, loose sand and gravel, etc. will make the drive wheels spin...*

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Why wouldn't you use the exhaust brake? That's what it's for. I tow a 10k+lbs skid steer in the winter with my ram 2500, no big deal if you take your time. Chains should always go on back axle maybe one on front to steer.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    Engine brake in winter can get you in trouble, especially if your trailer passes you. I use it but not if the roads are slippery, not pulling a trailer much in the winter though. Trailer brake can straighten you out if needed
    Edit: ooops its been covered, recovered and covered again....of course.
    Smell those long haul guys all over the trailer brakes. Why not, they only pay for the brakes attached to the tractor
    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Engine brake in winter can get you in trouble, especially if your trailer passes you. I use it but not if the roads are slippery, not pulling a trailer much in the winter though. Trailer brake can straighten you out if needed
    Edit: ooops its been covered, recovered and covered again....of course.
    Smell those long haul guys all over the trailer brakes. Why not, they only pay for the brakes attached to the tractor
    It’s for the better. Some things need said a hundred times to keep folks safe. Wear a helmet, wear a seatbelt, don’t use your engine brake in low traction situations. I
    mean for fuck sake we still have to tell people to wash their hands in the plumbed world.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Quote:*The problem is weight distribution...
    Motorhomes, including the GMC, only have about 1/3 of their weight on the front axle...
    Going uphill, which is precisely when you need the most traction, the weight distribution gets even worse as the incline moves the center of gravity rearward...
    ...better plan on staying on pavement.  Wet grass, soft earth, loose sand and gravel, etc. will make the drive wheels spin...*

What does that mean for a FWD promaster based motorhome?

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    Thats front wheel drive? I guess it has a dog house with front engine. It would have brakes at all axles though. Is it air or disc brakes?Typically id set the rear brakes to engage a touch early, especially with trailer brakes.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    I had a travato for three years, it did fine. We chained up a few times when it was really slick but never had issues with traction from poor weight distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Hood View Post
    It’s for the better. Some things need said a hundred times to keep folks safe. Wear a helmet, wear a seatbelt, don’t use your engine brake in low traction situations. I
    mean for fuck sake we still have to tell people to wash their hands in the plumbed world.
    True dat. Pano is a smaat dude though. He probably figured it out in the first reply or 3. I was probably 7th. Small phone screen , i thought i was on the 2nd to the last page when i eeplied but there was a few more pages

the best skier is the one having the most fun------DC